The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 01-17-2020, 02:33 PM   #501
oldmanwinters
Overlord

My copy is on schedule for delivery this evening, so I'm looking forward to it!

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 11:28 AM   #502
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Very impressive book! Should we spoiler tag all reaction comments?

View my sketch work!
Old 01-18-2020, 12:07 PM   #503
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
got mine yesterday!

beautiful book!!!

CONGRATS to all who worked on it!!
Old 01-18-2020, 12:09 PM   #504
myconius
Abby Normal

was there a link emailed for a digital copy as well?

i haven't been checking my emails that thoroughly as of late.
Old 01-18-2020, 05:55 PM   #505
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by myconius View Post
i haven't been checking my emails that thoroughly as of late.
Curious about that as well. I don't actually remember what the "Tiers" included.

Here's my SPOILER thoughts on Origin:

Things that delighted me:
Spoiler:
All the careful call-backs to various loose-ends in Mirage source material. The strength of the book is how intentional it ties into all the Utrom lore from the Mirage history, especially Volume 4 and the Tales of the TMNT V.2 runs. I don't know where Peter Laird, Steve Murphy, et al. were headed with all the dark history of the Utroms and the Professor Obligado stuff, but this seems like a legitimate way to connect all the dots. Almost feels like the J’Gel should have been more essential to the issue rather than just an inconvenient incursion on the way to save the world.

The serious attention given to the old "Ring" story, which I had simply resigned to being a "one-off" (er... "two-off") issue of the Mirage Guest Era before this story dusted it off. I agree that the concept of "The Adversary" was too intriguing to let die, and you tied it all together brilliantly.

I like the overall concept of the proverbial "journey to the center of the universe to touch the divine eye"... reminds me of Star Trek V: The Final Frontier except way better.

Using April's journal as a narration device. Nice callback to v.1 n.11 and a variety of classic Turtle comics.

On that note, having each of the characters see something different when they finally get there. That particular page is a great layout.

The pacing of the narration where we slowly reveal the flashbacks to each crewmate's motivation for the voyage in Arseniy's art style. I think the art style switch helps to sell the effect of flashback. Also, that scene atop the World Trade Center was beautiful.

Seeing the Junk Man and his mate was quite a surprise! I never expected him to show up again, and my brain is too befuddled to even analyze if it made sense within the story, but I didn't know how much I missed him!

Giving Leatherhead's narrative some closure. It seems so appropriate for him (and Dr. X) to go out that way.

Also "Ut!" except it was said by the Triceratons not Leatherhead as in the Archie comics.

The plug for Mike Dooney's Gizmo and the Fugitoid at the very end! Man, I'm gonna have to dust those old issues off and see if it's an organic transition.

And obviously, seeing a new TMNT story with art by Jim Lawson and ESPECIALLY Dan Berger. Arseniy does a real good job, but there's something special about the classics!

Things that felt "off," or unfamiliar to my Mirage-memories:
Spoiler:
I can't reconcile the timeline of Donatello living in Japan prior to "Now" (2006), and then returning the following year (now blind). I thought most of the Mirage Volume 4 era would overlap with that.

For whatever reason, upon first reading I thought page 99 was referencing the Epilogue of 2007 Tales of the TMNT Treasury Edition, the possible "Last TMNT Story," which would in turn transition neatly into the beginning of Odyssey (dated 2105), but I'm guessing the connection was more symbolic than literal?

Leatherhead having such familiarity and affinity for April, as I don't recall them having any interactions in the Mirage-verse, though granted, I supposed anything could have happened in the Volume 2-4 era gap.

Donnatello and Jhanna: I know they had a clear "connection way back in v.1n.13 but I never thought it would get taken to the level of Leonardo/Radical when they have just reunited for the first time in decades. For a turtle, Donny sure moves fast!

Trigog's "Face Turn"... eh, I just hadn't seen enough of him in the issue to believe he would have valued the "Terranoids" above his own commandos and any loyalty he might have had to the Prime Leader. The connection to Zog was interesting, but didn't feel like it was earned. I did like how his return to the Triceraton Republic played out... reminded me of Traximus in the 4Kids show... I believe Trigog will truly Make the Republic Great Again!

Also, why was Trigog more effective without his C.A.S. suit?

Lots of cursing and vulgarities: Not that they are out of line for the source material, but this issue had more frequency and came from some unexpected characters. April probably drops the most, and granted she seems to be under the most stress of all characters... basically past her mental breaking point. But I think Fugitoid said it at one point, and that was quite a surprise.

Also, Fugitoid casually blew away General Blanque a week before the voyage? Woah... that's heavy.

Seems like a single spaceship venturing forth to save the world for certain death of a plague should have had more buildup, but I can't blame you for just jumping into the story. It does seem like the crew is a little too random (Triceratons?) but I think you chose an appropriate cast of charactesr to tell the story.

I'm sure the transformation on page 88 is an obvious reference to something but I just can't place it.

View my sketch work!

Last edited by oldmanwinters; 01-19-2020 at 03:23 PM.
Old 01-18-2020, 09:40 PM   #506
mart43
Mouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Here is the Obligado prelude, restored:

https://yadi.sk/i/kLxxakxG-kPtZQ?fbc...g4UFz6gmoROFgI
Thanks again man and I will be ready for the digital version of Origin when it is released especially the forever war on July
mart43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 11:04 PM   #507
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

As I said, the digital versions will be sent out to everyone due in about a week. I'd prefer everyone's first experience with it to be the physical copy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Things that felt "off," or unfamiliar to my Mirage-memories:
Spoiler:
I can't reconcile the timeline of Donatello living in Japan prior to "Now" (2006), and then returning the following year (now blind). I thought most of the Mirage Volume 4 era would overlap with that.
Spoiler:
Vol. 4 has so far only ever dwelled around 2001, maybe into 2002. It's pretty unlikely that any planned completion of Vol. 4 would suddenly span over 4 years afterward, but possible.

Quote:
Spoiler:
For whatever reason, upon first reading I thought page 99 was referencing the Epilogue of 2007 Tales of the TMNT Treasury Edition, the possible "Last TMNT Story," which would in turn transition neatly into the beginning of Odyssey (dated 2105), but I'm guessing the connection was more symbolic than literal?
Spoiler:
It was literal, but that Treasury Edition story wouldn't take place until many, many years later. "Origin" does try to "set the stage" for that, though. Kind of bridging things between that TE story and the story in "Plastron Cafe" #1.

Quote:
Spoiler:
Also, why was Trigog more effective without his C.A.S. suit?
Spoiler:
It was a little movement prohibitive for him.

Quote:
Spoiler:
Seems like a single spaceship venturing forth to save the world for certain death of a plague should have had more buildup, but I can't blame you for just jumping into the story. It does seem like the crew is a little too random (Triceratons?) but I think you chose an appropriate cast of charactesr to tell the story.
Spoiler:
The idea was that the whole universe is stricken with the cellular disease, not just Earth, so everyone needs to unite.

But yes, I wrestled with how to present the story. Linearly? Begin to end? Then we'd get going by page 30. That's not very energizing.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 01-19-2020 at 03:16 AM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 10:26 AM   #508
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Another thing I liked a lot, regarding April's narrative:
Spoiler:
A definitive last word on both her origin and fertility storylines.
April's health crisis was the large impending crisis during the first two years of Volume 4's storyline which resulted in the reveal about what Baxter had done to her way back in Volume 2, but then her fertility problems took a back seat to the controversial Kirby's Magic Crystal angle, and after that we had a lingering plot thread that seemed doomed to leave April, Casey, and Shadow in narrative limbo until the end of time. Origin basically wraps it all up with a single panel or two, and it's a sufficient answer... "hey, don't sweat it." It gave me flashbacks (surely unintentional since it's Andrew, haha) to The Secret of the Ooze film where Donatello has been stressing out over the apparent random happen-stance of his family's origin being an accidental waste disposal consequence and then we get Splinter's solid line "Do not confuse the specter of your origins with your present worth." Making the simple connection between April's origin and the Turtles' mutation being the same in essence allows the characters to accept the past and move forward into the future with a serene sense of hope. Lawson did a fine job illustrating April's sense of peace in that final panel, which is contrasted against poor Donatello laying down and remembering Kirby's infamous last words "Life at best is..." Just a beautiful and simple way to end that whole thing, giving April a happy ending even as we know things start to fall apart for the Turtles fast. Ah, poor Mikey in that epilogue...

View my sketch work!

Last edited by oldmanwinters; 01-21-2020 at 10:39 AM.
Old 01-22-2020, 06:26 AM   #509
Topsu
Hench Mutant

Just received my copy here in Finland, gotta read it today.
Topsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 11:25 AM   #510
Topsu
Hench Mutant

Just reading this, but I'm just wondering, have these earlier Obligado stories been collected anywhere? I remember reading them back in the day, but I don't have the actual comic books to read. I should also try to get my hands on all of the Tales as well, too bad IDW collections don't have everything yet.
Topsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 04:11 AM   #511
Sewer Turd
Thug

Great Book to go alongside Odyssey..
Here’s hoping we one day get an ultimate Hardcover edition of Origin to go alongside Odyssey 🤞🤓
Sewer Turd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 03:35 PM   #512
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

FYI ~ a digital link has been sent for the .PDF version to everyone owed one. If you're owed one and didn't receive an E-mail, check your junk folder and if still nothing, hit me up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topsu View Post
Just reading this, but I'm just wondering, have these earlier Obligado stories been collected anywhere?
Not combined or anything, but I'm sure you can find at least a few of them in the IDW Tales V2 trades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewer Turd View Post
Great Book to go alongside Odyssey..
Here’s hoping we one day get an ultimate Hardcover edition of Origin to go alongside Odyssey 🤞🤓
That's the plan.
Old 01-27-2020, 06:05 PM   #513
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
FYI ~ a digital link has been sent for the .PDF version to everyone owed one. If you're owed one and didn't receive an E-mail, check your junk folder and if still nothing, hit me up.
got the email for the digital link. thanks!
Old 01-30-2020, 12:48 PM   #514
80gmrp
Foot Soldier

Finally got around to ordering off eBay. Look forward to reading and supporting!
Old 01-30-2020, 06:16 PM   #515
myconius
Abby Normal

did anyone else have someone send them a private message asking to see their digital copy of Origin?
Old 01-31-2020, 07:08 AM   #516
Shedder
Hench Mutant

Digital

Andrew in order to get a digital edition was it a separate pledge from the physical one?
I received my physical one (thanks amazing) but no email of digital?
I have been getting the update emails all the way along.
Just wondering.
Thanks and great work guys
Shedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 09:56 AM   #517
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedder View Post
Andrew in order to get a digital edition was it a separate pledge from the physical one?
That's correct. Though there were perk levels that included both.
Old 02-02-2020, 04:42 AM   #518
mart43
Mouser

I have a doubt, Is it okay I can purchase a digital version only?
mart43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 04:49 PM   #519
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

The eBay was updated. These are the last copies anywhere:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TMNT-Ninja-...y/193320335868

Quote:
Originally Posted by mart43 View Post
I have a doubt, Is it okay I can purchase a digital version only?
Sure.
Old 02-09-2020, 04:57 PM   #520
80gmrp
Foot Soldier

Finally got my own physical copy off eBay. Plan to start reading tomorrow! I'll gladly let you know what I think of it!