The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 12-09-2017, 06:34 AM   #21
drgon78
Mad Scientist

Looks terrible, but not surprised.
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 04:27 PM   #22
drag0nfeathers
Stone Warrior

It's not a deal breaker for me either, I just thing if they dialed it back just a touch she would look more "innocent doe-eyed anime style" and little less "terrifying android Barbie"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
They're not a deal breaker for me but I do wish they'd have just left the actress alone beyond conventional makeup.

Thank you to evan2000 for the AWESOME gif! <3
drag0nfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 04:41 PM   #23
sdp
-

I watched the trailer and read a little bit about the source material, I'm in 100%, don't care if it stinks up the B.O.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:15 PM   #24
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

Looks good to me. The original was a big part of the 90s Anime boom - you'd hear it in the same breath as Akira and Ghost in the Shell. It's surprising that it's kind'a forgotten now.

Elysium kind'a ripped-off its central premise, so I hope that doesn't hurt it's chances.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:53 PM   #25
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by drag0nfeathers View Post
I love it and I'm so excited but by God her eyes are giving me goddamn nightmares! I get the "anime style" they are going for, but damn.... bring it down just a notch.
From what I understand, that's how she looks like in the original manga/anime. And I don't mean because she's an anime character, I mean as in... other characters in her own series notice and point out that she does have bigger than normal eyes in-universe. From what I get, she's a doll-like android and is supposed to look like that. So hey, kudos to the movie for not screwing that up and keeping that detail.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:59 PM   #26
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
From what I understand, that's how she looks like in the original manga/anime. And I don't mean because she's an anime character, I mean as in... other characters in her own series notice and point out that she does have bigger than normal eyes in-universe. From what I get, she's a doll-like android and is supposed to look like that. So hey, kudos to the movie for not screwing that up and keeping that detail.
Even though I haven't read the series I heard from people who have that characters point out her lips than her eyes in fact one of her nicknames is octopus lips
http://battleangel.wikia.com/wiki/Alita

In fact here is a human male in front of Alita

Her eyes are slightly bigger but they aren't inhuman

This girl right here, also human(though her brother is a cyborg)

Last edited by PApagreg; 12-12-2017 at 11:10 PM.
PApagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 11:25 PM   #27
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post
Even though I haven't read the series I heard from people who have that characters point out her lips than her eyes in fact one of her nicknames is octopus lips
http://battleangel.wikia.com/wiki/Alita

In fact here is a human male in front of Alita

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/RMKle5if-80/hqdefault.jpg

Her eyes are slightly bigger but they aren't inhuman

This girl right here, also human(though her brother is a cyborg)

https://78.media.tumblr.com/b4ae6316...7q4ko1_540.png
I'll have to read up, I heard she even gets made fun of because of her eyes. If anything, that pic looks like the guy's eyes are big due to surprise and her eyes are big by default, but idk. I'd imagine if they're gonna make fun of her eyes and lips they should not make the other non-doll characters look like that too to make the differences more notable.

Either way, if she has big eyes in-universe, than the movie adaptation is fine. It would be like complaining about the Hulk being so unbelievably huge for a normal muscular man when that's how he is in the comics. I believe most of the people complaining are ones that have never even heard of the series.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Old 12-13-2017, 12:10 AM   #28
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I think it's pretty simple. Rodriguez and/or Cameron said "main chick should have anime eyes!" So she does. It's a creative decision. Why attack it?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 01:32 AM   #29
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
I think it's pretty simple. Rodriguez and/or Cameron said "main chick should have anime eyes!" So she does. It's a creative decision. Why attack it?
Mainly because it lurks in the uncanny valley and does not fit with the realistic aesthetic of everything else in the world. We've come a long way in CG, but we're still not quite there yet; see also CG Tarkin, the furthest anyone's come to realistic looking CG humans so far, and how all anyone seemed to want to talk about from Rogue One is how off he felt. She does have big eyes in the manga, but so do a lot of characters, including the regular humans, because it's a stylistic choice that works with the art style of the world the artist has developed. It's consistent. Here, she just has big eyes because that's an anime thing and it does not work with the realistic bent you naturally get from live action. See Ido, the scientist, for example. Just a regular guy in the trailer, when in the manga, he looks like this.

Basically, the point is, they took one thing from the manga and transplanted it and, outside of the rest of the style and in something where everything looks realish, it sticks out in the wrong way. It's a weird half measure that just doesn't look right, proportionally, and if they wanted to emulate the style they ought to have just gone whole hog and done a full CG animated film with the style of everything translated. I've seen some try to defend it with "uncanny valley is the point, she's a cyborg, she sticks out", except that's not how it works for the character. If anything, her lips got more attention in story than anything else, complete with embarrassing nicknames, because her face is otherwise normalish. You already get that otherness anyway with the fact that ninety percent of her body is cybernetic; she's literally a brain in a cyborg body.

Plus it leaves a lot of the character, clothes included, as pure CG, which again stands out next to flesh and blood actors.

It doesn't bother some people, but it does get to a lot more - I personally think it looks pretty bad and repulsive, but my opinion is to be taken with a grain of salt, because I've never been a huge fan of heavy CG, especially on human characters - and I have a nasty feeling this is going to turn off or stick with general audiences more than anything else about it. It could be a great adaptation otherwise, and with the people involved it has a good shot, but it could easily end up known as "that movie with the weird bug eyes". After the heartbreak of Blade Runner 2049 not performing in theaters, it would really suck if this turned out to be good and another cyberpunk film ended up sunk because of something silly they didn't need to do.

But all that is really just me vomiting words when I could probably just sum it all up with "because it looks silly".
Old 12-13-2017, 05:38 AM   #30
drgon78
Mad Scientist

It would have worked better if they gave everyone else anime eyes...well maybe not.
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 09:32 AM   #31
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
But she has 'anime eyes' in universe... to the point characters in her own series point it out...

Old 12-13-2017, 09:57 AM   #32
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

I don't even know what this is, but those freaking anime eyes on an otherwise realistic-looking character...

Yeesh.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:19 AM   #33
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

If the eyes are the only thing people can really complain about, I consider that a positive thing. I mean, she's an android. She's supposed to have that "uncanny valley" thing going on.

I checked Amazon and the special editions of the manga will be presented as hardcover volumes in the original right-to-left reading format, unlike the versions I remember seeing years ago at the library.

Looks like there were nine initial volumes of it before any spin-offs/alternate endings, five of which are already showing on the site, with the first one being currently available for purchase.

Apparently the new versions are full-size, rather than digest size, which is nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 11:31 AM   #34
sdp
-

I can see this being an awesome movie but being nitpicked to death by FAKE geek culture websites and most people just repeating what their favorite websites/youtubers said.

I'm already seeing that with Ready Player One.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 12:26 PM   #35
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I can see this being an awesome movie but being nitpicked to death by ... geek culture websites and most people just repeating what their favorite websites/youtubers said.

A minor edit, but now I can totally agree with it.

I have to admit that I didn't have any real interest in this movie until I saw that Rodriguez was directing.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.

Last edited by plastroncafe; 12-13-2017 at 12:34 PM.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 02:03 PM   #36
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I can see this being an awesome movie but being nitpicked to death by FAKE geek culture websites and most people just repeating what their favorite websites/youtubers said.

It's already happening here with people complaining about her eyes without knowing that's how she's supposed to be and we're supposed to be the geeks that know that stuff.

I'm just ready for whenever that Spiderverse movie is out and these non-comic readers start complaining about why Spiderman is black.

Old 12-13-2017, 02:13 PM   #37
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
It's already happening here with people complaining about her eyes without knowing that's how she's supposed to be and we're supposed to be the geeks that know that stuff.

I'm just ready for whenever that Spiderverse movie is out and these non-comic readers start complaining about why Spiderman is black.
Let's be honest, there's already comic readers complaining about that too.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 02:14 PM   #38
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:

I, for one, get to critique whatever I want to critique.

I know nothing about the IP or character. I see this screencap, I don't like it, and I decide "Nah, I'm not interested."

That's all I gotta do. If this is accurate to the source, then that's a very interesting creative choice and I get why it would please some people. Glad to know some people are on board. But as a filthy casual, I see this and raise it a "nope."
Old 12-13-2017, 02:21 PM   #39
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:

Again people in the manga mostly point out her lips than her eyes so if James Cameron or Rodriguez wanted to be closer to the source they would've CG the character's lips instead of her eyes. Also again this is what a human girl looks like in the manga

[IMG][/IMG]

I mean the eyes aren't a huge dealbreaker for me and if the film is good I'll watch it but I could really do without the eyes
Old 12-13-2017, 02:46 PM   #40
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
I know nothing about the IP or character. I see this screencap, I don't like it, and I decide "Nah, I'm not interested."
Unfortunately for the film - especially if it IS good - I have a bad feeling you're not going to be alone in that.

Quote:
Again people in the manga mostly point out her lips than her eyes so if James Cameron or Rodriguez wanted to be closer to the source they would've CG the character's lips instead of her eyes.
Yeah, she gets s*** for her lips, including nicknames. A ton of characters have big eyes like hers, even humans. It's part of the art style.

Last edited by dl316bh; 12-13-2017 at 02:55 PM.
dl316bh is offline   Reply With Quote