The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old Today, 03:14 PM   #841
Igglet
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
Well, yes, that's the general idea. We can have our cake and eat it too, and these are just two examples of how that could be implemented. I'm sure a company full of comics professionals can come up with a much better execution of the concept than I ever could. This series prides itself on continuity, and starting the numbering over completely without some clear visual acknowledgement of the previous 100 issues would go against that.

At least that's how I feel, but fortunately much better minds than mine are already working the issue one way or another.
Don't underestimate yourself!

And honestly, it does pride itself on its continuity and that's very important but you also have to keep in mind that there will be over 100 issues of the main ongoing series soon. When a newcomer sees #1, they'll be much more inclined to read the comic than if the saw a #101, at least that's how I see it. It doesn't impact the continuity whatsoever, it just makes it more approachable for new readers I think.
Igglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:01 PM   #842
ChosenOne
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igglet View Post
And honestly, it does pride itself on its continuity and that's very important but you also have to keep in mind that there will be over 100 issues of the main ongoing series soon. When a newcomer sees #1, they'll be much more inclined to read the comic than if the saw a #101, at least that's how I see it. It doesn't impact the continuity whatsoever, it just makes it more approachable for new readers I think.
That doesn't seem to stop a sh*tload of other comics, though. If anything, it's a badge of honor. No other TMNT comic even made it to #75. These guys are well on their way to #100 and already thinking of what's going to happen after that. There's a lot more pride and joy to be felt, even for us fans, when your run makes it to #150 or #200 as opposed to reaching a milestone that it's already hit in the past, if only you hadn't deliberately restarted the count. Plus, what sort of message about your confidence in your comic's quality does it send if you resort to such a contrarian marketing scheme? Like it can't stand on its own two feet without falling back on that sort of device? Will that really pull more readers in past the new #1, or end up driving other potential readers away? Renumbering is a double-edged sword, far from the perfect, foolproof solution I've seen it presented as.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:10 PM   #843
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

It frustrates me seeing such low numbers on the shelves. I would be more inclined to pick up a higher number showing its success than a high volume with a low number. I am just a small percentage though. In my mind I have to go 713 + 53 +xx(60 now) which is 827 to total the real number of the Batman title for example. Legacy of a title shows it strength, but like I said its just me.

Check out the best DC Comics site on the net:
http://new.dcuwiki.net/forums/index.php
Now featuring Ethan Van Sciver!

MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:11 PM   #844
Igglet
Foot Soldier

Quote:
That doesn't seem to stop a sh*tload of other comics, though. If anything, it's a badge of honor. No other TMNT comic even made it to #75. These guys are well on their way to #100 and already thinking of what's going to happen after that. There's a lot more pride and joy to be felt, even for us fans, when your run makes it to #150 or #200 as opposed to reaching a milestone that it's already hit in the past, if only you hadn't deliberately restarted the count. Plus, what sort of message about your confidence in your comic's quality does it send if you resort to such a contrarian marketing scheme? Like it can't stand on its own two feet without falling back on that sort of device? Will that really pull more readers in past the new #1, or end up driving other potential readers away? Renumbering is a double-edged sword, far from the perfect, foolproof solution I've seen it presented as.
I can get behind the badge of honor argument, but I do have to disagree with the rest.

But it's not about the quality. As I said before, I only got into the IDW run when it got to around #70. I loved what I saw of it, TMNT has always been my favorite franchise but I was very close to not getting into it because, holy crap, 70 ISSUES. It might've just been me, sure, but I'd lie if I didn't say that I never thought I'd actually get around to catching up with the run (though I vastly underestimated my thirst for TMNT comics).
Old Today, 04:16 PM   #845
ChosenOne
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
It frustrates me seeing such low numbers on the shelves. I would be more inclined to pick up a higher number showing its success than a high volume with a low number. I am just a small percentage though. In my mind I have to go 713 + 53 +xx(60 now) which is 827 to total the real number of the Batman title for example. Legacy of a title shows it strength, but like I said its just me.
This. Exactly this. Thank you for that.

Quote:
I can get behind the badge of honor argument, but I do have to disagree with the rest.

But it's not about the quality. As I said before, I only got into the IDW run when it got to around #70. I loved what I saw of it, TMNT has always been my favorite franchise but I was very close to not getting into it because, holy crap, 70 ISSUES. It might've just been me, sure, but I'd lie if I didn't say that I never thought I'd actually get around to catching up with the run (though I vastly underestimated my thirst for TMNT comics).
All of the mainstay Marvel comics (and DC's as well, I'm sure, though I don't follow theirs nearly as much) are well on their way to reaching #1000. That's not a typo: #1000, not #100. And still going strong, with new readers jumping on every week. The Walking Dead is on its way to #200, adding new readers all the time. More recently Invincible ended just shy of 150 issues and everyone said it could've gone on for at least twice that. Good, strong comics like we all know this one is aren't afraid to show the road they've trod to get where they are. Renumbering, at least in my opinion, is the same as faltering and admitting a fundamental flaw with your product. IDW TMNT is one of, if not the, best comic out there these days. It doesn't need those cheap thrills to attract an audience.

You also underestimate yourself - and by extension, the casual/semi-casual comic reader crowd - if you think you couldn't get just as hooked by a series in its 150th issue as you could by a series in its 5th.
Old Today, 04:29 PM   #846
Igglet
Foot Soldier

Quote:
This. Exactly this. Thank you for that.

All of the mainstay Marvel comics (and DC's as well, I'm sure, though I don't follow theirs nearly as much) are well on their way to reaching #1000. That's not a typo: #1000, not #100. And still going strong, with new readers jumping on every week. The Walking Dead is on its way to #200, adding new readers all the time. More recently Invincible ended just shy of 150 issues and everyone said it could've gone on for at least twice that. Good, strong comics like we all know this one is aren't afraid to show the road they've trod to get where they are. Renumbering, at least in my opinion, is the same as faltering and admitting a fundamental flaw with your product. IDW TMNT is one of, if not the, best comic out there these days. It doesn't need those cheap thrills to attract an audience.

You also underestimate yourself - and by extension, the casual/semi-casual comic reader crowd - if you think you couldn't get just as hooked by a series in its 150th issue as you could by a series in its 5th.
I still disagree but I won't get into my reasoning anymore as I feel like we're sort of going in circles here. I wrote my response but I feel like I'm starting to repeat myself here. I do see where you're coming from, I won't mind if they do go with #101, but I still feel like renumbering would be the smarter choice.
Old Today, 04:41 PM   #847
ChosenOne
Mad Scientist

Quote:
I still disagree but I won't get into my reasoning anymore as I feel like we're sort of going in circles here. I wrote my response but I feel like I'm starting to repeat myself here. I do see where you're coming from, I won't mind if they do go with #101, but I still feel like renumbering would be the smarter choice.
At some point we do indeed start going in circles, I feel the same way about my own reasoning.

Even though I'm a perfectionist and completist, and would vastly prefer to transition to #101 over #1 all over again, all I know is I'll stick with this comic until it's over, no matter the solution IDW ultimately decides to go with.
Old Today, 04:45 PM   #848
Igglet
Foot Soldier

Quote:
At some point we do indeed start going in circles, I feel the same way about my own reasoning.

Even though I'm a perfectionist and completist, and would vastly prefer to transition to #101 over #1 all over again, all I know is I'll stick with this comic until it's over, no matter the solution IDW ultimately decides to go with.
Agreed, no matter what happens, I'll still support the Hell out of this comic.
Old Today, 05:38 PM   #849
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Thanks for sharing, Bobby. I understand if you don't want to reveal too much, but would a new #1 require anything else, in your mind? Would it need to signify a new direction or have something fresh on the creative side, or is it really just down to the business of getting new readers in?
Can't say a thing about story/creative direction, sorry!
Bobby Curnow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comic discussion