The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Toys and Collectibles

Notices

Old 08-08-2013, 12:15 AM   #61
Leo656
The Franchise

I started collecting with Power of the Force figures, went really nuts around the time Episode I came out up until about a year later, and after that was only sporadically into it through Episodes II and III. At that point, I was collecting several toy lines at once while starting to make less and less money at work, so something had to give. I mostly focused on figures, although I did pick up a Millennium Falcon in 1999 or 2000, and collected several of the battery-powered toy lightsabers. Those things were so bad-ass until those movie replica ones started being made; by then I couldn't get one because I had to more or less stop collecting everything due to lack of funds.

I was never really hard-core, though. With lines I collect, I mostly focus on main characters in their most familiar or iconic looks, then branch out into secondary characters, variants, and more obscure or "background" characters if I can afford it and/or feel it's justified. Since I know getting everything is impossible, I try to, at best, get one of everyone "important". Star Wars became really frustrating for me, though, because between PotF and the time Episode I had been out for a year, I had many of the main characters and figured the "hard part" was over. But then they started releasing newer, better sculpts of those figures that fit in better with the Episodes I-III lines, and I felt like I'd wasted 5 years and tons of money, so I sort of just quit rather than spend a fortune collecting "better" figures of characters I already had.

It was a crazy time in my life; some paychecks, toys had more priority than food, and looking back, that's pretty silly. Although, I did have a lot more fun in general than I do now, so maybe it's since I've "matured" that I've lost perspective and been living wrong, I don't know. Due to financial reasons, I don't collect any toy lines consistently, anymore, just random things that catch my eye. I haven't bought a Star Wars toy in years. Kinda makes me sad. I used to have shelves covered in the damn things.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 02:12 PM   #62
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulithe View Post
So, who has some of the new black series figs? Anyone got the SDCC Boba Fett?

What are your impressions of the 6" line so far?
Pixaldan does. And they look pretty cool. My cases still aren't in
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:32 AM   #63
Walkabout
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I started collecting with Power of the Force figures, went really nuts around the time Episode I came out up until about a year later, and after that was only sporadically into it through Episodes II and III. At that point, I was collecting several toy lines at once while starting to make less and less money at work, so something had to give. I mostly focused on figures, although I did pick up a Millennium Falcon in 1999 or 2000, and collected several of the battery-powered toy lightsabers. Those things were so bad-ass until those movie replica ones started being made; by then I couldn't get one because I had to more or less stop collecting everything due to lack of funds.

I was never really hard-core, though. With lines I collect, I mostly focus on main characters in their most familiar or iconic looks, then branch out into secondary characters, variants, and more obscure or "background" characters if I can afford it and/or feel it's justified. Since I know getting everything is impossible, I try to, at best, get one of everyone "important". Star Wars became really frustrating for me, though, because between PotF and the time Episode I had been out for a year, I had many of the main characters and figured the "hard part" was over. But then they started releasing newer, better sculpts of those figures that fit in better with the Episodes I-III lines, and I felt like I'd wasted 5 years and tons of money, so I sort of just quit rather than spend a fortune collecting "better" figures of characters I already had.

It was a crazy time in my life; some paychecks, toys had more priority than food, and looking back, that's pretty silly. Although, I did have a lot more fun in general than I do now, so maybe it's since I've "matured" that I've lost perspective and been living wrong, I don't know. Due to financial reasons, I don't collect any toy lines consistently, anymore, just random things that catch my eye. I haven't bought a Star Wars toy in years. Kinda makes me sad. I used to have shelves covered in the damn things.
I hear ya man
Walkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:13 AM   #64
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

Ordered all 4 Black 6" wave 1 figs on amazon. They restocked this morning. I was thinking about waiting and hoping they mark them down a bit, but every time I check they are sold out so screw it, i'll pay full price for this wave, then see if they mark them down over the next few weeks and see what the stock is like. If I see significant discounting, I'll remember that for wave 2.

Speaking of wave 2...

I lamented on getting these, as my Star Wars fandom has definitely waned over the years, but I am a sucker for 6 inch figures. If I end up not caring for wave 1 so much, I'm still getting Boba and Han no matter what. Slave Leia will have its fans but I'm just rolling my eyes :p
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:18 AM   #65
LincolnHawk
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Ordered all 4 Black 6" wave 1 figs on amazon. They restocked this morning. I was thinking about waiting and hoping they mark them down a bit, but every time I check they are sold out so screw it, i'll pay full price for this wave, then see if they mark them down over the next few weeks and see what the stock is like. If I see significant discounting, I'll remember that for wave 2.

Speaking of wave 2...

I lamented on getting these, as my Star Wars fandom has definitely waned over the years, but I am a sucker for 6 inch figures. If I end up not caring for wave 1 so much, I'm still getting Boba and Han no matter what. Slave Leia will have its fans but I'm just rolling my eyes :p
Yeah, me too...I ordered them a few days ago and amazon said they would notify me when the shipped. I figured it would be awhile before they got some more in, but I was surprised this morning to find that they had shipped out today. I ordered darth maul, but I accidentally ordered 2 so I guess I'll be opening one and keeping the other. I don't normally collect Star Wars figures, but these figures look too nice to pass on. Cant wait for Bobba and Leia.
LincolnHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:36 PM   #66
snake
Disgusting

Quote:

Speaking of wave 2...

Is anyone weirded out that we haven't gotten a 6" Vader yet?
Old 08-15-2013, 02:37 PM   #67
ObiWanFan4life
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeweed101 View Post
Is anyone weirded out that we haven't gotten a 6" Vader yet?
Perplexed: Yes
Weirded out: Hardly
Old 08-15-2013, 02:39 PM   #68
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiWanFan4life View Post
Perplexed: Yes
Weirded out: Hardly
I am, we usually get him in the first 3 waves of a SW line.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:53 PM   #69
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

Vader better be in wave 3...

with removable helmet or a head-swap that has the "luke in vader helmet" from ESB :p

Okay Disney... you got me... keep pumping out 6" figs and i'll stick around a while.

There are so many characters I would buy... and rebuy (I really want Jedi Knight Luke from RotJ)
Old 08-16-2013, 09:43 PM   #70
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
Vader better be in wave 3...

with removable helmet or a head-swap that has the "luke in vader helmet" from ESB :p

Okay Disney... you got me... keep pumping out 6" figs and i'll stick around a while.

There are so many characters I would buy... and rebuy (I really want Jedi Knight Luke from RotJ)
Figures I hope we see
1- Luke ANH clothes
2- Liea ANH
3- Darth Vader
4- Mace Windu
5- no Expanded universe stuff until these covered all 6 movies
Old 08-16-2013, 09:57 PM   #71
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

Well, got my four wave 1 figs. Really happy with them! I don't normally care for troopers but the sand trooper is definitely the coolest. But they're all great IMO. I just hope they don't flood this line with lots of troopers instead of doing more important characters.

figs I either want or think will come soon:

C-3PO - They can't have R2 and not make him as well. He'll need to be in all vac gold metal of course!

Lando

Vader (of course)

Yoda -- yeah he'd be small (like R2) but it still needs to happen. Maybe they could include some cool stuff with him, other than walking stick and lightsaber. His Jedi Council chair?

Palpatine (RotS version)

Obi-Wan (any version, but I'd like RotS the most)

Qui-Gon

Mace Windu
Old 08-16-2013, 10:31 PM   #72
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
Well, got my four wave 1 figs. Really happy with them! I don't normally care for troopers but the sand trooper is definitely the coolest. But they're all great IMO. I just hope they don't flood this line with lots of troopers instead of doing more important characters.

figs I either want or think will come soon:

C-3PO - They can't have R2 and not make him as well. He'll need to be in all vac gold metal of course!

Lando

Vader (of course)

Yoda -- yeah he'd be small (like R2) but it still needs to happen. Maybe they could include some cool stuff with him, other than walking stick and lightsaber. His Jedi Council chair?

Palpatine (RotS version)

Obi-Wan (any version, but I'd like RotS the most)

Qui-Gon

Mace Windu
Nice! And about the trooper clogging thing, in the wave 2 for the 3" black series it has 5 different clones
Old 08-17-2013, 02:19 AM   #73
snake
Disgusting

Sorry about the double post, but imagine what a Black Series Rancor would be like. (Besides expensive as @$%#.)
Old 08-17-2013, 07:43 AM   #74
raph27
Mad Scientist

I'm not a big SW fan but I might have to get Leia.
raph27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:37 PM   #75
Lemcool
Mouser

I'm a huge Star Wars fan, with the kind of collection where you'd think there is something mentally wrong with me. Next month, I'm going to start offloading some original ('88-'92) carded turtles and will be in the market for trading for vintage Star Wars stuff. Looking forward to revisiting this thread again when I take that step.
Lemcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:54 PM   #76
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemcool View Post
I'm a huge Star Wars fan, with the kind of collection where you'd think there is something mentally wrong with me. Next month, I'm going to start offloading some original ('88-'92) carded turtles and will be in the market for trading for vintage Star Wars stuff. Looking forward to revisiting this thread again when I take that step.
Welcome! And are you planning on getting any of the new Black series figures?
Old 08-19-2013, 08:17 PM   #77
Lemcool
Mouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeweed101 View Post
Welcome! And are you planning on getting any of the new Black series figures?
No, only 1985 and older for me. Since I live in Kenner country (Cincinnati), I keep plenty busy trying to track down old factory workers. It's basically like treasure hunting. Last week I picked up a speeder bike pedal car in the Kmart promotional shipping box from 1983, a Kenner Toyfair employee award, 15 Kenner catalogues, 3 sealed multi-pack villain mailers, 3 sealed Max Rebo bands, and a Jawa Sandcrawler in the box. I doubt I will ever buy any new items again with all the incredible old stuff!
Lemcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:21 PM   #78
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemcool View Post
No, only 1985 and older for me. Since I live in Kenner country (Cincinnati), I keep plenty busy trying to track down old factory workers. It's basically like treasure hunting. Last week I picked up a speeder bike pedal car in the Kmart promotional shipping box from 1983, a Kenner Toyfair employee award, 15 Kenner catalogues, 3 sealed multi-pack villain mailers, 3 sealed Max Rebo bands, and a Jawa Sandcrawler in the box. I doubt I will ever buy any new items again with all the incredible old stuff!
Awesome! I'd love to have a sealed Max Rebo band
Old 08-27-2013, 02:45 PM   #79
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

amazon has black series 2 for pre-order now. both sizes/lines.

I ordered all 4 6" figures, they are 22.99 right now but they SHOULD drop the price down to 19.99 before release. we'll see

if you are into the smaller figures they are there too. just search.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:51 PM   #80
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
amazon has black series 2 for pre-order now. both sizes/lines.

I ordered all 4 6" figures, they are 22.99 right now but they SHOULD drop the price down to 19.99 before release. we'll see

if you are into the smaller figures they are there too. just search.
I haven't even got my first four yet. Diamond put a delay on the case.