The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 10-14-2018, 08:04 AM   #241
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Meh, I don't think this series' art style could hold my attention.

I really wish we could have seen the planned 2002/Mike Young version of She-Ra that never got off the ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 09:45 AM   #242
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
This is why I hate the modern day. The OG She-Ra show wasn a subtle girl power show, but it wasn't advertised as such. It was mostly a new show... for girls. But they didn't make a huge deal about it and didn't ram it in your face until you drowned in estrogen.

I mean tons of guys back then most likely watched The Secret of the Sword movie cause they were He-Man fans and wanted to see how he fit into all this. I mean, He-Man had a sister??? How can you call yourself a fan and not be curious?

And if boys chose not to watch it and only watch He-Man, there was no big media frenzy about it either. Those were simpler times.

Yep, the freaks and blue hair geeks are taking over the world with crazy.
best not to pay attention to it.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 05:42 PM   #243
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
I mean tons of guys back then most likely watched The Secret of the Sword movie cause they were He-Man fans and wanted to see how he fit into all this. I mean, He-Man had a sister??? How can you call yourself a fan and not be curious?
Ah, dude, so much This. I literally grew up with He-Man; the franchise launched right around the time I was born and was the hottest thing going, even BEFORE the cartoons. Even my Dad loved it, as it reminded him of a more modern version of the old Conan stuff he used to see, and he went out of his way to buy me as many He-Man toys and other stuff as he could get. We'd play with the toys for hours, and then he'd read me to sleep with the mini-comics that came with the toys. In later years he'd often reminisce about going into Toys R Us and there being an entire aisle JUST for He-Man toys. I don't remember exactly when I saw the cartoons, but I'd already been sleeping on my He-Man bedsheets for a couple years by that point. I was probably about two; it was definitely a bit different from the He-Man I knew, but I really didn't care since it was more He-Man stuff.

The cartoons got my cousin into it; she was a year older, and a girl, but we often liked the same stuff (like we both watched JEM, for some reason ). When She-Ra was launched, it was actually really cool and a big deal for both of us; we were more like brother and sister anyway, so it was a lot of fun to run around the yard playing He-Man and She-Ra together. We used to rent "Secret of the Sword" allll the time. I don't think I saw that one in theaters, but I'm pretty sure she did. One of the stores over here, either Toys R Us or K-Mart, had a thing where kids could go meet "He-Man, She-Ra, and Skeletor", and I still have photos from that as well.

Point of fact, I never really knew the show was cancelled, because USA Network aired the re-runs all the way up until "New Adventures" came out (which I didn't care for). It used to be on a few times a day on weekdays and then Saturday mornings, and on Saturdays they'd either do two He-Mans and two She-Ras back-to-back or later just one of each. They'd often break "Secret of the Sword" into five parts and air it as a week-long mini-series. The show was definitely more"girly", but it never bothered me because it really wasn't much different from He-Man; like instead of a bunch of dudes and a couple female side warriors, the whole thing was flipped, but that's to be expected since it was like a "mirror" of the He-Man show. The stories, music, voice actors and effects were all borrowed directly from the previous series, so it just felt like an "Expansion Pack" to the He-Man show. Especially since He-Man showed up often, anyway.

I knew a few kids who wouldn't watch "the girl's show", but most of the kids I knew who watched one, watched both. It was just the same show with more glitter, no big deal. Plus, She-Ra was hot, so of course I was gonna watch (although I kept those thoughts to myself back then ).

I will say, I didn't get any of the She-Ra toys back then. I thought about it, but they didn't fit well with the He-Man line and that annoyed me and a lot of kids.

Sigh. Now I'm all misty.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 10:22 PM   #244
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Ah, The show was definitely more"girly", but it never bothered me because it really wasn't much different from He-Man; like instead of a bunch of dudes and a couple female side warriors, the whole thing was flipped, but that's to be expected since it was like a "mirror" of the He-Man show. The stories, music, voice actors and effects were all borrowed directly from the previous series, so it just felt like an "Expansion Pack" to the He-Man show. Especially since He-Man showed up often, anyway.
THIS. They were basically the same show, and since He-Man went to reruns the only way to watch new stuff involving He-Man and Skeletor was to watch the episodes they camoed in. It was also the only way to see the Horde and the Snake Men in animated form.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 11:07 PM   #245
Leo656
The Franchise

Yeah, they created them for Season Three of He-Man, but that quickly became "Season 1 of She-Ra" instead thanks to Mattel. To their credit, they continued to market The Horde in the He-Man line as the MOTU villains they were created to be. Sadly, that left the She-Ra line forced to use Catra as the main villain in the toyline continuity... which was strange.

Some fans "blame" She-Ra for "killing" the He-Man line, but I don't. They just took a gamble and missed; expanding the line to be more girl-inclusive wasn't the problem (although a lot of girls liked He-Man anyway, and didn't exactly NEED a second line just for them, if you ask some of them); the She-Ra show was good, and most of the characters were as well. I think the entire He-Man franchise just blew up too big too fast, and those things can never sustain that kind of popularity for long, leaving there nowhere to go but down. I do think that if the He-Man and She-Ra toylines were more in sync, with the She-Ra toys being less like Barbies, they might've done better with it. They had some cool ideas with the playsets and whatnot. I knew lots of boys who watched She-Ra but drew the line on having the toys; with the brushable hair and whatnot, they may as well have been buying My Little Ponies, as far as they were concerned. Plus they'd have to go down the Barbie N Stuff aisle, or ask their parents to, and... well, a 3-year old boy has to pick their battles carefully, y'know?

If they had kept the toyline under the "Masters of the Universe" umbrella (simply swapping the "MOTU" logo for "Princess of Power") and put them in the same aisle as the He-Man toys, I bet they'd have sold twice as many. I never got it as a kid; Teela and Sorceress got to sit next to He-Man on the pegs, but She-Ra had to be waaaaaay over there next to Barbie? It was weird. But then I saw the toys and they weren't too similar to the He-Man ones, anyway. I think if they'd handled that whole thing better, they may not have nosedived so quickly. But I don't blame She-Ra for "killing" the franchise like some folks do. I just think they overreached and didn't handle some things as well as they could've.

Old 10-15-2018, 04:27 AM   #246
drgon78
Mad Scientist

I really wish we got the 2002/Mike Young version of She-Ra as well. The character designs, animation, story, etc. would have been better and the only agenda would be to sell toys(and other merchandise).
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 07:29 PM   #247
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
Sigh.

if this is all they care about promoting, this new she nah is doomed.
They literally showed a trailer with fight scenes

Quote:

Someone else is making the "lifestyle decisions" on their behalf. Pretty funny all around.
So having 2 gay dudes is making a "lifestyle decisions on their behalf" that makes so much sense.

Last edited by PApagreg; 10-16-2018 at 07:42 PM.
PApagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 02:13 PM   #248
Vicky82
Emperor

New trailer

Also the release date has been moved forward to November 13th.

Vicky82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 04:58 AM   #249
drgon78
Mad Scientist

Wow, this looks really really bad, it's like with if SJWs and Wynx had a baby and that baby puked all over my childhood.
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 07:54 AM   #250
Vegita-San
Emperor

that second trailer MIGHT have gotten me interested if the art was a whole lot better, and everyone didn't look so weird....like stunted adults stuck at 14 years old.

but, with all the SJW crap and virtue signaling, ugh. hope this fails.

She-Ra and her friends deserves better than tumblr.

Old 11-04-2018, 05:10 AM   #251
AT-Man
I SEEN IT

Where are Leech, Mantenna, Mosquitor, Grizzlor, Modulok, Dragstor, Multibot..... can we have at least Calix?

Through the Golden Door
AT-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 06:26 AM   #252
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

They've shown the design for Scorpia and her bio
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 03:41 PM   #253
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT-Man View Post
Where are Leech, Mantenna, Mosquitor, Grizzlor, Modulok, Dragstor, Multibot..... can we have at least Calix?
I don't want to live in a world without Modulok.

Multibot's okay.

Old 11-04-2018, 04:10 PM   #254
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Modulok needs to happen

And hopefully this show wouldn't be limited like Filmation so they could actually do the character justice compared to the super simplified cartoon design he had in He-Man and She-Ra
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 04:14 PM   #255
Leo656
The Franchise

Much as I love Filmation, I agree, Modulok wasn't given true justice.

His mini-comic was one of my very favorites as a kid. I loved the cartoons and watched them every day, never missed an episode, but the mini-comics and Golden Books generally had more of my "preferred" canon. Even as a very young kid, I preferred more "serious" takes over goofy ones.

Old 11-04-2018, 06:48 PM   #256
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT-Man View Post
the only non human we've seen so far is Imp and Scorpia.

No sign of madam raz, twiggets, kowl, or others. mostly just all human characters.

Old 11-04-2018, 07:31 PM   #257
AT-Man
I SEEN IT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
the only non human we've seen so far is Imp and Scorpia.

No sign of madam raz, twiggets, kowl, or others. mostly just all human characters.
There was also this person in the trailer. Looks like a new character, but could potentially be Leech, even though there's no suction cup mouth or hands.

Through the Golden Door
AT-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 10:27 PM   #258
M.O.D.O.K.
Thug

If IMDb is any accurate, we're getting Modulok, at least. We'll see.
M.O.D.O.K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 10:32 AM   #259
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Much as I love Filmation, I agree, Modulok wasn't given true justice.

His mini-comic was one of my very favorites as a kid. I loved the cartoons and watched them every day, never missed an episode, but the mini-comics and Golden Books generally had more of my "preferred" canon. Even as a very young kid, I preferred more "serious" takes over goofy ones.

I remember that mini comic. Gee someone mailed us a box of body parts. LET'S TAKE IT INSIDE!

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 10:38 AM   #260
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
I remember that mini comic. Gee someone mailed us a box of body parts. LET'S TAKE IT INSIDE!
For all we know that's how they make babies on Eternia.

Tags
i like agendas, she-nah, where's loo-kee?