The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 04-03-2013, 05:54 PM   #1
Ecto Jedi
Denki Wo Kitte Kudasai

Game Collecting Thread

$60 off Kijiji, complete with A/V cables and two controllers (no sign of yellowing). Pretty solid.

So:

Any SNES gems you'd recommend I track down?
Any locales in the Toronto area selling old games for cheap?
Any websites/eBay sellers doing same?

Please help.
Ecto Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:48 PM   #2
CyberCubed
Overlord

I assume you've played most of these Nintendo games already, but just to list the best of the best:

Super Mario World
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
Siper Mario All-stars
Super Mario Kart
Super Mario RPG

Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Super Metroid
Starfox
F-zero
Super Punchout

Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 2
Donkey Kong Country 3

Kirby Superstar
Kirby Dreamland 3

Turtles in Time
TMNT: Tournament Fighters
Killer Instinct
Adventures of Batman and Robin

Megaman X 1-3
Super Castlevania IV
Wild Arms
Zombies Ate my Neighbors
Legend of the Mystical Ninja
Contra III: Alien Wars
Super Turrican

Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy
Actraiser

Plus many more. The Super Nintendo isn't considered one of the best consoles ever made for no reason.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:03 PM   #3
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

yep^^^^
Pretty much a good list to start.
My personally favorite is TMNT in time and Donkey Kong Country.
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:08 PM   #4
CyberCubed
Overlord

Ah not to mention Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat, but the sequels on current gen systems are much better.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:06 PM   #5
Peanut
Second Gear

You picked an awful time to get in. SNES prices are/have been skyrocketing for about a year. Stuff that cost $20-$30 a few years ago costs $70-$80 now. Stuff like Earthbound regularly go for upwards of $200+ these days. CIB games are starting to get out of the question. Again, CIB Earthbound is well over $300.

Also, don't bother looking for stores around Toronto. I've been banging that drum for awhile now and the scene is awful. Over-priced and no decent stock. I'm assuming there's a re-seller out there snapping stuff up from around smaller places (Value Village etc) because I've had almost no luck in the last few months finding sh*t. Most stores around here also price according to eBay, which is an absolute sh*t show. Even the closer flea markets, like Pickering, are an absolute joke. I was there on the weekend and was pretty f*cking frightened by the prices. We're talking Kirby Superstar for $80 and anything that wasn't a sports game hitting $30 without question. Your best bet is camping eBay auctions, but unless you're totally committed you're going to get trounced, because competition is huge right now.

My first piece of advice is to look into Super Famicom eBay auctions. SuFami games like the DKC 2-3, Mega Man X and Super Metroid go for waaaay cheaper and the language barrier isn't an issue with games of the sort. In case you weren't aware, the SNES can indeed play Super Famicom games and requires very little work to do so. There are two little tabs inside the cart slot of the SNES that are easily removed with a pair of pliers and they're the only things stopping Super Famicom games from fitting in the slot. Easiest mod in history.

My second piece of advice is to focus! Focus in on what you want, set your price and drive for that one thing. If you constantly wait for "a better price" for games you really want you'll almost never get them. I floundered on the SFC Parodius games and could never pull it off until I sat down and said "I want these. I'm willing to pay $40+ for a CIB of these games. F*ck it!" and I bid super aggressively.

Good luck to you, sir. It's not an easy (or cheap) collection to begin. I'm here to help, though.

Edit: If you're looking for cheap good stuff, there's very little out there now that doesn't command dumb prices, but there are a handful that are still reasonable. Stuff like Star Fox, Super Punchout, Super Ghouls n' Ghosts, the Star Wars games, the first DKC and Super Mario World can be picked up for $15 or under. Past those few things really start to ramp up. Maybe if you gave me a price range you're looking for I could give you a better list of good stuff to find, but cheap simply isn't an option anymore. Unless you want old sports games or bad licensed sh*t no one wants.

Last edited by Peanut; 04-03-2013 at 09:16 PM.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:45 AM   #6
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Ah not to mention Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat, but the sequels on current gen systems are much better.
If he owns a PS2 or an X-Box, he's better off getting Midway Arcade Treasures 2 since it has arcade-perfect versions of Mortal Kombat II and 3. It's for GameCube too, but the GameCube controller probably wouldn't be very good for those games.

I'll just recommend Illusion of Gaia. It's the only game I own that hasn't yet been mentioned. There's also Mega Man 7, except I have that through the Mega Man Anniversary Collection disc for the GameCube.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:11 AM   #7
UsagiYojimbo
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecto Jedi View Post

Any SNES gems you'd recommend I track down?
Any locales in the Toronto area selling old games for cheap?
Any websites/eBay sellers doing same?

Final Fantasy 2 and 3 were epic. I also adore Zelda: A Link to the Past
Old 04-04-2013, 06:48 AM   #8
Ecto Jedi
Denki Wo Kitte Kudasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
Edit: If you're looking for cheap good stuff, there's very little out there now that doesn't command dumb prices, but there are a handful that are still reasonable. Stuff like Star Fox, Super Punchout, Super Ghouls n' Ghosts, the Star Wars games, the first DKC and Super Mario World can be picked up for $15 or under. Past those few things really start to ramp up. Maybe if you gave me a price range you're looking for I could give you a better list of good stuff to find, but cheap simply isn't an option anymore. Unless you want old sports games or bad licensed sh*t no one wants.
Yep, I've perused through a few of the used game stores around where I live (Dufferin area) and, yeah, as a general rule you get f*cked up the ass. It's a joke. Like, come on guys, are you actually in the market to sell these, or is it your goal to just have them sit in the display case? Still, some of the games I'm looking to pick up are nostalgia purchases only, so there's still hope in finding some decently priced cartridges.

Case in point: Hit the Ice by Taito. Terrible, terrible game. But $10 isn't too bad a price to pay, I suppose. I found Street Fighter II, boxed, for $20. That ain't bad either. ClayFighter and C2: Judgment Clay I've found for $10-$15. (Haven't actually bought any of these yet, mind you.)

But the real gems I'm looking for -- Battletoads and Double Dragon and Battlemaniacs at the forefront -- are fetching absolutely ridiculous prices. Turtles in Time and Tournament Fighters are two of the worst offenders too, unfortunately. So I'm off to eBay for those.

Last edited by Ecto Jedi; 04-04-2013 at 09:23 AM.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:22 AM   #9
Ecto Jedi
Denki Wo Kitte Kudasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
If he owns a PS2 or an X-Box, he's better off getting Midway Arcade Treasures 2 since it has arcade-perfect versions of Mortal Kombat II and 3. It's for GameCube too, but the GameCube controller probably wouldn't be very good for those games.
I have all three Mortal Kombat games on my PSP Midway Arcade Treasures disc, but they're awfully flawed ports. Mortal Kombat I and II look like great buys for the SNES. I'm definitely in the market.

Spotted Killer Instinct for $15. Love that black cart.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:02 PM   #10
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsagiYojimbo View Post
Final Fantasy 2 and 3 were epic.
I didn't own those games, but I borrowed them from a friend who did. Those are good games, and they've even got some good music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecto Jedi View Post
I have all three Mortal Kombat games on my PSP Midway Arcade Treasures disc, but they're awfully flawed ports. Mortal Kombat I and II look like great buys for the SNES. I'm definitely in the market.

Spotted Killer Instinct for $15. Love that black cart.
How are they flawed?

I passed up Mortal Kombat for the SNES just for the simple fact that it didn't have blood, and I didn't own a Genesis either. Not that I was all that impressed by the Genesis version though. It hardly had any sound and the voice samples were lame. Anyway I got Mortal Kombat: Deception premium pack for the PS2 which has the arcade-perfect version of Mortal Kombat, so that kind of makes up for it. Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 is also available for the SNES, but the arcade-perfect version was available through the premium edition of Mortal Kombat: Armageddon for the PS2.

The black Killer Instinct cartridge was cool. I so wasn't expecting it when I opened up the box and slipped the cartridge out of it

Enjoy the SNES though. It's seriously my favorite console of all-time alongside the NES.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote