The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 09-16-2018, 09:09 PM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

Do you actually play handheld consoles in public places?

Obviously the main point of a handheld system is so that you can play it anywhere, not just in your home but outside as well. Thing is, do you actually do that, and if you do then how often do you do it?

When I was a kid my parents never allowed me toi take my Game Boys to school because she feared I'd either lose them or someone would steal them from me. It's fair, because they're the ones who paid for them . My brother lost his original Game Boy(the grey brick) one day when he was like 11-12 years old and I think that also contributed to our parents never letting us take our toys and handheld systems to school.

Since my tube and bus rides are never long enough for me to get into a game before my stop comes, it's pointless for me to take my 3DS outside. Supermarket lines and such don't give me much time to get into a game either. When I pick up a game to play I want to spend at least a decent amount of time on it. Less than 10 minutes isn't enough for me to have an enjoyable time. Might as well just take out my mobile phone and browse the net with 4G or listen to a couple of songs on Spotify's mobile app while I'm waiting for something or for my destination.

Ofc, if I go on a plane trip again someday or go on a long distance train trip I'll definitely bring something to entertain myself with.

As for the Switch, when I eventually get one, I don'r think I'll play it in public at all. That console is pricey and it'd suck to have an accident or me forgetting it somewhere or someone robbing it from me.

So yeah, I mostly play portables at home while lying in bed. What about you?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 09:52 PM   #2
Powder
So tired of this place

Yes. Libraries, flights, waiting rooms, post office lines, you name it. I bring my 3DS and/or Caanoo (handheld emulator) out fairly often.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 09:55 PM   #3
CyberCubed
Overlord

Not since I was a kid/teen, no. I never take anything videogame related outside the house. Sometimes I honestly forget my Switch is even a portable. I think I used handheld mode like twice in the 2 years I've owned it.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 10:35 PM   #4
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Yes. Libraries, flights, waiting rooms, post office lines, you name it. I bring my 3DS and/or Caanoo (handheld emulator) out fairly often.
Libraries? I've only been to those to use the computers and to check out books or study. Never saw anyone playing a handheld at a library in my life nor have I ever considered doing it myself. Am I missing something here? Are the lines at the libraries you go to big enough for you to whip out your 3DS and play on it while you wait?

Had never heard of the Caanoo until you mentioned it.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:42 PM   #5
Ninjinister
無問題

Not really public, but work breaks have been good handheld and Switch time.

Flights and being stuck in an airport that one time were also convenient.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:47 PM   #6
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinister View Post
Not really public, but work breaks have been good handheld and Switch time.

Flights and being stuck in an airport that one time were also convenient.
Funny enough, I didn't play on my 3DS in the two flights I took earlier this year. Tbh they were both about one hour and a half each only(hint: lots of short flights in Europe). And I travelled with soem people I know so I spent sometime talking to them during the flight and the rest of the time I played a bit on my mobile phone. Think it was Turtles in Time on a SNES emulator for phones.

If I ever end up on a flight longer than 3-4 hours I'll definitely bring along both a phone and a portable console fully charged with me.

Like I've said, the only time I really could get some good gaming time outside of home was at uni, especially if I arrived a long time before my class or if I didn't have a class between 2 others.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:08 AM   #7
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Never as a kid. Bed was always the best place to play handheld consoles, and there's no paranoia of the system being broken by that jerk in school or getting lost.

As an adult however, I've been on inter city bus rides that can take up to 6 hours. Luckily, the buses had tables and power outlets so that was a perfect opportunity to plug in my laptop and play some Melee and Counter-Strike.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:25 AM   #8
Wesley
Mad Scientist

No. I’d be paranoid that they’ll get damaged or stolen.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 01:02 PM   #9
AT-Man
I SEEN IT

Yes, sometimes I play 3DS or PSP on the train/bus.

Through the Golden Door
AT-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 02:45 PM   #10
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
No. I’d be paranoid that they’ll get damaged or stolen.
Yeah. And tbh it's a normal fear. You can never be too careful.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:22 AM   #11
Storm Eagle
Saved by

I would, if I had a new game to work on and wanted something to keep myself occupied while doing something that has a long wait, whether it be the doctor's office, plane rides, etc. I've even done it when I was waiting to be called for potential jury duty.

There are mentions here about not doing it out of concern of it getting lost or stolen, but I remember someone talking about not doing it in public out of fear of being judged. Especially in the presence of females. I thought that was silly, since I never thought it should be that big a deal. If a woman is going to judge me on that alone, she's an idiot and not worth my time. I know my interests aren't limited to just video games. I took my 3DS with me for when I was taking the car to get inspected once, and I was using it to kill time in the waiting area. This man sitting next to me asked me how I can play video games for an hour. I told him that it hasn't been an hour (it was more like half an hour), and that even an hour of playing is nothing. The inspection even took less than an hour. He just seemed to assume that I put in endless hours of playing video games just because his son does, but I was only trying to kill time. I might even have a book with me for long waits sometimes, but that time, I had a video game. People ought to just stop judging each other and mind their own business. Still, the only time I wouldn't recommend doing this is if I went for a job interview and was waiting for it to start.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 01:48 AM   #12
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Nope. Afraid of accidents/getting lost too. I don’t like the idea of needing to take care of an electronic device that I don’t actually need to carry around. I only play them at home. Same goes for tablets.

A vacation would be the only exception since you’re away and you’d have a hotel or a place to stay.

My parents didn’t let me take games to school either but honestly I did not want to anyway for the reasons above. Plus like you said how can you really get into a game in such a short time? Not worth the effort.

Mobile games are different since they’re designed to play in spurts but even then I prefer to play at home.
Old 09-18-2018, 04:22 PM   #13
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
I would, if I had a new game to work on and wanted something to keep myself occupied while doing something that has a long wait, whether it be the doctor's office, plane rides, etc. I've even done it when I was waiting to be called for potential jury duty.

There are mentions here about not doing it out of concern of it getting lost or stolen, but I remember someone talking about not doing it in public out of fear of being judged. Especially in the presence of females. I thought that was silly, since I never thought it should be that big a deal. If a woman is going to judge me on that alone, she's an idiot and not worth my time. I know my interests aren't limited to just video games. I took my 3DS with me for when I was taking the car to get inspected once, and I was using it to kill time in the waiting area. This man sitting next to me asked me how I can play video games for an hour. I told him that it hasn't been an hour (it was more like half an hour), and that even an hour of playing is nothing. The inspection even took less than an hour. He just seemed to assume that I put in endless hours of playing video games just because his son does, but I was only trying to kill time. I might even have a book with me for long waits sometimes, but that time, I had a video game. People ought to just stop judging each other and mind their own business. Still, the only time I wouldn't recommend doing this is if I went for a job interview and was waiting for it to start.
How old is this person you've mentioned? Because I don't think many people over the age of 20 would be afraid of getting judged for playing a 3DS in public.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
Nope. Afraid of accidents/getting lost too. I don’t like the idea of needing to take care of an electronic device that I don’t actually need to carry around. I only play them at home. Same goes for tablets.

A vacation would be the only exception since you’re away and you’d have a hotel or a place to stay.

My parents didn’t let me take games to school either but honestly I did not want to anyway for the reasons above. Plus like you said how can you really get into a game in such a short time? Not worth the effort.

Mobile games are different since they’re designed to play in spurts but even then I prefer to play at home.
I also don't know how some people can take books and read them on short bus rides and supermarket lines. When I pick up a book I don't want to put it down 5 minutes later. I usually spend 30 minutes to one hour when I decide to pick up a book and read it.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:07 PM   #14
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Not since I was a kid/teen, no. I never take anything videogame related outside the house. Sometimes I honestly forget my Switch is even a portable. I think I used handheld mode like twice in the 2 years I've owned it.
This. And if/when I get a Switch, I guesstimate the precise number of times I will take it portable will be 0.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 07:15 PM   #15
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
How old is this person you've mentioned? Because I don't think many people over the age of 20 would be afraid of getting judged for playing a 3DS in public.
The guy I mentioned was 25. I myself was 30 at the time, and he figured that I was at an age where I shouldn't feel any shame about it anyway. I never felt any shame about it at his age either, and not even when I was a teenager. He thought girls fear guys who play video games.

In his country, which if I remember correctly is the Netherlands, there was this dating show where one guy had a choice of thirty women. He said about twenty of those women lost interest in the guy upon his mention of being a fan of World of Warcraft. That's a shame, since I heard of a couple who met through that game, and have since gotten married. A man and a woman. I told him that to help him understand that there's no shame in playing video games in public. He was also afraid that people might think he's a video game addict if he were seen playing a video game in public.

This was all from a discussion at another message board where the subject of playing video games in public was brought up. The topic starter said that he had a friend who said that although he isn't afraid to play his DS in public, he just wouldn't use it in the presence of women. Another person in the discussion mentioned feeling more comfortable using his PSP in public than his DS, since the PSP looks like an iPhone.

It just amazes and sickens me how people with how people find fault in the littlest things.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:10 PM   #16
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
This. And if/when I get a Switch, I guesstimate the precise number of times I will take it portable will be 0.
It's funny you guys mention that. My brother is the complete opposite. He's only played his Switch in portable mode so far since he doesn't have a TV at his place atm.

Quote:
The guy I mentioned was 25. I myself was 30 at the time, and he figured that I was at an age where I shouldn't feel any shame about it anyway. I never felt any shame about it at his age either, and not even when I was a teenager. He thought girls fear guys who play video games.

In his country, which if I remember correctly is the Netherlands, there was this dating show where one guy had a choice of thirty women. He said about twenty of those women lost interest in the guy upon his mention of being a fan of World of Warcraft. That's a shame, since I heard of a couple who met through that game, and have since gotten married. A man and a woman. I told him that to help him understand that there's no shame in playing video games in public. He was also afraid that people might think he's a video game addict if he were seen playing a video game in public.

This was all from a discussion at another message board where the subject of playing video games in public was brought up. The topic starter said that he had a friend who said that although he isn't afraid to play his DS in public, he just wouldn't use it in the presence of women. Another person in the discussion mentioned feeling more comfortable using his PSP in public than his DS, since the PSP looks like an iPhone.

It just amazes and sickens me how people with how people find fault in the littlest things.
I see. Honestly, if I went out and asked a bunch of random women around my age(I'm 27) if they knew what World of Warcraft is... I doubt most would even know what it is. So if I ever told one I was a fan of the game I bet they'd just ask "what is that?"
Old 09-18-2018, 08:33 PM   #17
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Obviously the main point of a handheld system is so that you can play it anywhere, not just in your home but outside as well. Thing is, do you actually do that, and if you do then how often do you do it?

When I was a kid my parents never allowed me toi take my Game Boys to school because she feared I'd either lose them or someone would steal them from me. It's fair, because they're the ones who paid for them . My brother lost his original Game Boy(the grey brick) one day when he was like 11-12 years old and I think that also contributed to our parents never letting us take our toys and handheld systems to school.

Since my tube and bus rides are never long enough for me to get into a game before my stop comes, it's pointless for me to take my 3DS outside. Supermarket lines and such don't give me much time to get into a game either. When I pick up a game to play I want to spend at least a decent amount of time on it. Less than 10 minutes isn't enough for me to have an enjoyable time. Might as well just take out my mobile phone and browse the net with 4G or listen to a couple of songs on Spotify's mobile app while I'm waiting for something or for my destination.

Ofc, if I go on a plane trip again someday or go on a long distance train trip I'll definitely bring something to entertain myself with.

As for the Switch, when I eventually get one, I don'r think I'll play it in public at all. That console is pricey and it'd suck to have an accident or me forgetting it somewhere or someone robbing it from me.

So yeah, I mostly play portables at home while lying in bed. What about you?
Not really. Due to fear that you might get robbed of your portable handheld device.

Its ok for Phones however. Since you can make emergency calls. But if you were carrying a 3DS or some portable gaming device. You would become a target of someone who wants to rob you.

So no. I would never play any handheld consoles in public places. It would become a distraction and you have to be alert at the place around you.

Last edited by TigerClaw; 09-18-2018 at 08:40 PM.
TigerClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 08:47 PM   #18
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:

I see. Honestly, if I went out and asked a bunch of random women around my age(I'm 27) if they knew what World of Warcraft is... I doubt most would even know what it is. So if I ever told one I was a fan of the game I bet they'd just ask "what is that?"
If I were an avid player of WOW, I wouldn't make it one of the first things known to a woman when I meet her the first time.

By the way, keep in mind that the discussion dates back to 2010. It was a bigger deal back then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Not really. Due to fear that you might get robbed of your portable handheld device.

Its ok for Phones however. Since you can make emergency calls. But if you were carrying a 3DS or some portable gaming device. You would become a target of someone who wants to rob you.

So no. I would never play any handheld consoles in public places. It would become a distraction and you have to be alert at the place around you.
I still don't have a problem using my 3DS in public, but I'm not sure about my Switch. That's something I'd rather save for trips that involve flying. I'd just use it on the plane and at the hotel where I'm staying.

I actually did take my Switch with me on a trip last year, but I didn't use it once.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:55 PM   #19
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
If I were an avid player of WOW, I wouldn't make it one of the first things known to a woman when I meet her the first time.

By the way, keep in mind that the discussion dates back to 2010. It was a bigger deal back then.

I still don't have a problem using my 3DS in public, but I'm not sure about my Switch. That's something I'd rather save for trips that involve flying. I'd just use it on the plane and at the hotel where I'm staying.

I actually did take my Switch with me on a trip last year, but I didn't use it once.
Well I don't know much about WoW or MMOs tbh. Never really cared about those type of games. I think WoW was mostly a big deal in the mid-late 2000s tho? Most people seem to play MOBAs like Legue of Legends and Dota 2 nowadays. Not to mention games like Path of Exile, Rocket League, Hearthstone, etc.

The Switch is quite pricey. I'm not sure I'd even take it with me if I were to fly somewhere again. I'd take the 3DS tho. But tbh, like I've said already, the last time I travelled by air plane to stay at a hotel for 4 days I barely played on my 3DS at all. I'd get up early in the morning, explore the island and only go back to my hotel past dinner time to sleep. I basically only slept, showered and had breakfast at the hotel I stayed at. I was there ot enjoy the vacation with the small group I went with.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:56 PM   #20
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:

I went to a trip to Cuba once and took my 3DS. But i never really got around to playing it. Just wasn't in a gaming mood. But I took my tablet and was playing the android version of Duck Tales Remastered. Never got around to finishing it though.