The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 07-03-2017, 12:53 PM   #1
Avenger
Thug

When did Batman became the Chuck Norris of all superheroes?

Hello everybody,

I was wondering when Batman get this "aura" of superiority over everyone else.

I know he's one of the most iconic and popular superheroes, but he seems to do everything:

- He knows all 454338 martial arts on the planet
- He seems to out-think everyone, either on a scientist level or a deduction level (as a detective)
- He seems to always be 12 steps ahead of everyone else when a menace comes.

I just don't know at which moment it was decided Batman would be THIS guy. He seems to be the Deus ex machina superhero.

Even the popular catchphrase "Because I'm Batman" prove it: doesn't need other explanation that "it's Batman".
Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 12:56 PM   #2
sdp
-

He already was when I got into comics a decade ago so I'm guessing a long ass time.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 01:14 PM   #3
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Somewhere around the Grant Morrison run on JLA that began around 1997, I think. There simply didn't exist that aura around Batman until then, and even then it took a few years to really cement in.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 01:15 PM   #4
snake
Disgusting

When casuals started liking him at time of Batman Begins' release. This doubled during TDK's release
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 01:24 PM   #5
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
When casuals started liking him at time of Batman Begins' release. This doubled during TDK's release
Nah, that didn't do anything to elevate Batman to the Chuck Norris level. If anything, Begins did the opposite... it humanized him more than ever, made him weak, vulnerable.

Though, perhaps, things like the Nolan movies opened people's eyes to stuff like the Morrison JLA stories. The "Batman will defeat anyone, he is always the smartest guy in the room" started there.
Old 07-03-2017, 01:32 PM   #6
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Nah, that didn't do anything to elevate Batman to the Chuck Norris level. If anything, Begins did the opposite... it humanized him more than ever, made him weak, vulnerable.

Though, perhaps, things like the Nolan movies opened people's eyes to stuff like the Morrison JLA stories. The "Batman will defeat anyone, he is always the smartest guy in the room" started there.
I'm not talking about the movies themselves, but they certainly gave rise to the "BATMAN CAN DO ANYTHING" folk.
Old 07-03-2017, 01:35 PM   #7
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
I'm not talking about the movies themselves, but they certainly gave rise to the "BATMAN CAN DO ANYTHING" folk.
I'm not sure I'm seeing it. The movies are great, but the Christian Bale Batman could barely even fight off dogs. If the "BATMAN CAN DO ANYTHING" thing was born around then, it wasn't because of anything that happened in those movies.
Old 07-03-2017, 01:36 PM   #8
CyberCubed
Overlord

I thought it's been like this since at least the 80's? Even when I was a kid Batman was always the most popular DC superhero.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 01:37 PM   #9
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I'm not sure I'm seeing it. The movies are great, but the Christian Bale Batman could barely even fight off dogs. If the "BATMAN CAN DO ANYTHING" thing was born around then, it wasn't because of anything that happened in those movies.
It's definitely not, but it's certainly when the Batman franchise had the biggest influx of fans since the Burton movie. It's probably unlikely that comic readers only spread this to the point of it becoming fact.
Old 07-03-2017, 01:38 PM   #10
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I thought it's been like this since at least the 80's? Even when I was a kid Batman was always the most popular DC superhero.
Nah. Beyond isolated stuff like the Miller mini-series TDKR and Batman: Year One, there really wasn't that going on anywhere. Batman 1989 certainly kicked in the door for a whole fandom to agree, "Batman is COOL!" but the whole "Batman can beat anyone/he's the smartest man in the room/he is 10 steps ahead of everyone" wasn't even on the radar back then.
Old 07-03-2017, 01:44 PM   #11
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

These days, Batmans even beating superman which I think is ridiculous. As the fanboys say, give Batman enough prep time and he can beat anything.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 01:46 PM   #12
snake
Disgusting

It's pretty funny how "prep time" is often a deciding factor in "CAN BATMAN BEAT GOKU/SUPERMAN/GOD/CYBERCUBED/X" questions.
Old 07-03-2017, 01:47 PM   #13
CyberCubed
Overlord

But can Batman beat Super Saiyan Blue Son Goku?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 02:03 PM   #14
Splinter the boss
Stone Warrior

http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/att...1&d=1499112164
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PaleImpoliteEyas-mobile.jpg (19.7 KB, 26 views)

"I am absolute, lower your head!"
Splinter the boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 02:18 PM   #15
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Batman's been overcompensating for decades, it's nothing new. If anything the Nolan movies tried to humanize the God King of Mary Sues.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 02:23 PM   #16
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

That's a big part of why I never got too into Batman. They always bill him as the underdog because he's just a man, but when his whole shtick is to overcome all odds, then he's never really the underdog.
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 02:23 PM   #17
Splinter the boss
Stone Warrior

I like it though because Batman is pretty much the only mortal in the justice league. Him having such a reputation comforts the fans and pretty much gives him more respect and power. Also he has had many feats that earned him his reputation.

"I am absolute, lower your head!"
Splinter the boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 02:50 PM   #18
TMNT_Guy
Stone Warrior

I'd say the seeds were planted at least as far back as the Adam West Batman series. He always had the right gadget to get him out of a death trap, he always knew that obscure piece of trivia that lead to the villains downfall, he and Robin could takeout a room full of goons with nothing more then their fits, etc. Though I don't think things got completely ridiculous until around the time Batman started keeping detailed lists on how to kill his fellow super heroes should they ever go rouge.

Though "normal man with extreme knowledge, intelligence and fighting prowess" is nothing new. Sherlock Holmes was doing it 52 years before Batman
Old 07-08-2017, 02:49 PM   #19
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

I noticed it a lot in Justice League/Unlimited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 02:54 PM   #20
Ninjinister
無問題

Batman, the Chuck Norris of superheroes? Surely that wouldn't be Merryman?

Tags
cuckman