The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 12-14-2017, 12:13 PM   #101
sdp
-

Economics 101, the less players in a market means less risks will be taken, even if Fox put out "crap" it kept Disney in check, now Disney can take less risks and release tame stuff since it has less competition and pretty much owns the market.

Nothing good comes out of having "one" dominant player, whether it's super markets, wrestling, restaurants, movies, video games, cars etc.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 12:19 PM   #102
CyberCubed
Overlord

Planet of the Apes had at least one more movie being planned, but I assume the idea was to have 5 new movies to match the 5 original movies. Either way I don't see them rebooting Planet of the Apes again anytime soon.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 12:35 PM   #103
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Planet of the Apes had at least one more movie being planned,
Nope, just talk. And with Matt Reeves doing "The Batman" trilogy, Fox probably isn't too keen to give it to just anybody.

Quote:
but I assume the idea was to have 5 new movies to match the 5 original movies. Either way I don't see them rebooting Planet of the Apes again anytime soon.
If any next one that arises does a major time jump to as far in the future as the original movies were, they wouldn't need to. It'd already be so far removed from the first 3 that it doesn't matter if it's a reboot or not.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 12:37 PM   #104
ZariusTwo
Overlord

WGA West are pissed off

https://t.co/afUsQ4gycO

Quote:
“In the relentless drive to eliminate competition, big business has an insatiable appetite for consolidation. Disney and Fox have spent decades profiting from the oligopolistic control that the six major media conglomerates have exercised over the entertainment industry, often at the expense of the creators who power their television and film operations. Now, this proposed merger of direct competitors will make matters even worse by substantially increasing the market power of a combined Disney-Fox corporation. The antitrust concerns raised by this deal are obvious and significant. The Writers Guild of America West strongly opposes this merger and will work to ensure our nation’s antitrust laws are enforced.”
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 01:02 PM   #105
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Nothing good comes out of having "one" dominant player, whether it's super markets, wrestling, restaurants, movies, video games, cars etc.
I've been watching wrestling since I was about nine in 1996 and I can confirm.

I never liked WCW, but since they went under and WWE became the only real presence, things have been frequently frustrating. They got super lazy and complacent, to the point they don't even worry about basic continuity, motivations or properly building the wrestlers anymore. There are plenty of bright spots, but it feels like they don't listen to actual fans enough and there's no pressure to, so they just do what they want, even if it means arbitrary decisions from a millionaire in his seventies who lost touch with the pulse of his own audience a while ago. There are more indy places to watch these days, but almost no one with real TV deals or that have even half the reach of WWE unless you go outside the US (and WWE's making moves out THERE now).

One company with most of the power is never a good thing and a lifelong hobby pretty much taught me the consequences directly.
Old 12-14-2017, 01:26 PM   #106
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I do wonder, though. Just one example: "The Predator" comes out in a few months... what logo will be attached to it? Not Fox, and not Disney either... so maybe Disney dusts off their Touchstone Pictures?
Fox's 2018 (and part of 2019) release schedule won't be affected at all so it'll still have the Fox logo attached. From what I've read there can't be any interaction between the two sides during the govt approval process so Fox will continue operating as usual and can't have input from Disney.
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 06:00 AM   #107
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Why do you say that? Fox was already crapping the bed with crappy Alien and Die Hard sequels.

The only thing they had going for them was the new Planet of the Apes movies.
And even then, I didn't really care for Rise of the Planet of the Apes. That's just me though.

I wonder if they'll cancel The Simpsons or not. About time, though.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 12:36 PM   #108
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
I wonder if they'll cancel The Simpsons or not. About time, though.
Probably not. They just got it. I think they'll keep it going for a while. It will end eventually, though. That show's going to make a ton of money in syndication, which is why Fox had been considering ending it the last seven years or so.
Old 12-15-2017, 02:19 PM   #109
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl316bh View Post
Probably not. They just got it. I think they'll keep it going for a while. It will end eventually, though. That show's going to make a ton of money in syndication, which is why Fox had been considering ending it the last seven years or so.
Yeah, when Disney bought Power Rangers back in 2001, they had no initial intention of continuing it after the tehth season, they were content to make money off the syndication reruns.

They were only persuaded to keep the show going after someone convinced them to film in New Zealand and not LA.

PR's one of those few franchises Disney wanted no part of eventually, doubtful that applies to the single most accomplished animation of the 20th century.

I can see Disney maybe wanting to appeal to the older fanbase and "retool" the show to being more of what it was in the earlier seasons
Old 12-15-2017, 03:25 PM   #110
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl316bh View Post
What I can see happening, is the voice actors of the Simpson asking for more money, since Disney owns the Simpsons series, and they would have no choice to pay those voice actors more money to continue doing that show.
Old 12-15-2017, 04:10 PM   #111
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Yeah, when Disney bought Power Rangers back in 2001, they had no initial intention of continuing it after the tehth season, they were content to make money off the syndication reruns.

They were only persuaded to keep the show going after someone convinced them to film in New Zealand and not LA.

PR's one of those few franchises Disney wanted no part of eventually, doubtful that applies to the single most accomplished animation of the 20th century.

I can see Disney maybe wanting to appeal to the older fanbase and "retool" the show to being more of what it was in the earlier seasons
You just opened up a can of worms bringing PR into the discussion, but now that you've mentioned it, I might as well just ask you how Disney can touch PR the show when it's back in Saban's hands. It doesn't even air on any Fox outlets anymore.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 03:46 AM   #112
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
You just opened up a can of worms bringing PR into the discussion, but now that you've mentioned it, I might as well just ask you how Disney can touch PR the show when it's back in Saban's hands. It doesn't even air on any Fox outlets anymore.
That last part of the sentence was referring to The Simpsons, not PR
Old 12-16-2017, 03:53 AM   #113
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
What I can see happening, is the voice actors of the Simpson asking for more money, since Disney owns the Simpsons series, and they would have no choice to pay those voice actors more money to continue doing that show.
No, nothing would change. That's not the way this works. Whatever contract they had with Fox would be inherited and honored by both sides at Disney for however long their existing contracts last. At the end of said contract they would be up for renegotiation, same as any contract they'd ever had and fulfilled at Fox over the past few decades.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 04:49 AM   #114
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
That last part of the sentence was referring to The Simpsons, not PR
I did think of that possibility, but I still wasn't sure. Plus I never thought The Simpsons needed to be retooled to appeal to an older audience, although it has been said about PR several times.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote