The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion > Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 06-20-2018, 01:08 PM   #1
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Another movie from Platinum Dunes in the works - new writer hired

Platinum Dunes is still involved but not sure if this new movie is connected to the two previous abominations.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/am...mpression=true
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 01:16 PM   #2
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Here we go again.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 01:17 PM   #3
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Interesting news... Not gonna get my hopes up. I'm used enough to the PD Turtles that I'd be fine with seeing more of them (and dammit I do want more of this Leo I admit), but I'd be very surprised if it was the same version. Still sore of the fact that they should have gotten new writers for this last one...and a bit concerned that this sounds like they're trying to keep in a serious comedy direction. (Or should I say seriously comedic.) Maybe even more-so? (Not familiar with this guy's work.)

But at the very least maybe they've decided that it was them, not the Turtles, who blew it in this last round and they're still a viable franchise.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 01:17 PM   #4
AquaParade
Banned

So many emotions. Definitely surprised Platinum Dunes is still involved. The article mentions a new chairman being with the company. Hopefully that makes some type of difference. I mean, they did release A Quiet Place recently, which seemed to be a step above all their previous releases. Perhaps there is some hope. I'm going to look into this writer they've supposedly hired.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 01:19 PM   #5
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

It's too early to tell anything, but I liked Bad Words for whatever that's worth.
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 01:22 PM   #6
AquaParade
Banned

I suppose it doesn't mean much when a writer is announced this early on. There's still the huge matter of a director being hired and how he feels about the script. Then come the re-writes.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:22 PM   #7
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Oh no... I am not optimistic.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:25 PM   #8
AquaParade
Banned

It's at least worth acknowledging that these are the same producers as before. They seem willing to shift direction when something doesn't pan out.

I saw a Post-Out of the Shadows interview where they stated they thought they had the right ingredients (yikes), but that the audience wasn't there to support it. So they at least know they screwed up. If we are lucky, they'll once again pivot, perhaps accidentally, into something that's actually good.

It's sort of like watching one of those dvd-screensavers, where the logo helplessly bounces from corner to corner, rarely ever fitting perfectly into the edges of the screen. Every once in a while though...
Old 06-20-2018, 01:27 PM   #9
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
It's at least worth acknowledging that these are the same producers as before. They seem willing to shift direction when something doesn't pan out.

I saw a Post-Out of the Shadows interview where they stated they thought they had the right ingredients (yikes), but that the audience wasn't there to support it. So they at least know they screwed up. If we are lucky, they'll once again pivot, perhaps accidentally, into something that's actually good.

It's sort of like watching one of those dvd-screensavers, where the logo helplessly bounces from corner to corner, rarely ever fitting perfectly into the edges of the screen. Every once in a while though...
It'll be kiddie fair. They won't try to jump onto the comic book movie adaptation bandwagon (like they should have done in the first damn place), they'll go for full My Little Pony animated movie broke. Or animated Sponge Bob movie. Or whatever.

It'll be trash. TMNT fans get no respect, and TMNT comics don't get recognized.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:28 PM   #10
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Good analogy.

Come on, you can do it!
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 02:18 PM   #11
neatoman
Emperor

Oh my god, why? I thought we were done! This raises so many questions.

You wanna make another TMNT movie? Fine! But why go with the producers again? Nobody liked the first two and the second didn't even break even, why entrust the same producers a third time? Is this a Fant4stic scenario or some crap? Do they have to make a TMNT movie every 5 years or something? That's the only way I can make sense of this, that or some kind of tax write-off.

The only good(?) news is that the hired a brand new script writer. While he really only has one movie under his belt, at lest it seemed somewhat well received (I guess I'll check it out once I know for whter or not this movie gets made. The weird thing is that he's making Space Jam 2. What's with this guy and writing sequels nobpdy asked for? Anyway, he can't be much worse than the previous writers.

Josh Appelbaum and André Nemec were awful at writing TMNT, the former wrote one single movie before TMNT and the other was basically only involved with television before. Evan Daugherty wasn't much better, though I suspect he or Jonathan Liebesman might have been the reason the first one didn't suck quite as hard. He's not good but Jonathan Liebesman is at least far more experienced than Dave Green, so that might just be it. Not that I want either back in the director's chair.

In terms of writer and director... I don't know... There might not be many critically acclaimed directors who'd want to make TMNT movies, but there's gotta be someone with a track record of OK movies, right? Like a Ron Howard. And maybe you need an experienced screen writer as well (though the previous ones barely qualified) but if they insisted on multiple writers before, why not bring someone familiar with the material. Bring in Tom Waltz or Paul Allor or someone, I have no idea how they're as screen writers but at least then I'd be confident the characters wouldn't annoy me as much.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:21 PM   #12
Technogeek29
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Oh my god, why? I thought we were done! This raises so many questions.

You wanna make another TMNT movie? Fine! But why go with the producers again? Nobody liked the first two and the second didn't even break even, why entrust the same producers a third time? Is this a Fant4stic scenario or some crap? Do they have to make a TMNT movie every 5 years or something? That's the only way I can make sense of this, that or some kind of tax write-off.

The only good(?) news is that the hired a brand new script writer. While he really only has one movie under his belt, at lest it seemed somewhat well received (I guess I'll check it out once I know for whter or not this movie gets made. The weird thing is that he's making Space Jam 2. What's with this guy and writing sequels nobpdy asked for? Anyway, he can't be much worse than the previous writers.

Josh Appelbaum and André Nemec were awful at writing TMNT, the former wrote one single movie before TMNT and the other was basically only involved with television before. Evan Daugherty wasn't much better, though I suspect he or Jonathan Liebesman might have been the reason the first one didn't suck quite as hard. He's not good but Jonathan Liebesman is at least far more experienced than Dave Green, so that might just be it. Not that I want either back in the director's chair.

In terms of writer and director... I don't know... There might not be many critically acclaimed directors who'd want to make TMNT movies, but there's gotta be someone with a track record of OK movies, right? Like a Ron Howard. And maybe you need an experienced screen writer as well (though the previous ones barely qualified) but if they insisted on multiple writers before, why not bring someone familiar with the material. Bring in Tom Waltz or Paul Allor or someone, I have no idea how they're as screen writers but at least then I'd be confident the characters wouldn't annoy me as much.
Do not tempt the god of Fate.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:18 PM   #13
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPug View Post
Platinum Dunes is still involved but not sure if this new movie is connected to the two previous abominations.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/am...mpression=true
When I heard that a new film was happening I was expecting it to go the route that Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy went, which is to make a gritter take on a comic-book property and avoid the humorous and brighter tone of the 1960's Batman TV series that Batman Forever and Batman & Robin had. I just didn't think that Paramount would want to make another film inspired by the 1987 animated series.

However, after reading that a screenwriter for a comedy film is penning the script for this new one and that Michael Bay and Platinum Dunes were still involved I was wrong. I just don't want them to go full-overblown on toilet humor.
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 01:36 AM   #14
The Turtle Terminator
Mad Scientist

I had hope when I read the headline this morning. That hope left as soon as I read "Michael Bay"

Goodbye character development, welcome back Megan Fox
The Turtle Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 06:40 PM   #15
AquaParade
Banned

Even in Mirage, the turtles act like teenagers, at times. Of course they aren't "normal" teenagers, but what does it mean to be a teen other than sometimes acting a little goofy, losing your temper, or being a bit impressionable?
The turtles definitely display aspects of their youth in all renditions of TMNT.

It's a tale of a revenge, but it's also a coming-of-age story.

And yeah, it's in the frickin name.

I love me some adult turtles, such as we see in City at War, but if anyone is planning to make a trilogy of movies or any other long -form story, then yeah, it would be a good idea to start them off with some immaturity, which gives them room for growth.

It's also great to see the turtles being impressionable in regards to the world above ground. I always loved the aspect of the turtles seeing **** on television or hearing lingo through the stormgrates, that they are keen to pick up on. It highlights their isolation and desire to fit into a world they can never be a part of.

I don't think them being teenagers has to equal fart jokes and pepperoni pizza.
It can mean brash attitude and creepy grins while cracking skulls.

The paradox of them being loveable & fun,
yet dangerous as hell is one of the best aspects of TMNT in my mind.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:21 AM   #16
Toxin45
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Even in Mirage, the turtles act like teenagers, at times. Of course they aren't "normal" teenagers, but what does it mean to be a teen other than sometimes acting a little goofy, losing your temper, or being a bit impressionable?
The turtles definitely display aspects of their youth in all renditions of TMNT.

It's a tale of a revenge, but it's also a coming-of-age story.

And yeah, it's in the frickin name.

I love me some adult turtles, such as we see in City at War, but if anyone is planning to make a trilogy of movies or any other long -form story, then yeah, it would be a good idea to start them off with some immaturity, which gives them room for growth.

It's also great to see the turtles being impressionable in regards to the world above ground. I always loved the aspect of the turtles seeing **** on television or hearing lingo through the stormgrates, that they are keen to pick up on. It highlights their isolation and desire to fit into a world they can never be a part of.

I don't think them being teenagers has to equal fart jokes and pepperoni pizza.
It can mean brash attitude and creepy grins while cracking skulls.

The paradox of them being loveable & fun,
yet dangerous as hell is one of the best aspects of TMNT in my mind.
Oh it's way too late for a mirage adaption since it will be a pg-13 movie.
Toxin45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:17 AM   #17
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxin45 View Post
Mirage really is closer to pg-13 than anything else, in my mind. I wouldn't argue with someone who claimed otherwise.

That has little to do with my post though, so hopefully I got my ideas across clearly.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:43 AM   #18
Toxin45
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Mirage really is closer to pg-13 than anything else, in my mind. I wouldn't argue with someone who claimed otherwise.

That has little to do with my post though, so hopefully I got my ideas across clearly.
Fair enough but do you ever get the feeling that Mirage tmnt volume 4 will never get a conclusion?
Toxin45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 10:12 AM   #19
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxin45 View Post
Quote:

There's 0 reason to believe a Mirage-based TMNT movie needs to be R-rated. A PG-13 TMNT movie could even have blood, as long as it's like... Triceraton blood. And apparently beheadings are OK in PG-13 as long as the beheadee is wearing a mask or a helmet so that you can't see their face.

TMNT 1-4 were all PG, and the two PD movies hardly tested the boundaries of their PG-13 ratings.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 04:45 AM   #20
Egon1982
Hench Mutant

Yes the last 2 were crap.
Egon1982 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
just.. why?, kill me now, papenbrook the troll, thedefinitionofinsanity, vote of no confidence