The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 01-24-2019, 04:28 PM   #1
Toxin45
Hench Mutant

In IDW is Ch'rell replacing Krang?

I mean with Shredder returning in the main series resurrected again and with new big bads of Bishop,Null,Maligna,and The Dragon along with classic big bad Shredder and Krang but with Ch'rell's appearance means that Ch'rell will become a big bad after Krang's death with him as the main tentacled alien villain with a robotic power suit and the story sets it up as such so what are your thoughts?
Toxin45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 06:49 PM   #2
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

It's less a matter of "is" and more a matter of "how is"

Because Ch'rell is already telling a very different story than Krang.

He's the right hand to a prince.

He has a sister that he's going to have devastating conflicts with, but a different conflict from what Krang had with his father.

He has such extreme devotion to Krang that said sister was so afraid of what he'd do upon finding out he was imprisoned, that she preferred to keep him in stasis. And even longer after Krang was killed. Long enough that now, she adds more kindling to whatever anger he'd already have over Krang's arrest and death, built on top of her working with the Triceratons practically behind his back.

He also hasn't had three centuries of isolation from his own kind and being forced to rely on other species for survival, but forgoing real socialization. He'll have his own friends and colleagues in a way Krang probably refused to initiate while he was the only Utrom awake. He'll have a family member, as much as they're going to be at odds with each other. He'll have everything Krang didn't have. The big difference is, for being the formidable team they seemed to be implied to be, no matter what, one is missing the other. Even when one had everything the other didn't.

Ch'rell isn't going to be Krang 2.0 as Don describes. He'll still be his own man and never truly replace him. A reflection of Krang, probably (that "extreme displeasure" seemed pretty surprisingly maintained, unless he's just holding it in for another time). And a large part of him will probably be coping with Krang's absence.

(I'm thinking that part of the reason why Krang never brought up Ch'rell wasn't so much that he didn't care about him being unavailable as a competent ad loyal aid as well as companion, but because he did't think it was worth it to put a lot of energy into missing what he thought he'd eventually have. And instead probably just let homesickness go way out of control)

Last edited by Utrommaniac; 01-24-2019 at 07:01 PM.
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 06:52 PM   #3
Kenwatanabesclone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxin45 View Post
I mean with Shredder returning in the main series resurrected again and with new big bads of Bishop,Null,Maligna,and The Dragon along with classic big bad Shredder and Krang but with Ch'rell's appearance means that Ch'rell will become a big bad after Krang's death with him as the main tentacled alien villain with a robotic power suit and the story sets it up as such so what are your thoughts?
Are you the guy posting the same threads on the Tmnt subreddit?
Edit: Nevermind, same username.
Kenwatanabesclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 06:54 PM   #4
Toxin45
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenwatanabesclone View Post
Are you the guy posting the same threads on the Tmnt subreddit?
Edit: Nevermind, same username.
Um yeah? Cause I got a Reddit account and was simply curious about this on my mind
Toxin45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 06:59 PM   #5
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
Ch'rell isn't going to be Krang 2.0 as Don describes.
I felt it was a missed opportunity that Ray didn't ask "Who's Krang?" right after Donnie's explanation of Ch'rell. Out of all the Mutanimals, only Hob (briefly) interacted with Krang after all. But then again, maybe that wasn't the time for levity of any kind.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:03 PM   #6
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Probably would have been a good moment to have a snap of humor too. I'm going to guess that he learned who Krang was while being briefed on the effort to stop the Technodrome, though he was never actually on the island.

Or found out through Hob, who definitely knows who Krang is.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:13 PM   #7
ChosenOne
Banned

Except Ray only joined up with the Mutanimals after the first battle on Burnow, so your second guess is more likely.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:16 PM   #8
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Oh yeah, I forgot about that.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:36 PM   #9
daggio
Foot Soldier

At least at the moment it appears Ch'rell is just replacing Krang to an extent. I say that cuz seeing Ch'rell in #86 standing there surrounded by Tragg, Granitor, Kleve, and Montuoro just screamed "New Krang" to me just with a bigger, badder, robotic body. But I definitely think that whenever we as the audience next see him (whenever that is) some difference in personality, beliefs, etc will start to become obvious. The fact that he didn't do anything to the Turtles or the Mutanimals after the the battle (granted, they helped him), already in my view shows some difference between them. Hopefully his motivations won't be as genocidal as Krang's but only time will tell. (And I realize that all the future stories seem to imply that he might harbor genocidal tendencies )

Hopefully, this means we will see some more flashbacks to the days of the Utrom Empire just emphasizing Ch'rell. If we see that, that is something I look forward too...seeing Krang and Ch'rell talking to each other in person.
daggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 09:54 PM   #10
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

It's not just future stories, but considering that Zom thinks Ch'rell is more dangerous than Krang and how Fugitoid explained that Ch'rell carried out a lot of the violence he ordered...he probably wouldn't balk at it.

Flashbacks are going to happen; we gotta see how he gets that scar sometime soon. I am pretty excited to see that...and how they interacted with each other. I also kinda see if Ch'rell was on the other side of the portal during the "Saki Situation". Just being there when Krang came falling back out, suit covered in flaming arrows, and screaming profanities.

At the moment, I'm not sure how aware Ch'rell was of the turtles and Mutanimals involvement with Krang and Burnow; he just didn't have room to care at the moment. Especially when he was informed of him accidentally setting off the bomb implanted in Slash. The only thing he really could do was stand by respectfully and let them go on their way. Which isn't a thing Krang would have done, at least at that point in the timeline (Utrom Empire era, more likely, but not at the very end)

Last edited by Utrommaniac; 01-24-2019 at 10:05 PM.
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 09:56 PM   #11
Kenwatanabesclone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxin45 View Post
Um yeah? Cause I got a Reddit account and was simply curious about this on my mind
Wasn’t trying to be rude lol, was just just curious.
Kenwatanabesclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 11:28 PM   #12
daggio
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
we gotta see how he gets that scar sometime soon. I am pretty excited to see that
That would be great if we do get to see how Ch'rell got the scar over his eye. The 4Kids cartoon never did explain that (though I guess we could easily assume in that cartoon that he got it from his various....activities throughout the universe).
daggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 09:53 AM   #13
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I mean sure, Hun's skin is so weak that he can maintain scars from a rat scratching him, but the giant purple mark covering a good portion of an already very small body??? Nah, leave it up to mystery.

IDW's been pretty good about scars, though, and they don't tend to let it hang in the air for very long. They got straight to the point with Hob and Saki, so we'd probably get it with Ch'rell soon enough.

(Krang was likely there to see it happen, that's my best guess so far)
Old 01-28-2019, 11:11 AM   #14
shredder orokusaki
Mad Scientist

Iam the SHREDDER ! Krang is just one of my allies! I dont replace him! Iam ONLY THE ONE TRUE SHREDDER.

Tags
idw, tmnt