The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 07-30-2018, 11:08 AM   #121
ZariusTwo
Overlord

The cast and crew have released an official statement

ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 11:22 AM   #122
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I guess that's a decent gesture. It's not quite the "We demand Disney reinstate Gunn" it needs to/should be, but it's a big step up from the vague "Thoughts and best wishes and life is weird" stuff Pratt and Zaldana were blathering on about early.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 11:27 AM   #123
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Its getting out of hand, people are digging into seven year old tweets from baseball players now undermining their moments of glory. If you have a social media account it might be best to make sure something irrelevant due to age yet offensive then is erased. Past haunts.
https://sports.yahoo.com/m/4cd32c4f-...2c-turner.html
Old 07-30-2018, 12:19 PM   #124
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I guess that's a decent gesture. It's not quite the "We demand Disney reinstate Gunn" it needs to/should be, but it's a big step up from the vague "Thoughts and best wishes and life is weird" stuff Pratt and Zaldana were blathering on about early.
Yeah. They went from a F to a B+. They could still do better, but it's way better than their "thoughts and prayers" BS.
Old 07-30-2018, 02:27 PM   #125
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
If these were new, sure maybe but the the difference between now and 10 years ago as we have a politically motivated Hate Machine using pedophilia as new form of McCarthyism.
Hate Machine, which was put to motion by fringe-lefties with their "witch hunts" on everyone who said or did something dubious in their pasts, even if everything they had, were questionable rumors and awkward allegations.

As the old saying goes: "you rip what you saw".
But, of course, proggies thought that "only the bad ones will be affected"...SURPRISE!!...everyone will be affected.

When you put in motion hate machine to grind people for "wrong think" sooner or later this machine rages out of control and start to grind everyone, regardless of how "bad" those people are. And soon it starts to grind even those who were "good" ones.
That's the nature of any totalitarian repressive machine - it can not be controlled. It runs on hysteria, suspicions and rumors. And if people are sufficiently fired up, they will feed this machine, constantly adding more rumors to the mill, which will create more hysteria, suspicions and paranoia.

Instead of bashing gay people for being attracted to genitals and seeing nazis in every corner, lefties need to study history. But, of course, fighting for progress one tweet at a time is easier.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 04:33 PM   #126
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Instead of bashing gay people for being attracted to genitals and seeing nazis in every corner, lefties need to study history. But, of course, fighting for progress one tweet at a time is easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 09:25 PM   #127
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
You find extreme proggies funny?
I do too. Such delusional lunatics they are.
Eating their own with gusto.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:58 AM   #128
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Disney And Marvel May Reinstate James Gunn As GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 3's Director

Yesterday, the cast of the Guardians of the Galaxy franchise shared an open letter in which they made it clear they stand by fired director James Gunn and want to see him reinstated. Now, Variety has offered an update on where things stand and sources tell them that there is indeed a "growing feeling" that he'll get his job back, especially as Marvel and Disney haven't started looking for a replacement.

The trade also notes that production is set to begin early next year, meaning that the studio would need to move quickly to find a new director, especially as they would need to work on the script.

So, what's happening? Well, Walt Disney chairman Bob Iger is currently taking a well-deserved vacation after closing the merger with Fox and insiders say that a decision on Gunn's future won't be made until he returns to work. With any luck, he'll see sense because Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 won't be the same without the filmmaker. The question is, will he want to return after Disney quickly fired him?

That remains to be seen but we'll be sure to keep you updated on the situation in the coming weeks.

Long Story Short Bob Iger will look into the Gunn thing when he comes back from Vacation

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/guard...rector-a162576
Old 07-31-2018, 11:05 AM   #129
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

As much as I didn't really like how Gunn upped the "humor" in GotG2, I do hope he's brought back to wrap the trilogy.
Old 07-31-2018, 11:22 AM   #130
AquaParade
Banned

I must admit, creatively, I don't mind at all if he leaves. I'm glad a lot of people love the Guardian's films, but despite being a hardcore Marvel fan, I don't much care for them.

That said, I'd like to see him brought back, to stick it to all the finger-pointers who probably have their own past-misdeeds to worry about.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 11:27 PM   #131
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
If these were new, sure maybe but the the difference between now and 10 years ago as we have a politically motivated Hate Machine using pedophilia as new form of McCarthyism.
And Fringe members of that group or more than happy to bring violence with them wherever they go. I still think that's the real concern.
My point is, it doesn't matter who is doing it, the mechanism is the same. It's too easy to aim a human bot-net at somebody and get them fired, and nobody seemed to care until it was set off by people they don't like.

I suspect that Gunn is probably better off being sacked at the behest of shady right-wing characters rather than the alternative, because this way people are coming to his defence rather than distancing themselves from him.
Old 08-01-2018, 07:56 AM   #132
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

you must run in very different internet circles than I do off this board, because that's not how I see the situation at all.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:48 AM   #133
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

What's the difference between Gunn's pedophilia jokes and those of Dan Harmon and Milo Yiannopoulous?

Quote:
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Old 08-01-2018, 11:29 AM   #134
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
What's the difference between Gunn's pedophilia jokes and those of Dan Harmon and Milo Yiannopoulous?
I don't know who Harmon is, but Milo is not a lousy joker, but a shitstain, who pretends to be some kind of political activist. Though, he is a sellout and will say whatever is needed to make the biggest profit of his persona.

Comparing him and Gunn doesn't really make sense unless you are seriously lacking grey matter and doesn't see difference between political activist and a movie director.
Old 08-01-2018, 01:04 PM   #135
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Quote:
I don't know who Harmon is, but Milo is not a lousy joker, but a shitstain, who pretends to be some kind of political activist. Though, he is a sellout and will say whatever is needed to make the biggest profit of his persona.

Comparing him and Gunn doesn't really make sense unless you are seriously lacking grey matter and doesn't see difference between political activist and a movie director.
You know, you're absolutely right. I should try harder next time.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-01-2018, 01:19 PM   #136
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Truth.

One advocates for the merits of hebephilia, and says that age of consent laws are oppressive.

The other made some jokes at the expense of a convicted sex offender, and his victims.

Then there's the edgy guy who makes Rick and Morty and who once humped a doll on film.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 01:43 PM   #137
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
You know, you're absolutely right. I should try harder next time.
I think "next time" you should just step away from keyboard, if you will have an urge to "try harder".
No need to add to cohort of incompetent provocateurs here.
Old 08-01-2018, 01:53 PM   #138
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Quote:
No need to add to cohort of incompetent provocateurs here.
I know you've got it covered.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-01-2018, 02:48 PM   #139
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
I know you've got it covered.
Seems, I am good at provocations, seeing that you always swallow my baits.
Old 08-01-2018, 03:47 PM   #140
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Disney Unlikely to Rehire ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ Director James Gunn (EXCLUSIVE)

Despite a cast letter asking for James Gunn to be reinstated as the director of “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3,” Walt Disney Studios is currently not planning on rehiring the filmmaker who it recently fired after a series of offensive tweets surfaced, according to multiple people familiar with the studio’s current thinking. The feeling within both Disney and Marvel is that the dozens of so-called jokes that Gunn made about pedophilia and rape are unacceptable in the #MeToo era and are not in line with Disney’s family-friendly image.

The studio recognized that “Guardians” cast members such as Chris Pratt and Zoe Saldana stopped short of threatening to quit the series, but there is widespread belief that the actors will show up for future installments, regardless of their personal feelings about Gunn. For one thing, most are under contract and would face legal action if they opted out of a sequel. Still, the public endorsement of the director was notable for its vociferous support.

“We were all shocked by [Gunn’s] abrupt firing last week and have intentionally waited these ten days to respond in order to think, pray, listen, and discuss,” the letter reads. “In that time, we have been encouraged by the outpouring of support from fans and members of the media who wish to see James reinstated as director of Volume 3 as well as discouraged by those so easily duped into believing the many outlandish conspiracy theories surrounding him.”

Related
'Guardians of the Galaxy' Cast Says It 'Fully Supports' James Gunn
Rian Johnson Explains Why He Deleted 20,000 Tweets After James Gunn Firing

At this point, the letter does not seem likely to save his job. Gunn’s firing was approved by Disney Studios chief Alan Horn, with his boss, company CEO Bob Iger weighing in on the final decision. The involvement of the highest levels of Disney signals that the cast pressure to rethink the Gunn ouster will struggle to gain internal support. “I don’t see Disney re-hiring him,” says one person close to the matter. “Those tweets were so horrible and Disney has a different standard then other studios.”

Gunn’s comments were nearly a decade old and were recently resurfaced by alt-right agitators, including the blogger Mike Cernovich. The tweets included messages such as, “The best thing about being raped is when you’re done being raped and it’s like ‘whew this feels great, not being raped!'” and “I’m doing a big Hollywood adaptation of The Giving Tree with a happy ending – the tree grows back and gives the kid a blowjob.” Others made light of AIDS, the Holocaust, and 9/11.

Disney insiders say the company was not aware of the offensive tweets and was taken aback when they were recirculated.

As for replacing Gunn, Disney feels no pressure to immediately find a new director, according to sources, and is willing to wait until the right A-list filmmaker comes along. For one, the studio never gave the film an official release date, even though it was widely expected to hit theaters within the next two years. Depending on how long it takes to land the right director, Disney may in fact wind up pushing back the film’s original February 2019 start date.

Spokespeople for Disney and Marvel declined to comment for this article.

So far, the studio has yet to meet with any Gunn replacements. There have been rumors that Marvel regulars like Jon Favreau (“Iron Man”), Taika Waititi (“Thor: Ragnarok”), or the Russo brothers (“Avengers: Infinity War”) might be enlisted, but sources say that many of the usual suspects are busy with prior obligations. That means that there is a higher likelihood that Disney will reach outside the Marvel family to find a director with the kind of offbeat sensibility to handle the comic-book franchise.

Replacing Gunn won’t be an easy task. Although largely unknown when he took the “Guardians” gig, having made a few cult favorites such as “Slither,” Gunn quickly proved to be more than a gun for hire. As both a writer and a director, he was seen as having a key role in nailing down the film’s light-hearted tone, giving the standard “heroes on a mission” genre a poppy makeover by including ’70s rock favorites on the soundtrack and peppering in lots of jokey asides. When “Guardians” was announced, some questioned its commercial prospects. The characters were low profile and the band of interstellar warriors included a gun-tooting raccoon and a tree. But the film and its sequel were massive successes, earning more than $1.6 billion globally.

This wasn’t Gunn’s first social media scandal. In 2012, the director apologized for a blog post he wrote in 2011, titled “The 50 Superheroes You Most Want to Have Sex With.” In the it, Gunn speculated that Iron Man could “turn” the lesbian Batwoman into a heterosexual, labeled Gambit a “Cajun fruit,” and called Batgirl, who is a teenage mother in the comics, “easy.” Facing a backlash, Gunn said he regretted making “poorly worded” statements.

The Gunn firing comes as studios are struggling with how to handle the personal issues of movie stars, given a new “zero tolerance” climate. The sexual harassment reckoning that has toppled media figures such as Harvey Weinstein, Dustin Hoffman, Kevin Spacey, and more, has made these companies less likely to put up with talent that has been accused of assault, or has made impolitic or offensive comments. For instance, ABC, which is owned by Disney, quickly fired Roseanne Barr last spring after she made racist remarks about former Obama aide Valerie Jarrett, and Paramount laid off TV chief Amy Powell after she allegedly used racially-charged language in the workplace.

On social media, Disney has been hit for working with Johnny Depp on the “Pirates of the Caribbean” and “Alice in Wonderland” films. Depp was accused of assaulting his ex-wife Amber Heard. However, there are no sequels to either franchise in development at Disney, nor does Depp have any films in the works at the studio or an overall production deal with the company. It seems unlikely he will going back to work at the studio in this climate.

Perhaps with good reason. Warner Bros.’ decision to include Depp in its Comic-Con presentation for “Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald” raised hackles on social media, particularly because Heard took the stage roughly an hour later to promote “Aquaman.”

“WB brought Johnny Depp out for the Fantastic Beasts panel (as a surprise!!!) immediately proceeding their Aquaman panel, featuring Amber Heard,” tweeted Entertainment Weekly correspondent Dana Schwartz. “That makes me nauseous.”

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/j...ticle-comments

Tags
james gunn, jumped the gunn, sjws of the galaxy