The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 10-27-2018, 01:08 AM   #41
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

watched the first 2 episodes they were good.

though Episode one could have gone without the usual Berlanti trope of Men are evil bullies we need to make a club to empower women the typical CW Bullcrap. Other than that I hope this show gets better

Last edited by Autbot_Benz; 10-27-2018 at 01:16 AM.
Autbot_Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 01:36 AM   #42
Shark_Blade
Emperor

I’m already on Episode 10, it’s that good.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 12:51 PM   #43
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I saw an SJW post this on my feed today:

"1990's Sabrina vs 2018 Sabrina

1990's: Age appropriate. Meaning; not sexually exploitive of child characters. Sabrina digs Harvey but she doesn't make him the center of her world (even in her high key obsession phase). Celebrates witches.

2018: Any chance to strip 15 & 16 year old Sabrina of her clothes is taken to an extreme, other child characters are depicted in a sexually exploitative way. Harvey is her Edward. "Harvey. Harvey. Harvey. Harvey." If you played a drinking game based on her prioritizing Harvey above all else, you will die of alcohol poisoning. Satanic Panic.

I was really excited for the new series.

I knew it would have a moronic "satanic panic" stigma to it since it's based on the dark edgy "we don't actually know anything about satanism" graphic novel, (which I loved though I found it nonsensical) but the rest? It is not necessary to sexualise child characters. Can that status quo and those who keep pushing it just **** off already? I sit there wondering, why the **** would an adult want to depict that.

I vented to a friend and I am reminded, it's an Open Secret.

Maybe we should start asking these adults, "Why exactly are you doing this?"

#stopexploitingchildcharacters #whatkindofadultfeelstheneedtocreatethiskindofimag ery
#just****ingstop #opensecret"
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 04:29 PM   #44
Shark_Blade
Emperor

She’s 18, people can stop being such wuss & whiny complainers.

I’ve finished the series and already on my 2nd time binging the series again.

Pros
- lovely visuals, dark feel yet still have several funny moments
- amazing acting. I love Aunt Hilda & Zelda (Etta Candy from Wonder Woman & Eowyn from Lord of the Rings wow)
- diverse cast and theme (there’s feminism, bullying, religion, etc)
- ballsy of them to put satanism right in the centre of the witch theme. Good that it is faithful to the comics yet to see it on tv where these witches and warlocks hail and praise satan constantly did made me a bit unease. It’s a good reminder that’s what truly witches do, they worship satan. None of other witches stories like Harry Potter or wizard of oz brought this to light, rather they silently or not mentioning it at all.
- tight narrative. Because the story revolves only on 1 girl, it’s a lot more focused compared to Riverdale which goes all over the place and feeling like a speeding train wreck at times.

Cons
- the blurry effect kinda annoys me in some early scenes. I guess it’s to depict that was witch world vs the real normal world. I prefer no effect at all.
- the old soundtrack that plays during the Halloween dance party sucks, I expect a more hip and lively song

A 9/10 series. Incredible, I might prefer this a bit more than Riverdale I reckon.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 07:28 PM   #45
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I watched the first episode. She is clearly 15, about to turn 16.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 07:44 PM   #46
Leo656
The Franchise

I think he means Kiernan Shipka is 18. Thus, it's technically "okay" to show her in a state of under-dress. Although if the character is supposed to be 15-16, that's still kind of eyebrow-raising.

I didn't see it, so I wouldn't know how it was presented. That's definitely an odd choice to commit to, though.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 08:35 PM   #47
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
- ballsy of them to put satanism right in the centre of the witch theme. Good that it is faithful to the comics yet to see it on tv where these witches and warlocks hail and praise satan constantly did made me a bit unease. It’s a good reminder that’s what truly witches do, they worship satan. None of other witches stories like Harry Potter or wizard of oz brought this to light, rather they silently or not mentioning it at all.

NO. Just f***ing NO. REAL witches do NOT worship Satan, or even recognize or believe in the existence of such an entity. WE are a NATURE-BASED religion, which has NOTHING to do with Satanism or Satanic rites/beliefs! Just STOP! This ridiculous falsehood has followed us pagans and Wiccans around as a stigma for generations, and it is mainly due to uninformed ignorant crap like this. TRUE witchcraft reveres nature and spirit, the cycles of life, death, and rebirth, and the duality of Goddess/God as both forces of nature and as actual deities. We do NOT call on, follow, or even acknowledge Satan, the devil, or any other CHRISTIAN depiction of such a being!

The reason such BS was left out of Harry Potter, Buffy (Willow was a witch!) and Charmed (to name a few) is because TRUE witches have nothing to do with that crap. It is a myth created by the Church back in the Middle Ages to discredit/persecute followers of pagan religions, and is the reason for what us Wiccans/witches call "the Burning Times". But it is based on false religious propaganda meant to scare folks into abandoning their old cultural faiths in favor of the "One True" religion. Because they needed someone to villainize/demonize, and needed more followers to flock to their services, so the Church could gain power and wealth in the lands they moved into. Please learn some history before blythely equating a made-up show's version of witches to the reality of MY faith. It is insulting and flat out untrue.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 08:44 PM   #48
Leo656
The Franchise

Ahhhhhh, there it is. Right on schedule!

^^^Duckie's post.

Old 10-27-2018, 08:48 PM   #49
Prowler
Emperor

The Rock? This makes you look like a fan of him. I'm not gonna forget this one. Leo!
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 09:07 PM   #50
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
So.... Am I supposed to be the one DOING the smacking? I do hope that was what you meant there, elsewise I might have to do a bit MORE of it....

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 09:12 PM   #51
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
NO. Just f***ing NO. REAL witches do NOT worship Satan, or even recognize or believe in the existence of such an entity. WE are a NATURE-BASED religion, which has NOTHING to do with Satanism or Satanic rites/beliefs! Just STOP! This ridiculous falsehood has followed us pagans and Wiccans around as a stigma for generations, and it is mainly due to uninformed ignorant crap like this. TRUE witchcraft reveres nature and spirit, the cycles of life, death, and rebirth, and the duality of Goddess/God as both forces of nature and as actual deities. We do NOT call on, follow, or even acknowledge Satan, the devil, or any other CHRISTIAN depiction of such a being!
Well that's a bummer. Do you at least float like a duck when placed in water? Or what about magic, can you do any magic? /s

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 09:20 PM   #52
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
The Rock? This makes you look like a fan of him. I'm not gonna forget this one. Leo!
It's entirely not my fault that he's terrible at chairshots - as in, SAFE chairshots - and so in turn, he has the most brutal-looking ones of all time. They ought'a call him Captain Concussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
So.... Am I supposed to be the one DOING the smacking? I do hope that was what you meant there, elsewise I might have to do a bit MORE of it....
That was the implication, yes. I assumed that was clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleTitan97 View Post
Well that's a bummer. Do you at least float like a duck when placed in water?
Duh, they're made of wood.

Old 10-27-2018, 09:21 PM   #53
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
It's entirely not my fault that he's terrible at chairshots - as in, SAFE chairshots - and so in turn, he has the most brutal-looking ones of all time. They ought'a call him Captain Concussion.

Apparently Foley got pissed at him for doing that at Royal Rumble 1999.
Old 10-27-2018, 09:32 PM   #54
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Is this in continuity with Riverdale? What's the target audience? Tweens/teen crowd?
I'm a bit interested but I definitely think it's not meant for me.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 09:39 PM   #55
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Apparently Foley got pissed at him for doing that at Royal Rumble 1999.
Well, he gave him about 87 live rounds to the head and face, and didn't even bother to apologize until he was confronted many months later. I'd be pissed, too.

Old 10-27-2018, 09:39 PM   #56
Prowler
Emperor

Sabrina the Teenage Witch was a show I used to watch regularly when I was a kid. It was funny and lighthearted. Salem,the black cat, was my favourite character.

Kinda surprised they revived it and are making it into a more serious show.I guess that's not necessarily a bad thing, since people are getting tired of constant remakes and this at least might give the property a fresh new start.
Old 10-27-2018, 09:41 PM   #57
Leo656
The Franchise

Yeah, my wife used to love that show, so we watched it a lot. It's okay. Lotta T&A on there, so it suits me fine.

This new one is apparently based on a "dark and gritty" reboot of the comic book.

I find the entire premise of a "Dark Universe" based on ARCHIE of all things to be completely hilarious, but apparently people like it. Whatever, man.

Old 10-27-2018, 09:42 PM   #58
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Is this in continuity with Riverdale?

There's been no indication of that so far. Though the town of Riverdale is mentioned by one of the characters.

Quote:
Sabrina the Teenage Witch was a show I used to watch regularly when I was a kid. It was funny and lighthearted. Salem,the black cat, was my favourite character.

Kinda surprised they revived it and are making it into a more serious show.I guess that's not necessarily a bad thing, since people are getting tired of constant remakes and this at least might give the property a fresh new start.
That's because this series isn't intended as a reboot of the 90's show. It's loosely based off the Archie horror comic of the same name (Which is totally awesome BTW, I'd highly recommend it along with Afterlife with Archie): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chilli...res_of_Sabrina

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 09:43 PM   #59
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Yeah, my wife used to love that show, so we watched it a lot. It's okay. Lotta T&A on there, so it suits me fine.

This new one is apparently based on a "dark and gritty" reboot of the comic book.

I find the entire premise of a "Dark Universe" based on ARCHIE of all things to be completely hilarious, but apparently people like it. Whatever, man.
I think at the time I was watching Sabrina I hadn't reached hit puberty yet, so can't say that was what drew me into the show.

Apparently there was also a cartoon series, but I don't think it aired here.
Old 10-27-2018, 09:49 PM   #60
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
I think at the time I was watching Sabrina I hadn't reached hit puberty yet, so can't say that was what drew me into the show.

Apparently there was also a cartoon series, but I don't think it aired here.
Yeah, Melissa Joan Hart did some of the voice work for that, I think. I never saw it.

The original show had cleavage everywhere, so that's what kept ME watching. Beth Broderick, in particular, has always found it very important to let people know, "I'm pretty hot for an older broad."

It had its moments, but the show's continuity was a mess. Tons of characters and storylines just dropped for no reason. Got annoying after a while.