The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 07-11-2023, 01:15 PM   #1
Powder
So tired of this place

Godzilla Minus One

New Japanese Godzilla flick coming out this December. Takes place following WW2, but in the same continuity as 2016's Shin Godzilla, making this a prequel of sorts. Just a teaser for now.

The design seems to be an amalgamation of Legendary's 2014, & Toho's Heisei era suit, with '99's dorsal fins & some Shin-like details. More or less the same as the Godzilla The Ride design.

I'm very excited for it. I am a huge fan of Shin Godzilla, so I love that this will take place in the same timeline. The fact it is a period piece should prove interesting as well. Not much to go on at this point, but it's something to look forward to!

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 01:38 PM   #2
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Fascinating! Is this the first true "prequel" we've ever gotten in the film series?

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 02:25 PM   #3
Dpooly84
Banned

I'm in, let's go baby
Dpooly84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 05:11 PM   #4
IMJ
Emperor

In!
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 05:32 PM   #5
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Had anybody seen kaijus before in Shin Godzilla? If not, how is this supposed to be a prequel?
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 08:49 PM   #6
Allio
Foot Elite

Last I heard it’s not connected.
Old 07-12-2023, 07:47 AM   #7
ZariusTwo
Overlord

They should play this directly after an Oppenheimer matinée
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 12:01 PM   #8
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
They should play this directly after an Oppenheimer matinée
HAHAHAA
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 10:20 AM   #9
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
New Japanese Godzilla flick coming out this December. Takes place following WW2, but in the same continuity as 2016's Shin Godzilla, making this a prequel of sorts. Just a teaser for now.

The design seems to be an amalgamation of Legendary's 2014, & Toho's Heisei era suit, with '99's dorsal fins & some Shin-like details. More or less the same as the Godzilla The Ride design.

https://wikizilla.org/w/images/1/1c/...9-1181x181.jpg

I'm very excited for it. I am a huge fan of Shin Godzilla, so I love that this will take place in the same timeline. The fact it is a period piece should prove interesting as well. Not much to go on at this point, but it's something to look forward to!
I am so here for this

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
HAHAHAA
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 04:58 PM   #10
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Doesn't sound or look like it will, in fact, be any kind of prequel or sequel to Shin Godzilla.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/pop-cult...logy-explained

It's just its own thing, a new reboot that semi-adapts things from the original Godzilla movie.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 05:58 PM   #11
Allio
Foot Elite

Gonna see the movie next Tuesday.
Old 11-28-2023, 02:37 PM   #12
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Doesn't sound or look like it will, in fact, be any kind of prequel or sequel to Shin Godzilla.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/pop-cult...logy-explained

It's just its own thing, a new reboot that semi-adapts things from the original Godzilla movie.
Yeah it's not, I don't know how that rumor got started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allio View Post
Gonna see the movie next Tuesday.
I'm hoping to go either tomorrow night or this weekend, seeing it in IMAX
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 03:30 PM   #13
TheCanadiandrome
Big, Bad & Bold

Location: Inside the Technodrome; Shredderville; Saskatchewan
Doesn’t seem to be playing near me, so I’ll likely just get it digitally

Add me: PSN/XBL; Nintendo Network ID: BDS-3.1.6; Switch FC: SW-3378-5206-8020

TMNT Fan Club: http://sot.ag/4jZR0

Visit My Wish List:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=30904

My Collection:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=40276
TheCanadiandrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 03:51 PM   #14
Allio
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
Yeah it's not, I don't know how that rumor got started.
Only time that “Shin Godzilla connection” ever came up was the initial “G” poster showing it in similar writing to Shin’s writing. Also I guess people are hoping more out of the Shin-thology.
Old 12-07-2023, 01:16 AM   #15
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

Just saw it today.

This...this movie was amazing! You actually care about the human characters, AND GODZILLA FELT LIKE AREAL THREAT. I can't believe what they accomplished with their tiny budget. This movie really captured the trauma and horror of postwar japan, as well as the original Gojira. The way the main characters dealt with his PTSD from the war, the messages of grief and loss and moving on after a terrible tragedy, just.... beautiful! If you are a Godzilla fan... GO SEE THIS THING!

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 10:53 AM   #16
sdp
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan View Post
Just saw it today.

This...this movie was amazing! You actually care about the human characters, AND GODZILLA FELT LIKE AREAL THREAT. I can't believe what they accomplished with their tiny budget. This movie really captured the trauma and horror of postwar japan, as well as the original Gojira. The way the main characters dealt with his PTSD from the war, the messages of grief and loss and moving on after a terrible tragedy, just.... beautiful! If you are a Godzilla fan... GO SEE THIS THING!
How does it compare to Shin? I loved shin because godzilla felt like a real threat and how humans would react to it. To me Shin did everything right that 2014 wasn't able to do.
I have to wait 2 more weeks before I can watch, I want it to be good but I can't see how it could top Shin in that regard.

I mean I don't expect minus one to be shin, but the obvious comparisons are going to arise counting the last japanese movie was also a realistic/scary take on Godzilla. I really want to love it without comparing it but I find it it's going to be difficult, especially with all the praise the movie is getting that Shin didn't. I wonder if it's just a more casual friendly version of Shin.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2023, 12:27 PM   #17
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
How does it compare to Shin? I loved shin because godzilla felt like a real threat and how humans would react to it. To me Shin did everything right that 2014 wasn't able to do.
I have to wait 2 more weeks before I can watch, I want it to be good but I can't see how it could top Shin in that regard.

I mean I don't expect minus one to be shin, but the obvious comparisons are going to arise counting the last japanese movie was also a realistic/scary take on Godzilla. I really want to love it without comparing it but I find it it's going to be difficult, especially with all the praise the movie is getting that Shin didn't. I wonder if it's just a more casual friendly version of Shin.
Not to put shin down, but story-wise with the human characters, this blows Shin clean out of the water. This is the first Godzilla movie I have seen that made you care more about the human characters, and hate Godzilla for what he was doing to them. Normally, you go into a godzilla film rooting for the monster, and hoping the human parts will be over quickly. Here, the human parts are integral to the story, and you care more about the human characters than you do the monster. The whole audience in the showing I was in teared up by the end of the film, and everyone cheered when that f$#!-ing daikaiju got taken out, near Jaws-style!

I will say the godzilla sequences in Shin are superior,and very realistic to what a modern monster attack would look like. But overall presentation goes to this film. In short, Shin is the far better monster movie over minus one, while minus one is the far better overall FILM. There is a reason for all this praise, this movie is almost like a perfect remake of the original Gojira, and the director says he wants to do a sequel, and international box office and reception might just get us a sequel! When you get the chance, go see this!

(Anyone wants spoilers, please PM me.)

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 07:51 PM   #18
Allio
Foot Elite

Don’t know if anyone is playing it, but there is a game called Gigabash that is a spiritual successor to the Godzilla destroy all monsters games, and in it they have had DLC packs bringing in both Godzilla and Ultraman characters.

And it seems they are already teasing another Godzilla DLC with Minus One Godzilla and Monsterverse stuff.
Old 12-09-2023, 05:32 AM   #19
Xav
Foot Elite

Haven't played it but got it for free on the Epic Games store.
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 08:46 PM   #20
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

You know, none of the Godzilla films have ever addressed the terrible war crimes that Japan committed during WW2. The director of the first Godzilla film, Ishiro Honda, served in the war and was put in charge of a comfort station. In case you don’t know what that is, it was a brothel for captured women from occupied territories with whom the Japanese soldiers would have s*x daily. Ishiro wrote about that experience and from what he described, it was absolutely horrible. The youngest girls in these brothels were only fourteen.

Godzilla was conceived as the symbol of America’s nuclear power and the fears of the Japanese people at the time since they were still recovering from the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. I haven’t seen Godzilla Minus One, but from what I’ve heard, it’s even more anti-war than the 1954 Godzilla and also critiques Japan’s collectivist mentality with the emphasis on the individual’s will to live.

Regardless of how popular this film is right now and all the praise that it’s getting, especially from American audiences, I think I’m gonna give it a pass and watch Godzilla X Kong instead. I’m a sucker for hero Godzilla, always have been. I like the idea of Godzilla protecting the Earth from alien invaders, ancient evils and man-made abominations. Even Ishiro himself stopped making doom-and-gloom films about a mindless destructive monster bent on destroying Japan and slowly turned Godzilla into a sentient protector. Sure, part of it was so that he could keep up with the evolving audience that craved for more light-hearted action, but Godzilla becoming a hero could be interpreted as a sort of symbolism for Japan overcoming their fear of nuclear energy and even using it not for malicious purposes but for good. In a way, Showa Godzilla post-1964 (the year “Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster” was released) represented a healing Japan that sought a more peaceful relationship with the rest of the world. Ishiro expressed his desire for a peaceful world in the futuristic setting of “Destroy All Monsters”. Is the Showa series incredibly goofy and even poorly made? Yes, but so what? It’s got it’s own charm that can withstand the test of time.

Minus One might have compelling human characters, but I don’t watch Godzilla movies for the humans; I watch them for the monsters. In fact, I always skip over the human parts and straight to the kaiju parts, and the more human-like the monsters are, like Showa, Heisei, and Legendary Godzilla are, the more interesting the film is. If you took Godzilla out of Minus One, people would still be moved by the film and say that it’s better than Wish or The Marvels or whatever America is producing nowadays, which is sad but true. But I don’t want to watch another film about a mindless Godzilla stomping on Tokyo and being destroyed (not even permanently) by the humans. That’s just not for me. Sorry.

Last edited by Cowabung-Gal; 12-12-2023 at 09:14 PM.
Cowabung-Gal is online now   Reply With Quote