The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 06-29-2017, 10:34 PM   #21
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Dumb, dumb, dumb. So if Japan wants to do their version of John Wick it needs to be played by a white guy who's a Japanese citizen living in Japan, because they exist?
No, but it should take place in the US. Just because it would be filmed in Japan, doesn't mean they have to make the movie take place there. America always has to Americanize everything, as if we're too stupid to not be able to relate to anything that's not 'Murican'.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 06:00 AM   #22
Allio
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Has there ever been a decent anime to live action adaptation?

I recently watched the live action Ranma 1/2 and it was pretty bad and that one I thought could actually work. Supposedly the Sailor Moon live action Toku is genuinely good.

Edit: oh wait Edge of Tomorrow was a great adaptation, never read the original manga but the movie was cool, City Hunter by Jackie Chan is awesome too though again I didn't read the source material, speed racer was neat, so i guess there are a few that work.
From what I've gathered, these are the best.

Ruroni Kenshin Trilogy (has a nice cross between realism and the exaggerated anime cliche)
Death Note - Good in a sense of a tv movie, not as a cinematic experience.
I personally liked Kikaider, but some would say it's a reboot cross of the manga and anime.
I hear Ghost in the shell is more on the positive (of course, looking beyond the "muh japanese actress for an android that has no race")
Keiji was good
and while I haven't seen them, I've heard good things about stuff like Nana and Gantz
Old 06-30-2017, 08:26 AM   #23
Splinter the boss
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post

Stop making live action films based on anime/manga, PLEASE.
Thank you.Well Said.

"I am absolute, lower your head!"
Splinter the boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 06:21 PM   #24
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allio View Post
From what I've gathered, these are the best.

Ruroni Kenshin Trilogy (has a nice cross between realism and the exaggerated anime cliche)
Death Note - Good in a sense of a tv movie, not as a cinematic experience.
I personally liked Kikaider, but some would say it's a reboot cross of the manga and anime.
I hear Ghost in the shell is more on the positive (of course, looking beyond the "muh japanese actress for an android that has no race")
Keiji was good
and while I haven't seen them, I've heard good things about stuff like Nana and Gantz
GItS was pretty good, actually. Quite a few of the scenes looked like they had been pulled right out of the anime movie. Granted it felt like it was missing something(not sure what exactly), but the story was interesting and her NOT being Japanese made sense for the plot. The characterizations were almost all spot on too.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 03:06 AM   #25
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I just saw it, here is my review. But basically the movie does a bunch of really dumb stuff with characters that makes you mad but it is its own take at the same time and at the end it sets up the "movie" we'd want to see.

If you can view it with an open mind you can enjoy it as it does do some things right, don't shrug it off because of how sloppily they handle the beginning. My biggest problem was L, he just didn't work at all, they should've taken the character an entirely different direction instead we got this mix of "well let's have him be like L but let's not.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 09:59 AM   #26
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

How's the CGI with Willem Dafoe?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 10:24 AM   #27
Allio
Foot Elite

Contrary to belief, that's just Defoe when he wakes up
Allio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 01:15 PM   #28
sdp
Megan Fox = April

You can tell it's cgi but it's good. His performance is also good but while I agree the casing was perfect his character is a bit dull and not handled very well.
Old 08-25-2017, 03:46 PM   #29
Allio
Foot Elite

I enjoyed the movie. The film's weakest parts was probably with the Watari plan. After all, I'm sure that L would have thought about that before hand and then up to the coma aspect.

I'm glad they changed Misa, she was one of the weakest aspects of the original series (you know, aside from the whole second half of the series) though my major problem it felt like the original Light's personality was split into the two, Light being the "idea" that what he was doing was for the good and while Mia becoming obsessed by the power. Then both halves accumulate into Light in the end.

final verdict, including every Live action adaptation of a japanese product I have seen (DBE, AoT, Parasyte, EoT, Keiji, Ruroni Kenshin) I would say that this is indeed one of the better ones.

One day we might have a consistent flow of good live action anime adaptations
Old 08-25-2017, 03:51 PM   #30
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I see a lot of people online decrying that watching this without having watched any of the anime stuff or whatever will "ruin your experience."

Is that true?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 04:04 PM   #31
Allio
Foot Elite

No, it wouldn't. Trust me. I can still enjoy Parasyte despite it's bad movie.
Old 08-25-2017, 07:32 PM   #32
sdp
Megan Fox = April

No, it's fans overreacting.

The movie won't really spoil anything as it does its own thing and the characters are all very different. Watch the movie, it isn't a great film by any means but it can be fun a la Final Destination which I saw some people comparing it to, I don't think its anything like FD but its also entertaining even if not more than that.
Old 08-26-2017, 02:13 AM   #33
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
I enjoyed the movie. The film's weakest parts was probably with the Watari plan. After all, I'm sure that L would have thought about that before hand and then up to the coma aspect.

I'm glad they changed Misa, she was one of the weakest aspects of the original series (you know, aside from the whole second half of the series) though my major problem it felt like the original Light's personality was split into the two, Light being the "idea" that what he was doing was for the good and while Mia becoming obsessed by the power. Then both halves accumulate into Light in the end.

final verdict, including every Live action adaptation of a japanese product I have seen (DBE, AoT, Parasyte, EoT, Keiji, Ruroni Kenshin) I would say that this is indeed one of the better ones.

One day we might have a consistent flow of good live action anime adaptations
You really felt Misa was a weak point originally? I felt she was one of the most tragic characters of the entire series. I couldn't help but feel sorry for her.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 01:31 PM   #34
Allio
Foot Elite

as an ending it was okay, but her base as an ditzy idol character is just so bland.
Old 08-26-2017, 11:45 PM   #35
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
as an ending it was okay, but her base as an ditzy idol character is just so bland.
I never viewed her as ditzy either. In what way was she ditzy? I pretty much viewed her as a broken woman with self esteem/self worth issues...although this is my view of her from the manga...I don't recall the anime much and for the live action films from years ago, I didn't care for her character.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 07:23 PM   #36
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
How's the CGI with Willem Dafoe?
It was actually pretty good surprisedly. That character was one of the only good things about this movie.
Quote:
Contrary to belief, that's just Defoe when he wakes up
Of all my years on the drone this is probably the best comment i have ever read
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 01:31 PM   #37
Allio
Foot Elite

bad or good, It doesn't really bother me. Like when Ghost in the SHell came out I am going to be able to get that new collection of Death Note for $30, Never owned anything of the series before so that is a steal for me.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:28 PM   #38
Allio
Foot Elite

welp, I'm about to binge watch the 4 death note films (1, THe Last Name, L change the world, and Light up the new world) so wish me luck. Sadly it doesn't see that "New Generation" the 3 episode tie-in to the fourth movie is subbed - on second look, I did find them
Old 09-01-2017, 01:48 AM   #39
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Light up the new world is one of the most awful sequel I had ever watched. Netflix's Death Note falls into the same category, just horrendous.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 05:10 AM   #40
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Wow, this movie was bad. It started interesting as a Final Destination featuring Ryuk, but that went nowhere.

Light was a very different character and of course he's the obvious Kira suspect, that dude looked he was in his final planning of his school shooting And L had some unforunate racial profiling with being rewritten as a angry temperamental guy with a gun and played by a Black man. Ryuk was hands down the best part of the movie, he looked scary and Dafoe's voice is great.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote