The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 03-01-2018, 12:03 AM   #41
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Saw tonight's ep, the show's return from hiatus.

Ehhhhhhhhhh...

It's a good hour of television, heavily Black Mirror-inspired. But c'mon. I know there's weird, self-contained X-Files episodes... but generally even in those Mulder and Scully will make some mention of, "Hey, [partner]... isn't this REALLY WEIRD and/or REALLY WRONG, what's going on around us? WTF??" There is no way they would have gotten even 5% into this episode without doing that, but they do. They treat everything in this episode as perfectly normal.

By about the 2/3 mark I was 100% positive Mulder or Scully would wake up in some diner and the whole thing would be a dream. But it wasn't. It was all real.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 12:38 AM   #42
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Saw tonight's ep, the show's return from hiatus.

Ehhhhhhhhhh...

It's a good hour of television, heavily Black Mirror-inspired. But c'mon. I know there's weird, self-contained X-Files episodes... but generally even in those Mulder and Scully will make some mention of, "Hey, [partner]... isn't this REALLY WEIRD and/or REALLY WRONG, what's going on around us? WTF??" There is no way they would have gotten even 5% into this episode without doing that, but they do. They treat everything in this episode as perfectly normal.

By about the 2/3 mark I was 100% positive Mulder or Scully would wake up in some diner and the whole thing would be a dream. But it wasn't. It was all real.
I get they'd have random self contained eps but can they afford many of those with only 10 eps this season. I feel a crammed conclusion coming on.
So long as it's better than that last movie at least.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 10:17 AM   #43
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
I get they'd have random self contained eps but can they afford many of those with only 10 eps this season. I feel a crammed conclusion coming on.
Yeah, totally. I see the last episode of the season is titled "My Struggle IV" so it's the exact same model as last season.

So much this season just seems like a waste of real estate. Some have been good, or middling, or bad, or really bad (and boy, did this season start off with a whopper of a stinker)... but nothing feels like we're getting a real arc, either story-wise or character-wise.

Quote:
So long as it's better than that last movie at least.
I actually didn't mind it at all. What bothered me most about it was that it infuriatingly fell short of the X-Files movie we deserved at that point... which was the big 2012 affair.
Old 03-20-2018, 04:49 PM   #44
newfan
Mad Scientist

I'm on ep 8, I hope 9 isn't another random before the finale, which you guys get tomorrow. Hopefully we'll get a good conclusion seen as we won't be getting any more. I'll still read the spoilers
Old 03-20-2018, 04:52 PM   #45
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
I'm on ep 8, I hope 9 isn't another random before the finale
It's totally just another random ep. There's a couple of Mulder and Scully exchanges disconnected from the rest of the episode near the end that might be meaningful, or might turn out to be nothing.
Old 03-20-2018, 05:03 PM   #46
newfan
Mad Scientist

Kidding, did they run out of story for the main story? Lot to cram in that last ep.
Old 03-20-2018, 05:12 PM   #47
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Kidding, did they run out of story for the main story? Lot to cram in that last ep.
There is a ton to cram into 45 minutes, yeah. Mulder and Scully have to get some kind of reconciliation with William, learn that Smoking Man is the real dad, confront and put down the Smoking Man somehow, exonerate Skinner, prevent the Alien biological agent apocalypse, and then have some kind of happy ending in the midst of this.

I don't see it happening.
Old 03-20-2018, 05:39 PM   #48
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
There is a ton to cram into 45 minutes, yeah. Mulder and Scully have to get some kind of reconciliation with William, learn that Smoking Man is the real dad, confront and put down the Smoking Man somehow, exonerate Skinner, prevent the Alien biological agent apocalypse, and then have some kind of happy ending in the midst of this.

I don't see it happening.
How could they not save at least 2 eps for that?! No excuse there, better at least be a very good 45 rushed minutes. I hope they aren't going to try a cliffhanger in hope that Gillian changes her mind about coming back.

Last edited by newfan; 03-20-2018 at 05:45 PM.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:55 PM   #49
Sumac
Banned

It seems final episode will have a cliffhanger.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 10:48 AM   #50
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Yeah, it sounds like it's going to end on a big, stupid cliffhanger tonight.

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/the-x...s-so-exclusive

"In the same breath, there is a lot of life left in the show. I think you haven’t seen the end.”

Also, Chris Carter has reconsidered his stance on "there is no X-Files without Mulder and Scully." So he may trudge on without Gillian.

Yikes! Stop it!
Old 03-21-2018, 11:49 AM   #51
newfan
Mad Scientist

Ughhhh, so a big cliffhanger which may remain if they don't do anything more with it. As Gillian isn't coming back they will need to tie Scully up, less they turn her into an alien so anyone can play her that would suck.
Old 03-22-2018, 04:10 AM   #52
ZariusTwo
Overlord

So yeah, were they trolling when they said Gillian was done? Or is Scully just going to go off-the-grid and retire to be a full mother when she comes to term?
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 09:47 AM   #53
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
So yeah, were they trolling when they said Gillian was done? Or is Scully just going to go off-the-grid and retire to be a full mother when she comes to term?
We'll never know. Even if Carter recants his "we'll never do more X-Files without Gillian" and does want to do the show without her... I'm not even sure the ratings were enough this season to bring about a season 12. And without Gillian? Even less likely Fox would throw money at such a thing.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 03-22-2018 at 09:59 AM.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:57 AM   #54
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
We'll never know. Even if Carter recants his "we'll never do more X-Files without Gillian" and does want to do the show without her... I'm not even sure the ratings were this season to bring about a season 12. Without Gillian? Even less likely Fox would throw money at such a thing.
We thought it couldn't go on without either of them previously but they did 2 (was it?) seasons without Mulder, wasn't the same though, also it was a strong running series at the time and not something revived years later.
They'd have to come up with something good to get some sort of continuation.

Oh, did you watch the finale Andrew?
Old 03-22-2018, 10:00 AM   #55
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
We thought it couldn't go on without either of them previously but they did 2 (was it?) seasons without Mulder
And they failed spectacularly. In Fox's eyes, that's probably a lesson learned, one they won't be interested in repeating.

Quote:
Oh, did you watch the finale Andrew?
Not just yet.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:07 AM   #56
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
And they failed spectacularly. In Fox's eyes, that's probably a lesson learned, one they won't be interested in repeating.

Not just yet.
A lot of people dropped it after Mulder was gone, I lost enthusiasm too but stuck with it to the end and got used to it enough to do that, but it wasn't the same.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:22 AM   #57
ZariusTwo
Overlord

I tuned in for the Gunmen until they were killed off, then came back for little things like Scully giving up William, Duggan resolving his own arc, and Mulder's return
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 12:49 PM   #58
sdp
-

Haven't watched the revival seasons but they sound like a huge mess just like the last few season of the original run. How did they mess it up when it seemed so simple, a few MOTW episodes and a few mythology episodes without going to deep.

Hell, the real best scenario was if they had brought Scully/Mulder along a new generation and see if that worked, yeah it didn't work the last time they did it but there's a difference between replacing the main actors during their run and having the main actors as mentors in a new show.

The old show also didn't fail because Mulder and Scully left, the mythology of the show had already become a huge mess with Mulder and Scully, I can't remember which season though. The replacements weren't that bad even if they lacked the chemistry of Scully/Mulder, the main problem with the later seasons was that they were still continuing the mythology that had become beyond stupid by that point. X-Files would've worked better if they had left the mythology a little more secret and not explaining every single thing, I easily loved the mythology the most about the show but sometimes showing less is more.

Still, the show created the best character ever in fiction with Cigarette Smoking Man.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 11:32 AM   #59
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Watched the season finale, which will more than likely be the last time we ever see any X-Files again, ever.

Well, it's not as bad as I feared but it's still pretty rotten. Scully doesn't really do anything in the episode other than say
Spoiler:
"I'm pregnant with your baby, Mulder. Somehow."
What happens with Reyes and Skinner is hysterical (it's... I... gah, you just have to see it, especially what Skinner does when a car is coming toward him and about to crash into him... it's like, "What? Why would he do that?") and alarmingly unresolved and I think that's what bugs me the most about this episode.

It's not like a MASSIVE cliffhanger. There are no dark events supposed to happen after this and the central threat is eliminated. The cliffhanging bits (namely, Reyes and Skinner) could have easily been tidied up in a 10 second scene.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:40 AM   #60
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Watched the season finale, which will more than likely be the last time we ever see any X-Files again, ever.

Well, it's not as bad as I feared but it's still pretty rotten. Scully doesn't really do anything in the episode other than say
Spoiler:
"I'm pregnant with your baby, Mulder. Somehow."
What happens with Reyes and Skinner is hysterical (it's... I... gah, you just have to see it, especially what Skinner does when a car is coming toward him and about to crash into him... it's like, "What? Why would he do that?") and alarmingly unresolved and I think that's what bugs me the most about this episode.

It's not like a MASSIVE cliffhanger. There are no dark events supposed to happen after this and the central threat is eliminated. The cliffhanging bits (namely, Reyes and Skinner) could have easily been tidied up in a 10 second scene.
I knew it! When history repeated itself..

Spoiler:
Remember the last time Scully climbed into Mulder's bed because she was sad/unsettled and needed a hug? there came the last pregnancy .... at least this one should be Mulders though This time around I wondered, are we going there again? she's talking about her age too... yeah..

I hate to ask about the Skinner incident ..