The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 02-07-2012, 08:40 PM   #81
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I don't think we have anything to worry about. How can IDW keep that series going when it hits 300, but TMNT makes 100 and we're acting like the series is in trouble? Seriously.
Again, licensing fees. IDW is probably not paying much to whoever owns JP to make that book.

That being said, who the hell said anything about the series being in trouble?
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:46 PM   #82
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
I assume IDW is turning a profit, what % of sales goes to Nick?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Again, licensing fees.
There's a chance I'm dead wrong and it probably varies from company to company and property to property, but I believe licensing fees for comics generally work as some kind of static, flat fee, not a %. "I intend to print X number of copies of X number of issues through X end date" to which the license holder goes, "OK, that will cost you X flat fee to do that."

Though if a book is successful and they want to increase output (more mini-series, a companion series, specials, reprints, etc.) then they have to go back and renegotiate their contract with Nick/Viacom.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:23 PM   #83
ToTheNines
[sic]

February:

107. TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES ONGOING #7 - 18,769

129. TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES MICRO SERIES #3 - 15,617
Old 03-13-2012, 05:40 PM   #84
Matches Malone
Stone Warrior

Also, the first TPB "Change is Constant" made #10 according to Comics Beat. The highest non DC/Marvel book besides The Walking Dead. Not bad!
Old 03-13-2012, 07:59 PM   #85
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
February:

107. TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES ONGOING #7 - 18,769

129. TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES MICRO SERIES #3 - 15,617
Makes me wonder if the drop-off between the Micro's is people don't know they exist.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:03 PM   #86
Matches Malone
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Makes me wonder if the drop-off between the Micro's is people don't know they exist.
You can't really compare the Micro-Series with the main ongoing as they are two different series. I'm sure it's simply a matter of a few thousand fans out there who don't feel the need to buy an "extra" comic outside the main story. It dropped off a bit between the first and second Micro-Series, but Donatello is pretty much in line with the Michelangelo one (about 15.5K). It'll probably pick up a bit with Leonardo, actually, since that one's going to be a pretty important one, story-wise.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:41 PM   #87
DonatelloFan
"The Pixel Dad"

Alright, I'm VERY new to this whole comic ranking stuff, and still don't quite get it, but it looks like from everyone on here is saying, it's all good.

So when TMNT ranks around #100 or so, that's out of all the comics that month, right? But TMNT is IDW's #1 seller? If that's the case, then it should be all good.

This discussion is long past, but tell me how readers can drop off with #5 because they know that the bandanas were going to change to multi-colored. So that's like saying 'everyone who is deciding to buy a comic looks through it first, decides then if they like what's going on, then buys/doesn't buy it because of a bandana change'? I would think people would buy the comic first, then decide not to buy future issues because of that, but who in the hell would honestly not buy a comic book because of bandanas?

My first issues bought were #5B and #7GCE, then I bought #2 from Jetpack, #3, 4, 6, Raphael, Donatello, and Michelangelo from eBay, then saw the B&W Mikey at Hastings. Even though when I checked the mail today to see I had my Mikey & Don issues (both the color Dan Petersen covers), when I saw the B&W Petersen cover at Hastings (20 minutes after I got my others in the mail, mind you), I had to have it.

So now, I just need Issue #1, and it may be pending, depending on the people accept my offer. The series is pretty good so far. It's getting interesting. And the end of the Raphael issue? Oh man, I was ex-CITED!! I will continue to try buying them at my comic shop and Hastings, but if I don't see the cover I want, I'll go to eBay.

I just know that people buying on eBay hurts sales a little bit, because otherwise I would be buying from a store. I hate that, but I want specific covers, and since my comic shop is small, they MIGHT get Cover B for an issue, but usually, I like the Retail Incentive covers.

I'll continue to read because I think it's interesting. I'm not a fan of the Black Stockman thing, but that's because I grew up with the cartoon, so it's weird to me. But the end of Issue #7 was a great cliffhanger, and makes me want more. As long as the stories don't get stale or boring, I'll buy every month.

And by the way, Dan Petersen's covers are freaking amazing. I can not WAIT for the Leonardo issue to come out!!!

On this forum
On Facebook

Samples:

DonatelloFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:24 AM   #88
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonatelloFan View Post
But TMNT is IDW's #1 seller? If that's the case, then it should be all good.
Nah, it was beat out by Magic the Gathering #1 and #2.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:59 AM   #89
DonatelloFan
"The Pixel Dad"

I was just going by what was said earlier in the thread. I guess it WAS the best seller for IDW, but no longer (at the moment anyway).

On this forum
On Facebook

Samples:

DonatelloFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:54 AM   #90
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
I was just going by what was said earlier in the thread. I guess it WAS the best seller for IDW, but no longer (at the moment anyway).
Ah, ok. Yeah, it's been IDW's best seller over all since August, but it's been usurped a couple of times by "MTG" and "Danger Girl".
Old 03-14-2012, 11:07 AM   #91
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
So when TMNT ranks around #100 or so, that's out of all the comics that month, right? But TMNT is IDW's #1 seller? If that's the case, then it should be all good.
The top 100 is all dominated by DC and Marvel comics.

The fact that TMNT gets around there is impressive in itself. That means its one of the best selling non-DC/Marvel comics currently out there, outselling a lot of the other stuff from Image, Darkhorse and IDW's other comic properties.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:01 AM   #92
ToTheNines
[sic]

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/marc...es-charts.html

TMNT came in at 98 (77 in dollar rank). Lost a lot of readers, but March sales were really low all around.

Last edited by ToTheNines; 04-05-2012 at 10:10 AM.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:07 AM   #93
CyberCubed
Overlord

Its good to see the series always hover around the 100 mark at the least.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:15 PM   #94
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
http://www.newsarama.com/comics/marc...es-charts.html

TMNT came in at 98 (77 in dollar rank). Lost a lot of readers, but March sales were really low all around.
Not sure where you are getting the 'lost a lot of readers' thing. We're close to, if not above 20K, through issue 10.
Bobby Curnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:25 PM   #95
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Curnow View Post
Not sure where you are getting the 'lost a lot of readers' thing. We're close to, if not above 20K, through issue 10.
I might be reading that wrong, but it looks like #8 only sold 14,000 as opposed to the 18,000 last month.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:53 PM   #96
Shreddhead
Mad Scientist

Im really glad to see the numbers staying fairly consistent. I know i have really been enjoying the series and its good to see that others have too.

Shreddhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:46 PM   #97
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

No, if I'm looking at what I think you're looking at, that's just the 'index', I personally have no idea what that means (if it was the numbers, I would think Invincible Iron Man would be selling more than 24K at the #63 spot. In fact, I know it does). Yeah, all the ongoings have been over 18K. They may have dipped a little below, that but then started climbing again. Both #9 and #10 are above 19K in pre-orders.

Micro-series have all been above 16K.

I always like the Beat's sales analysis, even though they don't report foreign sales (which add about 10%) or re-orders. Here's the last posted numbers. February should be up early next week.

http://www.comicsbeat.com/2012/03/01...ry-2012%C2%A0/

Long story short, sales are doing great. So many thanks to you guys. Turtles look healthy for the foreseeable future.
Bobby Curnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:08 PM   #98
ToTheNines
[sic]

Ah, cool. Thanks.

Any idea how many issues Infestation 2: TMNT sold?
Old 04-05-2012, 09:01 PM   #99
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Curnow View Post
Long story short, sales are doing great. So many thanks to you guys. Turtles look healthy for the foreseeable future.
Thanks for the good news and u guys deserve a lot of credit too.
I never bought comics in my life, but I decided in Oct.. or so to buy a 2nd printing of issues 1 and 2 and I was hooked. I have bough every issue so far and I am loving the story, cannot wait for issue 10 with shredder and Leo micro-series.

Comics is my heroine now
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:50 PM   #100
TMNT is cooler than MOTU
Stone Warrior

I don't think anyone has to worry about it getting cancelled. It's IDW's #2 book behind Magic: The Gathering.

Thank you for getting rid of Hamato Yoshi, Michael Bay and Co.! He was suuuuuper unnecessary.
TMNT is cooler than MOTU is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comic discussion