The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 01-18-2024, 05:10 PM   #1
NeonTurtledude
Hench Mutant

are you moderately or chronically online

Last Year, while talking with an old high school friend, I realized that I had spent most of my teens being a bit of a shut-in and that I was spending an unhealthy amount of time online, but starting university helped me get social and outside more.

But as I reflect on those times, it got me thinking about how important a healthy offline/online balance is and how spending too much time
in online echo chambers can affect mental health.

is your online time, all day every day or more moderate?

would you say you're in a similar position,
or do you spend more time outdoors or IRL

is there any non-fandom activities you enjoy that keep you "grounded" and relaxed?
NeonTurtledude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 05:15 PM   #2
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

While I do log here frequently, its in quick 1-2 minute bursts and always on a phone while I'm on the go.

I think online time regularly is not bad per se, but there has to be much more time outside and with real people.

Last edited by FredWolfLeonardo; 01-18-2024 at 05:21 PM.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 05:22 PM   #3
NeonTurtledude
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
While I do log here frequently, its in quick 1-2 minute bursts and always on a phone while I'm on the go.

I think online time regularly is not bad per se, but there has to be actual time outside and with real people.
yeah, the downside was that for a lot of my life, I did not spend time outside, If I did I was shopping with mum, seeing movies or attending school, I didn't have many friends as a teenager and when I did see them outside of school, it wasn't often

which resulted in most of my friends being online, that and my autism

I was basically what the Japanese call a "hikkimori"

it got quite bad last year when I had delusions about a character I liked, which showed that I wasn't spending enough time in reality

I'm working on recovery though.
NeonTurtledude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 05:34 PM   #4
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

In a strange way, I think phones can actually help out with tech addiction since you can use them outside instead of being confined to a computer at home.

I can't see myself using this forum on a home computer which I don't even use since I use a computer at work and I don't want the same thing to occupy my free time.

Glad to hear you are recovering, keep up th3 good work.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 11:29 PM   #5
KROW
Meat-n-Potatoes Man

I'd like to say I skirt the line between chronic and moderate, but when I'm not using my phone to check my email, the weather, playing a couple games, and seeing what my friends are up to on Facebook, I've got apps going on my TV like YouTube, Netflix, and Disney+. As for when I'm logging on here, I use an old laptop that I leave running with videos while I sleep.

But I do go outside, too. From time to time. It does happen.

- Optimus Acid Trip - Cult of a Half-Shell - Raiden's Bitter Tongue -
I don't try to be funny; I fail at it naturally.
KROW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 12:21 PM   #6
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Admittedly, much of my free time is spent in front of a desktop PC.

It does make me appreciate that my job is physically active and performed around the general pubic so it does get me away from the computer, internet, getting a little exercise and interacting with a few people here and there. Unreachable dream job aside, I honestly don't think I'd want a desk job and just find myself sitting around at a computer all day and then I'd just do the same at home. I'd probably die inside.

We used to have a decent backyard and deck I had enjoyed and would make myself get outside sometimes, particularly in the summer when we'd have our mass number of potted plants on the deck which provided some privacy and made it a nice place to just relax. But unfortunately that is no more and sometimes I do feel the stress and confinement of no longer having that. I badly miss having a bit of private green space away from neighboring eyes (from the angle of their deck -- which that house didn't used to have -- near the back privacy fence that can see right over it) and their horde of obnoxious dogs that will never let anyone enjoy their own yard in peace. Esp since what's left of the yard is that far end near that fence...

So... I've pretty much been driven inside full time on my off days/hours and, as a non-parent, the computer is the best form of spending that time anymore.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 01-19-2024 at 12:26 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote