The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 01-24-2018, 12:43 AM   #61
slingtheory
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
That's looking at being a teenager through a very human, very western lens. Don't. Growing up a teenager in a home with TV, school, school sports, popular kids, unpopular kids, "what do I wear today??", prom, etc., is quite different than growing up as a teenager in a sewer you've spent your whole life in, conditioned from almost birth by your "Dad" whose everyday main purpose is raising you to one day kill a man who is a master ninja. Most of the nonsense we equate to "average angsty teenagers" simply doesn't and cannot apply no matter how much various TMNT writers want it to ("I've always complained that the TMNT aren't like teenagers enough!!" blah blah).
but isn't this also looking at the turtles through a very mirage lens. The characters in the original movie aren't the same as the ones in the comics. Splinter didn't train them from mutation to kill a man. he just wanted them to be able to protect themselves from a world that would never understand them.
These guys have never had to kill before and only had their first real fight shortly before meeting april. Under those circumstances whether you think they have anything in common with "normal" teenagers or not you can still accept that they've suddenly been thrown into a strange new dynamic. For the first time in their lives they don't have their father to guide them and are left to make their own way in a world they've only had limited interaction with up to that point.
When finally face to face with the man responsible for taking splinter from them and he's taunting them he might be dead it's perfectly reasonable for Leo to act like an angsty teen in that moment imo. Because really what is a teenager but a young person who's trying to figure the world and themselves out while learning to function independent from a parental figure.
slingtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 01:03 AM   #62
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingtheory View Post
but isn't this also looking at the turtles through a very mirage lens. The characters in the original movie aren't the same as the ones in the comics. Splinter didn't train them from mutation to kill a man. he just wanted them to be able to protect themselves from a world that would never understand them.
These guys have never had to kill before and only had their first real fight shortly before meeting april. Under those circumstances whether you think they have anything in common with "normal" teenagers or not you can still accept that they've suddenly been thrown into a strange new dynamic. For the first time in their lives they don't have their father to guide them and are left to make their own way in a world they've only had limited interaction with up to that point.
When finally face to face with the man responsible for taking splinter from them and he's taunting them he might be dead it's perfectly reasonable for Leo to act like an angsty teen in that moment imo. Because really what is a teenager but a young person who's trying to figure the world and themselves out while learning to function independent from a parental figure.
Well it kind of comes down to how it would come down in any other franchise. If you don't want your new thing to adhere to how they're supposed to be in the source material... well, I guess you can really do whatever you want. I mean, go ahead, if that's what you wanna do. You can do whatever.

But then... that's just you doing whatever.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 10:10 AM   #63
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutch View Post
Off the top of my head...

-Tighten up some lip syncing.
-Add blinking eyes.
-New orchestral score. I love John Du Prez’s score, don’t get me wrong, but I wouldn’t mind hearing something a bit more timeless as an alternative.
-Add blood where appropriate (Leo slices some guys pretty good in the movie)
-Re-add the scene where Shredder fights the foot soldiers.
-Re-add the scene of Mikey unable to cope with Splinters disappearance.
-Add a CG wide shot of the fight on the streets before the rooftop showdown to show the scope of the action.

This one ventures more into a fan-edit than anything but I’d like to keep Shredder completely mute until “Ah, the RAT! So it has a name. …It had a name.” I like the idea of Shredder being this imposing SOB who enters the roman without saying a word everyone goes silent.

Thats… about it, really.
These are fantastic ideas. Mostly because they seem just within the realm of possibility. I can't imagine them adding blood, but I'd appreciate it. And I think the change to Shredder is unnecessary. Overall, these are some excellent changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
That's looking at being a teenager through a very human, very western lens. Don't. Growing up a teenager in a home with TV, school, school sports, popular kids, unpopular kids, "what do I wear today??", prom, etc., is quite different than growing up as a teenager in a sewer you've spent your whole life in, conditioned from almost birth by your "Dad" whose everyday main purpose is raising you to one day kill a man who is a master ninja. Most of the nonsense we equate to "average angsty teenagers" simply doesn't and cannot apply no matter how much various TMNT writers want it to ("I've always complained that the TMNT aren't like teenagers enough!!" blah blah).

Andrew, I see your reasoning, but if we're referencing the source material, even Mirage showed the turtles to act like human teenagers. They goofed off, they played, they lost their temper. In fact, Raphael having a short temper and lack of discipline/control was his first defining characteristic in the Mirage books. Being raised their whole lives to assassinate a man they never knew apparently wasn't enough to take the "teenage" out of them.

Last edited by AquaParade; 01-24-2018 at 10:31 AM.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 04:42 PM   #64
Wesley
Mad Scientist

I think TMNT 1990 is perfect the way it is, though some bonus features such as an audio commentary and interviews with the cast would be nice.

There is already a 30-minute documentary “Making of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles” on the TMNT 1990 uk dvd, at least on the one I got as part of a 3-disc movie collection with all 3 90s live-action movies.

Last edited by Wesley; 03-14-2018 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Added info about 30-minute documentary.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:38 PM   #65
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Id want Shout Factory to do the Special Edition they have done some great ones of Bill and Ted and Army of Darkness. They get my seal of approval. Add in some special features and other things.
Old 03-14-2018, 05:57 PM   #66
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
Id want Shout Factory to do the Special Edition they have done some great ones of Bill and Ted and Army of Darkness. They get my seal of approval. Add in some special features and other things.
That's who I'd want to do it too. Although, as far as I know, they don't have much of a history with Warner Bros. When they announced their special edition of The Lawnmower Man, a film distributed by New Line Cinemas, many people, including myself, inquired about the possibility of WB/NLC releases. Shout said they licensed the film from another company. Bummer.

WB may not be motivated to license their catalog titles since they have Warner Archives now. WAC has been expanding their catalogue, including Blu Ray releases of Batman: Mask of the Phantasm, Batman & Mr. Freeze: Sub-Zero, Leatherface: Texas Chainsaw Massacre III, and recently the TV cut of Superman: The Movie. As far as I'm aware, they don't produce new features for these releases, so if they did TMNT, it would probably still be bare bones.

Granted, Shout can be a little hit and miss on special features, as well.
sgtfbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 06:51 PM   #67
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

A dude can dream...

d_osborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 07:47 AM   #68
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
Oh come on. That covers way too cool for it to actually happen.

We all know it'll end up something like this...

Dem da berries
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 09:27 AM   #69
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

Criterion has consistently great cover design. They normally publish art house movies, but The Rock and Ghostbusters are both on their roster. It'll never happen, but hey-- shoot for the moon!
Old 03-15-2018, 02:46 PM   #70
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Got bored and made another.

Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 03:14 PM   #71
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
There is already a 30-minute documentary “Making of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles” on the TMNT 1990 uk dvd, at least on the one I got as part of a 3-disc movie collection with all 3 90s live-action movies.
That was from around the time of the film's release. Something more up to date but be appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtfbomb View Post
WB may not be motivated to license their catalog titles since they have Warner Archives now. WAC has been expanding their catalogue, including Blu Ray releases of Batman: Mask of the Phantasm, Batman & Mr. Freeze: Sub-Zero, Leatherface: Texas Chainsaw Massacre III, and recently the TV cut of Superman: The Movie.
What has left me scratching my head is why they haven't added any extras for Mask of the Phantasm which is seen by the fans as probably the best Batman movie ever. It's extremely odd considering Warner are prepping to release the animated series on blu-ray later this year.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 04:13 PM   #72
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

Quote:
It's incredibly fun! Great cover, too!

Agreed on Mask of the Phantasm, pferreira. It's a head scratcher.
Old 03-15-2018, 05:18 PM   #73
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:

http://i67.tinypic.com/28cnb89.png
I LOVE this. Nice idea.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 02:56 PM   #74
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
What has left me scratching my head is why they haven't added any extras for Mask of the Phantasm which is seen by the fans as probably the best Batman movie ever. It's extremely odd considering Warner are prepping to release the animated series on blu-ray later this year.
It's not unusual for Warner Archives. They really don't seem to create special features and the releases that do have bonus material simply ported them over from older DVD versions.* The special features boom of the early 2000s is long gone. Major studios are no longer interested in producing a lot of it. Even the bonus material for new films are a joke. You actually see stickers that advertise "1 hour of special features" as if that's a big deal. I remember when the same stickers said 6 to 8 hours.

Licensed companies like Criterion, Shout Factory, Arrow, and Kino Lorber are keeping the dream alive**, but then again, I remember when Anchor Bay produced DVDs rich with bonus content. All it takes is for a company like Starz to come in and stale things up.***

*One could argue the remastered, 3-hour TV cut of Superman: The Movie is a new "special feature." I surprised WAC did that. Perhaps it could be a test run for other such releases with alternate cuts?

**In the US, at least.

***Shout's releases have had some positive effect with studios. Warner Bros., Universal, and Disney (via Disney Movie Club) have put more effort into releasing their catalog titles and in many cases, are using the original poster art instead of that hokey crap you usually see on today's home video releases. Unfortunately, no new special features.
Old 03-22-2018, 03:24 PM   #75
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
It's not unusual for Warner Archives. They really don't seem to create special features and the releases that do have bonus material simply ported them over from older DVD versions.* The special features boom of the early 2000s is long gone. Major studios are no longer interested in producing a lot of it. Even the bonus material for new films are a joke.
But that's the thing: even back when Mask of the Phantasm got a release without extras the actual TV series had loads of extras made for the Complete Series boxset which I presume will be ported to the upcoming blu-ray release. I'm sure they'll include some new extras so considering the Complete Series got so much why does one of the best Batman movies get ignored on home video formats? Again they've just released Batman & Mr. Freeze: SubZero on blu-ray, no extras. Just weird.

Quote:
Warner Bros., Universal, and Disney (via Disney Movie Club) have put more effort into releasing their catalog titles and in many cases, are using the original poster art instead of that hokey crap you usually see on today's home video releases. Unfortunately, no new special features.
I'd be hard pressed to find any effort Disney have been putting into their live action movie releases of yesteryear either a complete lack of publicity or any extra features. I mean Honey I Shrunk the Kids was a hugely successful film, what gives Disney??? Their straight to DVD/blu-ray movies get more effort put in.
Old 03-22-2018, 05:58 PM   #76
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
I'd be hard pressed to find any effort Disney have been putting into their live action movie releases of yesteryear either a complete lack of publicity or any extra features. I mean Honey I Shrunk the Kids was a hugely successful film, what gives Disney??? Their straight to DVD/blu-ray movies get more effort put in.
I would love for that film to get the deluxe treatment. The same goes for Poltergeist, Hook, Dick Tracy, and a number of other films (including TMNT, obviously) that made it through the bonus feature boom with little effort from the studios.

There are also films like The Goonies, Ghostbusters I & II, and Die Hard, which received special editions, but deserve better, more comprehensive material, including legitimate documentaries in some cases.

And then there's The Abyss, which isn't even available on Blu Ray nor Digital HD, even though it has a significant place in vfx history with the pseudopod sequence.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:11 AM   #77
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Ghostbusters I & II... deserve better, more comprehensive material, including legitimate documentaries.
I keep telling myself--Less eBay, more After Effects.

110% agree on Dick Tracy. Warren Beaty actually made a documentary about the movie, but never released it. Apparently he was in character hosting it, too. Something to do with copyright renewal, kinda like the Roger Corman Fantastic Four. I would go NUTS to see it.

I'll add THE ROCKETEER to the list of movies completely left in the supplemental content by Disney. I saw someone call it the prototype MCU film not too long ago. Interesting comparison. Shame it doesn't get more attention from the Mouse.

Last edited by d_osborn; 03-23-2018 at 12:18 AM.
Old 03-23-2018, 01:00 PM   #78
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

Quote:
I keep telling myself--Less eBay, more After Effects.
I've been looking forward to Cleanin' Up the Town for years. I can't to see it, but I do fear that the thing that happened to Turtle Power (and His Name Is Jason before it, as well as a number of other fan documentaries) will happen to it. I hope it stays as comprehensive as it sounds.

Quote:
110% agree on Dick Tracy. Warren Beaty actually made a documentary about the movie, but never released it. Apparently he was in character hosting it, too. Something to do with copyright renewal, kinda like the Roger Corman Fantastic Four. I would go NUTS to see it.

I'll add THE ROCKETEER to the list of movies completely left in the supplemental content by Disney. I saw someone call it the prototype MCU film not too long ago. Interesting comparison. Shame it doesn't get more attention from the Mouse.
I believe Dick Tracy had a number of deleted material, as well. I seem to recall an anniversary screening that had a Q&A with Beaty. If only that were included on the Blu Ray.

I love The Rocketeer. It deserves better. It always has. When it came out, it was considered a box office disappointment. I never could understand why it didn't build an audience. When I saw that image of him standing, looking up in the air, with his jet pack, I knew I had to see it. Other kids had to feel the same way.

I wish Disney would license out their catalog films, such as Something Wicked This Way Comes, Never Cry Wolf, and the aforementioned Dick Tracy, Rocketeer, and Honey, I Shrunk the Kids. Years back, they licensed out Watcher in the Woods to Anchor Bay.
Old 03-23-2018, 01:30 PM   #79
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

Quote:
I've been looking forward to Cleanin' Up the Town for years. I can't to see it, but I do fear that the thing that happened to Turtle Power (and His Name Is Jason before it, as well as a number of other fan documentaries) will happen to it. I hope it stays as comprehensive as it sounds.
While I don't have ultimate control or ownership over Cleanin', I think you'll be pleased.
Old 03-23-2018, 01:31 PM   #80
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
I would love for that film to get the deluxe treatment. The same goes for Poltergeist, Hook, Dick Tracy, and a number of other films (including TMNT, obviously) that made it through the bonus feature boom with little effort from the studios.
Poltergeist has a couple of legal issues around it for the studio to make a doc about, Hook was seen as a bit of a disaster by the studio and director so chances there are slim, same goes for Dick Tracy while TMNT depends on interest from the current rights holder.

Quote:
There are also films like The Goonies, Ghostbusters I & II, and Die Hard, which received special editions, but deserve better, more comprehensive material, including legitimate documentaries in some cases.
*Die Hard does need a better documentary covering each film I agree.
*The Goonies also needs a doc as well.
*GB I and II I totally agree with although I find it sad that the fans (the Buenos) have had to make the comprehensive doc the studio should of made. Maybe Sony will licence it for an upcoming release?

Quote:
And then there's The Abyss, which isn't even available on Blu Ray nor Digital HD, even though it has a significant place in vfx history with the pseudopod sequence.
James Cameron was asked recently about The Abyss and apparently it's on his to do list although I hope he doesn't destroy the picture quality with teal like he did on the remaster of T2.

Quote:
I wish Disney would license out their catalog films,
I guess it's asking too much for Disney to make documentaries for the Escape to Witch Mountain movies?

Quote:
Warren Beaty actually made a documentary about the movie, but never released it. Apparently he was in character hosting it, too. Something to do with copyright renewal, kinda like the Roger Corman Fantastic Four. I would go NUTS to see it.
You mean this?

But yeah they really should try and get the 1994 FF movie released properly. It's the best FF so far.

Quote:
I'll add THE ROCKETEER to the list of movies completely left in the supplemental content by Disney. I saw someone call it the prototype MCU film not too long ago. Interesting comparison.
It was considered a flop. Also I can honestly say The Rocketeer is better than anything Marvel have put out with the MCU.