The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Old 02-15-2018, 01:52 PM   #41
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
I respectfully disagree, now is exactly the time.
You're using this time to be blissfully unaware, heavily indifferent, or even purposefully careless, about the struggles that individuals who are physically, psychologically, mentally, emotionally, and/or intellectually different have within our society.

In fact, you are actively participating in the negative atmosphere that envelopes negative bias around these individuals. You are shrouding them with false stereotypes, microaggressions and misconceptions. You are even making them feel not only unwelcome, but unsafe as well. Please, stop.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 01:54 PM   #42
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papenbrook View Post
You're using this time to be blissfully unaware, heavily indifferent, or even purposefully careless, about the struggles that individuals who are physically, psychologically, mentally, emotionally, and/or intellectually different have within our society.

In fact, you are actively participating in the negative atmosphere that envelopes negative bias around these individuals. You are shrouding them with false stereotypes, microaggressions and misconceptions. You are even making them feel not only unwelcome, but unsafe as well. Please, stop.
Which individuals are we talking about?
Just so we're on the same page.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 01:55 PM   #43
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
As a Federal tax? No, I'm not willing to pay that unless gun laws are leveled across the states.
I'm OK with them being leveled first.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 01:55 PM   #44
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Please, stop making this about you. Stop making this about your own personal views of reality and society.

Now's not the time.
OK, let's cry, be sad and do nothing.

Always solves all problems.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 01:56 PM   #45
plastroncafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I'm OK with them being leveled first.
That's going to be a hard sell to your fellow fans, who are all about a) smaller government, and b) not having to pay for government.
I wish you luck.
Quote:
Quote:
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:02 PM   #46
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
If not now, when?

Your "thoughts and prayers" are far more useless than debating an issue that isn't going away and trying to devise solutions.

We have the power of the vote. If we are not informed, we cannot vote for solutions and people who push said solutions.

So tell us, Purple Kraken... when?
Well, Raph Attack, even if individuals were "informed about solutions" and "had the power to vote for solutions", it still wouldn't solve one of the most prevailing issues that society faces today: accepting, respecting, and caring for people who are physically, psychologically, mentally, emotionally, and/or intellectually different and diverse.

Until that happens, I seriously doubt that society would improve.

Quote:
Which individuals are we talking about?
Just so we're on the same page.
I'm talking about all of them.

Stop making light on such topics, please.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:02 PM   #47
Sumac
Banned

Quote:

Wow, it's like you are reading from a book "Left vocabulary for dummies".

Also, I don't see in this thread people going around saying some negative stuff about potential psychos, save for PC expected stint about "evils of men", which is not so much psychological issue, as social one.

If I understand you correctly you want to be sad about psychos killing people and...? What else exactly?

Quote:
I'm talking about all of them.
Stop making light on such topics, please.
What exactly does it mean?
I don't see people here laughing about it, as well, as I don't see threads making light of psychological problems or whatnot.

It seems you just trying to find some reason to be offended on empty spot and can't find exactly why.
Can you be more clear with what exactly you want to say, without making useless general statements "we should be nicer to each other"?
Old 02-15-2018, 02:15 PM   #48
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Wow, it's like you are reading from a book "Left vocabulary for dummies".
Thank you for your compliment.

Quote:
Also, I don't see in this thread people going around saying some negative stuff about potential psychos, save for PC expected stint about "evils of men", which is not so much psychological issue, as social one.

If I understand you correctly you want to be sad about psychos killing people and...? What else exactly?
No. What I am trying to convey is that the vast majority of people are unaware, indifferent, or don't even care about the bigger realization.

The world is immoral, and it's getting worse by the minute. So many aspects of society have caused this tragedy, and yet many individuals only focus on/ pay attention to a few aspects.

Yes, the regulation of gun control, the socialization of hatred and anger, the corruption of the American governmental system, the protection of American schools and education, the prevention to bullying and discrimination, etc. - they are all important. However, it means absolutely nothing if people are only focusing on a few aspects, or ignoring the most important one. (I will admit, I'm guilty of this as well.)

It's depressing, honestly.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:18 PM   #49
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:

God dammit, I really didn't want to say anything about this...

Look. What do you even think you're doing, or what you're talking about is even doing? It's, realistically, as useless as "thoughts and prayers". "Don't talk about this, it's not the time" is something used to shut down actual discussions of symptoms and causes. It's great that you feel bad for victims and even the people with the mental issues that leads to this stuff, but what is that doing for anyone? It's not a zero sum game. Most people already realize that mental health is an issue contributing too and want that in conjunction. People can keep focus on more than one thing at a time.

I try not to say the obvious about these sort of things, or say "thoughts and prayers" or "feeling bad about the victims" or "the mentally ill are a problem too" partly because, yeah, no duh, of course I feel bad, I'm not a sociopath, partly because I'm tired of all this and partly because it feels as much "making it about me" as anything. It's more for feeling better about oneself than anything. It's outright stating an acknowledgement of things, so it doesn't feel like ignoring it, saying a nice sentiment, then moving on with life until the next one. The people affected sure aren't reading these comments anyway; at best, the only people who are are friends or strangers and unless spiritualism is involved we all know good vibes don't do jack. So who is it benefiting, other than making ourselves feel like we're not terrible people, because we didn't just ignore it? We did the bare minimum. It feels hollow to me.

We can send all the nice thoughts and sentiment we want, and feel bad for mentally ill people who do these things, but it's not going to change a thing and chastising people actually discussing the problems because reasons is about as useless. At least they want something to change. And yeah, talking about it is doing just as little, but dammit, this makes people mad and angry and frustrated because kids are f***ing dying and no one is taking even the most basic of steps to at least try to do anything about it, which would benefit the people dead a lot more than well wishes or thoughts. Maybe talking about it and getting worked up gets people to vote, and maybe something happens. I don't know. But it isn't any less useful than the alternative.

As a side note, even some of the survivors are angry and yelling "do something about this" on social media as well, so, you know, I doubt they'd be too upset.

Quote:
I agree there'd need to be insurance for that, probably on a federal level. That is one raise to taxes I would be happy to pay. No one could expect a student catching an accidental bullet to just be a "whoops!"
Yeah, well, good luck with that, because even having the money to get counselors is gonna be real hard with the sort of budgets this admin wants, much less for armed guards or tax raises to pay for insurance.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...48968?cmpid=sf

As a side note, I can remember being in high school, which is a high stress time and not the fun and games people use rose tinted glasses to think of it as. I can tell you one thing that would never have helped me feel better about the possibility of guns in my school, shooting at people, are guns on the premises all the time. And the way some teachers were - and are, in schools across the country - letting THEM have them sounds like an even worse idea.

It felt screwed up as it was when Columbine happened at the time I was in middle school, going into high school and suddenly my school was all but locked up tight during class hours on top of rule changes.

Last edited by dl316bh; 02-15-2018 at 02:26 PM.
dl316bh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 02:20 PM   #50
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

so first Pappenbrook calls me a bigot and than says i get off on gun tragedies.
Hey Pappenbrook **** YOU worthless Pussy . Maybe if you and the Right would stop with the Thoughts and Prayers and actually did something we could help stop these tragedies

It wouldn't surprise me if Pappenbrook thinks the killer is misunderstood and would take his side
Old 02-15-2018, 02:22 PM   #51
plastroncafe

The ideological purity your striving for is commendable, but in the end it's just not tenable.

Total War isn't possible. A person is limited the the number of battle fronts they're capable of fighting. And if I can be blunt for a moment, it's not your place to dictate to me what hills I should be defending and for how long.

I know my limits, you don't.
It's ablelist for you to assume, so please refrain from doing so going forward.

We were having a productive conversation, free of personal insults and disparagement prior to your engagement.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-15-2018, 02:28 PM   #52
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
No. What I am trying to convey is that the vast majority of people are unaware, indifferent, or don't even care about the bigger realization.

The world is immoral, and it's getting worse by the minute. So many aspects of society have caused this tragedy, and yet many individuals only focus on/ pay attention to a few aspects.

Yes, the regulation of gun control, the socialization of hatred and anger, the corruption of the American governmental system, the protection of American schools and education, the prevention to bullying and discrimination, etc. - they are all important. However, it means absolutely nothing if people are only focusing on a few aspects, or ignoring the most important one. (I will admit, I'm guilty of this as well.)

It's depressing, honestly.
So basically we should be like you - wallowing in depression and self-pity, bemoaning evils of society and at the same time doing and saying nothing, because, it potentially might offend someone.

Have fun then, my brave text warrior. I am sure, dead people will be very happy that some psychos were not offended. You know, it's much more important to not offend anyone, instead of saving lives.

By chance, have you escaped Demolition Man universe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
It wouldn't surprise me if Pappenbrook thinks the killer is misunderstood and would take his side
Actually it sounds like it might be the case.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:30 PM   #53
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

All right.

How about we address the bullying, discrimination, and outright demonization of people who are different a.k.a. not "normal"? Oh now, that might require some actual effort in our not so moral society?

How about we address the public safety of our schools? No, too expensive for capitalism.

How about we stop promoting violence, hatred, and anger towards each other? No, society's too "good" for that.

You know what's sad about the above? It's somewhat easier to apply those things in our society, but we are too selfish to even consider it.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:36 PM   #54
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetofGanja View Post
*18th, sadly
If your'e are talking about the number school shootings that stats is misleading. I would be careful looking at information given who polarizing this topic is, especially bc people tend to mislead stats to push their agenda. One of the so called"school shootings" was an adult who committed scuicide in the parking lot, another was an accidental discharge of an officer's weapon. I will try to find the source to prove my point, but that stat is misleading. But regardless one school shooting is too many.

Quote:
Because there was no shooting during Obama presidency, no sir.

How about not bringing your personal agenda into stuff like this?
This is not a republican or democratic issue imo. Obama had a super-majority congress in his first two years in office and could have passed a law for stricter gun control or probably could have wrote an executive order on the subject. Trump hopefully will do something, but I doubt it.

Also this guy passed a background check and legally purchased this gun...... Unfortunately.....
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 02:38 PM   #55
plastroncafe

"It wouldn't surprise me if they thinks the killer is misunderstood and would take his side."

This is something I'm interested in finding out.
What were his motivations?

Was this something he always wanted to do, but didn't have the skills?
Was it the radicalization by the white supremacist enclave inspired him?

We can put all the guns we want in our schools, but that's still only putting an ambulance at the bottom of the cliff.
We need to build a fence before the drop, and to do that we need to address what was going on with this kid.

The vast majority of these things are done by men/boys.
Why?
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-15-2018, 02:40 PM   #56
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
How about we address the bullying, discrimination, and outright demonization of people who are different a.k.a. not "normal"? Oh now, that might require some actual effort in our not so moral society?

How about we address the public safety of our schools? No, too expensive for capitalism.

How about we stop promoting violence, hatred, and anger towards each other? No, society's too "good" for that.
Yeah, that's wonderful and all, but that's all long term things society's already fighting over and even if it changed tomorrow, would also take a lot of time to settle in our society and have the necessary effects. It sure isn't going to immediately help the next seventeen kids to die. So, you know, you need long term solutions and short term.

As an aside, you're doing the same thing you bemoan - making it about you and your worldview and the like - with your list of what you think are the immediate problems and things that need to be fixed and you're topping it off by getting holier than thou about it, to the point where I just realized that four different people with different opinions, including myself, who are often at odds all over this forum all just agreed, so congrats on making history, I guess.

Quote:
We can put all the guns we want in our schools, but that's still only putting an ambulance at the bottom of the cliff.
I'd argue it's more a gas tanker at the bottom.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:40 PM   #57
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleWA View Post
What is happening now that it seems like there are so many school shootings?

I mean we have always had mental illness. We always had weapons. A person in the 1970s could have easily murdered an entire classroom with two pistols. Or used a hunting rifle as a sniper. If it’s because it’s always in the news and encourages copies I ’m not sure if I accept that because TV, radio and news papers have been popular for decades.

So what is going on? Is it really because of access to weapons, mental health and media?
I think they are just copying previous individuals who also carried out these crimes... imo Monkey see Monkey do sort of things. Columbine has been the calling mark and initial event that has given these people cause to commit mass shooting as well imo.
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 02:41 PM   #58
Sumac
Banned

Papenbrook, actually talks about solutions, instead "stop being mean"? What happened? A Moon eclipse?

Quote:
How not normal we are talking? Like some easily triggered nutcase who attacks people? I don't think anyone can be nice to those people.

Making people well adjusted in society is a responsibility of the parents and teachers. If they don't do their job - than it is mostly lost cause.

Quote:
You know what's sad about the above? It's somewhat easier to apply those things in our society, but we are too selfish to even consider it.
"We are"? Collective responsibility is always the best answer ever. Who is at fault? EVERYONE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl316bh View Post
As an aside, you're doing the same thing you bemoan - making it about you and your worldview and the like - with your list of what you think are the immediate problems and things that need to be fixed and you're topping it off by getting holier than thou about it, to the point where I just realized that four different people with different opinions, including myself, who are often at odds all over this forum all just agreed, so congrats on making history, I guess.
Precisely.
But when PB makes it about herself, it's all right for she is the holiest and most righteous and have vague answers for every problem in form "take hands and sing kumbaya".
But when someone dare to provide some thought - they are evil bigots who demonize psychos.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:50 PM   #59
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Quote:
Papenbrook,
But when someone dare to provide some thought - they are evil bigots who demonize psychos.

THANK YOU

Old 02-15-2018, 02:52 PM   #60
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemer View Post
I think they are just copying previous individuals who also carried out these crimes... imo Monkey see Monkey do sort of things. Columbine has been the calling mark and initial event that has given these people cause to commit mass shooting as well imo.
That's at least part of it and Columbine is probably the flashpoint, but I don't think it's just copycat stuff. Mass shootings, in and out of schools, have exploded in recent years. I suspect that, over time, people just realized it's a hell of a lot easier to wreck havoc with guns, especially given how lax the country is with them, than bother with things like car bombs or the like anymore. That along with the usual societal issues that have simply compounded over time.