The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion > Collection Photos

Notices

Old 05-24-2017, 08:25 PM   #241
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPliggins View Post
Ok, time for an update. While I've been busy working on my Amazing Spider-man run, I've also been getting a few new TMNT items here and there.

I recently acquired some original inking sheets from 1984 and 1985. These are copies of original art that Eastman and Laird used to practice inking and sometimes color. All of these sheets were unused in that respect, so no original art, but they still feature some really cool art!
http://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/...psdgtpjdbb.jpg

I also recently acquired these 2 pages of art from the final issue of City At War. I love the final story arc of volume 1, and it's great to add a couple more pages to my collection.
http://art.cafimg.com/images/Categor...33251gpadd.jpghttp://art.cafimg.com/images/Categor...19171gpadd.jpg

Also new to the collection are these, 3 more iron-ons from 1986. Pretty cool that 2 of them are variants of ones I already have. Always cool to find new ones of these colossal pains-in-the-ass to find:
http://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/...psw2crrwby.jpg

Here's the current iron-on collection. Let me know if you have any for sale that I don't have.
http://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/...pslrdfhklc.jpg

Last but not least, A few con-like sketches from Ryan Brown, Mark Bode and Simon Bisley.
http://art.cafimg.com/images/Categor...44371gpadd.jpghttp://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/...psq49p3avu.jpghttp://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/...psckvhkynb.jpg

That's all of my TMNT acquisitions as of late. Hope you enjoy and thanks for looking.
Are you collecting every issue or just a specific run? Isn't that like 700 plus issues?
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 08:43 PM   #242
MrPliggins
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
Could you post a better image of the entire Raphael inking sheet?
sure
MrPliggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 08:47 PM   #243
MrPliggins
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleWA View Post
Are you collecting every issue or just a specific run? Isn't that like 700 plus issues?
Not every issue. Mainly Silver/Bronze Age, up to 129. I do have up to the end of the first run, before the volume 2 reboot, but I'm thinking of minimizing to just 1-129 plus bigger keys like 194, 238, 300, etc. Being a minimalist and a collector at the same time is a weird thing.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:04 PM   #244
Sabacooza
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Thanks for the better picture. That's a sweet piece.
Sabacooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:07 PM   #245
MrPliggins
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
Thanks for the better picture. That's a sweet piece.
Yeah it's one of my favorites of the bunch, and it's one that I don't recall ever seeing anywhere in published form. Always cool to find "new" old pieces of Eastman and Laird art!
Old 05-24-2017, 09:45 PM   #246
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Quote:
Not every issue. Mainly Silver/Bronze Age, up to 129. I do have up to the end of the first run, before the volume 2 reboot, but I'm thinking of minimizing to just 1-129 plus bigger keys like 194, 238, 300, etc. Being a minimalist and a collector at the same time is a weird thing.
That's still a lot. Cool collection though! Do you have AF#15? I have never had a chance to get much into Spiderman but want to.

I do have about a half dozen issues I picked up when buying other books at estates. I have kept them bc of the cool covers.

I have seen the Omnibus collections that go up to #104, spread out among three volumes. I'm thinking about getting Vol 1 which collects AF15, ASM 1-38,annual 1-2, strange tales annual 2 and fantastic four annual 1.

Do you have a favorite run that's in a collected book that you would recommend?

Yeah minimalist collector, like living dead. lol A juicy contradiction.

Last edited by TurtleWA; 05-24-2017 at 09:54 PM.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:00 PM   #247
MrPliggins
Foot Elite

Quote:
That's still a lot. Cool collection though! Do you have AF#15? I have never had a chance to get much into Spiderman but want to.

I do have about a half dozen issues I picked up when buying other books at estates. I have kept them bc of the cool covers.

I have seen the Omnibus collections that go up to #104, spread out among three volumes. I'm thinking about getting Vol 1 which collects AF15, ASM 1-38,annual 1-2, strange tales annual 2 and fantastic four annual 1.

Do you have a favorite run that's in a collected book that you would recommend?
Unfortunately, no AF 15 here. I think at this point it's out of reach pricewise outside of a lucky garage sale find. Still need a Spider-man #1 also.

Sounds like that volume you mentioned collects all the Steve Ditko issues, which are hit and miss, but feature some great first appearances. It gets going pretty well starting with #39 and John Romita Sr.s run. All the way up until 122, the death of the Green Goblin. I say i'll collect up to 129, the first appearance of the Punisher, but I don't really like that issue storywise all that much. The cover is great though.

These books are a real product of their time (the '60s) and were even made before I was born but still hold appeal to me.
Other runs I liked were the original Hobgoblin run of issues (238-270ish), and the McFarlane run (298-328 ). I even started out liking the Clone Saga but it fell of the rails really fast and outstayed its welcome.

I stopped reading at One More Day, so I can't speak to the current storylines, although I've heard Superior Spider-man was good.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:05 PM   #248
MrPliggins
Foot Elite

Quote:

Yeah minimalist collector, like living dead. lol A juicy contradiction.
Yeah, these days I keep my collection limited to things that are easily stored, like prints, cels, original art or comics. I actually want to trim a large amount of my comic collection down. At the moment I have six long boxes which I'd like to trim to two.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:20 PM   #249
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Yeah #1 could be achieved I think in a lower grade. But that AF15 daaang.

Yeah a lot to choose from. I was thinking vol. 1 for the history of the place it all started and it does have AF15 for a dust jacket. After that I am looking for the real good stories. I think those issues after #238 and up you mention is a good start. I wonder if any tpb have been printed collecting those?

I hear you on the space of boxes thing. I am switching to more collected volumes bc I think they take up less space and will be read more often. What's in those six boxes you want to trim?
Old 05-25-2017, 06:12 AM   #250
MrPliggins
Foot Elite

That vol. 1 would be a good place to start. I'm sure there are probably some TPBs but I'm not really familiar with the TPB releases.
The six boxes contain Spider-man, Hulk and TMNT comics mostly, then I try to keep limited to about a box of other random stuff that I like.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:13 AM   #251
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Hulk #181?
Do you have anymore issues of TMNT Adventures? I have about ten left to complete the 1-72 run. Mostly issues in the 50s & 60s.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:55 PM   #252
MrPliggins
Foot Elite

Yes, my Hulk 181 was actually one of those lucky flea market finds. Unfortunately, I only have early Adventures issues left, sorry. I used to have them all. Good luck!
Old 05-25-2017, 10:15 PM   #253
TurtleWA
Foot Elite

Nice score with the 181! Thanks yeah I'll eventually have all 72 I think.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:02 PM   #254
MrPliggins
Foot Elite

Holy Grail acquired. This is arguably the rarest of the 1980s iron-on set: Fugitoid! I actually questioned its existence in unused form for a long time, until one surfaced from the archives of Steve Lavigne last year. As far as I'm aware, this is the only one in existence:

I also acquired this cool little item: An original mailing envelope from someone who ordered a full set of iron-ons from Mirage in the '80s:

And this, an order form for early Mirage merchandise, with a little note from Kevin on the back:

As always, thanks for looking and happy collecting.

Last edited by MrPliggins; 05-07-2020 at 11:43 AM.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:07 PM   #255
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Quote:
Holy Grail acquired. This is arguably the rarest of the 1980s iron-on set: Fugitoid! I actually questioned the existence of this in unused form for a long time, until one surfaced from the archives of Steve Lavigne last year:
http://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/...psuebswbhn.jpg

I also acquired this cool little item: An original mailing envelope from someone who ordered a full set of iron-ons from Mirage in the '80s:
http://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/...psc9yhu5af.jpg

And this, an order form for early Mirage pre-surge merchandise, with a little note from Kevin on the back:
http://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/...psx778goz7.jpghttp://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/...pscfuedi0t.jpg

As always, thanks for looking and happy collecting.
Wow, talk about hard-to-find Mirage merch! Very cool purchases.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 06:08 AM   #256
OA
Scatter the nuns!!

How awesome is that?! Congrats on such an amazing pickup.
OA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 06:27 AM   #257
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
Quote:
Ok, time for an update. While I've been busy working on my Amazing Spider-man run, I've also been getting a few new TMNT items here and there.

I recently acquired some original inking sheets from 1984 and 1985. These are copies of original art that Eastman and Laird used to practice inking and sometimes color. All of these sheets were unused in that respect, so no original art, but they still feature some really cool art!

if and when you get a chance, would you be able to post larger single shots of the Leonardo inking sheets? (top-right and second in from bottom right)

thank you
Old 06-20-2017, 05:30 PM   #258
MrPliggins
Foot Elite

Thanks for the kind words, guys. These 2 pieces were actually used for the button set (left) and the glow-in-the-dark t-shirt (right).

Also, I forgot to post this yesterday. Here's a Mirage letter that was included with an iron-on, apologizing for the delay in shipment for that and a Dark Horse Miniatures set, circa 1985. I love the old page header:

Last edited by MrPliggins; 05-09-2020 at 02:25 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:33 AM   #259
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
Quote:
Thanks for the kind words, guys. These 2 pieces were actually used for the button set (left) and the glow-in-the-dark t-shirt (right).
Thank you for posting these!

they are both really beautiful!
Old 06-22-2017, 05:30 PM   #260
MrPliggins
Foot Elite

No problem! I've always loved that glow in the dark shirt piece but it's a cheaply printed shirt so the linework isn't the clearest. I'd like to scan these and try my hand at digitally coloring them one of these days (I don't want to mess up the "original" copies).