The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Toys and Collectibles

Notices

Old 03-15-2018, 07:39 AM   #81
inaheap
Mad Scientist

Rip tru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I can't remember the last time I went to a store to buy a videogame or a toy.
I can. Was in my TRU two weeks ago. Mine has always been priced right in line with other stores in the area. Problem is usually they are a Wave or two behind. That was not always a bad thing though. I hope somebody does buy them, and keeps them a toy store. We still need toy stores.

We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing

When I became an adult I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.
inaheap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 08:16 AM   #82
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Rest in peace, Toys "R" Us®.

May the workers be granted with the best wishes for their future.

Last edited by Papenbrook; 03-15-2018 at 07:05 PM.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 12:03 PM   #83
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

TRU Gift Cards are good for 30 days

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/4272680...mpression=true
Old 03-15-2018, 04:27 PM   #84
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
I got one of my cousins a $25 gift card for Christmas, and I still don't know if he has ever used it yet. If anything, there are places where you can just cash the gift card if it ever becomes too late to use it at a TRU store. I recommend raise.com.
But would sites like that still take gift cards that no longer have any value though, if too late...? I can't see them doing that.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 06:16 PM   #85
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

https://kotaku.com/toys-r-us-rip-one...ven-1823816178

------------

I've been reading it isn't even Amazon or video games that killed Toys 'R' Us. It still could have survived. No, it was bought years back and used as a debt dumping ground, with designs for it to fail using accounting tricks to rack up debt and stifle its ability to adjust to a changing market, mainly to profit off its failure. Private equity in action.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamhar.../#7582e5958eab

So yeah. Hedge funds killed Toys 'R' Us, not a changing world. That's kind of disgusting, to me.
Old 03-15-2018, 06:47 PM   #86
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

It's pretty much the exact thing that has happened to Sears as well; CEO is some former Goldman Sach's, financial investor, hedge fund guy... Not a businessman who cares about the retail industry. He never touched retail before Sears/Kmart.

Sounds like people are grabbing these companies to bleed them dry for their own gain. And to do it to such longtime businesses is particularly disgusting...

As I've wondered before about my own... wonder who they'll buy next to bleed the life out of?
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 08:39 PM   #87
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
Originally Posted by inaheap View Post
I can. Was in my TRU two weeks ago. Mine has always been priced right in line with other stores in the area. Problem is usually they are a Wave or two behind. That was not always a bad thing though. I hope somebody does buy them, and keeps them a toy store. We still need toy stores.
I did get an SNES Classic last year from TRU, for a friend who couldn't get one for herself. I also bought two amiibos last year. Before that, the last video game I ever got from them was The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess for the Wii back in 2007, and even got a Wii before that time in the same year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
But would sites like that still take gift cards that no longer have any value though, if too late...? I can't see them doing that.
Okay now I just learned that the site I suggested is only taking them from select sellers. Even I wouldn't be able to do it for some reason. I was just trying to help anyway.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 07:15 AM   #88
inaheap
Mad Scientist

I wonder if they will remain online since they are keeping their Canadian stores.

We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing

When I became an adult I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.
inaheap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 03:40 PM   #89
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl316bh View Post
It was bought years back and used as a debt dumping ground, with designs for it to fail using accounting tricks to rack up debt and stifle its ability to adjust to a changing market, mainly to profit off its failure. Private equity in action.

So yeah. Hedge funds killed Toys 'R' Us, not a changing world. That's kind of disgusting, to me.
That is a really sh*tty way of maintaining a company. 'Maintaining' is used loosely here.

It's also sad to know that the place 'Where A Kid Can Be A Kid', will no longer be around for anyone / everyone to enjoy.

Like Inaheap mentioned, I also wonder if TrU will go on to be an online store. For example, Circuit City became an online store after it ceased to be a physical superstore chain back in 2009.

Last edited by DarkFell; 03-17-2018 at 04:34 AM.
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 04:03 AM   #90
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

I found some news here

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/to...ess-2018-03-16
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 08:43 AM   #91
Storm Eagle
Saved by

So here's one of my best TRU memories I from 2007 when I got a Wii, which was actually on this day of that year.

I got up early one Sunday morning to go to a Target to see if they might have one. I read somewhere that they usually start selling new shipments of them on Sunday, and they tend to go in two hours. I went to Target, and found nothing. Then I went to another Target, and found nothing. So I decided to go to TRU, which wasn't even opened yet. I drove by one, and I saw people out there standing on a line, yet not a long one. I'm sitting in my car wondering what a bunch of grown ass people, and not many kids, could be doing lined up in front of a store like TRU. Later on I just decided to go and ask what it was all about. The ones I asked said they were on line hoping to get a Wii. So I just decided to wait with them. Then this lady comes out handing out flyers saying that they have Wiis available, and she said there are about 100 of them in stock. That was more than enough to satisfy the length of the queue. Now what I had overlooked was that I had to accept Sonic and the Secret Rings in the package, and that just added about $50 more to the cost. Thankfully I actually had enough money on me to accept the bundle. We all even got $30 gift cards with our bundles. I didn't really want the game, and I was going to try and sell it. I was actually able to return it to a store the day after. Then I used the gift card to buy The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:12 AM   #92
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Looks like May 14th is the last day for some employees.

Last Movie Watched: Leprechaun Origins (2014).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E11).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:22 AM   #93
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

...and now there is rumblings that K-B toys might be returning from the dead to fill in the gap left by Toys-r-us. Talk about expecting the unexpected XD

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:31 AM   #94
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan View Post
...and now there is rumblings that K-B toys might be returning from the dead to fill in the gap left by Toys-r-us. Talk about expecting the unexpected XD
Makes sense. The largest toystore is kaput, drowned under its own debt. Kay B has had 20 years to learn from both its own mistakes as well as Toys 'R' Us's and -- hopefully -- how to be and stay relevant.

Though this may fall into "be careful what you wish for" territory. I imagine a Kay B toystore in 2018 would probably largely look like this:

Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:57 AM   #95
The Deadman
Foot Elite

You say that like its a bad thing

Last Movie Watched: Leprechaun Origins (2014).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E11).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 12:06 PM   #96
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Deadman View Post
You say that like its a bad thing
It is. A VERY bad thing.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 12:11 PM   #97
AquaParade
Banned

What is Funko Pop's secret to success? Is it the ability to obtain licenses to whatever they desire, in a way their competition fails at?

I have one Funko Pop, and it's a Gerard Way one. It's not that I am in love with the Funko design, but where else was I going to find a purchasable figure of Gerard Way or a shirtless Jeff Goldblum?
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 12:18 PM   #98
Donatello19
Merchandise Maniac

I think it's just the fact that they have pretty much any license you can think of, they're inexpensive, and they're everywhere. I think they're cheap, ugly and a really embarrassing way for Funko to cash in on "geek culture"...but I'd be lying if I said I haven't picked up a few. For example, the Hercules set that just released. Disney never gives Hercules any new merch, so I'll take what I can get

I'll really miss TRU, it's been a part of my childhood forever and some of my earliest memories involve going there. It's sad to see it go, but I can't say I'm surprised. There's one right around my house and every time I've went in in the past few years, it's been a ghost town. It's busy NOW with everyone using up their gift cards and trying to get good sales, busiest I've seen it since the amiibo craze a few years back.
Donatello19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 02:16 PM   #99
sdp
-

I never liked KB Toys as a kid, their prices for regular stuff was always higher and they didn't have as much variety. I still have nostalgia for it and those bins full of discounted toys andas a kid it was a must stop for me every time we went to the mall right after babbages and Walden Books.

I hate Funko's it's the eyes that kill the designs for me, if not I might be all over them since I don't mind the super deformed look too much even if most look so generic since they're almost the same molds. I don't understand the appeal but whatever, I have to give them credit that they've made figures of things I never expected to ever get figures. Too bad I still won't get them because they're so ugly.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 03:49 PM   #100
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
What is Funko Pop's secret to success? Is it the ability to obtain licenses to whatever they desire, in a way their competition fails at?

I have one Funko Pop, and it's a Gerard Way one. It's not that I am in love with the Funko design, but where else was I going to find a purchasable figure of Gerard Way or a shirtless Jeff Goldblum?
What's so big about those things anyway? Besides their heads.