The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion > Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 03-16-2017, 01:23 PM   #1
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

2016 Lair still standing or no? Thoughts?

Serious question. And I'm largely curious because I very much want a prop (or one of certain props) from it after the company making the replica of Leo's katana up and canceled without any notice whatsoever after waiting patiently on pre-order for nearly a year.
Spoiler:
If you missed my complaint about that in mid-February in the Gear Grind thread... the only way I even found out about the cancellation was by asking them about it myself via Facebook. The pre-order finally vanished this month, still with zero email notice or anything. They really aught to work on their customer service...

So after that very disappointing cancellation, I'm wondering how long it could even be before props from this film even turn up. (Or for that matter how to track down what I want or find the right contact that can. I've joined a great prop collecting FB group and spoken with someone there, though still wish I had a rough idea of how long it may be before props turn up. So afraid of just completely missing it and having big collectors just dash in and grab things up, leaving little me without a chance in hell.)

THAT SAID, I'm curious if the lair is still standing intact, perhaps with everything still in place, or if they'd have dismantled (or started to) the thing by now. Even if they've already stated that a 3rd film is probably not happening, given the work that went into making the lair set, might they leave it standing for a while on the off chance they DID turn around and want/need to use it again? I could see dismantling it into reusable pieces, but at the same time this production info write up I found two days ago suggests they actually used concrete; plus you have the whole set up with the water feature.

http://www.cinemart.cz/wp-content/up...tes_FINAL.docx (If, like me, you can't open the file it offers or don't want to, here's Google's cache version.) I don't remember seeing this before and there's some other interesting pieces in there.

Quote:
Both the lair and Turtle truck were built in the historic Brooklyn Armory in Park Slope, Brooklyn. The building, which housed the 14th regiment of the New York Militia, was originally erected in 1893, and has housed several different divisions of the US Army throughout the years while also being utilized as stage space.

Construction coordinator Ken Nelson and his crew had 14 weeks to complete the lair. They began by preparing the space with layout lines on the floor to distinguish the dimensions of each specific build. Next, it was key grip Tommy Prate's turn to fly a massive lighting grid 52 feet in the air above the build space before Nelson could install the different levels of decking that would comprise the lair floor, along with the unusual addition of a moat.

"On this particular set we used concrete, which served dual purposes," says Nelson. "It looks like the sewer system in New York and it's very solid. We wanted to leave ourselves open for any type of crane to be used on set, so structurally the floor had to sound and meet certain weight requirements. The floor, along with the walls and tunnels, had great texture that allowed for great play with shadow and light so that the lair looked like it went on forever."
So - opinion and criticism fueled yeses aside - is it worth it to be too hasty on tearing all that down? Is this Brooklyn Armory even a place where it could be left standing for a while? I've tried to find more info on the use of that place as stage/set space, but came up empty (other than mentions of prior films).

Probably has zero bearing on this one, but I'd also come across this image (two days ago) that appears to be the take down of the previous lair. IF it was posted by someone involved and image posted during it's deconstruction, then that might have been mid July 2015 and not until the second had started filming.
Spoiler:
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 08:03 PM   #2
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 08:54 PM   #3
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Figured I could count on an inconsequential response.

Where are the so-called plants with insider info when they'd actually be useful.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:05 PM   #4
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Figured I could count on an inconsequential response.

Where are the so-called plants with insider info when they'd actually be useful.
they've moved on t the next forum/movie to divide and conquer with discord and wrecking/splitting the fanbase.

. turtles is long forgotten about
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 02:49 AM   #5
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

I would have thought they would strike the set after production, but if what you're saying about the previous lair is true, then I guess there's a chance it's still there. Perhaps it will be until another show needs the space?

I have no idea, but it's interesting.
Old 03-18-2017, 06:32 PM   #6
The Boston Ninja Turtle
Mad Scientist

i feel like movies like this where there is so much CGI most of the sents follow the CGI too so props are very very minimal...which actually kinda urks me about this movies

also where no props where really all the significant theres nothing that would stand it

just compare the new power rangers to turtles...you can go to comic con and see the new ranger suits..you can youch them...for the turtles we have nothing but gray CGI pjs

https://www.facebook.com/TheBostonNinjaTurtle
The Boston Ninja Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 08:06 AM   #7
Metalwolf
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post

So - opinion and criticism fueled yeses aside - is it worth it to be too hasty on tearing all that down? Is this Brooklyn Armory even a place where it could be left standing for a while? I've tried to find more info on the use of that place as stage/set space, but came up empty (other than mentions of prior films).

Depends on how soon they need the space. Are you looking to buy the entire concrete set? I think it might be worth it to try and contact them directly as soon possible (just in case) before they do anything- they might have more info on what they or the production people might be doing with it. Worse case scenario is that they might either not respond or give a canned answer, best case is that they might say they are holding on to it for a while or that they will tell you what you need to do to buy it.
Metalwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 01:14 PM   #8
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

lol Noooo...

Maybe if I was ridiculously rich and the owner of Universal Studios or building my own theme park and wanted to relocate the lair for a walk through attraction (which I wish they'd do). (And maybe recreate a couple of the others as well.) But sadly, no. Not in this lifetime. I'm looking at just one piece for maybe around the cost of what I was going to spend on the canceled replica. Cheaper would be nice, but I'd be willing to pay a little more as well.

Mostly I was wondering if the set is still standing in reference to whether or not the props are still sitting there untouched or have been removed and sitting in a pile somewhere in storage.

I've actually had a weirdly hard time finding any appropriate contact options...

I guess when you're an insider person who has need to contact these companies for business reasons they already have their own appropriate channels to go through and doesn't need to be available to the general public.

Although I DID try one 'info@' email I found yesterday, for a Bay company, found though Bay's self-named website. (PD has no site of its own? Weird.) And yes, to all others who aren't fans of this man, that was indeed kind of a bitter pill right there, but if the stuff is still sitting, then at best guess it may be the company that made the film that would still have ownership of it all?

It would be nice if someone on the other end has or could get any input on it (or forward it to someone else), but I'm not keeping any expectation of hearing much of a response, if at all. Doesn't hurt to ask though, I guess.

IF at most it could get someone moving on unloading the props so resellers with the right contacts to get the stuff can do their middle man job... that would be good too. (Although my best scenario would just be finding the right person who could legally offer to run in and grab what I want in exchange for a handful of cash via PayPal and call it a day. But that's never gonna happen. lol)

But come on, the film bombed, selling this stuff off could at least make back a few dollars. They aught to get with it.
Old 03-25-2017, 02:23 PM   #9
The Boston Ninja Turtle
Mad Scientist

from a just generic movie veiw

prop wise everything would have been gathered and stored at a warehouse...some more generic props may even be reused for other projects

bigger stuff, if not stored or repurposed most likely was destroyed, or as you said if someone chose, sold to a theme park or museum , or planet hollywood, but im not sure on that for this particular project

Eastman and Bay or the actors may have a prop or 2 here or there somewhere

as for sets if they were sound stages they are gone or retooled...if its real world location..chances are its there...but you wont find props

props are never really left behing unless someone misses it

its acutally one persons job to distribute and make sure its all gathered

Old 03-25-2017, 04:28 PM   #10
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

One person I'd considered was the Set Decorator who was in a behind the scenes video, though I assumed once her job is done she probably doesn't have anything else to do with it.

There doesn't seem to be contact for her either anyhow, and no Facebook (darn), but it's prob for the best anyhow after reading she's this Emmy winning, Academy Award nominated movie/tv set decorator, who is most likely pretty busy and has no time for the likes of little me anyway. lol Er, yeah, I'll leave that one alone.

Although I am a little envious of her job though, sounds like so much fun, esp having had the chance to decorate Turtle lairs.
Old 03-25-2017, 07:19 PM   #11
The Boston Ninja Turtle
Mad Scientist

honestly i would just straight up ask actors or eastman on twitter or fb

just a simple tweet like..."@Noah hey where the nunchucks real props what happened to them"

could get the ball rolling for you