The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 05-23-2018, 10:18 PM   #21
Katie
Just...way too serious.

I’m fascinated by all the truly weird groups that are out on the internet. I like to people watch in real life when I’m in big crowds. The internet to me is like visiting a huge zoo where i can sit back and see some truly weird human behavior. But my rule is to lurk only in those dark places I find. I don’t want to interact, just watch.

I prefer real life communication, but I can’t help reading all these crazy sites with their crazy inhabitants.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:27 PM   #22
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Ever heard of the Dark Web? I am fascinated by what goes in the minds of people who frequent that place.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 04:04 AM   #23
Refractive Reflections
Mad Scientist

The problem with communicating over the internet is that one doesn't have all the social cues as one would have over a in person-to-person normal conversation (in the same room, and not over video conferencing). The tone of the message, the subtle facial expressions, the normally gradual introduction to an individual are all lost in internet and social media communication. So it's difficult to gauge how the person you are talking to is receiving the message you are conveying. Even in video chatting/conferencing, it doesn't provide all of the social and body language cues that would normally be noticed in a person-to-person exchange, as it can be more of a "prepared performance" as both parties have more or less prepared or expected such a conversation beforehand.

One reason that people may be more blunt online is that one does not have to work or interact with them in real life, so interacting with those people can be done at "arm's length" and is an optional experience, unlike real life, in which interacting with people is not so "optional". Therefore the online interaction is almost completely optional (especially with the "blocking" features on today's technology), so an individual can choose which topics, conversations, and online users to involve themselves with. As preferential as that may be to the online individual to find and filter more and more individuals who are "just like me", it can create highly-isolating online niches (and online "echo chambers") that leads a society more toward increasingly fractured interest groups in finding more online friends "like me" and spending more time with them, while barely interacting with the personality, interest, ideological, and socially different neighbors, co-workers, and other acquaintances the individual passes by in the real world each day. Thus, it could explain the societal divisiveness and social awkwardness that have been reported on in today's society. ...Because why would an individual want to spend time with someone who is just that different, when one can spend time with someone who has so many interests & viewpoints just like him/her?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Ever heard of the Dark Web? I am fascinated by what goes in the minds of people who frequent that place.
It's not much a stretch that they would be similar to the criminally opportunistic individuals like within terrorist groups, drug cartels, involved in human trafficking, etc.
Refractive Reflections is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 08:26 AM   #24
Vegita-San
Emperor

I'm about done with internet people for a while.

over on another forum, one of my longest time supporters on issues turned on me over one single topic. basically said 'everyone is right about you' and stormed off the conversation like a 5 year old. after ignoring everything everyone was trying to say cause it didn't agree with him. I wasn't the only one saying stuff he didn't like, but I seemed to get singled out and apparently I hit a nerve somewhere without even trying too. very depressing and even kind of sad. Sure, I didn't know the person in real life. but we had been on friendly terms with support back and forth for at least 10 years. all it took was one topic, and boom. hands washed and 'i'm done with you'...just like that.

then we've got this place. One thing said in jest, and suddenly the crazy insults start flying. people have committed suicide for less said than that. thank god I have a self deprecating, don't care attitude. I can take alot of crap, because alot of it, both in real life and especially online seems to come my way alot.

The really sad part of the online area is that it seems like on most message boards, the mods usually side with the trouble makers because they tend to believe in the same things the trouble makers say. and the ones that don't usually don't have the power to do anything to help fix the situation. on that other board at least, the guy who helped get me banned is loosing support from ALL areas now, and people are starting to see through his act finally and are finally not afraid of going back after him. a little too late for me. but nice to see it finally happening en mass..

and people wonder why message boards are loosing steam. there is acceptable joking around and there is just plain being an ass. need to start weeding the latter out

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 12:03 PM   #25
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refractive Reflections View Post
The problem with communicating over the internet is that one doesn't have all the social cues as one would have over a in person-to-person normal conversation (in the same room, and not over video conferencing). The tone of the message, the subtle facial expressions, the normally gradual introduction to an individual are all lost in internet and social media communication. So it's difficult to gauge how the person you are talking to is receiving the message you are conveying. Even in video chatting/conferencing, it doesn't provide all of the social and body language cues that would normally be noticed in a person-to-person exchange, as it can be more of a "prepared performance" as both parties have more or less prepared or expected such a conversation beforehand.

One reason that people may be more blunt online is that one does not have to work or interact with them in real life, so interacting with those people can be done at "arm's length" and is an optional experience, unlike real life, in which interacting with people is not so "optional". Therefore the online interaction is almost completely optional (especially with the "blocking" features on today's technology), so an individual can choose which topics, conversations, and online users to involve themselves with. As preferential as that may be to the online individual to find and filter more and more individuals who are "just like me", it can create highly-isolating online niches (and online "echo chambers") that leads a society more toward increasingly fractured interest groups in finding more online friends "like me" and spending more time with them, while barely interacting with the personality, interest, ideological, and socially different neighbors, co-workers, and other acquaintances the individual passes by in the real world each day. Thus, it could explain the societal divisiveness and social awkwardness that have been reported on in today's society. ...Because why would an individual want to spend time with someone who is just that different, when one can spend time with someone who has so many interests & viewpoints just like him/her?
Yes. I sometimes struggle with this. Often jokes fly over my head or I don't get immediately that someone was being facetious or joking with me. Because of that, some people end up thinking I'm uptight or super serious.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 12:07 PM   #26
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
there is acceptable joking around and there is just plain being an ass. need to start weeding the latter out
What you're advocating for here is a safe space.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 02:54 PM   #27
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
I'm about done with internet people for a while.

over on another forum, one of my longest time supporters on issues turned on me over one single topic. basically said 'everyone is right about you' and stormed off the conversation like a 5 year old. a
If this is generally happening to you all over the internet on different forums with dozens of different people reacting to you this way....maybe it IS you? Why would completely unrelated people all have the same reactions to the things you say on completely different forums?

I mean let's call a spade a spade. If someone on another forum said, "Everyone is right about you" and you have the same "agenda" there as you post here, I guess everyone is right, it's the things you post that are generally the problem.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 03:01 PM   #28
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

The common denominator in all of your failed relationships is you.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 03:02 PM   #29
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Cubed giving life advice...

Old 06-07-2018, 03:05 PM   #30
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Cubed giving life advice...

https://i.gifer.com/1moW.gif
This is why I love this place.
Old 06-07-2018, 03:08 PM   #31
sdp
-

Internet people

What is this 1991?
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 03:09 PM   #32
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Internet people

What is this 1991?
I couldn't think of a better title for this thread when I made it.
Old 06-07-2018, 03:11 PM   #33
sdp
-

Internauts
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 03:18 PM   #34
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Internauts
That's a term I haven't heard in a long time. Or as we say here "cibernautas".

I also don't recall the last time I've heard/read someone using the "surfing on the internet" term.