The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 08-06-2019, 04:24 PM   #1
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Home Alone getting rebooted for Disney+

Apparently Home Alone is getting a reboot for the Disney+ service.
https://popculture.com/streaming/201...ks-at-disney-/
Old 08-07-2019, 02:52 AM   #2
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Let Mac be the burglar this time.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 04:13 AM   #3
AT-Man
I SEEN IT

Now with all female cast.

Through the Golden Door
AT-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 04:14 AM   #4
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Columbus says the planned 'Home Alone' remake by Disney Plus is a 'waste of time'

Are you involved at all with what Disney Plus is doing with their "Home Alone" remake?

No, nobody got in touch with me about it, and it's a waste of time as far as I'm concerned. What's the point? I'm a firm believer that you don't remake films that have had the longevity of "Home Alone." You're not going to create lightning in a bottle again. It's just not going to happen. So why do it? It's like doing a paint-by-numbers version of a Disney animated film — a live-action version of that. What's the point? It's been done. Do your own thing. Even if you fail miserably, at least you have come up with something original.

I can even be accused of it myself, with "Home Alone 2." That movie is basically a remake of the first "Home Alone." Does it need to exist? Yes, because some of those stunts make me laugh really hard, but I just don't believe it should be done. There's going to be a "Stoned Alone" with Ryan Reynolds. God only knows what that will be — a stoner version of "Home Alone?" (This was in development at Fox before it merged with Disney.) Listen, have fun. I just feel, do something new. Life is short.

'Home Alone' at 30: Director Chris Columbus talks Trump 'bullying his way' into a cameo and more never-before-told stories

Chris Columbus explains Donald Trump bullied his way into his ‘HOME ALONE 2’ cameo because he owned the hotel.

“We paid the fee, but he also said, 'The only way you can use the Plaza is if I'm in the movie.' So we agreed to put him in.”

https://www.insider.com/home-alone-3....co/ilZjsOMgtx
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 04:42 AM   #5
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Just make Home Alone 5 (yes, there was a 3 and 4) with Culkin as the dad. Same kind of scenario, but with an ironic 2020 sensibility. Writes itself.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 06:39 AM   #6
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Just make Home Alone 5 (yes, there was a 3 and 4) with Culkin as the dad. Same kind of scenario, but with an ironic 2020 sensibility. Writes itself.
After this thread was resurrected I looked up articles on the reboot and there actually is a Home Alone 5 already. I never heard of the television film until now and it reads terrible just like the others that don't have McCauley Culkin.

I am with Chris Columbus on this. Not interested in seeing a modern interpretation. I have seen Home Alone probably third most of any film after the first two TMNT films,but no thanks.
Old 11-13-2020, 07:13 AM   #7
Sumac
Banned

Another worthless remake?
I'll pass, thank you.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 07:42 AM   #8
sdp
-

They already tried a sequel with a new character set in the same universe, they tried a remake, they tried a reboot with new characters. This will be just another forgotten Home Alone sequel.

Quote:
There was already a Home Alone 5, this would be Home Alone 6. Adult Culkin as dad would be the best option, especially with how popular the parodies with adult culkin or other cast members have been but I don't see Disney doing that.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 07:19 PM   #9
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
There was already a Home Alone 5, this would be Home Alone 6.
Oh crap, you're right. I forgot there was a 5, and not even that long ago. Wow, Malcolm McDowell was slumming it in that? Yeesh.

Quote:
Adult Culkin as dad would be the best option, especially with how popular the parodies with adult culkin or other cast members have been but I don't see Disney doing that.
Probably not. Though Culkin has remained somehow scandal free growing up so as to keep himself non-radioactive to studios. It wouldn't need like a huge budget or anything, either.
Old 11-13-2020, 07:29 PM   #10
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Though Culkin has remained somehow scandal free growing up so as to keep himself non-radioactive to studios.
I know, considering how much of that time was spent sticking needles in his arm, I'm as shocked as you.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 09:18 PM   #11
Wildcat
Foot Elite

I mentioned this on Blu-ray forums.

It’s ridiculous that he’d be so upset when part 4 was done in continuity with the original 2 but with a different kid. He had to make sure to take a jab at Disney’s live action remakes too huh?

It’s funny that he seemingly only cares now that it’s technically a reboot to his. From the early description I’m guessing it could easily be Home Alone 6 but call it a reboot and people can’t wait to crap on it.

No reboot/remake is trying to outdo anything. They’re just different or modern takes.

I’ve seen all of them. I enjoyed 3. The worst was 4 and not just because it reused Kevin. I thought 5 was amusing. I find them interesting. This new one sounds like it’ll have the best production in awhile though.
Old 11-13-2020, 09:56 PM   #12
Leo656
The Franchise

For f*ck's sake, how many "new takes" do we NEED of a premise that's exactly as "deep" as, "Guy gets hit in the face with ______, falls down stairs, repeat"?

The fact that there were even TWO "Home Alone" movies stretches things beyond all credibility. And I don't even hate Part 2, it just has no reason whatsoever to exist. That fact increases exponentially with each successive sequel/remake.

One was plenty. Literally everything that needed to be done with the premise was done the first time. Dumb.

Old 11-13-2020, 10:41 PM   #13
Wildcat
Foot Elite

There can be many scenarios where thieves want to break into someone’s house. It’s a pretty broad idea. A comedy about burglars and kids is off the table forever now because of the original HA?

The only reason this particular version is gaining more attention than the others is because it’s labeled a reboot. If it was called Home Alone 6 or a subtitle I doubt he or anyone else would care enough to make these type of comments.
Old 11-13-2020, 10:50 PM   #14
Leo656
The Franchise

As always, your continued defense of the indefensible is astounding.

Old 11-13-2020, 11:28 PM   #15
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Ok seriously. Where were these comments with the last dtv movies and the one reusing the Kevin character? Ya they got the usual criticism for those type of movies but you really had to look up the thoughts of others who saw them.

They decide to make another one but this time for whatever reason label it a reboot and it gains more mainstream attention because of that 1 word. Look we’re talking about it when the rest just past us by.

So I can make a movie about a kid fighting burglars as long as I call it something else like Home Security.
Old 11-13-2020, 11:37 PM   #16
Leo656
The Franchise

You can in theory, but you shouldn't. Nobody should. Because it's stupid.

They shouldn't have even made more than one Home Alone movie in the first place. It's a dumb premise. The first movie outperformed over any expectations, and it's not a "bad" movie, it's certainly fun to watch and it's fine that it exists and everything, but objectively, it's very stupid. It's a one-note joke. "Bad guy fall down go boom." Over and over and over again. Who gives a sh*t? After you've seen the first one, you don't need any more of it.

Dumb. There's nothing there that even remotely suggests 5 or 6 movies worth of material. It's just a Bugs Bunny/Elmer Fudd cartoon dragged out to almost two hours. No need to do it more than once.

Simple things for simple minds. In other words: garbage.

Old 11-14-2020, 12:05 AM   #17
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Dumb. There's nothing there that even remotely suggests 5 or 6 movies worth of material. It's just a Bugs Bunny/Elmer Fudd cartoon dragged out to almost two hours. No need to do it more than once.
I can think of several ways to stretch things out right now.

(pretending that the existing 3-5 didn't exist)

Home Alone 3 (maybe with a strikethrough of "Alone" in the title and maybe we don't even need the 3): Around 14 now, a 13 year-old girl Kevin has a crush on gets cased by burglars. Some evening when her parents have to go to some kind of gala, they strike. Give her a babysitter who's probably up to no good (you know, sneaking in her boyfriend, whatever) that the burglars just tie up somewhere. Kevin makes her hip to what's coming and helps her prepare and roll with the punches. He learns that girls aren't so icky and we get sort of a team up movie. Alternately, lose the crush angle and make Kevin a little older and make HIM the babysitter.

Home Alone 4: Kevin, an adult now, reads about a string of Sticky/Wet Bandits-like copycat burglaries throughout his new neighborhood. He investigates and finds that Harry and Marv do have some understudies. Kevin outsmarts the new burglars and gloats to Harry and Marv -- still in prison -- at the end. More years are tacked to their sentence, of course, as their understudies join them in prison. This would just be some night, not Christmas again.

Home Alone 5: A rich oil tycoon in a high security mansion is able to make the bank foreclose on Kevin's dad's (who is forced into early retirement) house. His mom, who was counting on Kevin's dad for support, also needs money for a life-saving operation. Kevin, only working a crummy job, isn't able to do much... but he has an idea. He is going to BECOME a burglar. Harry and Marv are out of prison on probation and are actually totally rehabilitated. Kevin begs and begs them to help teach him how to best burgle the rich oil tycoon's mansion. Eventually he is able to appeal to their innate inner burglars, and they at least agree to give him some pointers and blueprints for the mansion and the security system. So one night Kevin strikes the mansion, going after the safe. Turns out there's been lots of security upgrades and traps he wasn't aware of and it becomes a cat and mouse game. At a critical moment, Harry and Marv DO show up to help Kevin and save the day. The rich oil tycoon gets robbed of all of his gold/cash, gets his mansion trashed (possibly burned to the ground or exploded somehow), Kevin's dad's house is saved, Kevin's mom gets her life saving surgery and Harry and Marv get their cut of the monies. Probably stuff about the rich oil tycoon can be revealed throughout the movie making him really seem like a scumbag, so we don't feel bad for him being robbed or anything. Set it on Halloween, just for fun.

Home Alone 6: Further along now, a good amount of time and years later. Kevin's now a doting father (but maybe he's a single father, co-parenting?) and managed to pull his life back together from the abyss. He works in security system design (maybe we see parts of a "day in the life" at his job, and we can see cameos from Harry and Marv as consultants at the same place), making a killing. At this point I don't see why we couldn't just do a requel to the first movie. i.e., Kevin is now the dad and... oops, he somehow "loses" a kid at home the same way his parents did with him twice. Just set this one at Christmas, for symmetry. Early on we establish Kevin has a "rival" at his company, who is older and doesn't take kindly to Kevin being the "golden goose" of the company when he's been working there much longer and doesn't get much credit. Basically he plans to ruin Kevin's life, starting with destroying his house. Additionally, maybe Kevin doesn't "lose" his kid, perhaps his rival kidnaps him while he's boarding an overseas flight to speak at a conference. Kevin's kid manages to foil Kevin's rival and get him busted and sent to jail. Maybe Kevin comes home in time to do the "big final move" to TKO his rival, before the police get there.

The end. We can stop there. I mean, I'd watch those.
Old 11-14-2020, 12:14 AM   #18
Leo656
The Franchise

Do some people just have a fetish for watching grown men stumble around tripping over toy cars and getting smacked in the face with paint cans?

Because we've seen it already. It's over with. No reason to do it again. Zero.

Old 11-14-2020, 01:02 AM   #19
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Well first is still the best but I think it’s fun seeing what new situations they come up with. Nothing wrong with dumb fun. Like I said the new one sounds like it’ll have a higher production again so that’s good.

Changing the holiday to Halloween is a great idea. Have a kid grounded at home for misbehaving and has to miss trick or treating while his family goes out for the night. Thieves dress up as monsters but the kid scares them off by pretending to haunt the house...Home Alone: Trick or Trick.

I know fake haunting has been done but it would make for a nice change up.

If they really wanna bring back Kevin (Culkin) maybe he can inherit a mansion. I’d have to think about it.
Old 11-14-2020, 06:54 AM   #20
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
Nothing wrong with dumb fun.
Sure there is. It's dumb. And dumbness shouldn't be excused nor encouraged. Definitely not celebrated.

On account of it's dumb.