The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 02-19-2020, 11:43 AM   #1481
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

People often throw around "_____ killed my childhood!" or conversely, "What a bunch of whiners saying ____ killed their childhood!"... but this is the closest example of something I could ever say the former about. Because it kind of did.

Pretty much all my middle school/high school years, I was plugged into the Star Wars EU. And computer games, like Rebel Assault and the X-Wing, TIE-Fighter games. When episodes I-III were announced in the mid 90s, I dared to dream, "Wow... maaaybe one day, one day they'll do VII-IX. Wouldn't that be amazing?" When I was like 12, we would occasionally rent VHS tapes and record them in sh**ty quality on a second VHS player. I had IV, V, and VI recorded onto a single VHS tape, written by hand by me on the front and side. I remember setting aside a tape for I-III, for when they'd come out, and also VII-IX. I couldn't wait to one day record them on them. I'd wonder, "Hmmm... if they happen, will they set VII-IX 30 years later, so they leapfrog over all of the novel and comic stuff? I wonder what'll happen! I wonder what cool things Luke will do! I bet he can, like, pull capital ships down from orbit now." The sky was the limit! But no matter what would happen with new characters and torch passing or whatever... at least surely some truly magical new stuff with Luke, Leia and Han, right? It wasn't even a question in my head.

And then the Disney sale announcement, simultaneous to the VII-IX announcement. Many were skeptical, but I remained positive. This could be AMAZING! Then fast forward to the VII first trailer. "We're home, Chewie!" Eh, some concerns, maybe, but my enthusiasm was undeterred.

Then VII comes out. Eh. After my reactions ranging from "Whoo-hoo! Han is back!" to "this is just a f***ing remake, plain and simple," ultimately I more or less accept it as a movie that doesn't do anything new but kind of adequately sets the table for VIII and IX to do new, cool stuff. Morons would say, "JJ had no choice but to do a IV remake, after the horrible state Star Wars was left in after the terrible prequels! NOW whoever does VIII and IX is free to move forward!" Utter nonsense, but fine. We'll circle back in 2 years for VIII and hopefully everything VII sets up will pay off and we can hop off the circlejerk express.

VIII comes out. There was about a week after it came out where I was kind of still in a state of shock (not literally, but basically) for what I'd seen. I so much wanted to see new things and not, say, an V remake, I was temporarily willing to forgive so much. But then it set in -- the entire (potential) saving grace of VII was everything it set up. Little things, a vague line here and there, potential character turns that are setup, payoffs of random characters appearing at all, the big meeting with Rey and Luke... every single thing that VII setup, VIII threw out the window. Smugly. With laughter and "Thor: Ragnarok" one-liners. And it didn't stop there. Not content to tear down what little VII brought as a trilogy starter, it had to then tear down the conventions of Star Wars itself. Everything we ever thought was important in Star Wars, let alone this new trilogy... nope, none of it matters. Kill it. All the while bringing absolutely nothing new or interesting to the table and forgetting to give us even one thing to look forward to at the end of the movie, or any villainous threat left to stamp out. Kylo? We hardly are calling for his head at the end of the movie or anything.

Then the 2 years between VIII and IX. Two movies wasted now and nothing left to look forward to, my Star Wars enthusiasm is all but killed, just sort of coasting on life support, maybe the hope against hope that somehow, some way IX will surprise the hell out of me and turn the ship around with only the one episode to go. Mandalorian? Meh... cool, I guess, but it's not ever going to repair the self-inflicted sequel trilogy-sized hole that exists right now.

So IX comes out. Some moments are OK but it's laughably too busy. Sleight of hand to take your eye off the fact that nothing is actually happening. Nothing seems earned, no one really has discernible character arcs, and there is no sense of stakes or logic with the 2nd giant mystery Imperial fleet or Emperor return. Like VII, IX relies solely on nostalgia. "Remember when the Falcon did twists and turns down the corridor and shot back at TIE Fighters?" "Remember the Emperor throne room?" How sad that the only movie in this trilogy allowed to do anything new -- VIII -- was only interested in committing seppuku.

So yeah. If my enthusiasm for Star Wars was on life support between VIII and IX, IX put it out of its misery. The mercy kill.

Retroactively, how sad is it that in all the years and decades to come, whether you're popping in Episode I for a marathon run all the way through or Episode IV for an OT rewatch, or even showing them to your kids... no matter what you're about to see in those movies, you will always and forever know deep down the story will invariably arrive at the sequel trilogy. All of the heroes' sacrifices and journies... they all end up amounting to a whole big pit of nothing.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 02-19-2020 at 12:25 PM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 12:48 PM   #1482
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
People often throw around "_____ killed my childhood!" or conversely, "What a bunch of whiners saying ____ killed their childhood!"... but this is the closest example of something I could ever say the former about. Because it kind of did.

Pretty much all my middle school/high school years, I was plugged into the Star Wars EU. And computer games, like Rebel Assault and the X-Wing, TIE-Fighter games. When episodes I-III were announced in the mid 90s, I dared to dream, "Wow... maaaybe one day, one day they'll do VII-IX. Wouldn't that be amazing?" When I was like 12, we would occasionally rent VHS tapes and record them in sh**ty quality on a second VHS player. I had IV, V, and VI recorded onto a single VHS tape, written by hand by me on the front and side. I remember setting aside a tape for I-III, for when they'd come out, and also VII-IX. I couldn't wait to one day record them on them. I'd wonder, "Hmmm... if they happen, will they set VII-IX 30 years later, so they leapfrog over all of the novel and comic stuff? I wonder what'll happen! I wonder what cool things Luke will do! I bet he can, like, pull capital ships down from orbit now." The sky was the limit! But no matter what would happen with new characters and torch passing or whatever... at least surely some truly magical new stuff with Luke, Leia and Han, right? It wasn't even a question in my head.

And then the Disney sale announcement, simultaneous to the VII-IX announcement. Many were skeptical, but I remained positive. This could be AMAZING! Then fast forward to the VII first trailer. "We're home, Chewie!" Eh, some concerns, maybe, but my enthusiasm was undeterred.

Then VII comes out. Eh. After my reactions ranging from "Whoo-hoo! Han is back!" to "this is just a f***ing remake, plain and simple," ultimately I more or less accept it as a movie that doesn't do anything new but kind of adequately sets the table for VIII and IX to do new, cool stuff. Morons would say, "JJ had no choice but to do a IV remake, after the horrible state Star Wars was left in after the terrible prequels! NOW whoever does VIII and IX is free to move forward!" Utter nonsense, but fine. We'll circle back in 2 years for VIII and hopefully everything VII sets up will pay off and we can hop off the circlejerk express.

VIII comes out. There was about a week after it came out where I was kind of still in a state of shock (not literally, but basically) for what I'd seen. I so much wanted to see new things and not, say, an V remake, I was temporarily willing to forgive so much. But then it set in -- the entire (potential) saving grace of VII was everything it set up. Little things, a vague line here and there, potential character turns that are setup, payoffs of random characters appearing at all, the big meeting with Rey and Luke... every single thing that VII setup, VIII threw out the window. Smugly. With laughter and "Thor: Ragnarok" one-liners. And it didn't stop there. Not content to tear down what little VII brought as a trilogy starter, it had to then tear down the conventions of Star Wars itself. Everything we ever thought was important in Star Wars, let alone this new trilogy... nope, none of it matters. Kill it. All the while bringing absolutely nothing new or interesting to the table and forgetting to give us even one thing to look forward to at the end of the movie, or any villainous threat left to stamp out. Kylo? We hardly are calling for his head at the end of the movie or anything.

Then the 2 years between VIII and IX. Two movies wasted now and nothing left to look forward to, my Star Wars enthusiasm is all but killed, just sort of coasting on life support, maybe the hope against hope that somehow, some way IX will surprise the hell out of me and turn the ship around with only the one episode to go. Mandalorian? Meh... cool, I guess, but it's not ever going to repair the self-inflicted sequel trilogy-sized hole that exists right now.

So IX comes out. Some moments are OK but it's laughably too busy. Sleight of hand to take your eye off the fact that nothing is actually happening. Nothing seems earned, no one really has discernible character arcs, and there is no sense of stakes or logic with the 2nd giant mystery Imperial fleet or Emperor return. Like VII, IX relies solely on nostalgia. "Remember when the Falcon did twists and turns down the corridor and shot back at TIE Fighters?" "Remember the Emperor throne room?" How sad that the only movie in this trilogy allowed to do anything new -- VIII -- was only interested in committing seppuku.

So yeah. If my enthusiasm for Star Wars was on life support between VIII and IX, IX put it out of its misery. The mercy kill.

Retroactively, how sad is it that in all the years and decades to come, whether you're popping in Episode I for a marathon run all the way through or Episode IV for an OT rewatch, or even showing them to your kids... no matter what you're about to see in those movies, you will always and forever know deep down the story will invariably arrive at the sequel trilogy. All of the heroes' sacrifices and journies... they all end up amounting to a whole big pit of nothing.
very nicely summed up.

Disney really did destroy Star Wars. and as much as i enjoy The Mandalorian it's just a nice Nostalgia ride that really doesn't feel like it'll be anything more than a neat little show. i really do hope the second season will be as good as the first.

as far as re-watching the classic Star Wars films from the beginning, i don't see the character's journeys ever arriving at the Disney Trilogy. as far as i'm concerned, Lego Star Wars said it best....

none of that Disney Trilogy garbage needs to be mentioned ever again.
Old 02-19-2020, 02:36 PM   #1483
Leo656
The Franchise

You're a good egg, Andrew.

Multiply that same post, and more or less those exact same feelings/experiences by millions of people, and you have a crystal clear picture of WHY the Disney Star Wars crap is so poorly-viewed by so many longtime fans.

Literally the ONLY people I ever hear say anything good about the "sequel trilogy" are people who never cared about SW until TFA. That pretty much says it all.

Meanwhile, I still see those Rey figures piled up and shelf-warming at Wal-Mart. Tsk tsk.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 02:56 PM   #1484
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Agreed. Given a choice between figs of Rey or Mara Jade, guess which one I'd pick? Both are "strong female Jedi characters", but only ONE really "fits" what SW is and always has been. And it ain't the new girl in town....

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics (including TMNT!!) are here:

http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_C...?showforum=188
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 04:13 PM   #1485
AquaParade
Big Boss

I'm being a bit facetious and talking out my ass, but as a TMNT fan, I don't even feel bad for Star Wars fans. You have it all. The worlds biggest truckload of goodies - Blockbuster cinema that's occasionally great, rides, novels, comics, figures, cons, and extended universe content of all kinds. So what if you're most recent films were just good at best and total crap at worst??

I mean, if TMNT 1990 is my Star Wars, what does that make TMNT 2014, if not the bane of my very existence? At least The Force Awakens didn't have fart jokes. "Heh...Pepperoni" - Fawk!!

Spoiler:

Again, I'm just having fun here and joking around. Loss is loss and there is absolutely no need to compare the franchises.

Last edited by AquaParade; 02-19-2020 at 04:18 PM.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 08:24 PM   #1486
frank_one
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
I mean, if TMNT 1990 is my Star Wars, what does that make TMNT 2014
It's a reboot, not a sequel. It is like a new universe of its own you can ignore. Ep 7-9 are direct sequels, you cannot ignore them that easily. They will forever be a part of the story.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 06:53 AM   #1487
CyberCubed
Overlord

The thing is they should have made Episodes 7-9 back in the 90s when Luke, Han and Leia were still relatively young and done a loose adaption of the novels at the time. Then these movies in 2015-2019 during the Disney buyout should have been Episodes 10-12.

People wanted to see Luke/Han/Leia in another adventure together but the lack of movies during the 90s when the actors were still young kinda screwed this over. I know Lucas was never planning on making sequels back then but in an alternate timeline it would have been the perfect time. Then of course the prequels would have still happened in the early 2000s.

They could have even kept the same cast for the sequels with Rey and Kylo either way assuming they didnt have Han/Leia with the kids from the EU in theoretical sequels prior.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 09:01 AM   #1488
Sumac
Foot Elite

I'd prefer if they did completely separate story from the PT and OT.

Fresh faces, fresh story, no more conflict between empire and rebel scum. Maybe few references and cameos here and there, but no more than that.

Of course, Hollywood is too creatively bankrupt and scared to do something like that.
Old 02-20-2020, 09:38 AM   #1489
IMJ
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The thing is they should have made Episodes 7-9 back in the 90s when Luke, Han and Leia were still relatively young and done a loose adaption of the novels at the time. Then these movies in 2015-2019 during the Disney buyout should have been Episodes 10-12.
Absolutely. This is how I feel about Indiana Jones as well. I remember watching the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles episode with Harrison Ford on T.V. with my parents. At the time, it was a big deal - like a T.V. event. I remember we all commented how old he looked - with his grey beard, lol!

Looking back they could've pounded out two or three new Indy movies. Now all of that is a disaster.
Old 02-20-2020, 11:41 AM   #1490
AquaParade
Big Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_one View Post
It's a reboot, not a sequel. It is like a new universe of its own you can ignore. Ep 7-9 are direct sequels, you cannot ignore them that easily. They will forever be a part of the story.
Fair point, indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The thing is they should have made Episodes 7-9 back in the 90’s when Luke, Han and Leia we’re still relatively young and done a loose adaption of the novels at the time. Then these movies in 2015-2019 during the Disney buyout should have been Episodes 10-12.

People wanted to see Luke/Han/Leia in another adventure together but the lack of movies during the 90’s when the actors were still young kinda screwed this over. I know Lucas was never planning on making sequels back then but in an alternate timeline it would have been the perfect time. Then of course the prequels would have still happened in the early 2000’s.

They could have even kept the same cast for the sequels with Rey and Kylo either way assuming they didn’t have Han/Leia with the kids from the EU in theoretical sequels prior.
A 90's trilogy featuring the OG characters is kind of crazy to imagine. But at the same time, surprising in some ways that it didn't.
Old 02-20-2020, 12:17 PM   #1491
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Even if they recast younger versions of Luke, Han (which they already have handy), and Leia and did "fill in the blanks" movies between VI and VII with Thrawn or Jedi Academy... I just don't care. They showed us where things end up in VII and they might as well have not even ever joined the Rebel Alliance to begin with. Nothing they did mattered in the OT. Not one thing.

OT: Rebels overthrow the Empire => ST: The Empire comes back, the former Rebels become Rebels again overnight (which again, is so stupid. It's like, if Russia blew up Rhode Island and Delaware tomorrow, the United States suddenly declaring itself a rebellion).

OT: The heroes kill the Emperor => ST: The Emperor comes back.

OT: Luke becomes the first of a new generation of Jedi => ST: Luke fails to start a Jedi Academy, all of his students die except one, who goes evil.

OT: Han and Leia get together => ST: Han and Leia break up. They had one child, who dies.

OT: Han goes from being a smuggler to a heroic military general => ST: Han is back to being a smuggler.

OT: Luke becomes a Jedi Knight, on his way to being a master => ST: Luke doesn't even want to use the Force anymore. Uses it once, just to suicide.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 02-20-2020 at 02:51 PM.
Old 02-20-2020, 12:33 PM   #1492
AquaParade
Big Boss

The fact that George Lucas was so heavily involved in the other six films, which are his babies, sort of makes it easy to just ignore the Disney films, should one choose, in my mind. I know mileage will vary on that.
Old 02-20-2020, 12:45 PM   #1493
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
The fact that George Lucas was so heavily involved in the other six films, which are his babies, sort of makes it easy to just ignore the Disney films, should one choose, in my mind. I know mileage will vary on that.
Old 02-20-2020, 02:48 PM   #1494
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Quote:
Even if they recast younger versions of Luke, Han (which they already have handy), and Leia and did "fill in the blanks" movies between VI and VII with Thrawn or Jedi Academy... I just don't care. They showed us where things end up in VII and they might as well have not even ever joined the Rebel Alliance to begin with. Nothing they did mattered in the OT. Not one thing.
You are not wrong about this!

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 03:35 PM   #1495
CyberCubed
Overlord

The entire Star Wars saga should now be called the Palpatine saga rather than the Skywalker saga. The whole series is now retrospectively about Palpatine and his granddaughter for 9 movies.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 07:47 PM   #1496
Leo656
The Franchise

Yep. And that's just the drizzling sh*ts.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 07:48 PM   #1497
sdp
Winsider

To me what made me question my love for star wars was Episode III originally but I was able to overlook its flaws and look at its positives. Ep VII got me apathetic towards star wars, Rogue One didn't help and VIII killed it. And you can see that from my evolution of posts towards star wars after VII and VIII, it was recently that I was able to come to terms with Disney star wars.

To me Star Wars will be the original movies, the prequels and all the cool stories that have come, I mean animated shows, comics, movies, books etc. I'll choose from the ones that I like, this will include any Disney stuff, but to me I'll just stick to my own canon with the stories I like, not the crap Disney is putting out, and I'll just keep any cool stuff Disney might do because I'm sure they will.

Sexy Rave & TMNT @ MiscRave.com
Twitter @ 0sdp
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 08:37 PM   #1498
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I don't even like the way the old EU ended up, but the least Disney can do at this point is let it continue with new novels and comics and video games maybe so that fans can ignore the ST entirely while still getting new stuff.
Old 02-21-2020, 07:11 PM   #1499
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Star Wars movie news goes so back and forth I did not know if it merited its own thread. There may be a Star Wars movie set on the Sith homeworld of Exegol in pre-production.
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...000621978.html

Though relevant directly to the movie, the last day of March will see the release of Rise of Skywalker on DBD. No cut footage or behind the scenes made available on the DVD is known at this time.
https://cosmicbook.news/star-wars-ri...lu-ray-release

Check out the best DC Comics site on the net:
http://new.dcuwiki.net/forums/index.php
Now featuring Ethan Van Sciver!

Last edited by MikeandRaph87; 02-21-2020 at 07:30 PM.
MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 08:32 PM   #1500
IMJ
Mad Scientist

Star Wars needs to be boycotted until Kathleen Kennedy is gone and until it's also apparent that Rian Johnson won't be come anywhere near it again. Resist your addictions people.

Tags
abrams rides again, cuck wars, sothisishowstarwarsdies