The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Books, Comics, and Other Literature

Notices

Old 04-03-2016, 12:23 AM   #1
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
Good-Bye DC Comics!!! it's been real!

having been a loyal fan of DC Comics for years now i’ve been tolerant to so many disappointments, but lately they’ve been really pushing it!

but as Pop-Eye once said - “THAT’S ALLS I CAN STANDS, AND I CAN’T STANDS NO MORE!”

these mandatory one-shot tie-ins, mini-series, and cross-over after cross-over….

it’d be one thing if they were actually good? but poorly put together stories, and substandard art,
the quality at DC has gone right down the toilet!!!
(anyone who’s read DC’s ‘Convergence’ last year knows EXACTLY what i’m talking about.)
Convergence was supposed to be a real game changer, yet it accomplished absolutely nothing except duping all the long-time fans.

DC’s latest hoodwink of weekly comics has hit new lows as far as poor over-all quality!

which brings me to the final nail in the coffin - DC’s move to go Bi-Weekly with Rebirth.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/12/...-go-bi-weekly/
http://comicsalliance.com/dc-comics-...-news-details/
http://insidepulse.com/2016/03/28/al...ve-teams-more/

while this is not new at all, the reality of a closing dead-line has forced me to make a difficult (yet logical) choice of dropping my DC books.

the bulk of the DC titles i was buying will now be shipping twice a month, not being able to afford this expense i considered dropping just a few books.

but looking over the solicitations http://www.comicbookresources.com/ar...numbering-more

NONE of it looks AT ALL appealing to me!!!!! i wouldn’t want to buy any of these pitches once a month let alone TWICE!!!

maybe i could have found just one or two books to stick with? but i know all too well they can’t help but screw things up!

so aside from a few creator-owned mini-series, the only two on-going comic tiles on my pull-list are (IDW) Tmnt and Tmnt Amazing Adventures. (and to think i almost dropped Amazing Adventures a few months back?)

it’s going to be weird not having as many books to read on Wednesday, but i won’t get duped into buying rushed substandard comics anymore.

oh well, at least i still have my classics to re-read?
Old 04-03-2016, 02:43 AM   #2
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Sensible thing for your wallet mate. If the quality of the premises doesn't appeal to you, it's best not to invest. Give independent titles a try.

I don't buy much DC books and I don't Marvel books anymore either, I just read them on 4chan's storytime threads.
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 04:39 AM   #3
Powder
So tired of this place

Indie's definitely the way to go.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 04:41 AM   #4
Commenter 42
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
What are you reading right now? (Indies I mean)
Commenter 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 06:13 AM   #5
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Sensible thing for your wallet mate. If the quality of the premises doesn't appeal to you, it's best not to invest. Give independent titles a try.

I don't buy much DC books and I don't Marvel books anymore either, I just read them on 4chan's storytime threads.
yeah, you've probably heard me say before, that i'd given up on collecting Marvel Long ago?
but i do look for anything Mark Millar writes, even though he sometimes publishes under under Marvel's 'Icon' label.
i really enjoyed 'Super Crooks' as well as 'Nemesis'. and i don't really recall who published Garth Ennis's 'Red Rover Charlie'? but that also was a lot of fun!

Grant Morrison also writes some great stuff! 'WE3' is among my favorites!
but i'm still not sure just what they heck 'Nameless' was about?

but now that i won't be bogged down with too many DC titles i can finally give Grant Morrison's 18 Days a proper read?

as soon as DC announced their greedy little plan to pilfer all over their fan's wallets, my first inclination was to drop everything and just call it a day!

but when you're already so deeply invested in SO many stories, it's so hard to turn away from that! it's almost like cutting off all communication from a friend. it's a bit hurtful!
BUT if that friend is secretly a "frenemy" that's just using you and taking advantage, then you really have no choice but to get out of that destructive relationship.

and i've seen first have just how awful DC's weekly comics were!
as bad as their comics have gotten, i truly believe they are about to get a WHOLE lot worse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
yeah, i don't know if they really count as Independent? but i try to look for creator owned mini-series that seem like the writer truly had an inspired idea.

some of the biggest problems with with BOTH Marvel and DC Comics is it doesn't feel like a creation of passion or inspiration.
their motivation just seems very greed oriented to me.
but i left Marvel many years ago as well as DC for the very reason i'm about to drop DC again for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commenter 42 View Post
What are you reading right now? (Indies I mean)
i'm not sure if this is truly an independent or not?
but i've recently fallen in love with this series by French creator Jean-Francois Di Giorgio called Samurai.

http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=54797

some criticize the story for not being overly original.
but what's really left that's original these days anyway?
it's all been done at some point before?

but if you enjoy a good Martial Arts story, that one is a LOT of fun!
Old 04-03-2016, 09:55 AM   #6
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

I'd still check out the monthly Scott Snyder Batman title... we can probably count on that being decent. That's my plan, anyway...

Oh, and Red Hood. NOT.
Old 04-03-2016, 10:08 AM   #7
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
I'd still check out the monthly Scott Snyder Batman title... we can probably count on that being decent. That's my plan, anyway...

Oh, and Red Hood. NOT.
i was going to get the Snyder Batman but i've decided to just wait for any collected editions IF i do get anything?
the paper stock they use for their comics is crud anyway.

plus by that time there will be plenty of reviews out.

the biggest problem is comics just don't hold any value these days!

sure you may get lucky here and there? but hype only lives for so long before people find another bandwagon to hop on.

New 52 Detective Comics #1 used to sell like hot-cakes!!!

now you can't GIVE them away!!!!
Old 04-03-2016, 10:14 AM   #8
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by myconius View Post
i was going to get the Snyder Batman but i've decided to just wait for any collected editions IF i do get anything?
the paper stock they use for their comics is crud anyway.

plus by that time there will be plenty of reviews out.

the biggest problem is comics just don't hold any value these days!

sure you may get lucky here and there? but hype only lives for so long before people find another bandwagon to hop on.

New 52 Detective Comics #1 used to sell like hot-cakes!!!

now you can't GIVE them away!!!!
New 52 Detective Comics had SOME storylines I liked. I loved the Poison Ivy/Clayface story. Also the "Emperor Penguin" story. Other than that... yeah, that was it for me.

Now, New 52 The Dark Knight was just the worst. THE WORST. Not one good story.
Old 04-03-2016, 10:35 AM   #9
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
New 52 Detective Comics had SOME storylines I liked. I loved the Poison Ivy/Clayface story. Also the "Emperor Penguin" story. Other than that... yeah, that was it for me.

Now, New 52 The Dark Knight was just the worst. THE WORST. Not one good story.
holy cow was New 52 The Dark Knight a stinky steaming pile!!!!

i found the Emperor Penguin mildly entertaining at first, but it just became a bit silly after a while.

the Wrath story seemed interesting? but i don't know if i was just dazzled by the pretty art???

gothtopia was rubbish!
Old 04-03-2016, 11:16 AM   #10
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
holy cow was New 52 The Dark Knight a stinky steaming pile!!!!

i found the Emperor Penguin mildly entertaining at first, but it just became a bit silly after a while.

the Wrath story seemed interesting? but i don't know if i was just dazzled by the pretty art???

gothtopia was rubbish!
Emperor Penguin became rubbish when Ogilvey or whatever his name was turned into a supermutant. That was just dumb... if he had stayed human, it would have been much more interesting.

But Clayface and Poison Ivy as husband and wife (or are they) was just amazing. I wish we could have gotten an entire TPB's worth of issues out of that idea.

Wrath was a little too paint-by-numbers for me... it was okay but forgettable.

Gothtopia was indeed stinking festering rubbish.
Old 04-03-2016, 02:38 PM   #11
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
Emperor Penguin became rubbish when Ogilvey or whatever his name was turned into a supermutant. That was just dumb... if he had stayed human, it would have been much more interesting.

But Clayface and Poison Ivy as husband and wife (or are they) was just amazing. I wish we could have gotten an entire TPB's worth of issues out of that idea.

Wrath was a little too paint-by-numbers for me... it was okay but forgettable.

Gothtopia was indeed stinking festering rubbish.
hahaha!! yeah! Ovaltine or whatever his name was should have never turned in a big blue member of the X-Men!!

i liked the idea of him stealing everything from Penguin, but it was a little too easy. plus he rose to power way too quick and why wouldn't one of the other guys just do him in and steal the main seat?

i did really like the poison ivy clayface story! i liked that clayface much better than what Scott Snyder did by making clayface way too powerful being able to read DNA, and then we forgot ALL about that ability next time we see clayface!

that's one of my biggest problems with the New 52 over all, is they dump it ALL out on the table and then there's NOTHING left!
they burned it all out too quickly! everything had to be SO dire, SO epic ......SO cliched!

wrath was extremely paint by numbers!!! i can't even remember how it ended!

unfortunately i CAN remember how Gothtopia ended!!! but i wish that i couldn't!
Old 04-04-2016, 11:15 AM   #12
TonySiegel
Stone Warrior

Hopefully the first months stuff is good I have alot of those books reserved... don't know how long it'll take me to get through them though... damm you father time!

"...Color or creed, is no need for a man to bleed/ I believe, we all breathe the same seed/ Unless it's diluted, for somethin to intrude it..." - Kool G. Rap
TonySiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:29 AM   #13
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I will continue with Green Lantern and Batgirl in the two books next volume. I will admit though the best stuff I read is outside of mainstream DC and Marvel. IDW's TMNT, Marvel's Star Wars, DC's Batman'66 are the best books in the last few years and none are mainstream big two.
Old 04-04-2016, 01:40 PM   #14
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySiegel View Post
Hopefully the first months stuff is good I have alot of those books reserved... don't know how long it'll take me to get through them though... damm you father time!
at first i was thinking about just going with a few select titles at first. but there was absolutely no titles that i was 100% happy with the solicitations.
so i decided to just leave it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
I will continue with Green Lantern and Batgirl in the two books next volume. I will admit though the best stuff I read is outside of mainstream DC and Marvel. IDW's TMNT, Marvel's Star Wars, DC's Batman'66 are the best books in the last few years and none are mainstream big two.
before the New 52 i used to just buy the batman and gotham related books.
once they did the relaunch i was subscribe to --

Spoiler:

* action comics * aquaman * batgirl * batman * batman & robin * batman dark knight * batwing * batwoman * birds of prey * catwoman * dc presents * detective comics * flash * green arrow * green lantern * green lantern corps * green lantern new guardians * justice league * justice league international * nightwing * red hood * red lanterns * resurrection man * savage hawkman * suicide squad * superboy * supergirl * superman * swamp thing * teen titans * wonder woman
and like 5 other titles that i dropped after 2 or 3 issues.

over time it dwindled down to --

* action comics * batgirl * batman * batman & robin eternal * batman/superman * batman '66 * catwoman * detective comics * grayson * justice league * jla * robin son of batman * superman * superman lois & clark * superman/wonder woman * swamp thing * wonder woman

and now i've got the last few issues of Batman/Tmnt, Grayson, Robin, Lois & Clark * Swamp Thing * Batman Issue #51 and i'm done with DC.

and the only reason i'm buying Batman 51 is because of Greg Capullo!!!

aside from IDW Tmnt and the Nick Tmnt comic i have a few minis series i'm buying -- Grant Morrison's 18 Days * Klaus * Huck * Samurai

those have been really excellent so far!! especially Samurai by Titan Comics!

what really is the funniest thing is DC Comics was making up the bulk of my comic spending!!
but those were the ones i was enjoying the LEAST!!!

i thought about reading reviews and maybe waiting for the trades on some of this rebirth stuff?

but i just know it's not going to be worth the time or money! especially since they are dumb enough to be abusing their creative teams with double ships!

Old 04-04-2016, 03:20 PM   #15
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

When the New 52 set in I dropped Batman and Detective Comics. I was enjoying the run and then it jus stopped. Leviathan Strikes! still did not wrap it all up. I have not read a Batman or Detective Comics ongoing issue since #713 and 881 came out respectively.
Old 04-04-2016, 03:45 PM   #16
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
When the New 52 set in I dropped Batman and Detective Comics. I was enjoying the run and then it jus stopped. Leviathan Strikes! still did not wrap it all up. I have not read a Batman or Detective Comics ongoing issue since #713 and 881 came out respectively.
'Leviathan Strikes' was just the segment in-between (Pre-Flashpoint) Batman Inc #8 and (New 52) Batman Inc #1.

if i'm remembering the article i read about it correctly 'Leviathan Strikes' was originally supposed to be Batman Inc issues #9 & #10, and (New 52) Batman Inc should have actually been issue #11 (and so on)

but that whole stupid New 52 reboot postponed Batman Inc and had it renumbered.

the same exact thing happened with Neal Adams 'Batman Odyssey.
all of this proves is that DC has idiots running the show!!!

how is a casual comic reader supposed to understand any of this garbage with renumbering?

you did wise to drop New 52 'Batman' and 'Detective Comics'!!!!!

the first arc with Batman was decent at first but overstayed it's welcome.
that whole story with the Joker cutting his face off was beyond asinine!!!

don't even get me started on 'Zero Year'!!!

and Detective comics was just trash since the start!!!
the art was pretty! but actually reading the comics could cause severe brain damage! that's partly why i am the way i am today!!!
Old 04-04-2016, 03:49 PM   #17
CyberCubed
Overlord

The only comics I read are TMNT and Usagi Yojimbo.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 03:59 PM   #18
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
'Leviathan Strikes' was just the segment in-between (Pre-Flashpoint) Batman Inc #8 and (New 52) Batman Inc #1.

if i'm remembering the article i read about it correctly 'Leviathan Strikes' was originally supposed to be Batman Inc issues #9 & #10, and (New 52) Batman Inc should have actually been issue #11 (and so on)

but that whole stupid New 52 reboot postponed Batman Inc and had it renumbered.

the same exact thing happened with Neal Adams 'Batman Odyssey.
all of this proves is that DC has idiots running the show!!!

how is a casual comic reader supposed to understand any of this garbage with renumbering?

you did wise to drop New 52 'Batman' and 'Detective Comics'!!!!!

the first arc with Batman was decent at first but overstayed it's welcome.
that whole story with the Joker cutting his face off was beyond asinine!!!

don't even get me started on 'Zero Year'!!!

and Detective comics was just trash since the start!!!
the art was pretty! but actually reading the comics could cause severe brain damage! that's partly why i am the way i am today!!!
Okay, 2 things.

#1. I will take the worst stories of the New 52 (Red Hood by Scott Lobdell) over Batman Odyssey any day. ANY. DAY. Odyssey is beyond garbage, it's intellectual carnage.

#2. I loved Death of the Family (avoiding most of the crossover issues, however, because too much) and Zero Year was a'ight. I liked the Red Hood Gang and Doctor Death, just not Riddler. Riddler was too over-the-top... I prefer a more grounded Riddler. The only thing Scott Snyder has done with Batman that I don't like are the "Superheavy" story and making James Gordon Jr a monster.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:12 PM   #19
PangolinFeets
Mad Scientist

I'm on a break from most superhero comics. They just haven't appealed to me much lately.
I pick up TMNT, Saga, The Wicked and the Divine, Shutter, Nailbiter, and Rat Queens. Lots of good stories out there.
PangolinFeets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 04:16 PM   #20
myconius
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The only comics I read are TMNT and Usagi Yojimbo.
you are a wise comic reader CyberCubed San.

Quote:
Okay, 2 things.

#1. I will take the worst stories of the New 52 (Red Hood by Scott Lobdell) over Batman Odyssey any day. ANY. DAY. Odyssey is beyond garbage, it's intellectual carnage.

#2. I loved Death of the Family (avoiding most of the crossover issues, however, because too much) and Zero Year was a'ight. I liked the Red Hood Gang and Doctor Death, just not Riddler. Riddler was too over-the-top... I prefer a more grounded Riddler. The only thing Scott Snyder has done with Batman that I don't like are the "Superheavy" story and making James Gordon Jr a monster.
hahahaha!!! Lobdell??? that's cold!!!!
now if you'd had said Ann Nocentti, i'd have been like DAAAAAYYYYYMMMM!!!!

ok! i'll admit the writing for Odyssey was most definitely digested hotdogs left 3 weeks in the summer sun!
but i found the art to be absolutely GORGEOUS!!!
sure there were some bits where the inking was a bit messy, but the pencils were beautiful!!

i thought i enjoyed death of the family till i recently tried to re-read it.
Scott Snyder puts in WAYYYYYYYYYYY too much coma inducing dialog!!
the only thing i liked about Zero Year was the Red Hood Gang, after that it was just too much exposition and back and forth for me to want to pay attention to.

that Riddler stuff though.....SO silly!!! especially the giant rock being held by a single thread???
i would have liked Zero Year better had Batman snapped Riddler's neck ala BvS style!!!

UHG!!!! Super Heavy!!!!!! ......Robo-Gordon!!!!!
..... it just seems like they were both sick to death of being on the main Batman book, and were trying to get kicked off the series?

Tags
dc comics, reboot