The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Toys and Collectibles

Notices

Old 02-02-2015, 05:39 PM   #1
Mew
Banned

The Masters of the Universe/She-Ra Thread!

MOTU collectors, WE HAVE THE POWER!
And honor.....
NOT NOW SHE-RA!
Come here to talk about collecting He-Man And She-Ra toys!
From today, or yesterday!
Mew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 10:43 PM   #2
Super Goku
Banned

I like the Masters of The Universe action figures. Most of my figures in this line are from Masters of The Universe Classics, the 6" to 7" figures with pretty good articulation. I wish these figures weren't so expensive. Mattycollector.com exclusives make them harder to get.

This topic reminds me that I should re-organize my collection.

Have you seen Shokoti?
Super Goku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 05:03 AM   #3
Mew
Banned

I have a good bit.
No, not yet.
Old 02-03-2015, 05:12 AM   #4
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Goku View Post
I like the Masters of The Universe action figures. Most of my figures in this line are from Masters of The Universe Classics, the 6" to 7" figures with pretty good articulation. I wish these figures weren't so expensive. Mattycollector.com exclusives make them harder to get.
You ain't F***IN' KIDDING.

If I'm not THE biggest He-Man fan ever, I'm definitely Top 5, and I don't have ONE of these damn things because of how rare/expensive they are.

...Although, given my current budget/lifestyle situation, even if they were mass-produced and sold at Toys R Us or whatever I may not be able to get them.

Still, knowing that actually having the complete set is gonna be more or less impossible for me now, it's kind of discouraging to even try and get into it. Which sucks, because those figures are really great and I love how they've "completed" the MOTU mythology with them.

I have a bunch of the original figures - mostly mangled from how much they were played with... most of them had multiple trips through the ol' Horde Slime Pit - and about 3/4 of the 2003 line. Right when they introduced the Snake Men stuff was where I fell out, because all the figures were disappearing off shelves and showing up on the other side of the mall behind the counter at the comic book store for $50 each within a day of being released. I even got the Castle Grayskull with the voice chips in it. F*cking BOSS. I really wanted to have the entire line since I'd come so far; maybe one day, since I"m not missing that many from that set.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 06:18 AM   #5
Mew
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
You ain't F***IN' KIDDING.

If I'm not THE biggest He-Man fan ever, I'm definitely Top 5, and I don't have ONE of these damn things because of how rare/expensive they are.

...Although, given my current budget/lifestyle situation, even if they were mass-produced and sold at Toys R Us or whatever I may not be able to get them.

Still, knowing that actually having the complete set is gonna be more or less impossible for me now, it's kind of discouraging to even try and get into it. Which sucks, because those figures are really great and I love how they've "completed" the MOTU mythology with them.

I have a bunch of the original figures - mostly mangled from how much they were played with... most of them had multiple trips through the ol' Horde Slime Pit - and about 3/4 of the 2003 line. Right when they introduced the Snake Men stuff was where I fell out, because all the figures were disappearing off shelves and showing up on the other side of the mall behind the counter at the comic book store for $50 each within a day of being released. I even got the Castle Grayskull with the voice chips in it. F*cking BOSS. I really wanted to have the entire line since I'd come so far; maybe one day, since I"m not missing that many from that set.
Yes too expensive.
For the 200X line, the over packing of He-Man and Skeletor variants didn't help your collection, I assume?
Old 02-03-2015, 06:47 AM   #6
Leo656
The Franchise

Well, I bought 'em, I tried to get one of every single figure, but it got to a point where you'd go to Toys R Us or Kay-Bee Toys, and ALL that would be on the shelves were dozens of He-Mans and Skeletors. Mattel completely ruined their own line by not shipping enough of certain figures.

What would happen is, a new wave would come out with a character everyone wanted, like Evil-Lyn, I remember that was a big one, and Mattel would ship the cases with ONE of those figures per case, and the rest would be all He-Mans and Skeletors. And these middle-aged "collectors" would get to the store the second they opened and wait for the stuff to be put on shelves, OR have one of their "friends" working stock pull all the Evil-Lyns or whatever and keep them in the back room for them, and these guys would literally buy all 5 or 10 or however many the store would get the day they came out, and then sell them all on Ebay for two or three times the regular price. So the store would be stuck with just the figures everyone already had, and regular shoppers had to wait for the next shipment to come in, which could be who knows when, OR pay the inflated Ebay prices.

I got lucky, my wife briefly worked at Toys R Us and so she was able to pull a couple for me. Plus, I was friends with the guy who ran my local comic shop, and he'd let me know in advance what days the new figures were going to be shipped to all the stores - like, "Everyone's getting the cases with Beast-Man tomorrow. I'll try and hold one for you just in case." And so my wife and I would go all over to like 5 stores trying to find that one figure. Sometimes we got lucky, and sometimes I'd have to go to the comic store and pay an extra $5-10 bucks.

None of it needed to happen like that, though. All Mattel had to do was ship more than one of those "rare" figures per case. Once word got out that you basically couldn't find the "good" figures in stores at all, people completely stopped buying the line, and when that happened, Mattel cancelled the whole thing and the cartoon show as well.

It sucked. At the end of it I'd go into a (different) comic shop - even my buddy decided ordering them for his store was too much of a hassle anymore, since he'd be stuck with a dozen unsold He-Mans - and see King Hiss or someone on the top shelf for $30 the same day it came out. I was sad, but I just couldn't justify it anymore.

What makes me sad NOW is, realizing how long ago that was since it feels like just a little while ago.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 07:35 AM   #7
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

MOTUC figures aren't that expensive, it's $27 in the web store, where they have the "essential" figures in stock. Although, I might have a skewered idea what's expensive for people on countries where toys are cheaper.

Where I live TMNT figures goes for $13 and Marvel Legends figures goes for $40, and that's TRU prices.

I was lucky to get Castle Grayskull while it was still only $200.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 07:35 AM   #8
Mew
Banned

Yes.
Seems like TMNT is doing that with the new light skined Bebop.
I've seen the dark one EVERY time at Walmart, but yeah, getting off topic.
:\
Old 02-03-2015, 07:37 AM   #9
Mew
Banned

WHAT!
Marvel Legends are usually 20, and TmnT is 9!
Old 02-03-2015, 03:03 PM   #10
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Not where I live.
Old 02-04-2015, 03:06 AM   #11
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

I love Masters of the Universe Classics, but I realised early on that I was never going to get a complete set. They weren't too expensive in the beginning, but with shipping at $10 a pop, I couldn't bring myself to pay for variants and characters I didn't really like the look of.

It was a bitch to buy them in the first couple of years too. From where I live, they go on sale at midnight, or 1:00am depending on US daylight savings, and I spent many a workday dead on my feet because I was up half the night at mercy of Digital River.

I think they are a trifle too expensive now, and the exchange rate isn't as favourable as it was a couple of years ago. I still by them, but I skip a lot more than I used to.

I have a fair whack of the 200X figures, including Grayskull, but nowhere near a complete set. I think I had more fun collecting this line than the Classics, as they were available in retail stores, so I could hunt around. It's not as exciting buying toys on the internet every month. Their style hasn't aged well for me, but I still think they're cool. 200X Whiplash is one of my favourite figures of all time.

I still have a lot of the original figures that I got as a kid, but for whatever reason, I'm not interested in collecting them now.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:12 AM   #12
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Due to cautionary tales from a friend of mine, I jumed right on subs for MOTUC when I could afford it. The online store is/was a nightmare, and new figures vanished in mere minutes at times...
Old 02-04-2015, 01:42 PM   #13
Mew
Banned

Yes.
I would just get a He-Man, Skeletor, She-Ra, and Hordak to display.
I would also want Ram Man.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:16 PM   #14
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
Due to cautionary tales from a friend of mine, I jumed right on subs for MOTUC when I could afford it. The online store is/was a nightmare, and new figures vanished in mere minutes at times...
I did pretty well without a subscription, i.e. I never missed out on something I wanted because it sold out, but that meant chaining myself to the computer one night a month. Obviously I missed out on all the subscription only stuff, which was disappointing. They killed me with Two Bad, but I guess that's just too bad...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MewMeow View Post
I would also want Ram Man.
Good luck with Ram Man.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:08 PM   #15
LincolnHawk
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
MOTUC figures aren't that expensive, it's $27 in the web store, where they have the "essential" figures in stock. Although, I might have a skewered idea what's expensive for people on countries where toys are cheaper.

Where I live TMNT figures goes for $13 and Marvel Legends figures goes for $40, and that's TRU prices.

I was lucky to get Castle Grayskull while it was still only $200.
ha..I was subbing a few years ago and the price was 20 bucks, and even at that price I thought they were expensive, I finally stopped giving mattycollector my money
Old 02-10-2015, 10:12 AM   #16
AT-Man
I SEEN IT

I love the MOTUC line, but never had the money to actually collect them. I did, however, get a hold of King Grayskull, who is my favorite new character from the 200X series. I would like to have Unnamed One too, for I'm one of the few who think he's just awesome! But the next best thing is to watch Pixel Dan's thorough reviews of the figures, so I've got that going for me.

I was a fan of the vintage line back in the day, and the 200X just blew me away when I saw it! I've collected every basic version of the 200X figures (minus Moss Man and She-Ra and other exclusives who I don't think are "official") and tried to get all the vehicles and accessories too. I think I'm only missing the Dragon Walker and Battle Bones. Not interested in the repaints and I've gotten just some of the variants, if they were cheap and I thought "why not?"

The vintage figures aren't in very good condition, so I wouldn't display them unless I got better replacements. I'd really like to put all the 200X figures on display though, but got no space.

I think Scott did mostly very good job with the MOTUC bios and building the lore, even though he unnecessarily killed off one of my favorite bad guys, Mer-Man! I mean, WTF Scott??? But at least everyone's got their own "official" canon for the figures, and I'm just glad the MOTUC line includes pretty much everyone. I would have liked all of the New Adventures figures also, but those aren't too important for me.

edit: also, MewMeow, I think it's great the younger generation are still interested in MOTU! I mean, I think you were barely born when the 200X series aired, right? How did you become interested in them?

Through the Golden Door

Last edited by AT-Man; 02-10-2015 at 10:18 AM.
AT-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 10:39 AM   #17
AT-Man
I SEEN IT

http://toynewsi.com/ig.php?mode=albu...art=0&sl=24242

New figures, some of them from the 200X cartoon! They all look fantastic, but I hope they also add a 200X head with Sssqueze.

Through the Golden Door
AT-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 10:43 AM   #18
Mew
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT-Man View Post
I love the MOTUC line, but never had the money to actually collect them. I did, however, get a hold of King Grayskull, who is my favorite new character from the 200X series. I would like to have Unnamed One too, for I'm one of the few who think he's just awesome! But the next best thing is to watch Pixel Dan's thorough reviews of the figures, so I've got that going for me.

I was a fan of the vintage line back in the day, and the 200X just blew me away when I saw it! I've collected every basic version of the 200X figures (minus Moss Man and She-Ra and other exclusives who I don't think are "official") and tried to get all the vehicles and accessories too. I think I'm only missing the Dragon Walker and Battle Bones. Not interested in the repaints and I've gotten just some of the variants, if they were cheap and I thought "why not?"

The vintage figures aren't in very good condition, so I wouldn't display them unless I got better replacements. I'd really like to put all the 200X figures on display though, but got no space.

I think Scott did mostly very good job with the MOTUC bios and building the lore, even though he unnecessarily killed off one of my favorite bad guys, Mer-Man! I mean, WTF Scott??? But at least everyone's got their own "official" canon for the figures, and I'm just glad the MOTUC line includes pretty much everyone. I would have liked all of the New Adventures figures also, but those aren't too important for me.

edit: also, MewMeow, I think it's great the younger generation are still interested in MOTU! I mean, I think you were barely born when the 200X series aired, right? How did you become interested in them?
I had a McDonald's toy of 200X Ram Man, and I took it EVERYWHERE.
I have a new one now.
That stupid little toy made me like He-man.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:11 AM   #19
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

The new King Hsss, broke a bit off the peg when I tried out his Snake mode. I managed to glue the piece back on, but the waist swivel is a lot more looser now, such a bummer. the fugyre is superb besides that.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:01 AM   #20
Walkabout
Stone Warrior

I used to have a great collection of the original MOTU toys as a little kid.

My mum and dad still laugh about this story:

It was the night before my birthday (I was about 5 maybe?) and my folks were assembling the Castle Greyskull they had bought me and I walked into their bedroom...the look on my face said "so THIS is what you do once I've gone to bed!"

They had to let me stay up and play with it

R.I.P. Dave Brockie A.K.A. Oderus Urungus
None But The Brave
Walkabout is offline   Reply With Quote