The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 12-06-2021, 04:13 PM   #1
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Movies that haven't aged well?

Off the top of my head, "The Gate" and "Wanted." Both I remembered being way cooller than they ended up being on a new watch.

Also, I enjoyed H20 and Halloween: Resurrection way more the first time around. Now they seem pretty pedantic.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 05:20 PM   #2
IMJ
Emperor

Wouldn't mind sitting through "Dark City" again here soon. Used to love that flick - it was brilliant. Wonder how it's aged?
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 05:32 PM   #3
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Several 007 films?
Anything featuring Kevin Spacey?

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 12:59 AM   #4
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
Wouldn't mind sitting through "Dark City" again here soon. Used to love that flick - it was brilliant. Wonder how it's aged?
For something new you might check out the director's cut of it. I'm not sure it's better but it feels very different. Also I'd say either one aged fine... there isn't a lot of hokey CGI to date it too much.
Old 12-08-2021, 09:02 AM   #5
MrPliggins
Foot Elite

Back to the Future part 2 and any movie that has shown an inaccurate future which has since passed.
MrPliggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 10:10 AM   #6
mrmaczaps
Banned

Its a TV movie, but Knight Rider 2000. No guns, some kind of sound gun for police and freezing criminals before Demolition Man did it...
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 10:26 AM   #7
frank_one
Mad Scientist

I wonder if there are movies that age so well that they are better today than when they were released.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 03:36 PM   #8
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_one View Post
I wonder if there are movies that age so well that they are better today than when they were released.
That accounts for most Ray Harryhausen flicks, Kurt Douglas' Spartacus, Blade Runner and A Christmas Story.
Old 12-08-2021, 03:40 PM   #9
CyberCubed
Overlord

Pretty much every "action" movie from the 80's-90's is hilariously campy nowadays, not that that's a bad thing. I love cheesy action movies, moreso than serious action movies, but at the time they were written as "serious" movies.

It's kind of like when you watch Batman '89 now. At the time it was considered a very dark, gritty and serious Batman movie. You watch it now, and it's a fun movie, but it comes across as a fun comic book movie and doesn't feel dark at all.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 04:16 PM   #10
joe-eyeball
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_one View Post
They Live is better now. When it came out it was an indictment on Reaganomics but watching it now and seeing the parallels of our current government is quite astounding!
joe-eyeball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 04:18 PM   #11
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe-eyeball View Post
They Live is better now. When it came out it was an indictment on Reaganomics but watching it now and seeing the parallels of our current government is quite astounding!
Or "Demolition Man," for sure.
Old 12-08-2021, 04:24 PM   #12
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

The Love Guru.

I'm surprised people have let John Oliver and Steven Colbert slide for appearing in that movie.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 08:12 PM   #13
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Pretty much every "action" movie from the 80's-90's is hilariously campy nowadays, not that that's a bad thing. I love cheesy action movies, moreso than serious action movies, but at the time they were written as "serious" movies.

It's kind of like when you watch Batman '89 now. At the time it was considered a very dark, gritty and serious Batman movie. You watch it now, and it's a fun movie, but it comes across as a fun comic book movie and doesn't feel dark at all.
Batman '89 has aged incredibly well. I'd say both because the VFX in general were never complex enough to look awful in the first place, and second because it was set in a "mythological" Gotham. Timeless.
Old 12-09-2021, 06:04 AM   #14
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

A lot of movies with racial content and jokes.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 07:12 AM   #15
CyberCubed
Overlord

What I notice most about old movies or TV shows from the 80's and 90's is how often they make fun of gay people. Like they act like "you're one of those?" or "he doesn't like girls he's a homo,"

You would never see these type of lines today. But what's interesting is even the main characters of these movies make these jokes and everyone laughs and smirks so it's not like a side character making a comment.

For all of us who grew up back then when we were kids and teens it's why we all remember when gay people were basically the punchline of every joke. There were homos everywhere back then too just not out in the open. The young zoomers of today will never know how things were back then.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 07:43 AM   #16
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
What I notice most about old movies or TV shows from the 80's and 90's is how often they make fun of gay people. Like they act like "you're one of those?" or "he doesn't like girls he's a homo,"

You would never see these type of lines today. But what's interesting is even the main characters of these movies make these jokes and everyone laughs and smirks so it's not like a side character making a comment.

For all of us who grew up back then when we were kids and teens it's why we all remember when gay people were basically the punchline of every joke. There were homos everywhere back then too just not out in the open. The young zoomers of today will never know how things were back then.
Yeah it's kinda weird, not that it exists, but that's normalized. Like, if they could pull back on the woke leftist sjw backlash long enough to have lines like that today, it would have been said by some minor character that would be used as an example that the person is ignorant or an asshole, or it flat out woulda been a villain character. If it was a good guy, another good guy would correct him. Or there would be something that happens in the movie that corrects that assertion.

But yeah it's surprising back in the day even the main character can get away with acting that way without someone else saying 'that's wrong' or whatever, but I guess that's the way it was. But man, it musta sucked to be part of a group, watch a movie and have that thrown in your face. I can't imagine watching some random movie and have Rocky or hell, the Ninja Turtles make some offhand remark that 'those damn beaners belong on their side of the river' or whatever and it be treated like 'yeah, dude's got a point' instead of 'dude, that's wrong'.

I kinda remember hearing there would be a scene addressing or making up for how common Bill and Ted used the f-slur back in the day when well... everybody did it. I'm thinking it's the scene where Bill extends the hug upon one of his future selves, showing her no longer has a problem with a bro-hug.

To their credit though, the Nerds never seemed to have a problem with having a gay guy in their group, nor do I remember them making fun of him or picking on him.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/

Last edited by Coola Yagami; 12-09-2021 at 10:00 AM.
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 08:09 AM   #17
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPliggins View Post
Back to the Future part 2 and any movie that has shown an inaccurate future which has since passed.
Nah, it's fine:
https://www.businessinsider.com/what...t-tech-2015-10

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 10:10 AM   #18
MrPliggins
Foot Elite

Quote:

A staple of '90s comedies.. immediately springing to mind are "Ace Ventura" and "Baseketball".
MrPliggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 10:34 AM   #19
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
A lot of movies with racial content and jokes.
Those aren't really what I'm talking about. In many cases it would be very strange to have certain movies from the 70s or 80s without a lot of racial content and jokes. I'm talking about more like... movies that SEEMED slick and had a great story and beats once, but now you can see it looks like crap and there wasn't as much to the story or character stuff as you remember.
Old 12-09-2021, 11:41 AM   #20
frank_one
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPliggins View Post
"Ace Ventura"
I've seen it months ago after like 20+ years. It's weird, in a bad way. I have the feeling a good chunk of Jim Carey filmography is not aging well.

It is sad to think about it but I guess every black and white movie is not aged well for the average modern viewer. I love old and "ancient" (silent) cinema, but I'm pretty sure a lot of kids won't see a black and white movie for their entire life.
frank_one is offline   Reply With Quote