The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 01-04-2017, 11:49 AM   #1
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Magic School Bus coming back to netflix

The most influential fashion icon of the 90s is coming back to TV, and we’re not talking about Winona Ryder (although she kind of already has with Stranger Things), Tyra Banks, or anybody who’s an actual flesh and bone human, really: Ms. Frizzle, whose fabulous dresses were as wild as her incredibly immersive, science-heavy field trips, will be making a comeback thanks to Netflix, and this The Magic School Bus reboot will likely happen sooner rather than later (via Good Housekeeping).

It’s not yet clear how much about the new show has changed since it was announced as The Magic School Bus 360° in 2014 and given an ETA of 2016, but at the time, the show was said to be produced with CG animation. These facts have been re-confirmed by Netflix chief content officer Ted Sarandos in an interview with The New York Times, so the show (then slated for 26 half-hour episodes) definitely won’t look like the one you remember.

We do know that the titular bus has been updated with more modern tools and the kids will make use of advanced technologies, like “a smart suit worn by the character Carlos that determines his body’s vital signs instantly.”

The cast has yet to be confirmed, but hopefully Lily Tomlin reprises her role as Ms. Frizzle, which could happen, as producer Stu Stone said many original cast members are returning to the new series. Celebrities like Dolly Parton, Eartha Kitt, Dan Marino, and others made guest appearances on the first series, and Stone said that trend will continue with 360°: “There are tons of cameos planned. I know that there are big stars who want to be involved in this, and there’s a whole generation of people who grew up on this series that want to be a part of it now that it’s back.”

We’ll bring you more news about the new series as it’s revealed, but in the meantime, take a quick nostalgia trip with the original theme song below, and if that’s not enough, the series of our childhoods is streaming on Netflix right now.

http://nerdist.com/seatbelts-everyon...ks-to-netflix/
Old 02-08-2017, 05:24 PM   #2
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/kate...ix-1201981671/

Kate Mckinnon is voicing Ms Frizzle
Old 09-30-2017, 09:54 PM   #3
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

The show is now available on Netflix.

Lily Tomlin reprises her role as the original Ms. Frizzle, but she's a professor now. Her younger sister Fiona is now charge of the class and the bus. Professor Frizzle's role on the series is that:

Spoiler:
She is now taking the producer character's place as the one who answers the phone at the end of the episode to answer questions.

All of the students from Ms. Frizzle's class on The Magic School Bus are now appearing in the sequel series The Magic School Bus Rides Again except for one:

Spoiler:
Phoebe Terese is no longer attending Walker Elementary. In the first episode of the new series, it is revealed that she went back to her old school. In her place is a new student named Jyoti, who is Indian-American. While it's great that this new series to continue to have diversity I'm sure that some fans of the original series will miss Phoebe and there won't be any more of her "At my old school" lines.
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 10:17 PM   #4
Allio
Foot Elite

Without the Frizz? No Way!
Old 10-01-2017, 01:08 AM   #5
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger_scout View Post
The show is now available on Netflix.

Lily Tomlin reprises her role as the original Ms. Frizzle, but she's a professor now. Her younger sister Fiona is now charge of the class and the bus. Professor Frizzle's role on the series is that:

Spoiler:
She is now taking the producer character's place as the one who answers the phone at the end of the episode to answer questions.
Bummer. But in a roundabout sorta way, it kinda works.

Quote:
All of the students from Ms. Frizzle's class on The Magic School Bus are now appearing in the sequel series The Magic School Bus Rides Again except for one:

Spoiler:
Phoebe Terese is no longer attending Walker Elementary. In the first episode of the new series, it is revealed that she went back to her old school. In her place is a new student named Jyoti, who is Indian-American. While it's great that this new series to continue to have diversity I'm sure that some fans of the original series will miss Phoebe and there won't be any more of her "At my old school" lines.
Guess she got tired of making comparisons to her old school and just went back. Watch her come back later because it was too boring over there.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 09:55 AM   #6
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Well I've been following this show closely for a year since the show was originally supposed to come out last year and be in CG featuring new kids and called MSB 360 and I found out it had been delayed but I was extremely disappointed when I saw the trailer, right now I'm watching it right now and I'll be posting my opinions in this thread.

The art-style is awful, makes me feel like I'm watching an expensive flash cartoon or Dora show. I really wish they had gone with CG since the King Kong CG Netflix show they had while a bit boring had awesome CG. The show looks "nice" and clean but the character designs are so uninspiring and generic, I literally can't tell any of the kids apart besides Arnold, and not because he has a good design but it's easy to tell with the glasses, he also gets the most focus. They also got rid of Phoebe to add more diversity to the group if there ever was a show that had enough diversity was this one and the new guy is the definition of bland, he only appears in the background most of the time doing nothing, Phoebe at least had some quirk with her "at her old school" comments. The other students fare a little better at least showing some of their personality from the original show but not by much either, the new art style also sucked most of their personality away. This proves lethal to some of the less developed characters of the original show.

The bus actually has a rather cool design but here it's only been treated as a vehicle without a uniqueness that made him as much of a character as the rest of the students, Liz the lizard doesn't fare better. Ms. Valerie Frizzle is replaced by her sister Fiona who is pretty much the same role and look but younger looking, sadly she seems forced into the Frizzle role and comes off as trying too hard. I do like that the original Valerie Frizzle basically goes on adventures now without the kids, if you don't know Frizzle had a series of books where she did exactly that,s o it's actually sticking to scholastic canon with that

So far they haven't repeated any science from the original show yet and have tackled new topics, sometimes they do a good job and others are a bit lacking but oh well, the intro song being the same made me think it would just remake all the episodes with newer science, which would be fine if it were a reboot but they clearly establish this as a sequel to the originals how.

I also remember in the original version they wanted to focus on technology and their roles in our lives which sounded awesome but so far the only thing I've found is a reference to "blogging" which is hardly new or even relevant now. Apparently the original show has always been a great performer on Netflix which is why they ordered this one, so it's odd it only got 13 episodes. Also odd they didn't pay more attention to make it better, especially since it was even delayed. I'll write more about it as soon as I finish watching it.

Last edited by sdp; 10-01-2017 at 10:05 AM.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 04:56 PM   #7
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Watched the second season of the show which is basically just more of the same. Netflix learned a while ago that they preferred to split seasons of kids shows with Voltron to make the wait shorter of more episodes.

The characters still have little to no personality, the topics and episodes are pretty good for kids, some a bit too complex for younger kids probably. I don't know, I wish we could've gotten the original pitch idea which was a 3D CG reboot with new kids instead of this revival sequel that is bland and boring.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:32 AM   #8
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

I'm going to show more episodes to my students at school since they are enjoying it. From the descriptions of the season 2 episodes, it doesn't look like Phoebe is even making a guest appearance.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:56 PM   #9
ssjup81
Foot Elite

I just found out about this. I was randomly looking up original Magic Schoolbus episodes for some reason. Forgot what episode I was originally trying to recall. Anyway, I saw the first ep of this newer series. It felt like a slap in the face when they said Phoebe went back to her old school. It was weird. The animation style is just weird to me. It feels like the kind of animation you'd use if you're parodying something or something for a gag to make fun of the original. It's a bit jarring.

The kids...um...boring? Guess that's the word. Maybe as the show goes on the kids get more interesting. I did find Arnold annoying, which is ironic because I favored him for the original...but yeah, the kids seem very uninteresting. No heroic Wanda moments or DA being overbearing with her knowledge and stuff like that.

So for those who have watched this show, do the kids show any of the personality traits that the original kids did at any point?
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 11:58 AM   #10
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post

So for those who have watched this show, do the kids show any of the personality traits that the original kids did at any point?
I watched all the episodes so far and no, they sucked all the personality out of all the characters for the most part. It's a bland sequel to the original, just read my previous posts or review here.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:22 PM   #11
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Hey, something I've noticed about the original show and its airings now, they don't show the producers part. It was always some kid calling the show and asking a question about something that happened in the show and the show's producers would answer the question or something like that, from what I can recall. I remember Malcolm Jamal Warner did one of the voices. Any idea why they cut that now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I watched all the episodes so far and no, they sucked all the personality out of all the characters for the most part. It's a bland sequel to the original, just read my previous posts or review here.
I just read it. Man, it's too bad that the show doesn't improve as far as characterization goes. It's like the personality was zapped out of all of them. I don't like the character designs either. Like for instance, Wanda. My image of her is a small bundle of energy.

Well, as long as the kids now can enjoy it, then nothing I can say.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:37 PM   #12
sdp
Megan Fox = April

When I re-watched the original show on Netflix it had the producers calls, that was like 2 years ago.

It really is a shame that it lacks the energy, even the original press releases and media made it seem more of a reboot than a continuation and it sounded much more interesting.

The lessons are new and interesting but the show lacks that "fun". I wonder how it'll do on netflix since the original show was always a great performer and that was the main reason to have this show. We'll never know since Netflix doesn't release this information but there hasn't been a confirmation of Season 3 (season 1 and 2 are basically from the same order "first" order so season 2 is just season 1 part 2). But yeah normally these shows were announced before, not sure if Netflix will change that or what.
Old 08-11-2020, 09:09 PM   #13
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Many thought this series came to end in 2018, but a new special was released on August 7 titled The Magic School Bus Rides Again: Kids in Space.

Old 08-11-2020, 09:28 PM   #14
turtle1237
Stone Warrior

You can not replace Ms. Frizzle like that.
turtle1237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 03:25 PM   #15
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Well, I"ll check it out but this show never got renewed, the two seasons was just the first order split in two. I wonder if it's a last way to gather people to watch it so it gets renewed. Best to let it die though unless they want to build hype for the movie they're making.
Old 10-14-2020, 09:53 PM   #16
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Another special premieres on October 20.