The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 06-22-2013, 11:04 PM   #241
Ninjinister
無問題

Trying to find the AC adapter for my portable SNES and I haven't the foggiest where it would be. I wanted to charge it and take it to work to show a colleague who is interested in ordering one on Amazon, but wants to see how it is, first. Between this and the Dreamcast games, I am super terrible at finding my old gaming stuff. I wish it just charged with a USB port like my portable Genesis.

On the bright side, I found my Gamecube controllers, so I can play Rave Master when it shows up. I had been wanting it since back in the day when I used to really watch anime, and had just never found it. Saw it on Amazon and decided to go for it.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:34 PM   #242
Ecto Jedi
Denki Wo Kitte Kudasai

Sweet merciful crap. Been waiting three-and-a-half weeks on this one.

Spoiler:
Ecto Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:37 PM   #243
Peanut
Second Gear

Quite a run you had going there. I still don't understand why there was such an issue, considering I've gotten items from that joint in a matter of days and we don't live terribly far from each other. It's gotta be some jumped-up postal worker being an asshole.

I haven't been able to find much lately, but I did score a copy of Wanpaku Graffiti for dirt cheap the other day, which I'm happy to get out of the way. I also ordered some Super Famicom box protectors that should be here pretty shortly.

I had bailed on a couple of auctions I could have had recently for a few reasons, one being I'm in full lock down saving-mode for my wedding and I'm also loading up some cash for the console launches at the end of the year. I've still got my eye on some gems, though. If there's a time to catch people slipping on low-priced auctions the time is definately now. Minds are elsewhere and money is getting stashed away for the absolute onslaught that will be this holiday season.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:01 PM   #244
Ninjinister
無問題

Rave Master arrived today, and I realized I needed to track down my GC memory card, which is in one of the game cases. I knew the Gamecube box wasn't too far from gone, since I'd dug out Mutant Melee for a photograph a few months ago. 10 minutes later, I'd uncovered it, with a few Wonderswan games to boot. I didn't have a whole lot of Gamecube games, since the system itself was my brother's, and in fact about half of those I bought after I moved out and was playing them on Wii - but there you have 'em.

Sorry the photo's a bit blurry. I still suck at taking them. But I believe most of the games are recognizable and if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:59 PM   #245
Peanut
Second Gear

Love you some Sonic games, dawg! Jealous of that Zelda collection, though. One of those things I skipped on time and again for no other reason than procrastination and now it's too expensive to justify.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:49 PM   #246
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
Love you some Sonic games, dawg! Jealous of that Zelda collection, though. One of those things I skipped on time and again for no other reason than procrastination and now it's too expensive to justify.
I'm more of a fan of compilations, to be honest, although I do love me a good Sonic game. Sonic Heroes was a birthday present, and it was alright, but not as good as I had hoped.

I oddly enough, got each of those Zelda collections (two of 'em) for $10 a piece, different years, from different people, at the same swap meet.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:23 PM   #247
Ecto Jedi
Denki Wo Kitte Kudasai

What's the game (compilation?) at the very top, next to Super Mario Sunshine?
Old 06-25-2013, 12:57 PM   #248
Ninjinister
無問題

Namco Museum.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:38 AM   #249
Ecto Jedi
Denki Wo Kitte Kudasai

Ah. I'm a sucker for compilations, too. The Sonic-branded Sega Genesis collection for X-Box 360 is probably my favourite. It's great seeing those old games with such crisp colors and resolution -- much better resolution than the downloadable Wii versions, which look downright muddy by comparison. (Here comparing both versions of Sonic and Knuckles.)

Intellivision Lives. Man. Now that's old-school.

Last edited by Ecto Jedi; 06-27-2013 at 07:44 AM.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:54 AM   #250
Peanut
Second Gear

I just threw out an old Colecovision and boxed my Atari and Intellivision away. As much as they're a part of history, I am absolutely unable to get any enjoyment out of them, so they were just taking up space.

I had fond memories of playing Demon Attack as a kid on a super old floor model TV my second uncle had and I adore Pressure Cooker for the 2600, but outside of those it's hard for me to care.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:24 PM   #251
Ninjinister
無問題

A few years back my parents' neighbor was selling a Colecovision. It said it came with Donkey Kong... the box was s**t but I figured for the right price I'd grab it. The box didn't really matter anyway.

I asked if there were any games with it, since I didn't even see DK. He'd told me that he "thought there were some in the attic, but he wasn't sure." Not a good start. I figured I could still pick up a game or two at a second hand store or eBay or something. So I asked the price.

"Guy offered me 60 earlier. Told him he was fulla s**t. Won't go no lower 'n 80."

I vividly remember the exact wording of that response, because it blew my mind how someone could try to sell an incomplete, poorly boxed piece of hardware like that. On top of that, he wasn't even sure it worked.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:45 PM   #252
Peanut
Second Gear

The issue with people thinking stuff is worth money just because it's old right there. It's f*cking ridiculous. It's not even just resellers anymore, which is destroying the market and making it impossible to collect unless you luck out on a deal.

I checked out a small vendor on the weekend at a smaller flea market and I was absolutely blown away by the price hikes within the last month alone. My new tactic is to ask the price of a low end game and judge if I want to even bother talking to the person and this guy didn't disappoint in the least. I asked about a copy of Legacy of the Wizard for NES, which is maybe $5 when going by over-inflated eBay prices, and dude seriously shot back with zero hesitation an astounding $40 at me. I wanted to test him a bit more, because I've noticed anything that sounds slightly fantastical seems to be thought of as a premium game to most of these clowns. I dropped a quality license game on him, Tiny Toons for NES, which came with a price tag of $60. I was done then and there, but for kicks I asked about a copy of Adventure of Link, which is easily the cheapest ($6 or so) Zelda game available. $100 with no room for negotiation.

I'm really hoping new console launches kills some of the activity in the market and some of these reselling assholes lose their shirts over the winter. Complete bullsh*t.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:42 AM   #253
Ecto Jedi
Denki Wo Kitte Kudasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
I checked out a small vendor on the weekend at a smaller flea market and I was absolutely blown away by the price hikes within the last month alone. My new tactic is to ask the price of a low end game and judge if I want to even bother talking to the person and this guy didn't disappoint in the least. I asked about a copy of Legacy of the Wizard for NES, which is maybe $5 when going by over-inflated eBay prices, and dude seriously shot back with zero hesitation an astounding $40 at me. I wanted to test him a bit more, because I've noticed anything that sounds slightly fantastical seems to be thought of as a premium game to most of these clowns. I dropped a quality license game on him, Tiny Toons for NES, which came with a price tag of $60. I was done then and there, but for kicks I asked about a copy of Adventure of Link, which is easily the cheapest ($6 or so) Zelda game available. $100 with no room for negotiation.
Were these boxed games or just the cartridges?
Old 06-27-2013, 07:51 AM   #254
Peanut
Second Gear

CARTS! They were straight up loose carts as they weren't even in great condition.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:02 PM   #255
Ecto Jedi
Denki Wo Kitte Kudasai

Man, are these guys ever targeting a miniscule market. Who are they expecting to dupe? People with a powerful latent nostalgia drive and lots of disposable cash? Wouldn't people interested in NES games already have some idea of the value of things?

People walking around flea markets (or used game stores) with C-notes in their pockets and potential overriding emotional responses when confronted with cherished old carts can't be so common, can they?

On a different note: the last of the main nostalgia purchases.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:25 PM   #256
Peanut
Second Gear

The scary thing is that, yes, people are that stupid. I've been around some of these places and seen teenagers pay close to $100 for average, common N64 games.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:20 PM   #257
Ecto Jedi
Denki Wo Kitte Kudasai

Ugh. That's unconscionable.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:09 AM   #258
Ecto Jedi
Denki Wo Kitte Kudasai

To hell with double posts, look what I found sitting in a thrown-out office desk outside the Emerson Avenue subway exit!

Spoiler:

Some nostalgia bombs:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Old 06-30-2013, 09:30 AM   #259
Peanut
Second Gear

Nice! Super weird find!

I got this on Thursday, but I haven't had time to sit down and play it yet. Actually, I haven't had time to do much of anything this week, so Sunday is funday!

Spoiler:
Old 06-30-2013, 12:04 PM   #260
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Sometimes when I clip my nails too short, it hurts for a bit. That's what it looks like with you, lolz.

Tags
classics, nostalgia, peanut, video games