The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 01-12-2017, 10:27 PM   #9821
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

I'm pretty underwhelmed by that presentation.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:48 PM   #9822
sdp
<<-Virtual Dino Raver->>

It was definitely an underwhelming presentation, but if you look at all the stuff they have it's not that bad they just chose to show stuff in a terrible way. I personally think the joycons are amazing. The cost isn't going to help their case at all. They really messed up big time with showing off their console that comes out in 6 weeks. I'm just happy Nintendo is insane and they do whatever the f-ck they want without care of what's going on in the outside world for better or worse. I wrote more about the presentation here http://miscrave.com/articles/nintendo-switch-event/
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 11:17 PM   #9823
Ninjinister
無問題

I like the hardware and a few of the games.

Admin of Turtlepedia. If you have any questions or problems, let me know!

I make video games. Please buy them.
Ninjinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 12:29 AM   #9824
Wildcat
Mad Scientist

Haven't seen the actual conference but Super Mario Odyssey looks awesome.

People saying it's like Sonic with the realistic hub world. That's the first thing I thought of too.

I guess that's the odyssey...his world crosses with ours.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:04 AM   #9825
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Well, I still enjoyed the new Breath of the Wild promo.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 06:18 AM   #9826
The Deadman
Mad Scientist

I'm just sad they didnt add Sonic to Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Last Movie Watched: Truth or Dare (2018.
Last TV Show Watched: Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (S3:E18.
Last Video Game Played: Madden 19 (XBO).
http://bloggerofthedead.blogspot.com/​
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 07:24 AM   #9827
TheBlueTurtle1
Foot Elite

All looked great to me, just hope we get some more Mario Kart Deluxe content, maybe DLC? with Diddy Kong.

So hyped for Super Mario Odyssey. Looking so forward to March when at long last I get my hands on Zelda.

http://jandmdev.deviantart.com/ (My Brother and I have a dev page, I am J, brother is M)
TheBlueTurtle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 08:39 AM   #9828
sdp
<<-Virtual Dino Raver->>

There's plenty of good stuff to be excited about but Nintendo screwed up showing people. They started with the price which was $300 and paid online which did not do any favors as people see it as a late to the party console that's underpowered. Then they showed "waggle" which didn't help people's opinion and that didn't help the HD Rumble announcement which I think can be a game changer. Showing colorful waggle friendly games did not help the situation. Ironically most people would've been happier with the basic hybrid console and wii u ports presentation instead of them showing actual new stuff. The lack of showing more games which they are doing today only solidified that it was a bad conference.

My hype definitely died down but I'm still excited for it, what kills it for me is how expensive everything is. I wanted it to be 250 but I'll admit the HD Rumble makes the 300 easier to swallow. But paying for online kills it for me, I rarely play games and when I do I like being online and not having to pay since I've never done that with Nintendo/PC, I don't game enough to justify it. The storage being 32 is a joke, it really had to be more to make it seem worth it. No announcements on what's going on with account systems/VC and knowing Nintendo never learns doesn't give me confidence to bite the bullet, especially since the system is nearly 400 dollars where I live without any games. I also got burnt with both the 3DS and Wii U with price drops months after it had come out.

I'm thinking about importing it from Japan since it'll be cheaper and it's region free.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 10:58 AM   #9829
The Deadman
Mad Scientist

$300 isnt bad for a launch price, also the Switch isnt region locked so you can get games that arent in the US.

Last Movie Watched: Truth or Dare (2018.
Last TV Show Watched: Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (S3:E18.
Last Video Game Played: Madden 19 (XBO).
http://bloggerofthedead.blogspot.com/​
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 02:01 PM   #9830
TMNT_Guy
Stone Warrior

I didn't watch the presentation, but I did look at the trailers that were released.

I completely geeked out at the Super Mario Odyssey trailer. The other person in my house was actuality worried about me because I just kept screaming. This is the first Mario game I've been excited for since the original Super Mario Galaxy and exactly the kind of game I've been waiting for since Super Mario Sunshine.

I also really liked the Bowser/Bowser Jr. Parental Controls trailer. It's so great to see the Mario cast act like characters again rather then just tools to make a game.

It's cool to see Bomberman again, but I'm disappointed it's not more open 3D like Bomberman 64 or Generations. I'm also not fond of the generic hero voice they gave Bomberman either.

I'm glad to see Puyo Puyo Tetris getting a English release.

Nothing else I saw really interested me.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:45 PM   #9831
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Having all the online functionality be through a phone app, even when at home, is retarded.
Old 01-14-2017, 01:34 AM   #9832
Storm Eagle
Saved by

I tried to preorder at Best Buy's site this morning. Since that didn't work, I tried going to a store later and I was actually able to do it there. I also just ordered the special edition of Breath of the Wild a few minutes ago on Best Buy's site. The only perk I'm interested in is the soundtrack, even if it might not be complete.

The Nintendo NY store in Manhattan was having the live presentation at 11pm last night. I've been to their store for a lot of events, but that hour was just too late for me to be out in the city. Especially when I'd be going back home. I wouldn't have been driving.

I just hope this doesn't turn out to be another NES Classic fiasco and that the stores actually have all of their preorders satisfied.
Old 01-14-2017, 02:27 PM   #9833
Prowler
Emperor

Mario Odyssey looks pretty cool.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 02:33 PM   #9834
Ninjinister
無問題

One of the characters in Arms is apparently named Ninjara.

wat

Admin of Turtlepedia. If you have any questions or problems, let me know!

I make video games. Please buy them.
Ninjinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 02:36 PM   #9835
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

I'm not sure what to think of Odyssey. To me it looks like it's dragging Mario into the most mundane setting: the big city, where he runs through busy streets and plays jump-rope in the park with actual human beings. It doesn't fit well.
There are of course more fantastical areas of the game, but throwing Mario into the city life at all just bothers me.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 02:43 PM   #9836
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSkeletonMan939 View Post
I'm not sure what to think of Odyssey. To me it looks like it's dragging Mario into the most mundane setting: the big city, where he runs through busy streets and plays jump-rope in the park with actual human beings. It doesn't fit well.
There are of course more fantastical areas of the game, but throwing Mario into the city life at all just bothers me.
I like the idea. Maybe it's an alternate world or so he travels to? Like in Sunshine that was set in the Delfino world and not in the Mushroom Kingdom.
Old 01-14-2017, 02:46 PM   #9837
CyberCubed
Overlord

The city is only one world or area anyway, so even if you don't like its not a big deal. All the other worlds look great.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 02:53 PM   #9838
Prowler
Emperor

I'm on the fence with Zelda, though. Looks graphically nice and all but I still don't know what to think of it.
Old 01-14-2017, 02:54 PM   #9839
T-U-R-T-L-E POWA!
Stone Warrior

I pre-ordered mine yesterday morning. They had 20 available and there was probably about 12-15 people or so at the Game Stop I was at. I heard about one GS not far from there though that had people camping at it. I'm a lifelong Nintendo fan and 35 years old. I always get every system though and think the fanboy wars are for idiots. I can't wait to play Breath of the Wild and Odyssey. I am a little miffed that you don't get hearts in Zelda anymore like you used to but I can live with it. March 3 can't get here quickly enough for me.
Old 01-15-2017, 12:40 PM   #9840
Storm Eagle
Saved by

I finally had a look at the presentation last night, and caught the announcement at the end where they mentioned events Nintendo would hold in select North American cities where you could try out the Switch. NYC was one of those cities, and that happened to be today. So I just knew I had to check it out, even on such short notice. I got back from it a while ago, and I'm glad I got a chance to see how the system plays before I could get my own later this year. I got to try most of the play styles and I was mostly concerned about what it would be like to play with the Joy-Cons alone. The analog sticks and the four buttons looked too close together, but I actually found them to be comfortable when I was playing Sonic Mania and Super Bomberman R.

Before I tried any of those, I tried Skylanders Imaginators with the Joy-Cons in their Joy-Con Grip. I basically just fiddled around with it to get a sense of how the Switch generally plays with its general controls, and moved on once I got the hang of it all.

I went to try Just Dance 2017 since I wanted to see how a single Joy-Con felt in my hands. (This was before I played Sonic Mania and Super Bomberman R.) It didn't require pressing the buttons, and I just decided not to play since it only involved moving your body, and I didn't feel comfortable trying to "dance" in front of everyone there.

I also got to play Ultra Street Fighter II, with the Pro Controller. I didn't even know was going to be one of the games for the Switch. I haven't followed up on Street Fighter since Super Street Fighter II Turbo, but I might just have to get that.

I played Mario Kart 8 against three other people, and we did that with just the play screen and the Joy-Cons attached. I think it felt heavier than the Wii U Game Pad.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild was also playable there, but those who wanted to play required a ticket of some kind. That's something I didn't even know about before I showed up. So I was a little upset about that. The whole Switch play event was 90 minutes long, and there were three sessions total for Breath of the Wild. I did get to sample the Wii U last summer at the Nintendo NY store, and pretty soon, I'll have my own Switch to play it on.

Other cities where they'll be doing this so far are Toronto, Washington, D.C., Chicago, San Francisco, Los Angeles, all for one day. The rest will be in San Antonio, Boston, and Austin, and will go on for three days.

http://www.nintendo.com/switch/events/