The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 10-11-2017, 01:59 PM   #81
Wretched Reptile
Foot Soldier

Yes, I know that man lol. I never tried to suggest he actually died more than he did, but the fake-out description does apply to an extent by trying to suggest he could've been killed or what have you before he truly DID die. It works in narrative terms as a possible death because until they find him stark-raving mad and alive, the Turtles have no proof he didn't die in the S2 finale. Yes, they reassure each other, yes Karai saved him, but only WE as the audience know he's actually alive until they find him - they still aren't certain until that point. So yes, it was already playing off those emotions and using that possibility as a plot device. So I argue that it applies as something of a fake-out, as have others - even if it only applies to the internal narrative POV of the characters themselves.

Same thing applies with him plummeting off the rocks in the underground chasm -
definitely yet another applicable example of them suggesting his death to the other characters even before they fully and finally committed to it.

So, in essence, two arguable fake-outs, two actual deaths, with the second of those being permanent. It's like the showrunners secretly hated Splinter lol. Maybe not (and I doubt it lol), but man was he ever a constant target in this series.

It bothers me most I guess because I think 2012 Splinter will forever be my favorite incarnation from now on. I loved Hoon Lee's performance. I can't see a better Splinter ever coming after his in my lifetime. Which makes how he got batted around like a whipping boy and murdered repeatedly all the more irritating in hindsight. But hey, it's my opinion. I'm entitled to it.
Wretched Reptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:21 PM   #82
drag0nfeathers
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
When they cancelled it!
Can't argue with this one

Thank you to evan2000 for the AWESOME gif! <3
drag0nfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:44 PM   #83
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched Reptile View Post

It bothers me most I guess because I think 2012 Splinter will forever be my favorite incarnation from now on. I loved Hoon Lee's performance. I can't see a better Splinter ever coming after his in my lifetime. Which makes how he got batted around like a whipping boy and murdered repeatedly all the more irritating in hindsight. But hey, it's my opinion. I'm entitled to it.
I agree Nick's Splinter is my favorite incarnation of the character to date. I absolutely loved how he was a more capable fighter rather than being the aging rat or "Yoda" type character he's portrayed as in other series. I also love how he fought as a rat in this show, where he ran on all fours and bit with his mouth and used his tail...this is something most other series never did.

Although I have to say, I do like that Splinter died for real. I have to hand it to the Nick writers, they're the first cartoon that had the guts to kill off Splinter...in a kids show no less. It's quite shocking as much as I liked the character.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 08:48 AM   #84
kelligrafie
Stone Warrior

Worst moment I think was all the immature hateful comments that Dominic Catrambone got for being the in-between for Jason Biggs and Seth Green. Completely unnecessary.

We get it, you miss Jason Biggs, move on. He did.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:54 AM   #85
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelligrafie View Post
Worst moment I think was all the immature hateful comments that Dominic Catrambone got for being the in-between for Jason Biggs and Seth Green. Completely unnecessary.

We get it, you miss Jason Biggs, move on. He did.
I didn't watch the show from that start so missed that, I read Biggs left to do other things but I'm wondering if that's not the case with a post that I've seen on here. Whatever happened with that I imagine wouldn't be the fault of the cover or replacement VA's though.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 01:47 PM   #86
kelligrafie
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
I didn't watch the show from that start so missed that, I read Biggs left to do other things but I'm wondering if that's not the case with a post that I've seen on here. Whatever happened with that I imagine wouldn't be the fault of the cover or replacement VA's though.
Well we don't really know because neither Biggs or Nickelodeon officially addressed it.

But we think it's to do with the fact that someone at Nickelodeon had a twitter feed put onto the official website and it included Jason's profile and he posts really crude stuff. Parents complained about it even though technically it wasn't Jason's fault. He probably never asked to be put on the official Nickelodeon site and it is his twitter so he can post whatever he wants within reason.

About halfway through season 2, he just disappeared. Dominic Catrambone was hired to fill in the rest of season 2, trying to mimic Jason's voice but it was really obvious it wasn't Jason and he started getting a load of abuse for it. Not to his 'face' as it were but people were being really nasty over social media, complaining about the new voice.

Then Seth Green took over in season 3, with Leo having a throat injury written into the series overall story line to explain the sudden voice change. He got some stick for it but not as much as Dominic.
Old 10-14-2017, 02:06 PM   #87
CyberCubed
Overlord

Dominic only voiced him for the last 4 episodes of Season 2. His first ep was, "A Chinatown Ghost story" and he did that plus the other 3 Season 2 eps. Leonardo didn't even have that many lines because he's knocked out for most of the Season 2 finale or doesn't talk during the Foot fight, and in the Chinatown episode he was posessed.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 02:30 PM   #88
newfan
Mad Scientist

Thanks for that Kelligraffie, I did think it odd that Biggs didn't complete season 2, if it had been that he chose not to do it anymore.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 03:02 PM   #89
Aaronardo
Mad Scientist

"We're takin' the heart and you're goin' to jail!"

Still gives me a chuckle today.

Aside from that, Annihilation: Earth is a pretty fun episode in its own right but most of my potential rewatches are killed by those last two minutes with Fugitoid randomly showing up and Casey's notorious "this is so awesome!!" Single most infuriating moment in the entire show for me.
"The Biosites have almost finished healing my flesh." - Shredder
"Because we're takin' the heart and you're goin' to jail!" - Donatello
Aaronardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 03:06 PM   #90
Konchadunga
Stone Warrior

Five seasons on, and I still think the worst moment in memory was Turtle Temper; mostly because of Splinter's attitude. Thirty years with this franchise has nailed home that we aren't going to get a Mirage-accurate cartoon of the turtles having the capability to be no-nonsense, classic ninja assassins, but even then, there are sinkholes I'd think this show should sidestep, and this, this was one of them.

I don't have a problem that a kids' show wants to teach that getting your judgement clouded by anger is a problem. I don't mind Splinter being the guy that teaches it. But I do call total, bipedal mutant bull on Splinter thinking that teaching the lesson justifies giving the turtles greater exposure to the rest of the world, when in the very last episode he knew that the Foot Clan would be coming to track them. I'm sorry, but self-preservation should have taken priority over being polite in that case.
Old 12-30-2017, 01:26 PM   #91
Donny's computer84
Thug

Overall I thought the show was good however, the last few episodes left a few things open. They did not follow-up on some of the mishaps on some of the characters during the show. example what ever happened to the Pulverizer or some of the other things that were not addressed in later episodes.
Donny's computer84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 01:36 PM   #92
Powder
So tired of this place

Mutagen Man was killed in the fight club, we saw his broken casing at the pit's bottom.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 02:51 PM   #93
neatoman
Emperor

When April's dad was cured by a single drop of retromutagen, after they had already made a big deal about only having two canisters, which could have easily cured everyone who tried to steal it, if not all victims shown up until that point. That was really stupid.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:55 PM   #94
Gunpowder
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Dominic only voiced him for the last 4 episodes of Season 2. His first ep was, "A Chinatown Ghost story" and he did that plus the other 3 Season 2 eps.
He voiced Leo for the last 7 episodes of Season 2, starting with "Pizza Face."
Old 02-08-2018, 09:05 AM   #95
Shiro Kame
Foot Clan Mutant Renegade

There's a lot of these moments for me; especially when Mikey or Season 4-5 Casey is involved. They really show that the writers cannot write a good story, or at least keep it entertaining to end. They rush s*** and make characters come off as stupid when it suits them.

Shiro Kame is offline   Reply With Quote