The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 09-30-2015, 07:47 PM   #101
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

It seems interesting Ducky. I guess it depends on what tone you are using, a twisted Tiger Claw could work or Hob depending on how you use them. Personally, use whichever you prefer over the other, I look forward to seeing it!
GoldMutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 07:58 PM   #102
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Interesting. I have been kicking around some ideas myself for the sequel to my Love Is Shell fic, but can't decide whether to use Hob or Tiger Claw. Either way, he'd be an independant player in the story, as a secondary threat to the two main enemies, Bishop and Oroku Pimiko/Kazuo. The latter duo are seeking revenge, and Bishop is after the turtles (and their new family) for their DNA. I'd like to have a darker version of the Mutanimals, where some mutants want to fight for recognition by humans. The turtles would be caught in the middle of it all, and have to defend their newfound freedoms and their secrets.
Duckie, I will read the HELL out of that. Especially if it's Old Hob.

You've got me so excited on that idea, what is Love is Shell? Basic premise?

As far as my own writing is concerned... ugh. I keep hitting walls, but I'm around 200 pages in. Can't walk away. Too much good stuff, with lots of rewriting necessary. Think I'll push on with new material and save rewriting for later...
Old 10-01-2015, 08:48 AM   #103
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Duckie, I will read the HELL out of that. Especially if it's Old Hob.

You've got me so excited on that idea, what is Love is Shell? Basic premise?

As far as my own writing is concerned... ugh. I keep hitting walls, but I'm around 200 pages in. Can't walk away. Too much good stuff, with lots of rewriting necessary. Think I'll push on with new material and save rewriting for later...
The problem is I love em BOTH, lol! TC would be great as an independent bounty hunter or assassin, though Hob makes a better dark Mutanimals member. Just not sure which direction would be more interesting or fun.

CKD, I don't know if you've checked out my Tale of Two Clans story, but Love Is Shell is the "parent" story, which mostly deals with Mikey falling for a girl they rescued and how it creates a rift between him and his brothers, due to them trying to dissuade him from his crush out of fear that he will get his heart broken. There's also some jealousy from Leo on account of how his own relationship with Lotus ended badly, and of course plenty of action with Shredder and Krang, Bishop, and even the Rat King makes an appearance. I'm currently working on the final battle in the Technodrome, which the pair of lovebirds have already escaped from before. This story also sort of hinges around two episodes of the OT series, namely The Gang's All Here and Donatello's Degree, so that might give you a hint about what goes on in the story.I've mentioned before that Donnie has been keeping a huge secret of his own from them, and it ties into the degree episode through use of one of the gags in that episode as a serious issue for Donnie. As for the other episode, Mikey has decided he wants a do-over of that opportunity, and it gets him into serious trouble.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 04:52 PM   #104
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

I'm unsure if I can tackle what I have in mind, but in case I never become a filmmaker or something along those lines nor a psychologist, I did have intentions to make a card business. Never trust a store bought card.

If I dig up one of the cards I wrote on my labtop, I'll be sure to bring it up asap.
Old 10-17-2015, 11:34 AM   #105
senpai
Stone Warrior

I'm glad people are posting in this thread. Even though I created this one, I feel bad since I hardly visit it After graduating I just didn't have the drive to write, but now it's starting to come back to me. I may dig up some old stories and get to writing. Maybe I'll get on it tonight
senpai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 11:39 AM   #106
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by senpai View Post
I'm glad people are posting in this thread. Even though I created this one, I feel bad since I hardly visit it After graduating I just didn't have the drive to write, but now it's starting to come back to me. I may dig up some old stories and get to writing. Maybe I'll get on it tonight
As Shia and Nike would both tell you, JUST DO IT!!!
Old 10-17-2015, 12:20 PM   #107
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Indeed! I've FINALLY gotten back to work on my Two Clans tale, and the next chapter is going to be a real heart-breaker for some folks. Someone didn't make it out of the fight in one piece.... (Hint, it's not a gargoyle.) Also, I'm thinking a certain corporate mogul with a castle atop his New York tower may start taking a keen interest in a certain bunch of green teens, heh. And we have dragons and "demons" coming up!

Old 10-20-2015, 02:41 PM   #108
senpai
Stone Warrior

Can I get some peoples' advice?

I typically don't read fantasy and I have no experience with world building... If I'm interested in writing a fantasy story, does it require research and reading up on other fantasy authors for pointers and references? I'm really confused how to go about this

Also, fantasy names, races, and locations... How do you guys create these?

Thanks!
Old 10-20-2015, 04:19 PM   #109
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

Reading fantasy genres may help you if you want to create something you've never done before. As for names, just think something up that sounds cool and go with it. You could also base it on research of other fantasy stuff. That's what J.K. Rowling did for her Harry Potter series and it worked.

Been doing a lot of work on my Tales universe and I love working on these three stories. Just so much fun weaving things together.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 05:53 PM   #110
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Personally speaking, I had no interest in writing Fantasy until I started reading and watching Fantasy: Lord of the Rings, Chronicles of Narnia, His Majesty's Dragon, The Aeons' Gate, Game of Thrones, The Raw Queen, The Lies of Locke Lamora, etc.

For characters' names, take regular names you like and substitute a letter: Jayke for Jake (this name is taken, by the way ), Karyn for Karen, Chriss for Chris... or remove a letter. Jak for Jack, Mak for Mack, R'chel for Rachel...

Manipulate names you like with removal and addition of letters, and eventually, you get some pretty wicked names.

Or Benjen Stark, great example! Obviously based on Benjamin.
Old 10-20-2015, 09:34 PM   #111
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Speaking as someone who has been heavily into fantasy for many years, it certainly helps to read some fantasy novels or short stories, or at least to watch some fantasy-based movies or TV shows. Here's what I've learned over the years from both reading and writing in the fantasy genre:

1. The most important thing is that the world needs to be cohesive and abide by its own in-world rules. Magic (if you use it) should be rare, difficult to learn, and most importantly, mysterious, unless it's used by everyone, in which case, it should still show some kind of effort being put into it, where people must learn how to use it or how to control it (if it's a natural gift). That means that even if THEY don't know how it works, YOU need to determine how it does. Physics and natural laws must also be logical for the world and consistent. If you have strange or unusual features in the world, there needs to be some kind of "laws of physics/nature" to explain them. That goes for creatures and flora. too.

2. Names should sound like they belong to the world. It's not always enough to change a letter or two in a name, unless the world is a near-analog of the real world. If it's pure fantasy, try looking on-line for fantasy name-generators, especially for races like elves, dwarves, or especially non-humanoid species like dragons or demons. The names should SOUND alien or fantastic to our ears! (Examples- elven: Andalar, Jaonos, Keryth, or Frellith for males, Aldyth, Filauria, Kestra, or Nimara for females, and family names like Silverthorne, Starleaf, or Mistraven, or more exotic last names line Riellis, Hunea, or Amallaeth. Dragons often have very strange-sounding names like Zar'kraesh, Azuroth, Vermithrax, or Avernix.)

3. Don't forget that different fantasy worlds have different levels of technology or civilization, and even within a world, there may be vastly different types of kingdoms or governments. One land may have a matriarchy, while another is ruled by the priesthood, or a king, High Council, or any type of government you can think of. But it MUST make sense and have some history that explains how and WHY it is run that way. Even if you don't go into he backstory of a nation, it's a good idea to figure out some basic history to give the lands a sense of "realness".

4. Also important is the TYPE of world. Is it Earth-like? A water-covered world? Is it broken apart and "floating" in space or the "aether"? Are there various lands that have their own physical rules or features that differ from the others? If your fantasy world is based on portals between very different types of elemental planes, there should still be something that ties them all together, a link or greater connection that makes them all part of the same setting.

5. Do your homework. If your main land is based around a certain culture, make sure you know something about that culture, even if you plan to alter it. If you're using Feudal Japan as a base, research a little on customs and culture, weapons, warfare, government and religious practices, and the like before trying to recreate it in the world. You can always alter details later, but you have to know what you're working with FIRST.

Basically, anything beyond this is up to you. But these are some basic ideas to think about and get you started. And also, it helps to think about how dark or mature you want the world/story to be. For instance, I have a couple of fantasy stories in my FF.net page that are at VERY different levels of maturity/ratings. My "Night of the Black Cat" tale (a one-shot) is the basic fantasy fare in rating-level, it's got some violence, magic, and an evil wizard, but it's relatively tame. My"Darksong" novel-length sotry, on the other hand, is VERY adult in nature, with some really dark themes and content, like brutal abuse, slavery, rape, torture, religious fanaticism, poison, assassination, murder, theft, mind-rape, drugs, etc....

Old 10-21-2015, 10:44 AM   #112
senpai
Stone Warrior

Wow! Thanks so much, everyone for the wonderful advice. I'm not one to read fantasy so it's really strange I feel inclined to write one. I play fantasy video games...Perhaps that's the reason behind it. I also read lots of horror novels and short stories which often have fantasy elements.

I may look to the name generators and modify names that sound nice to me. Don't worry, Cylons--I won't take your name But you've given me some advice to work with.

Bubblyshell, I will definitely be doing some research. At this time, I don't feel like I have the patience to read traditional fantasy books. I've read the first Harry Potter though! I liked it... But just not enough to dedicate my time to the full series. I'd love to give the Dark Tower series a go though! Have you read those?

Duckie, excellent tips! I'll keep these in mind and look back to them when I'm writing. It sounds like you've been doing this for quite a while. I think what I'm probably gonna start out with is introduce the main character during an event that will kick-start the story and build on that. Such as the setting, time, and what the character desires.

I found this interesting (and silly) link that fantasy lovers might be interested in reading too.

http://terribleminds.com/ramble/2012...ng-fantasyzzz/

I agree that the story should be driven by the characters and fantasy elements are there to make the tale interesting and fun. For some reason, the first thing that's coming to mind, and makes a good example is Avatar: The Last Airbender. We are all interested in the history and the wonders of this world (unless you hate the show ) but what we really want is to see how the characters develop and learn about their desires and what they are willing to do to get what they want, or what they are willing to sacrifice.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:48 AM   #113
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Wow! Thanks so much, everyone for the wonderful advice. I'm not one to read fantasy so it's really strange I feel inclined to write one. I play fantasy video games...Perhaps that's the reason behind it. I also read lots of horror novels and short stories which often have fantasy elements.

I may look to the name generators and modify names that sound nice to me. Don't worry, Cylons--I won't take your name But you've given me some advice to work with.

Bubblyshell, I will definitely be doing some research. At this time, I don't feel like I have the patience to read traditional fantasy books. I've read the first Harry Potter though! I liked it... But just not enough to dedicate my time to the full series. I'd love to give the Dark Tower series a go though! Have you read those?

Duckie, excellent tips! I'll keep these in mind and look back to them when I'm writing. It sounds like you've been doing this for quite a while. I think what I'm probably gonna start out with is introduce the main character during an event that will kick-start the story and build on that. Such as the setting, time, and what the character desires.

I found this interesting (and silly) link that fantasy lovers might be interested in reading too.

I agree that the story should be driven by the characters and fantasy elements are there to make the tale interesting and fun. For some reason, the first thing that's coming to mind, and makes a good example is Avatar: The Last Airbender. We are all interested in the history and the wonders of this world (unless you hate the show ) but what we really want is to see how the characters develop and learn about their desires and what they are willing to do to get what they want, or what they are willing to sacrifice.
Aw man, Senpai, you GOTTA read the whole Harry Potter series. Just... you gotta. I think it's the best written "children's" books EVER written. Cannot endorse them highly enough. My wife and I cry buckets every time we read that series.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:59 AM   #114
senpai
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Aw man, Senpai, you GOTTA read the whole Harry Potter series. Just... you gotta. I think it's the best written "children's" books EVER written. Cannot endorse them highly enough. My wife and I cry buckets every time we read that series.
Aww! Haha! I have a few friends who are major fans too. I do have the second book in my collection somewhere. I can dig it up once I'm finished with the books that I'm reading now and see how it goes. I have nothing bad to say about the first book. I rather enjoyed it. I think I just get easily distracted since I work at a library, and I love books so much I just wish I could read them all.
Old 10-21-2015, 11:12 AM   #115
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Aww! Haha! I have a few friends who are major fans too. I do have the second book in my collection somewhere. I can dig it up once I'm finished with the books that I'm reading now and see how it goes. I have nothing bad to say about the first book. I rather enjoyed it. I think I just get easily distracted since I work at a library, and I love books so much I just wish I could read them all.
If you live in my state, I will drive hours across the rugged Texan desert and BUY you the books, just so you have to read them.

Seriously. I am unaware of any other book series that grows up with the target audience. Books 1 thru 3 are light and friendly, kinda like Roald Dahl's works, and then there's a HUGE tonal shift in the end of Book 4. Books 5, 6, and 7 are all more adult, focusing on a coming conflict.

I can't say anymore for fear of spoilers. But seriously, I'm a grown-ass man who, if you told me to pick the better fantasy book series, I'd take Harry Potter over practically anything. Sorry, George Double-R Martin.

I'm totally embarrassed I left the Harry Potter series off my first post. I'm gonna go get a magic pen and write "I will never forget to recommend Harry Potter" on a chalkboard until the words are permanently carved into the back of my hand. Spoilers.
Old 10-21-2015, 12:03 PM   #116
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

Yes, please read the HP series. It's awesome and you'll love it. I know I never get tired of reading them again and again. Haven't read Dark Tower though.

Old 10-21-2015, 01:27 PM   #117
Mew
Banned

I wrote Mr. Llama!
Mew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 05:16 PM   #118
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Quote:

You're welcome, senpai, and yes, I HAVE been doing it for a long time. As an RPG gamer (mostly as the DM) for over 20 years, I've had a LOT of experience with writing and world-building fantasy worlds. There are some good books on the subject, that might help you if you can find them, such as the Kobold Guide to World-Building by Wolfgang Baur, or Writer's Digest Writer's Complete Fantasy Reference, or How to Write Science Fiction and Fantasy by Orson Scott Card.

And I'll chime in and agree that you should really read the Harry Potter books. They are one of the best children's series I've ever read, and even reading them as an adult, they are as good as Narnia or Oz!

Quote:

Seconded. Not sure if they're "the BEST", but they are right up there with Milne, Baum, and Lewis.

Quote:

You work in a library? Ooh, I'm jealous, LOL!

Old 10-27-2015, 06:35 AM   #119
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

Here's an assignment I had to do for English Honors, have to use the five senses with as much detail and elaboration as possible. Hoping it's good to the teacher, but any comments appreciated.

Awoken in a dim lit house, I find myself surrounded by fragmented canisters across the whole room, where a feeling of soreness greeted my revival from fatigue. Previous visions of the other night surprisingly didn’t accumulate; walking also became a grand annoyance from the unknown agony, resulting in my stumbling across the room mystified over the demolished residency. Thankfully, I uncovered a nearby flashlight with barely any light remaining to assist in traveling as I attempted to retrace my adventure from the previous evening. Surprisingly, a strange lament coming from the entertainment room appeared, resembling the voice of my roommate Jared. For any comrade to fall into a state of extreme despair is a frightening thought as I personally require all colleagues to remain content. Due to the eerie presence of the cries, I scrambled to advance despite the physical bruises and impaired bones, hoping to discover the issue in the household.

As I attempted to persist in remaining mute while traversing the house, the vanished memories slowly rebounded from the other night. With the bare remembrance of yesterday, I remembered Jared and I inviting a few people to our residency to spend the weekend. Throughout the previous twilight, all the attendees proceeded to recline and interact with one another in the festivities present; among the events included paintball wars and watching soccer. However, seemingly due to fatigue I fainted outside; the confusing aspect is how I reached my bedroom when I fell to the raw floor, making the return to the room an impossibility when unconcious. After seemingly taking an endless time period, my advent into the common room reached a conclusion; upon the meeting, a lifeless soul settled on the sofa.

Inspecting the area, the smell of sweat and distinctive drinks such as vodka and even fruit juice contaminated the room. The mere belief Jared was asleep was heavily flawed, as Jared’s heart wasn’t beating; Jared died the night before unbeknownst to me. Puzzled over how a man can party before passing on, I looked around for clues until I found a note from Jared, completely horrified. Before collapsing, Jared consumed an entire vodka bottle the night before; my initial beliefs stem from why Jared proceeded with such an idiotic decision. However I realized the circumstances behind the drinking: Jared at the time was suffering from depression after being fired from his job.

Although I created the party for Jared to recover, he refused to partake in the events and remained alone during the entire party. When I searched to bring him into the festivities, Jared utilized violence on me, screaming at me like I was his employer. Everyone was confused over the sudden tension heard, forcing me to escort the guests away; the second the final guest exited the premise, Jared attacked once more, rendering me unconscious. I can only assume the mayhem Jared caused and possibly damaging his friend caused him to finally break down, resulting in his demise. Ever since the infamous event, I’ve gone on to honor my fallen ally by naming an adopted child after Jared; even after progressing onward, I feel I am responsible for my friend’s demise for allowing the drinks inside. In hopes my child grows up a respected and honorable man, I only hope alcoholism never appears beyond the night I dread.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:55 AM   #120
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

Whoa. I really like it, GM. I think you have two mistakes though: Unconcious should be unconscious and premise should be premises. But other than that, it's good.