The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 10-14-2019, 09:00 PM   #941
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
That is totally fake.
That's why said "allegedly".

I know you're a little slow TigerClaw but try to keep up, m'kay?

Last edited by TurtleTitan97; 10-14-2019 at 11:16 PM.
TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 10:32 PM   #942
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Looks nice but a bit cartoonish. Like not the style of cgi they were using I mean. Probably not real anyway.

If I may vent a little. I’m very tired of waiting for him to be revealed...again. Ive tried to guess for when they might show the next trailer and nothing.

First I thought August because it was 6 months to February and the first trailer was 6 months before.

I thought maybe after the Terminator trailer because that had a special date so I understood why that’d come first and it’s also Paramount.

Then I thought NY Comic Con or afterwards to not be overshadowed by any of those announcements and also not to “step on their toes”.

Paramount’s other movie called The Rhythm Section was also delayed and only recently got a full trailer which is the 3 month period to that release.

Soooo. The absolute shortest time a movie can be promoted is 3 months apparently. That could mean Sonic might not be shown til around November 14.

That would be 6 months from delay to update. It makes sense and honestly I don’t blame them for holding out after how people reacted.

Sure they could at least show a picture of him but they might think...well you crapped all over our work and we changed him for you so now we’re gonna wait til we’re good and ready.

Plus being delayed and retooled is out of the norm. I know movies get delayed for different reasons but thats what I mean it turned into a whole situation.
Old 10-15-2019, 04:36 AM   #943
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
Looks nice but a bit cartoonish. Like not the style of cgi they were using I mean. Probably not real anyway.

If I may vent a little. I’m very tired of waiting for him to be revealed...again. Ive tried to guess for when they might show the next trailer and nothing.

First I thought August because it was 6 months to February and the first trailer was 6 months before.

I thought maybe after the Terminator trailer because that had a special date so I understood why that’d come first and it’s also Paramount.

Then I thought NY Comic Con or afterwards to not be overshadowed by any of those announcements and also not to “step on their toes”.

Paramount’s other movie called The Rhythm Section was also delayed and only recently got a full trailer which is the 3 month period to that release.

Soooo. The absolute shortest time a movie can be promoted is 3 months apparently. That could mean Sonic might not be shown til around November 14.

That would be 6 months from delay to update. It makes sense and honestly I don’t blame them for holding out after how people reacted.

Sure they could at least show a picture of him but they might think...well you crapped all over our work and we changed him for you so now we’re gonna wait til we’re good and ready.

Plus being delayed and retooled is out of the norm. I know movies get delayed for different reasons but thats what I mean it turned into a whole situation.
Yeah definitely looks too cartoonish. And it doesn't match everything when you put that next to the live action actors.

I didn't buy this image the moment I saw it. People are so desperate that they will believe anything that's posted on Social Media.

We'll see the redesign if and when Paramount releases a new trailer.
Old 10-15-2019, 04:41 AM   #944
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
We'll see the redesign if and when Paramount releases a new trailer.
Things leak. Your lord and masters can't dictate everything.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 04:52 AM   #945
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Things leak. Your lord and masters can't dictate everything.
All those leaks don't even add up. If you look at the recent one. You can see a Mouse Cursor between Sonic. That is most definitely something that was photoshoped.
Old 10-15-2019, 05:16 AM   #946
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Quote:
Yeah definitely looks too cartoonish. And it doesn't match everything when you put that next to the live action actors
Sonic ought to be more cartoonish, as for putting it next to the live action actors, so what? Some of the most memorable movies of the 80s and 90s (Roger Rabbit and Space Jam) had fully animated characters posing next to live-action actors.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 05:32 AM   #947
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Well I think it is actually from the studio just maybe not the final redesign. All the pics leading up the first time didn’t really match the trailer or posters. Could be close though.

If it is I’m pretty surprised they made such a massive change. I was thinking they’d just tune him to look a bit more game-ish like increase his eyes and such. This would be a full blown redo.

Makes me wonder even more how it affects the merchandise.

As for fitting into the real world. Can’t really go by the pics alone. I don’t think he’s too cartoonish just more so than I thought they wanted to go. I’m sure he’ll look good either way.
Old 10-15-2019, 07:57 AM   #948
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

I still feel that the whole "design" fiasco could set a horrific precedent going forward.

If given to the wrong hands, movies ( and other forms of entertainment/media, ) could be subjugated to the whims of an increasingly violate/inconsistent audience on social networks/websites.

Lack of moderation and increase in social instability, especially online, could make creators feel alienated in their quest to provide entertainment while keeping their artistic vision intact. Communication, particularly unregulated, could easily be distorted, exaggerated, or even faked. Nonetheless, creators could feel pressured/threatened into altering their creation, while giving up their original vision in the process.

Someday, they would have to completely give up their artistic freedom. They would no longer be able to create/invent new material; entertainment, or hell, pretty much anything, would be stifled or reversed. It will feel stagnant.

That's ... a pretty depressing thought. I don't want this movie to become the precursor/harbinger of that thought.

Last edited by Papenbrook; 10-15-2019 at 08:52 PM.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 03:03 PM   #949
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Sonic ought to be more cartoonish, as for putting it next to the live action actors, so what? Some of the most memorable movies of the 80s and 90s (Roger Rabbit and Space Jam) had fully animated characters posing next to live-action actors.
You're missing the point. The filmmakers want Sonic to be as real as possible. Like he exist in our world. He's not gonna look like some cell shaded character. They are going to do what they done with Detective Pikachu.
Old 10-15-2019, 03:46 PM   #950
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

At this point, I actually feel bad for Fowler. I'm sure he didn't mean for it to come to this.
Old 10-15-2019, 04:53 PM   #951
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Ben Schwartz just tweeted this.
https://twitter.com/rejectedjokes/st...28291277803520

A Sonic director, producer and actor getting real excited for February.

Its interesting that he tweeted that the day after the leaks. So do you think a new Trailer is soon?
Old 10-15-2019, 05:37 PM   #952
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

We must be getting new content soon.

We're on the edge of our seats.
Old 10-15-2019, 07:42 PM   #953
raph27
Mad Scientist

Quote:
You're missing the point. The filmmakers want Sonic to be as real as possible. Like he exist in our world. He's not gonna look like some cell shaded character. They are going to do what they done with Detective Pikachu.
Live-action Pikachu wasn't ugly as sin though. OG live-action Sonic was based on a real hedgehog, live-action Pikachu wasn't just a yellow-colored mouse, he was Pikachu as we all know and love but with fur.

To be fair, I do think the redesigned Sonic looks pretty decent if it's real. Still can't save the movie though.
raph27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 08:29 PM   #954
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
You're missing the point. The filmmakers want Sonic to be as real as possible. Like he exist in our world.
Which is a bad decision and begs the question of "Why even make a Sonic movie?" if it bears no resemblance at all to the character as we know him.

"Oh, AWESOME! They're doing a Sonic the Hedgehog movie and it doesn't look or feel like Sonic AT ALL! I can't wait to see it!" Why would anyone do that?

And LMAO at "artistic vision" with regards to adapting a licensed children's property to film. There is nothing at all "creative" involved in such an endeavor; these projects are paint-by-numbers toy commercials. That being said, it only makes sense to skew towards the familiar. Otherwise, why bother at all? If you alienate the audience, you don't sell any toys, and the toys (NOT the tickets) are the reason they make these movies. Annoy the audience, they don't buy any plastic. Both of the recent TMNT films (and their non-existent toy sales) proved that in spades.

Frankly, I hope that leak is real. At least it looks, y'know, like Sonic.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 08:57 PM   #955
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

I'm more-or-less referring to original properties/works.

In the near future, an artist will have to alter, or even censor, part or all of their work.

I ... don't want to see that come to fruition.
Old 10-15-2019, 09:33 PM   #956
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Which is a bad decision and begs the question of "Why even make a Sonic movie?" if it bears no resemblance at all to the character as we know him.

"Oh, AWESOME! They're doing a Sonic the Hedgehog movie and it doesn't look or feel like Sonic AT ALL! I can't wait to see it!" Why would anyone do that?

And LMAO at "artistic vision" with regards to adapting a licensed children's property to film. There is nothing at all "creative" involved in such an endeavor; these projects are paint-by-numbers toy commercials. That being said, it only makes sense to skew towards the familiar. Otherwise, why bother at all? If you alienate the audience, you don't sell any toys, and the toys (NOT the tickets) are the reason they make these movies. Annoy the audience, they don't buy any plastic. Both of the recent TMNT films (and their non-existent toy sales) proved that in spades.

I don't really care what he looks like. I just wanna see the movie.
Old 10-15-2019, 11:01 PM   #957
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post

You have the same attitude towards so many movies it’s hard to take seriously sometimes.

This is a 100% perfect example they did in fact care and went the extra mile to create something everyone could enjoy. They literally changed him quite significantly it seems. You’re just plain wrong with this.

Adapting a kids property or any franchise for that matter is not “paint-by-numbers”. That’s an insult to everyone who works on movies based on existing characters.

Is everything not made directly by its creator just a “paint by numbers” project then? No.
Old 10-16-2019, 01:14 AM   #958
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
You have the same attitude towards so many movies it’s hard to take seriously sometimes.

This is a 100% perfect example they did in fact care and went the extra mile to create something everyone could enjoy. They literally changed him quite significantly it seems. You’re just plain wrong with this.

Adapting a kids property or any franchise for that matter is not “paint-by-numbers”. That’s an insult to everyone who works on movies based on existing characters.

Is everything not made directly by its creator just a “paint by numbers” project then? No.
Oh, Jeebus. Give me a reason anyone on God's green Earth is making a SONIC THE HEDGEHOG MOVIE except to sell toys to children. For real, though. And it better be brilliant. Just, the best reason ever.

It's just to sell toys, man. That can be good, bad, or indifferent, depending on your point of view. But holy sh*t, don't be a mark, Mark.

Nobody - NOBODY! - made Alvin and the Chipmunks, Scooby-Doo, Smurfs, or SONIC THE HEDGEHOG into movies for any reason whatsoever except to sell plastic. End of story. Come up with a better reason if you think you can, it's still not the real reason they were made. Again, Good, Bad, Indifferent - facts are facts.

They were not trying to win awards, they were not trying to cure cancer, and they were NOT trying to exercise any kind of "artistic freedom" or "express themselves" in making these kinds of movies. Not one single person. Not ever. Holy sh*t. WOW.

I don't care if you or anyone likes movies that were only made to sell toys, because lots of people do and they can be harmless fun, but you HAVE to admit that's why they were made or else you're simply lying to everyone, most of all yourself. Don't do that. Liars are awful, awful people.
----------------

AND, I wasn't commenting on the "new design" - which might be fake - I was replying to TigerClaw's opinion that it doesn't matter what Sonic looks like, and stating my opinion that his opinion is ridiculous - of course it should matter what Sonic looks like - not commenting on what's in that picture. Because that picture might be fake. Yes, what's in the picture is an improvement on what we saw six months ago, but it might be fake. Thus, I didn't comment on it.

TigerClaw said it doesn't matter what Sonic looks like, and I merely commented on what a terrible, nonsensical thing that is to say. And I think you actually agree with me. You just didn't actually read, or pay attention to, what I wrote. As usual.

Reading Comprehension, kids. I know that it's not generally practiced here, but it IS important.
----------------------

Also, no, you're right, I don't get a boner for every single terrible idea that gets a budget and a release date. You're absolutely right about that. Ideas have to justify themselves for me to become interested in them, and most things don't do that. I have far too much to do to waste my time on things I'm not all-in on. Maybe some of you have more free time than I do, that's your business, but I for one have sh*t to do, and I don't like to waste my time on some things, even if those things may have greater value to you than to me. I fail to see why, in your mind, that makes me a bad person. Don't feel sorry for me, guy; if anything, I'm the one feeling sorry for you. But I don't think either one of us is exactly qualified to pass judgment on how the other one spends their free time. So I'll thank you not to do that.

In short, I'll make you a deal: Don't try and demonize my God-given right to my honest and well-earned cynicism, and in return, I won't demonize your unnecessary forgiveness and enthusiasm for objectively terrible movies. We can make that deal, or we can simply not speak to each other. That's entirely up to you.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 02:16 AM   #959
Wildcat
Foot Elite

@Leo656.

First of all I honestly was not trying to pick on you or start an argument. I’m pretty sure you can tell by my posting I don’t do that. Mainly because I want to be taken seriously and trolling or messing around on forums contradicts that. I’ve seen users elsewhere where they clearly just made an account to rile stuff up or criticize everything.

About the movie. Sonic himself was created to make money, sell the Genesis and compete with Mario. So complaining the movie is somehow more so in-the-wrong for existing makes no sense. Then absolutely nothing should ever be adapted, licensed or continued because...well it’s just a meaningless cash-cow?

Characters become popular and series become franchises. It’s just what happens. They evolve and turn into more than gimmicks. There’s nothing wrong with this-or-that getting made based on those things.

You might think that everyone involved in a given movie gives 0 thought to anything but a paycheck but people actually do care (maybe some more than others). Otherwise what’s the point of getting a job in entertainment?

That goes for most careers. You get a job in that field because you like that field.

I understood what you were saying to Tigerclaw. I think it was just sarcasm saying it didn’t matter how Sonic looked. Anyway I know you were not commenting on the new pictures. My reply to you was about how you turn almost everything into a deception.

Awhile back the director from Dredd, I think, commented on Sonic and criticized the industry in general about not caring enough about fandoms. I just do not see how that applies at all here when they specifically redid him for people.

Will the new design be better? Most likely ya even if it’s not these pics. Although they seem pretty legitimate. Still there is something to be said about letting backlash dictate your work. I agree with Jim Carrey. It depends. Even if it is just a “silly ol kids movie”
Old 10-16-2019, 04:38 AM   #960
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

My biggest issue is how some people think they have complete ownership of a character. Same can be said about TMNT.

I believe that these filmmakers have a clear vision for it. If it doesn't match up with your own vision of Sonic. Then maybe its time to look elsewhere.

I'm at a point where i give zero Fs about any designs. Just make the movie and I'll see it. I'm not the kind of person who just goes out and lash out over the way fictionalized characters look.

I think Jim Carrey is right about all this.