The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 12-06-2014, 01:50 PM   #61
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
Not to start an argument but it really annoys me when people say modern movies look too new or shiny. I recently got into a discussion over Jurassic World on imdb.

How do people expect movies to look? Of course they look new. They're made today. Just like 90s looked newer than 80s and 80s looked newer than the 70s etc. It just sounds like more "back in the day" talk when I see this.
It's a stupid blind nostalgia and nothing else. Anyone with rational mind will be able to figure out that its impossible to make movie in 2010s to look like a movie made in 1980s or something. I am not talking about setpieces or effects, just about picture and overall feeling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Everybody "understands" just fine, nobody's F'n retarded. It's just that a lot of people think that when everything on screen is blatantly not there and literally everything but the actor's FACE is some CGI paint job, it really doesn't look very good.
Tell that to so called "old fans" AKA "True fans" AKA "elitists".
Even when they (some of them) nominally understand why its done that way, they still deny it and act like studios doing it out of spite to piss them off.
And I think Wildcat was talking about picture and not only use of CGI.

I can be mildly irritated, when stuff in the new movie don't much one in the past movie without any explanation, but, when it comes to Terminator, there have been so many (unexplaned) changes and retcons, so I don't care about particulars anymore. Just give me plasma guns, blue filter and atmosphere of desperation. Of course, ideally I'd prefer TG to have the same 80s atmosphere as the first Terminator movie, but its impossible, so I take what I can. At least, its not generic desert warfare like in Salvation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
HAH. You and I agree. Really MUST be "Judgment Day".
Don't you worry: I come here not to exlusively disagree with you on something. You are not center of the universe.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 05:23 PM   #62
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
I thought I made it pretty clear what I meant in my comment, but apparently not.

and as a note, it's isn't about CGI, as a 3D modeler and animator, so I of course love CGI.

What I meant, was that as a Terminator film set around the time of the first one, It didn't convey the future we saw in the first Terminator movie (granted we didn't see a whole lot). It's not about "new and shiny" It's about esthetically looking in-canon. each decade have their own idea on how the future will look like, for instance, a lot of modern futuristic movies, the future is very "iPad", sleek, minimal deign and touch screens. The future in the 80's not as much.

And that's why I used Alien Isolation as an example, as they kept the esthetics of the first movie. Yes, it's set in the future, but it's set in a future designed from the late 70's early 80's, small computer screens with only black backgrounds and green letters, cassettes and big clunky radios. They kept the visuals like the original movie, instead of making a futuristic setting with the mindset from the 201x's.

I personally, did not feel that the trailer showed us a similar visual esthetics when it came to the design of the future stuff we saw (like the time traveling machine). The efects are good, but not imo visually and design-wise too much "the future seen by 201x's eyes".

Another example. Imagine that the Millennium Falcon, suddenly had a sleek modern Apple design with touch screens and Siri installed in Ep7, because the movie was made in 2014.
Oh ok I understand. To keep the look of the future as they originally portrayed it.

I really don't think they changed it on purpose or over multiple timelines. I think they just designed the future to make it look more cool.

I mean back in the 80s that's the way they designed it because that's as futuristic as they could make it. It was the stereotypical view of the future just like slick is the way now.

I don't think it's any deeper than that...just now they can make the future fancier and the way society views it nowadays.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:53 AM   #63
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

New Trailer got released, Shows a lot more footage, and a huge twist.

The Twist is
Spoiler:
a new Terminator that looks like John Connor.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:01 AM   #64
Purse Grabbin Puke
Stone Warrior

This is my favorite movie franchise, and it's official dead to me.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:25 AM   #65
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Evil Connor looks awesome.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 10:43 AM   #66
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Wait, I'm confused. Worthingon is Kyle Reese? Wasn't he some cyborg thing in Salvation?
Old 04-13-2015, 11:00 AM   #67
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

I thought Jai Courtney is the actor doing Kyle Reese?
Old 04-13-2015, 11:01 AM   #68
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Wooooooooooooooops I'm dumb. Phone screens are small, you see.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:08 AM   #69
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

At least that's an valid excuse, I've been mixing jeremy Irons and Sam Neill for years...
Old 04-13-2015, 11:11 AM   #70
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
Wait, I'm confused. Worthingon is Kyle Reese? Wasn't he some cyborg thing in Salvation?
No, in Salvation, Worthington was Marcus Wright, and Anton Yelchin was Kyle Reese.
Old 04-13-2015, 05:58 PM   #71
chrisdude
Foot Elite

I was already looking forward to this, just because, but now I'm excited. They took a story where we all knew the beginning, middle, and end, and made it feel exciting and unpredictable, again. I think breaking the cycle was a great idea. Their only option, really.
chrisdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 10:15 PM   #72
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Dang that looks awesome. What a cool way to mix things up.

I too was already looking forward to it but this makes it so much more interesting.
Old 04-14-2015, 07:37 PM   #73
M.O.D.O.K.
Thug

Yeah. Spoiling the twist both killed the suspense for it, yet also could've just renewed curiosity on the movie.
M.O.D.O.K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 12:05 AM   #74
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

Here's the unofficial trailer...

Old 04-15-2015, 02:03 AM   #75
TheCanadiandrome
Big, Bad & Bold

Location: Inside the Technodrome; Shredderville; Saskatchewan
I'm gettin excited more and more for this movie

Add me: PSN/XBL; Nintendo Network ID: BDS-3.1.6; Switch FC: SW-3378-5206-8020

TMNT Fan Club: http://sot.ag/4jZR0

Visit My Wish List:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=30904

My Collection:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=40276
TheCanadiandrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 07:43 AM   #77
Purse Grabbin Puke
Stone Warrior

This movie is an abomination. I LOVE The Terminator franchise, but this looks like the worst one yet. Terminator 3's major downfall was having a serious plot, but making the T-800 a complete joke, and from the looks of the trailer, we're getting another T-800 clown.

I can get behind the idea of Sarah being trained by the T-800 after Skynet tries to kill her as a child, but the actress playing Sarah, and this will probably sound bad but oh well, she's too cute to be Sarah. Sarah who has lived her life training should look like Linda Hamilton in T2, not some cute girl who looks like she's having a hard time holding up a gun.

The problem with sequels is they try and top the last one, and I feel like they're trying to top ALL of them in one movie, and it's going to be confusing, and too much for one movie. They should have just rebooted it, and started over with a new T-800 and Kyle Reese.

I actually think Terminator Salvation was on the right path, the next movie could have been sending Anton Yelchin as Kyle Reese, back in time and you could have essentially rebooted the franchise there.
Old 04-15-2015, 02:15 PM   #78
Leo656
The Franchise

I didn't think Salvation was really that bad. I'd have much rather had more movies set during the actual war, rather than yet another "change the past to fix the future" story. At least for a couple of them; I felt like they hit the panic button and went "reboot" too quickly. I mean, was it really that big a deal that there were no lasers in the "Salvation" future?

I'unno. 3 and Salvation both had their ups and downs, and I have no real problem with either, but this one isn't doing it for me at all. There's just something really cheesy about it. I think it's officially been proven that the whole thing was better off as two movies.

Cue, "Well, it's Hollywood, so of course they were going to make more because money and blah blah blah". I don't care. Everything we've seen since proves that there was no GOOD reason to do more than two of them. First one was pretty good, second one was amazing, and everything since has been various levels of "Eh." I wish people would quit while they were ahead, I really do.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 02:46 PM   #79
shuriken
Second City Shinobi

I'm quite befuddled. Befuddled indeed. I dunno why trailers give you half of the story man. It's just enough info to not want to see but not enough to deter confusion. poop
Old 04-15-2015, 02:56 PM   #80
Purse Grabbin Puke
Stone Warrior

I actually love Terminator Salvation *Directors cut*. I am a sucker for post apocalyptic worlds, and I think Salvation is a realistic take on what the world would look like. They follow canon too, in T3 they find out, the future cannot be stopped, only delayed. So because of the actions of T2, the future was re-written.

T2 is a nearly perfect movie in my opinion, it's part of my "depending on the day" it's my favorite movie rotation. 90's TMNT, Se7en, Big Lebowski and T2 are the 4 movies I consider to be my favorite movie. The new one isn't going to "wreck my childhood" or whatever, but it looks like a poorly slapped together mess, and I am guaranteeing that I will not like it. I will be eyerolling the whole time.