The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 01-18-2017, 01:43 PM   #21
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Spoiler:
Pretty good solo issue. I like how Wrm's a collective of worms, makes him a real formidable opponent. I only wish we could've seen more on his backstory, I'm curious where the mutagen came from. Back-up gives some much needed information about Jennika, and, again, I only wish we could see more. Hopefully in the future they revisit Wrm and give more insight on Jennika.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 02:03 PM   #22
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DestronMirage22 View Post
Spoiler:
Pretty good solo issue. I like how Wrm's a collective of worms, makes him a real formidable opponent. I only wish we could've seen more on his backstory, I'm curious where the mutagen came from. Back-up gives some much needed information about Jennika, and, again, I only wish we could see more. Hopefully in the future they revisit Wrm and give more insight on Jennika.
Spoiler:
i'm pretty sure that was the same canister of Mutagen that made Splinter and the Turtles?
Old 01-18-2017, 02:09 PM   #23
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Those last few panels were a good laugh. Slowly coming closer on a tiny cross-eyed flatworm with dramatic monologue
Old 01-18-2017, 02:31 PM   #24
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by myconius View Post
Spoiler:
i'm pretty sure that was the same canister of Mutagen that made Splinter and the Turtles?
Yeah, pretty sure that's what was implied. How many other jars of mutagen have been spilled in the NYC sewers??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
Those last few panels were a good laugh. Slowly coming closer on a tiny cross-eyed flatworm with dramatic monologue
That was pretty funny. It looked so cartoony but flatworms really look like that!
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 03:04 PM   #25
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
Yeah, pretty sure that's what was implied. How many other jars of mutagen have been spilled in the NYC sewers??
that's exactly what i was thinking too.

Spoiler:
i like how they made Wyrm seem like he's always been around, watching from the shadows.
added that extra bit of OOKY to the story!
Old 01-18-2017, 03:39 PM   #26
neatoman
Emperor

Spoiler:
So is it safe to assume Pizza Face, Scratch and Halfcourt won't appear in the future?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 04:37 PM   #27
DrReagan
Mouser

That has got to be the creepiest tmnt issue I have ever read.

Also does Wyrm seriously remind anyone else of Oogie Boogie from Nightmare Before Christmas?

Also loved the Jennika pages. I've loved her since Splinter first removed her mask and spared her life. :3
DrReagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 07:48 PM   #28
ChosenOne
Banned

Creepy little Wyrm story... The guy's awesome, though! I have to say I didn't much care for the way Mikey's face and expressions were drawn, he almost looked straight out of TMNT Adventures with that derpy look on his face (the issue that introduced Jagwar comes to mind as particularly bad), nor the almost immediate way the policewoman accepted his existence and presence in the sewers. She's investigating a kidnapping, just so happens to run into a weird humanoid turtle at the crime scene, and thinks nothing of it? Huh. Might wanna hold back on making her a detective after all.

The best part of the story is the way it ends, and hints at possible future events. Will Wyrm make a reappearance? How would he fare against all four Turtles? If he's been staking out the sewers for so long, does he know about Leatherhead? Will he reach out, whatever his intent? At the very least, those two definitely sound like they could share a therapist.

The Jennika backstory was cool too. I have no idea where her character is going but she reminds me of those kids who joined the Foot to get away from a troubled home in the first live-action movie. Fortunately she didn't serve for long under Saki, and fell into the good graces of a much wiser sensei instead. It's clear she is now taking her calling as a ninja much more seriously. The narration on the origins of Ninjutsu was nice, I had no idea. Always good to learn new stuff (and I've been doing it with TMNT ever since I picked up an issue of Adventures as a kid, so why not uphold the tradition?).

All in all, Universe continues to pull its weight nicely month after month. "Always leave them wanting more", and all.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 07:52 PM   #29
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by myconius View Post
Spoiler:
i like how they made Wyrm seem like he's always been around, watching from the shadows.
added that extra bit of OOKY to the story!
Spoiler:
Which probably means he knows about everything that's been going on. Which is probably part of why he brought up the shellrot. I thought of Donatello when he started talking about that. Come to think about that, I'm a little surprised that wasn't brought up as a concern while Honeycutt was looking after him.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:27 PM   #30
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Spoiler:
Easter eggs in Panda Khan, Sandstorm, and Scratch posters and the Gone With The Wind movie poster as well as the Zoltar fortune teller machine from Big. Also, was the red balloon a reference to Pennywise?

I didn't like the eyes as as dead goldfish and rubber duck instead of the googly bulging eyes he/it known for.

The story itself was well done. Another cop friend? A one-off character?

A different type of mutation melding together hundreds of worms instead of making one humanoid. I wonder why it reacted differently. Will thst beva future plot point?
Old 01-18-2017, 09:00 PM   #31
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
Spoiler:
Which probably means he knows about everything that's been going on. Which is probably part of why he brought up the shellrot. I thought of Donatello when he started talking about that. Come to think about that, I'm a little surprised that wasn't brought up as a concern while Honeycutt was looking after him.
Spoiler:
who knows? maybe Shell Rot could have been one of those in-between panel things as to why they needed the Ooze when treating Donnie's shattered shell?
Old 01-18-2017, 09:59 PM   #32
ChosenOne
Banned

After rereading the issue, I have to ask: what kind of voice did you all imagine Wyrm having? Something like Andy Serkis' Gollum, maybe?
Old 01-18-2017, 10:13 PM   #33
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
After rereading the issue, I have to ask: what kind of voice did you all imagine Wyrm having? Something like Andy Serkis' Gollum, maybe?
i had that garbled voice in my head from the movie Creepshow.

like the father's day zombie.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:17 PM   #34
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
Nah, more deep. Like Tony Todd.

Damn, this was good. I have nitpicks, like the policewoman being so cool with Mikey, but it's nothing major.

I LOVED Wyrm. Especially the close-ups on those terrifying not-eyes. LOVED the dead goldfish in a bag.

The backup, so far, isn't really interesting me. I like the idea of fleshing out Jennika, but just seeing her watching Raph isn't doing it for me. Too passive.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:22 PM   #35
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I actually imagined Brad Garrett's Krang XD .
Old 01-18-2017, 11:56 PM   #36
CyberCubed
Overlord

Both the Wyrm story and back-up felt just like a Tales of the TMNT issue. Really felt like a Mirage story, I enjoyed it.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 07:22 AM   #37
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Easter eggs in Panda Khan, Sandstorm, and Scratch posters and the Gone With The Wind movie poster as well as the Zoltar fortune teller machine from Big. Also, was the red balloon a reference to Pennywise?
the back-up had a few Easter-eggs.

in the flashback when Jenny was at the club in the Mosh-pit
someone was wearing a Misfits shirt, and one of the band members onstage was wearing a Dead Kennedys shirt.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:18 PM   #38
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

The artist nailed it. I like the juxtaposition of these cute little critters with their silly little eyes forming this hideous monster.

Kudos, I say!
Old 01-19-2017, 12:39 PM   #39
ChosenOne
Banned

The way I understand (and Googled) it, the eyes per se are the black dots, not the white areas. Still creepy and funny-looking little critters, though.

After my third time reading the issue, I have to note how remarkably compassionate IDW Mikey is. He actively tried to save a being that just minutes ago was pummeling him through a wall with a mallet and taunting him about a slow death from shell rot... Not only that, but he made a reference to hooking him up with the Mutanimals. Can you imagine the level of chaos Old Hob could wreak if he got Wyrm around to his way of thinking?

And for the folks wondering if those graffiti in Wyrm's inner sanctum preclude this or that character from ever appearing in IDW TMNT, remember, Wyrm himself was depicted on the wall, as he appeared in TMNT Adventures, and he's the main attraction of this story. If anything, it actually makes those other characters more likely to appear in the future.

Also asking myself: why would Jennika keep tabs on Raph specifically? Is she acting under Splinter's orders? If not, then why? Questions, questions... Can't wait to one day be reading issue #65 of Universe, not just the first ongoing, and marvel at how much will have happened between now and then!
Old 01-19-2017, 01:27 PM   #40
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Is there any comprehensive list of Easter eggs? There was at least the Gone With The Wind and Big references and the four toy spray paints. Whilew I am at it what about TMNT#65?