The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 03-28-2017, 11:25 AM   #261
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

I'm really neutral to the trailer despite it hyping me up for its release.

For the good, I think the action looks good. Ever since 2, the action in Spider-Man films are often a great treat to watch (personal favorite is Symbiote Spidey vs Sandman in 3, though train fight in 2 is also good). Michael Keaton is also selling me as the Vulture and freaking Shocker appears briefly! The superhero aspect is certainly going to be like a dance, fun while it lasts for its brief time.

What I'm not interested in is the spotlight on Tony Stark. I know in the comics Peter Parker looks up to Iron-Man as well as Captain America, heck Peter teams with Tony and stays at the Avengers Tower at one point. While Robert Downey Jr. will ensure a box office draw for it, the fact he appears for at least a third of the trailer worries me of his influence; as Zarius said, it'd become "Iron-Man Homecoming" instead.

Also not a fan of the lack of focus on Peter's civilian life not appearing for too long. Essentially, if you've seen the trailer, it may very well be like seeing most of the film, which is something I'm hesitant on saying. It frustrates me as I want to see a good Spider-Man film after the previous three outings being not up to snub.

We'll see in about three months time. I'm happy to see it, but I'm hesitant as well.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:26 AM   #262
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
http://www.cosmicbooknews.com/spider...ecoming-sequel

Uh oh... no more Spider-Man in MCU after sequel (and after Avengers: Infinity War, of course).
God dang it, Sony...

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:34 AM   #263
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Quote:

Uh oh... no more Spider-Man in MCU after sequel (and after Avengers: Infinity War, of course).
****ing Sony. If your plan is to reboot Spidey after the 2019 movie then don't rush to release a Venom movie in 2018 that isn't connected to your current version of Spidey. Just wait and reboot the whole franchise after 2019 if you can't work with Marvel Studios anymore.
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:38 AM   #264
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

Quote:

I really hope the keyword, "may return," is not true. Is Sony so desperate for cash they have to do this?

Ugh, just... why?
Old 03-28-2017, 11:44 AM   #265
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

It could be read that Pascal is just saying that this whole thing is rather unprecedented, and that it was unlikely to last as long as it is, and that as such it's unlikely or at least also unprecedented -- not impossible -- that it would continue much further.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 12:04 PM   #266
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
It could be read that Pascal is just saying that this whole thing is rather unprecedented, and that it was unlikely to last as long as it is, and that as such it's unlikely or at least also unprecedented -- not impossible -- that it would continue much further.
It seems like she's playing hard-to-get in order to try to get more money from Marvel for the next time they want Spider-Man to appear in an MCU film.

God damn it, Sony, you're going to sh!t the bed.
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 12:05 PM   #267
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldMutant View Post
I really hope the keyword, "may return," is not true. Is Sony so desperate for cash they have to do this?

Ugh, just... why?
Shouldn't have anything to do with money. They still pocket 100% of the studio box office returns. I doubt the budget for Homecoming was more than what they spent for TASM2.

Hopefully Homecoming makes them a ton of money and they realize it's best to keep Spidey in the MCU fold.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:07 PM   #268
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
It seems like she's playing hard-to-get in order to try to get more money from Marvel for the next time they want Spider-Man to appear in an MCU film.
Could be that, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPug View Post
Shouldn't have anything to do with money. They still pocket 100% of the studio box office returns.
What do you mean? I'm not sure what exactly the deal is with Sony and Marvel, but I'm pretty sure Marvel isn't doing this all for free?
Old 03-28-2017, 12:23 PM   #269
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

I don't know if they ever formally announced how the partnership works. My understanding is that as the distributor Sony gets all of the box office for the movie and incurred all the production costs. In return for Marvel's assistance with producing the movie they get to use the character in Disney distributed films. I remember reading an article in one of the trades that said Feige was going to waive his producer fee for Homecoming but not sure that was true (I'm sure he at least gets something on the back end assuming it reaches certain numbers).
Old 03-28-2017, 12:24 PM   #270
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Ok...who else thinks they plan on killing of Peter in Homecoming 2?

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 12:26 PM   #271
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPug View Post
I don't know if they ever formally announced how the partnership works. My understanding is that as the distributor Sony gets all of the box office for the movie and incurred all the production costs. In return for Marvel's assistance with producing the movie they get to use the character in Disney distributed films. I remember reading an article in one of the trades that said Feige was going to waive his producer fee for Homecoming but not sure that was true (I'm sure he at least gets something on the back end assuming it reaches certain numbers).
I dunno... I mean, Marvel has a bunch of their people working many man hours on Sony's Spider-Man movie... I don't see them doing that gratis. Or maybe they're just paid as (temporary) Sony employees?
Old 03-28-2017, 12:30 PM   #272
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

This is getting pretty old........ Tired of seeing Spider-man rebooted, younger and younger. Eventually Peter Parker will soon become Spider-man at the age of 10.....

It is really annoying just seeing Spider-man origin movies.... This version of spider-man doesn't feel like spider-man (Lack of Sarcasm).

They have missed out on so many opportunities to explore the Spiderman universe.... whether that be Venom, Carnage, Myles Morales..........ect.
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 12:37 PM   #273
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Quote:
I dunno... I mean, Marvel has a bunch of their people working many man hours on Sony's Spider-Man movie... I don't see them doing that gratis. Or maybe they're just paid as (temporary) Sony employees?
Yeah anyone working on the movie would be part of the production budget. I was referring to box office returns with Sony getting 100%.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:42 PM   #274
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:

What's interesting to me, is the web hasn't seemed to pick up on this story yet.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 12:44 PM   #275
Turo602
The King of Kings

This whole Spider-Man being a sidekick to the Avengers and relying on Stark bothers me. It defeats the purpose of why I wanted Spider-Man to be in the MCU to begin with and now they're just doing weird stuff with him rather than just having Spider-Man be a self-sufficient hero who's endured his own struggles and became a hero all by himself. I get that the whole teenage Peter hasn't really been explored much in the films, but why do it when the Avengers are already formed?
Old 03-28-2017, 12:48 PM   #276
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Trailer is cute. Looks like a fun movie.
Like this kid's take on Peter/Spidey, and I'm really interested in seeing Keaton's Vulture.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 12:49 PM   #277
sdp
Megan Fox = April

trailer is ok, looks fun and might as well use Tony Stark if they only have two movies of spidey in the mcu, go full on cameos if that's the case. I'm just not excited about the vulture.

I don't get why people are so upset though, we knew it was a deal and if you look at it that way, isn't it better that this deal was made and spider-man was a part of the golden age of the MCU rather than nothing?

It could definitely be for leverage and plans may change, maybe Venom bombing would change Sony's mind. No one really knows what the deal with the two companies was but It's safe to assume Marvel Studios is getting money out of it, they didn't need Spider-Man for the |MCU to be successful and they moved around their own movies to make room for it. Sony is the one who benefited the most and the one who likely worked with Marvel Studios for this to happen so I wouldn't look at it in a pessimistic way.

I still hope for a Hugh Jackman cameo on a MCU film even if he wouldn't "be" wolverine since they don't have the rights, it's the only way to have an x-men in a MCU movie without any legal problems since he'd just be playing a character without a name in the cameo.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 01:02 PM   #278
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Ok...who else thinks they plan on killing of Peter in Homecoming 2?
That would be Stark's ultimate Come-to-Jesus moment, wouldn't it?

- Start a civil war in the Avengers over the death of a teenage boy
- Stupidly recruit a teenage boy to help out
- Kid gets killed being a super hero

It would be the one thing powerful enough to finally tear away his obnoxious ego.

Quote:

**** off Sony. There's a reason your awful, failing company has had a highly negative public perception for the past five years, and it's because you make the least intelligent, least entertaining, least marvelous deals and projects known to man. Your bowing down to Marvel wasn't "selfless", it was a way to keep your head above water for just another couple years. Crappy ASM movies, crappy Ghostbusters, crappy Smurfs, sure-to-be crappy Venom; where does the list end?

Last edited by TheSkeletonMan939; 03-28-2017 at 01:10 PM.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 01:10 PM   #279
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
trailer is ok, looks fun and might as well use Tony Stark if they only have two movies of spidey in the mcu, go full on cameos if that's the case. I'm just not excited about the vulture.

I don't get why people are so upset though, we knew it was a deal and if you look at it that way, isn't it better that this deal was made and spider-man was a part of the golden age of the MCU rather than nothing?

It could definitely be for leverage and plans may change, maybe Venom bombing would change Sony's mind. No one really knows what the deal with the two companies was but It's safe to assume Marvel Studios is getting money out of it, they didn't need Spider-Man for the |MCU to be successful and they moved around their own movies to make room for it. Sony is the one who benefited the most and the one who likely worked with Marvel Studios for this to happen so I wouldn't look at it in a pessimistic way.

I still hope for a Hugh Jackman cameo on a MCU film even if he wouldn't "be" wolverine since they don't have the rights, it's the only way to have an x-men in a MCU movie without any legal problems since he'd just be playing a character without a name in the cameo.
This is a great outlook on the situation and I agree.

Not having Spider-Man exist in the MCU was a huge deal for me. It just didn't feel like my "true" Marvel Universe.
Now that he will have had a large part in the MCU, following Homecoming and Infinity War, I have the piece of mind I wanted. So even if the deal ends, I'm happy that this is a Marvel Universe with a Spider-Man in it.

Heck, if he does go back to Sony, they can truly experiment with him and we may end up with the best of both worlds.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 01:41 PM   #280
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
It's evidence that Sony still just does not get it. This rushing headlong you see them doing with Venom and Black Cat is exactly what they will do with Spider-Man once they pull out of the MCU. It's what they did with ASM2 as well, which cost them quite a pretty penny in the end.

I did very much enjoy seeing Spidey in Civil War, but the reason I and others are annoyed by this is because none of us trust Sony to do the web-head justice. Between ASM2, Ghostbusters, and no doubt the upcoming Emoji Movie, the company is a complete laughing stock. For them to so boldly imply that they'll be making Spider-Man movies on their own after 2019 (because we all know that's exactly what they'll do) can only be met with laughter and ridicule given their track record.

In one of the leaked 2014 emails, some Sony high-up noted that the company was viewed as "the bad guy" by the public when it came to Spidey. That's because it's always depressing to see someone have a really nice toy and then break it constantly. That's what Sony does almost time they produce a Spidey movie these days - they damage the property's value.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cubedagesquickly, cuck_blade, homecucking, iron man 7, spider-cuck, spider-man