The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 08-09-2022, 04:05 PM   #1
VG_Addict
Mouser

Worst business decisions ever.

What are the worst business decisions you've ever seen?

Blockbuster passing on Netflix has to be up there.
VG_Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 04:34 PM   #2
mrmaczaps
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VG_Addict View Post
What are the worst business decisions you've ever seen?

Blockbuster passing on Netflix has to be up there.
Everything going woke.... and destroying itself... pretty bad.
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 07:02 PM   #3
Icebot
Foot Elite

Declaring overtime is not allowed without responsibly getting rid of some workloads to hourly employees. Making employees use checklists for tasks (and pretty much always changing procedures while never updating the checklists). I’ve seen toxic work environments as a result of these.
Icebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 07:17 PM   #4
Cowabung-Gal
Mad Scientist

Netflix showing “Cuties”

Seriously, why did they think that was a good idea?
Old 08-10-2022, 02:39 AM   #5
Mayhem
Foot Elite

You'd have to go a long way to beat this...

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index....llion-dollars/
Old 08-10-2022, 03:01 PM   #6
CyberCubed
Overlord

Nintendo not releasing the Sony CD add-on for the SNES and Sony taking that concept to create the Playstation has to be the biggest. Nintendo essentially created their biggest competitor and lost all their market share for the entire N64/Gamecube era for about a decade to Sony.

It's hard to believe the Playstation may have never happened otherwise.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 05:31 PM   #7
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

That CEO or whatever he was that JCPenney brought on years ago... That former Apple Store guy who did really well for that brand, but he was a moron who thought you could just do the same damn thing for a department store, and no big surprised it BOMBED and he hurt the company.

Was working for them at the time when they started cutting jobs as a result, losing a lot of people their paychecks while that jerk still stayed with the company for another year or so then when he was out HE still walked out with some contractually guaranteed millions on his pocket despite what he did to the company and a lot of the little people who had more concern with keeping food on the table than he did and would have been let go far sooner than this idiot for far less things.

It's that kind of crap that made me immediately reject the notion that a former businessman (and not even a successful one) president could just go in there and run a nation like a business. Yeah, no, that's ridiculous. Not after seeing that you certainly can't even run two different retail businesses the same and expect the same results.

The likes of Sears, Toys R Us, and others were horrid choices as well selling to those hedge fund types who were just in to play financial games with them and bleed them dry, not caring if they destroyed the companies.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 08-11-2022 at 05:36 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 05:38 PM   #8
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Nintendo not releasing the Sony CD add-on for the SNES and Sony taking that concept to create the Playstation has to be the biggest. Nintendo essentially created their biggest competitor and lost all their market share for the entire N64/Gamecube era for about a decade to Sony.

It's hard to believe the Playstation may have never happened otherwise.
Stuff like this is only obvious in hindsight, though. In 1992 and thereabouts, CD-ROM technology for video game consoles was pretty much considered a failure and a waste of time. Not a single CD-based console had made a dent in the marketplace, by the time the Sony/Nintendo partnership fell through. It was considered far too great of a risk from Nintendo's side of things, and objectively, without the benefit of hindsight it's easy to see How and Why they made the decision that they did. They also had no way of knowing that Sony would be SO pissed off about the snub that they'd dedicate hundreds of millions of dollars towards getting into a business they knew nothing about, just to spite Nintendo.

It's easy to look back NOW and say "Boy, that was a boner", but at the time it was just business as usual and a lot of observers figured Nintendo had actually dodged a bullet by not gambling on "risky, unproven" technology since their bottom line indicated they were doing just fine without it. Nobody knew Final Fantasy VII or Metal Gear Solid were gonna be a thing.

It all worked out pretty well for everyone involved, and even Nintendo managed to recover albeit by shifting nearly their entire business model towards handhelds and portable gaming. But by all accounts they're still doing fine, they're just no longer 95% of the video game market and that's objectively a good thing anyways.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 05:50 PM   #9
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Putting Alex Kurtzman in charge of the "Dark Universe" movies. And then putting him in charge of Star Trek.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 09:54 PM   #10
Leo656
The Franchise

I know for a fact that Ted Turner regrets the Time Warner merger, although probably not as much as the subsequent AOL/Time Warner merger which he had no way of foreseeing.

Old 08-11-2022, 10:46 PM   #11
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Oh! Marvel selling to Disney when it didn't need to. DC selling to WB as well, though that's going back a ways.
Old 08-11-2022, 10:52 PM   #12
Leo656
The Franchise

I think the folks at Disney/Marvel would disagree with you. Seems to have worked out beyond anyone's wildest dreams, even if I personally abhor most of the content.

I don't think the MCU becomes the juggernaut it is without Disney. But we'll never know.

DC being owned by WB was initially a good thing, since the point was to have a better delivery system for getting DC properties into more mainstream markets and all that. The problem with anything "going corporate" is that inevitably the lawyers and toy makers start making the creative decisions, and that's always bad. But it's also the inevitable trap of being successful.

Old 08-11-2022, 10:54 PM   #13
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I think the folks at Disney/Marvel would disagree with you. Seems to have worked out beyond anyone's wildest dreams, even if I personally abhor most of the content.
I guess in this particular case I mean more for us as the consumer and not them as the IP owners. And in the long term.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 08-11-2022 at 11:47 PM.
Old 08-11-2022, 11:01 PM   #14
Leo656
The Franchise

That's still pretty solidly Minority Opinion, though.

In Real Life I'm still surrounded by people who love everything Marvel puts out and can't understand why I don't. Only online - specifically This Forum - do I get even a whiff of Marvel Fatigue from anyone. Most consumers couldn't be happier with the state of things.

But then, people who aren't constantly online aren't also judging each new movie and show by how "woke" it Is or Isn't. To them it's all just entertainment and so the things that pissed you off about Falcon & Winter Soldier, Dr. Strange 2 and Ms. Marvel don't even register with them. In my experience if you even use the term "woke" in real life, unless the person you're talking to is online constantly they don't even know what you're talking about.

So it's just a completely different perspective, the Broader vs. The Insular. I'd be confident putting money down on most consumers being absolutely thrilled with Marvel's output.

Old 08-12-2022, 01:49 AM   #15
Mayhem
Foot Elite

If you want instant, see my link. It destroyed the company the next day in the stock exchange.
Old 08-12-2022, 03:30 AM   #16
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Gazprom, Nord Stream and Gerhard Schröder contributing to making a lot of countries addicted to Russian oil and natural gas.

Last edited by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan; 08-13-2022 at 02:47 AM.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 07:23 PM   #17
VG_Addict
Mouser

Nickelodeon passing on Adventure Time, which would become the cartoon that basically revived Cartoon Network and was one of the best and most influential cartoons of the 2010s.

Nickelodeon also passed on Ed Edd n Eddy, and Phineas and Ferb, which would also become big hits for their competitors.

Nickelodeon could have had Adventure Time, Ed Edd n Eddy, AND Phineas and Ferb, some of the best cartoons of the past 23 years. Now, you can say that those shows might not have been as popular or successful if they were on Nickelodeon, but that doesn't change the fact that Nickelodeon passed on these shows, and they became HUGE hits for their competitors.

And what shows did Nickelodeon pick up instead? Fanboy and Chum-Chum, Breadwinners, Planet Sheen, Bunsen Is a Beast, and Pig Goat Banana Cricket.
VG_Addict is offline   Reply With Quote