Mad Scientist

TMNT: Jennika II #2 Preview and Discussion

First look:

Spoiler:
AlZarkovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 01:08 PM   #2
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Is this series still scheduled for 6 issues?

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 01:18 PM   #3
CyberCubed
Overlord

Yes. Also this issue reminds me of the original cartoon episode with the giant mutated bugs. The praying mantis, giant ant, etc.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 01:48 PM   #4
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Yes. Also this issue reminds me of the original cartoon episode with the giant mutated bugs. The praying mantis, giant ant, etc.
"Big Bug Blunder?"

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 03:55 AM   #5
AlZarkovski
Mad Scientist

Full preview.
AlZarkovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 05:58 AM   #6
lonewarrior20
Mad Scientist

It wouldn't suprise me if a volenter mutant fire, search, and rescue squad gets created from this.
lonewarrior20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 10:22 AM   #7
Mutant Ninja Anole
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewarrior20 View Post
It wouldn't suprise me if a volenter mutant fire, search, and rescue squad gets created from this.
Lol at the defunded fire dept. I assume it has less to do with money as a lack of mutated firefighter personnel.
Old 12-02-2020, 09:38 AM   #8
ChosenOne
Banned

This was such a great issue! It felt really long and I didn't want it to end, I love these new developments. Can't wait to see where it goes from here!

And it's funny how, in the span of just a few pages, we get to see how the media operates in warping the truth and what defunding crucial city departments gets you. Very timely, if unintentional, commentary.

Why is Jennika so much more likable and dynamic here than in the ongoing? It's almost like they're two different characters. Her Spider-Man moment (you'll know it when you see it, no way that wasn't an homage) was great! The tears really helped sell it.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 10:27 AM   #9
Mutant Ninja Anole
Stone Warrior

Yo, we got Morlocks.

Stories about homeless people living in the dark New York City have a long history, and depending on what sources you believe, there are currently over 2000 people living in the subway tunnels in NY. Of course that also breeds all sorts of urban legends, which makes for fun fiction.

The odd thing is that given the setting, those spooky stories about shape changing monsters and witch creatures stealing kids might not be wrong. In a world with figures like the Rat King and other Pantheon members, who knows what to think.

I agree this was a good issue. I’m probably more sympathetic to Ivan than the author even is, but I appreciate the attempt to humanize him.
Old 12-02-2020, 10:31 AM   #10
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutant Ninja Anole View Post
Yo, we got Morlocks.

Stories about homeless people living in the dark New York City have a long history, and depending on what sources you believe, there are currently over 2000 people living in the subway tunnels in NY. Of course that also breeds all sorts of urban legends, which makes for fun fiction.

The odd thing is that given the setting, those spooky stories about shape changing monsters and witch creatures stealing kids might not be wrong. In a world with figures like the Rat King and other Pantheon members, who knows what to think.

I agree this was a good issue. I’m probably more sympathetic to Ivan than the author even is, but I appreciate the attempt to humanize him.
Yeah, the urban legend/underground exploration with unlimited possibilities vibe really felt like those early issues of Archie TMNT where the Turtles first met Leatherhead and the Rat King, or at least the way they felt to me when I was a kid who grew up reading them. This is the sort of setting and mood that first made me fall in love with TMNT, words can't begin to describe how amazing it is to feel like that little kid all over again.
Old 12-02-2020, 02:32 PM   #11
Mutant Ninja Anole
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
Yeah, the urban legend/underground exploration with unlimited possibilities vibe really felt like those early issues of Archie TMNT where the Turtles first met Leatherhead and the Rat King, or at least the way they felt to me when I was a kid who grew up reading them. This is the sort of setting and mood that first made me fall in love with TMNT, words can't begin to describe how amazing it is to feel like that little kid all over again.
Really, the introduction of the Shadow people and this whole now mutant underworld society honestly could be an interesting addition to the main series.

Two random bits I wanted to point out: I noticed the opossum lady had 3 babies, which is a fun gag (opossums are marsupials and somewhat famous for carrying their children on their backs) but also gets across that Ivan unwittingly attacked a mom and her kids. Also, the bebop looking visor mutant at the end with a mohawk seems to be a reference to the Mutants from the Dark Knight Returns.
Old 12-02-2020, 02:50 PM   #12
lonewarrior20
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Really, the introduction of the Shadow people and this whole now mutant underworld society honestly could be an interesting addition to the main series.

Two random bits I wanted to point out: I noticed the opossum lady had 3 babies, which is a fun gag (opossums are marsupials and somewhat famous for carrying their children on their backs) but also gets across that Ivan unwittingly attacked a mom and her kids. Also, the bebop looking visor mutant at the end with a mohawk seems to be a reference to the Mutants from the Dark Knight Returns.
i was thinking cyclops from x-men. so far at least they're not c.h.u.d.s or shredder worshipers.

"If the sun comes up tomorrow, it is only because of men of good will. That is all there is between us and the devil."
Kenny O'Donnell

https://www.deviantart.com/lonewarrior20 my fan comic/episodes of the lost season, weird ideas and my collection pics
Old 12-02-2020, 05:44 PM   #13
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
I noticed the opossum lady had 3 babies, which is a fun gag (opossums are marsupials and somewhat famous for carrying their children on their backs) but also gets across that Ivan unwittingly attacked a mom and her kids.
I noticed that too and it had slipped my mind until now with everything that was going in. That raises an interesting set of questions: when did she and her children get mutated? Why did they all mutate into the same species? Just for that one-panel gag? Do people with the same DNA mutate into the same animal species when exposed to mutagen? Are the Shadow People even mutants, or something else? You know, this should be happening in the ongoing.
Old 12-02-2020, 05:47 PM   #14
lonewarrior20
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
I noticed that too and it had slipped my mind until now with everything that was going in. That raises an interesting set of questions: when did she and her children get mutated? Why did they all mutate into the same species? Just for that one-panel gag? Do people with the same DNA mutate into the same animal species when exposed to mutagen? Are the Shadow People even mutants, or something else? You know, this should be happening in the ongoing.
it does though, remember when the kids were reunited with their family's after the eel mutant? most of the parents seemed the same animals.

"If the sun comes up tomorrow, it is only because of men of good will. That is all there is between us and the devil."
Kenny O'Donnell

https://www.deviantart.com/lonewarrior20 my fan comic/episodes of the lost season, weird ideas and my collection pics
Old 12-02-2020, 11:14 PM   #15
Mutant Ninja Anole
Stone Warrior

I’ve pondered that too, though in opossum lady’s case I suppose it’s possible those were born post mutagen, it’s been over 6 months, if she was pregnant, or if her gestation time is now closer to that of a real opossum...eh this is probably a sign I have too much time on my hands isn’t it? In the name of simplicity, I’m going to assume people of close relation react to the mutagen bomb in similar ways.

Anyways, a very, very small part of me wants this whole monster mutation thing to end up being a plot by Bebop and Rocksteady again, just to start a running gag that would continue with every Jennika mini ending with Bebop and Rocksteady being behind everything.
Old 12-03-2020, 12:45 AM   #16
Sophie Campbell
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

I just read #1 and #2 of this, it's so good. I gotta bug Bobby to get the pdf of the next issue so I can find out what happens early!
Sophie Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 02:45 AM   #17
hypered1
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie Campbell View Post
I just read #1 and #2 of this, it's so good. I gotta bug Bobby to get the pdf of the next issue so I can find out what happens early!
Huh, that surprises me. I would have thought you would've been more in the loop to prevent plot inconsistencies between the main series and mini series.
Old 12-03-2020, 07:23 AM   #18
Sharman
Foot Soldier

Yup, I agree - really good issue. Lots of stuff going on with great future potential.
Eager for the next issue now ...
Sharman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 08:44 AM   #19
CyberCubed
Overlord

Jennika does feel written differently here than the main ongoing especially when Tom was writing her. I don't how to describe it, she feels more girly in this mini-series? In the main ongoing she's usually written very stoic and no-nonsense like.

In this mini and the previous one she feels a lot more insecure/girly and a lot more sensitive, I guess because the people in this with her past.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 09:06 AM   #20
Mutant Ninja Anole
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Jennika does feel written differently here than the main ongoing especially when Tom was writing her. I don't how to describe it, she feels more girly in this mini-series? In the main ongoing she's usually written very stoic and no-nonsense like.

In this mini and the previous one she feels a lot more insecure/girly and a lot more sensitive, I guess because the people in this with her past.
She was a pretty reserved figure in her early days, but I feel in the lead up to the City at War arc she was slowly becoming more open and vulnerable with her feelings as she developed friendships, learned to trust, and decided such things didn't mean weakness. Developing a relationship with Casey, learning under Splinter, then even defying his order in favor of his sons because she believed it was the right thing to do. Some might even call it, character development? What? Of course then Karai attempted to kill her and she became mutated.

Ironically, I suppose for a young woman, being turned into a reptile and dealing with the fallout of your boyfriend's response could make you more acutely aware of those feminine traits you took for granted before.

I do agree bringing in people from her past such as Silas and Ivan does probably contribute to breaking down the barriers she'd built up as part of the Foot.

Last edited by Mutant Ninja Anole; 12-03-2020 at 10:37 AM.
Mutant Ninja Anole is offline   Reply With Quote