Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 09-25-2019, 06:25 AM   #61
Mutant Ninja Anole
Stone Warrior

Yep predictions were right:

Spoiler:
We’re getting the IDW version of the Splinter/Rat King story

That is, I suspected we were getting a version of the “Splinter alone” story where the Rat King first appeared. It’ll be interesting how this story plays out compared to this one.

As for the other bit, I’m torn from the “Woo hoo more mutants!” Response and need to hastily affirm that Hob did a very bad thing here. Like, completely inexcusable, you just marred and unwillingly mutated a whole host of people. You really think they’re going to just join your cause? You’re more likely to be mauled by the angry mob. I think I could make an argument Hob has crossed the line into full villain here.

EDIT: I should mention a few other bits while I'm here:

Spoiler:
Mikey's cooking skills and charm return. Also, did they have a direct call out to people complaining about Jennika and the '1 weapon rule?' Lol.

Karai's descent continues. Giving Splinter the Cask of Amontillado treatment is sinister beyond giving her opponent a quick and honorable death. Her bad mouthing grandpa Shredder even as Splinter seems to appeal to his old's friend's respect is interesting. Reading a bit of Shredder in Hell...is Shredder going to return to life as a...sort of good guy?

Raph and Leo have the traditional Raph and Leo spat, guy thinking with his heart vs guy thinking with his brain. Guessing by Raph's expression after Hob's mutagen bomb, I'm wondering if this will actually push the brothers back together, with Raph realizing brash, extreme actions are a path to the dark side. Or maybe he'll get on board with Hob I don't know.

Lost in all this: Stockman is Mayor of New York! Shredder and Krang: Dead. Stockman: now rules the city. He really did outplay them didn't he?

And April by proxy is in a position of power too. Seeing her stand up to Stockman, show him she can be as much a chess master as he is, is great. She's been very shrewd so far, and mostly without making any major moral compromises. It was interesting, even after warning him that she has the means and is willing to ruin him the second he steps out of line, that she offered to be on his team, admitted she liked working with him, and thinks he's actually doing good things for the city. She...honestly has good chemistry with him. That smirk by Stockman at the end...is that the first time we've seen Baxter show admiration for anyone other than himself?

Last edited by Mutant Ninja Anole; 09-25-2019 at 08:33 AM. Reason: added some thoughts
Mutant Ninja Anole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 11:04 AM   #62
CyberCubed
Overlord

Very little Karai in this issue. I feel like Jennika got used to being a mutant turtle too quickly but I guess it is what it is.

Interested in seeing where Baxter’s campaign goes and it seems like Bishop just recruits more and more people.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 12:36 PM   #63
TomWaltz
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technogeek29 View Post
Nobody gonna point out that April stumbling upon the Turtles is like in the first movie before Charles came? Down to how the Turtles save Leo are sleeping and April in a Robe?
Good catch! That scene is inspired by the first TMNT movie. But that's not all...

I asked Michael to draw April's fancy new apartment a certain way, based on a certain scene from a certain other TMNT movie.

Here's a hint: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHJiU88TS0c

Cherry picking and mashing up TMNT historical goodness... it's what we do!!!

Talk soon...

Tom W.
TomWaltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 12:43 PM   #64
Mutant Ninja Anole
Stone Warrior

Interesting!

I confess I didn’t read the Oral History portion at the end my first time and therefore missed the updated New York map, which shows where the bomb was detonated, right in the middle. Is this going to be an Inhuman terrigan mist thing with the bomb’s gas expanding and spreading over a larger area?
Old 09-25-2019, 12:52 PM   #65
ChosenOne
Banned

Action, not words, so I'll keep this short and sweet: damn good issue!
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 01:02 PM   #66
Sophie Campbell
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

I'm just happy I don't have to keep the awesome MUTAGEN BOMB a secret anymore.
Sophie Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 01:24 PM   #67
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

For Ninja Notes

Oh my god that issue hit the spot!!! I loved all of that, a whole lot. Super stoked for things to ramp up even more now on the way to #100. If I recall correctly, both #99 and #100 will be double-length right? AND we’ll see the conclusion to Shredder in Hell before the year is out! Next year is gonna be a banner year for the Turtles with a whole new status quo in effect!

Last edited by ProphetofGanja; 09-25-2019 at 01:32 PM.
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 01:37 PM   #68
CyberCubed
Overlord

Did the mutagen bomb really affect that many people though? Detective Lewis and Hun and Bishop were right in the vicinity and they didn’t get affected because they were behind cars or rubble or whatever. It looked like only about 10-12 people got mutated.

If they wanted to mutate a whole block of people it should have effected everyone in the area including Hun, Kara, etc
Old 09-25-2019, 01:46 PM   #69
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Did the mutagen bomb really affect that many people though? Detective Lewis and Hun and Bishop were right in the vicinity and they didn’t get affected because they were behind cars or rubble or whatever. It looked like only about 10-12 people got mutated.

If they wanted to mutate a whole block of people it should have effected everyone in the area including Hun, Kara, etc
Hun mutating into a literal papa bear and Bishop mutating into a tiny, angry koala would've been crazy.
Old 09-25-2019, 01:49 PM   #70
daggio
Foot Soldier

I was wondering this as I was reading, but where is Seymour in all this? A few issues ago, I thought he was gonna help Lindsey with Jennika, but he never went with her and we haven't seen or heard of him since.
daggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 02:08 PM   #71
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by daggio View Post
I was wondering this as I was reading, but where is Seymour in all this? A few issues ago, I thought he was gonna help Lindsey with Jennika, but he never went with her and we haven't seen or heard of him since.
Herman was also missing, oddly enough as he's Hob's other right-hand man.
Old 09-25-2019, 02:38 PM   #72
daggio
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
Herman was also missing, oddly enough as he's Hob's other right-hand man.
I realized that also when the attack started. I was surprised since Herman and Ray are Hobs go to guys for that kinda thing. Maybe there will be an explanation next issue...speaking of, now it seems to make sense why Bebop and Rocksteady say hello NYC, since they will probably be able to walk freely soon enough.....not that their appearances ever stopped them from walking around
daggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 02:46 PM   #73
CyberCubed
Overlord

Also Leatherhead hasn’t appeared since that one panel cameo. At the start of this arc
Old 09-25-2019, 02:49 PM   #74
neatoman
Emperor

So how is Hob going to cope with having made mutants of human origin? He was pretty hard against it.

And uh... what's the chance Bishop and Hun are just going crush most of these victims with the Slash clones?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 02:51 PM   #75
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
So how is Hob going to cope with having made mutants of human origin? He was pretty hard against it.

And uh... what's the chance Bishop and Hun are just going crush most of these victims with the Slash clones?
He was pretty hard against it before. I guess it suits his purposes much better now.

Bishop wouldn't do that, it's a heavily televised and otherwise still public event. He's working for the US government. Terrible optics.
Old 09-25-2019, 03:00 PM   #76
Mutant Ninja Anole
Stone Warrior

Hob’s speech seemed to suggest he thought of it as punishment, making them feel the terror they’ve felt. Realistically though, if he wants mutants to take over the world he needs to make more of them. I do wonder if there’s another shoe to drop here with the nature of the bomb.

One does also wonder if he could have gone the more diplomatic route how many willing mutants he would have had. Not that that would have fit his personality.
Old 09-25-2019, 03:20 PM   #77
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutant Ninja Anole View Post
Hob’s speech seemed to suggest he thought of it as punishment, making them feel the terror they’ve felt. Realistically though, if he wants mutants to take over the world he needs to make more of them. I do wonder if there’s another shoe to drop here with the nature of the bomb.
Hob effectively just created a minority. And we all know how that sort of thing goes in the world these days. Why fight a war with his handful of soldiers when he can have the new mutants fighting it for him with PR and optics? It's particularly important that they be humans-turned-mutants and not former animals, because that way they have built-in rights and can't just be rounded up or disposed of, as no doubt Bishop would've argued for otherwise. They'll have to be treated as people despite their difference, and in time their ranks will grow more and more, until the whole world becomes what we saw in Turtles in Time #4. Or at least Manhattan will. Hob didn't start a war with this; he won it.
Old 09-25-2019, 03:50 PM   #78
lonewarrior20
Mad Scientist

Quote:

Who's to say there's not more mutagen bombs around the city?

"If the sun comes up tomorrow, it is only because of men of good will. That is all there is between us and the devil."
Kenny O'Donnell

https://www.deviantart.com/lonewarrior20 my fan comic/episodes of the lost season, weird ideas and my collection pics
lonewarrior20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 03:52 PM   #79
CyberCubed
Overlord

All I can say is thank goodness the next two issues are double length, because there's no way I could see them wrapping up the bulk of these story plots in just 2 more issues. I mean of course stuff will continue in issue #101 and beyond, but at least the bulk of the main story points should come to a close.
Old 09-25-2019, 04:02 PM   #80
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
All I can say is thank goodness the next two issues are double length, because there's no way I could see them wrapping up the bulk of these story plots in just 2 more issues. I mean of course stuff will continue in issue #101 and beyond, but at least the bulk of the main story points should come to a close.
Honestly, I'm having a hard time figuring out how they'll be wrapped in (the equivalent of) four more issues... Starting to think Karai and Bishop will never cross paths, which is an absolute shame.