The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 04-13-2017, 04:11 AM   #301
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
I always thought it was weird, especially since all the advertising was "WOW SONIC IS SO FAST, HE'S FAST! SPEED! SPEED! BLAST PROCESSING!!" and whatnot to really set it apart from Mario. The Green Hill Zone had some parts to blast though and the loop the loop and all that good stuff.... then came the Marble Zone that went right back to taking your time, timing your jumps, avoiding the hazards and all that.... just like any other side-scroller at the time.
Yeah, even though Sonic 1 was fun, it definitely failed in this aspect. I never thought anything of it until I was older. Sonic 2 kinda fixed that problem...minus stages like Metropolis Zone, IMO.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 11:41 AM   #302
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
I'm a big fan of every Sonic All Star Racing game I've played.
Altho Sonic needing a car is kinda... well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
I always thought it was weird, especially since all the advertising was "WOW SONIC IS SO FAST, HE'S FAST! SPEED! SPEED! BLAST PROCESSING!!" and whatnot to really set it apart from Mario. The Green Hill Zone had some parts to blast though and the loop the loop and all that good stuff.... then came the Marble Zone that went right back to taking your time, timing your jumps, avoiding the hazards and all that.... just like any other side-scroller at the time.
Yeah, I know, right? The speed feels more like a gimmick and marketing strategy to show off Genesis' speed in comparison to SNES'. Other than that... it doesn't add much to the gameplay does it? When you're speeding through ramps and loops... all you do is watch Sonic rolling like a rock and catching rings.

It's kind of funny how Sonic games punish you so often for actually going fast. In Sonic 1 pretty much only Green Hill and Spring Yard are places to go fast and maybe Star Light Zone. Marble Zone? No way. Labyrinth zone... well it's underwater so no. Scrap Brain Zone? Yeah right, good luck not dying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
Yeah, even though Sonic 1 was fun, it definitely failed in this aspect. I never thought anything of it until I was older. Sonic 2 kinda fixed that problem...minus stages like Metropolis Zone, IMO.
Metropolis Zone is a bit broken. A lot of times it seems you're gonna take a hit no matter what.

I've seen better.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:25 PM   #303
The Deadman
Mad Scientist

Oh dear lord...

Last Movie Watched: The Shallows (2016).
Last TV Show Watched: Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (S3:E18.
Last Video Game Played: Sonic Chrono Adventure (PC).
http://bloggerofthedead.blogspot.com/​
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:09 PM   #304
Zany Orange Dude
The Little Nerdy Teacher

They released a first look at Classic Sonic's gameplay in Sonic Forces:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1wYD5b4VUw

Cons for me: it's once again Green Hill.
Pros for me: it looks pretty and the game play looks solid.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:56 PM   #305
The Deadman
Mad Scientist

At least it's brighter than it was in Generations.

Last Movie Watched: The Shallows (2016).
Last TV Show Watched: Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (S3:E18.
Last Video Game Played: Sonic Chrono Adventure (PC).
http://bloggerofthedead.blogspot.com/​
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 11:31 AM   #306
Stephen
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zany Orange Dude View Post
Cons for me: it's once again Green Hill.
Maybe this game was in development a long time before Sonic Mania.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 12:37 PM   #307
LeotheLateBloomer
Mad Scientist

It started development after Lost World so I'd imagine so. Although I don't know when development for Mania started. There's really nothing to say of Green Hill.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 05:26 PM   #308
chrisdude
Foot Elite

With Mania on the way, it's hard for me to get excited about Forces.
chrisdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 05:38 PM   #309
Turo602
The King of Kings

I don't get why people bitch about them always using a variation of Green Hill. It's an iconic aesthetic to the franchise just like the Mushroom Kingdom is to Mario, or New York to Spider-Man.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:14 PM   #310
sdp
<<-Virtual Dino Raver->>

Looks boring, why not have Green Hill from modern sonic's perspective for a change? I know that was done in SA2 but it's been years while Green Hills was just done in Generations which I guess was also a while ago but whatever.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 11:40 PM   #311
Turo602
The King of Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Looks boring, why not have Green Hill from modern sonic's perspective for a change? I know that was done in SA2 but it's been years while Green Hills was just done in Generations which I guess was also a while ago but whatever.
A variation also existed in Lost World, y'know, the very last Sonic game.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:23 AM   #312
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Lost World is also a Sonic game a lot of people didn't play
Old 05-08-2017, 12:54 PM   #313
Turo602
The King of Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netkeeper View Post
Lost World is also a Sonic game a lot of people didn't play
Which is a total shame since it was the best Sonic has ever been in 3D. The gameplay was so smooth and the best Sonic has ever controlled in 3D. But instead, people prefer the stiff gameplay of the dashing really fast games.
Old 05-08-2017, 01:29 PM   #314
sdp
<<-Virtual Dino Raver->>

Lost World was eventually ported to PC, from what I read it's a flawed but decent game. I have it on PC but what sucks is I'll never be able to play the Zelda and Yoshi levels...I'm not buying it on Wii U though, it literally cost me about about a dollar while the cheapest I've seen it on Wii U is $30.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 04:15 PM   #315
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turo602 View Post
Which is a total shame since it was the best Sonic has ever been in 3D. The gameplay was so smooth and the best Sonic has ever controlled in 3D. But instead, people prefer the stiff gameplay of the dashing really fast games.
Really? Everything I read about how it controls sounds like it'd be a horrible nightmare. [Also I watched all the cutscenes. I wish I hadn't.] The controls in Sonic Adventure 2 are what always felt the best for 3D Sonic for me -- everything that's come after has been so slippery.
Old 05-09-2017, 01:05 AM   #316
Turo602
The King of Kings

Quote:
Really? Everything I read about how it controls sounds like it'd be a horrible nightmare. [Also I watched all the cutscenes. I wish I hadn't.] The controls in Sonic Adventure 2 are what always felt the best for 3D Sonic for me -- everything that's come after has been so slippery.
I don't know what you've read, but the game certainly controls better than Sonic Adventure 2. However, I find the Adventure design, at least for the Sonic/Shadow stages, to be the best way to go about Sonic in 3D. Even the gameplay felt sufficient enough, though they could use refining as they don't always feel accurate.

Lost World on the other hand, takes a break from the recent boost formula introduced in Sonic Unleashed, and brings Sonic back to a reasonable pace like the Adventure games. The biggest difference though being that Sonic now has a run button which just keeps him at a steady running pace which works a whole lot better than people would lead you to believe. Like I've said before, he feels so much more controllable because his movements are just way more accurate. You can actually run in perfect circles, keep still in a straight line, and make easy turns. You're actually platforming in 3D this time and not relying on 2D sections for that like recent games (though, there are still plenty of 2D levels which are actually the weakest aspect of the game for a change). Though, that doesn't mean Sonic isn't fast either. There's plenty of speed, but it's a lot more balanced like the orginal games. There are a lot of gimmicky levels, but they mostly just help change up the pace of the game and aren't as terrible as some would have you believe either. I found some to be really enjoyable. Though, that's not to say it doesn't have its own set of flaws, but it should definitely be the basis for which direction they should go in with Sonic.

I'm very disappointed that Forces went back to the boost formula which I'll admit, is exhilarating and should definitely be incorporated into Sonic games, but in a smaller capacity. Because as I said, Sonic feels really stiff when you're controlling him without the boost and that's because you're meant to move him in slight directions while boosting, but then it makes platforming nearly impossible in 3D, so they just stick with making the game shift into 2D when you platform which sounds like a half solution to me.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:18 PM   #317
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

The run button is where I hesitate. That sounds like hell to get used to and I really don't think I'll like it. It sounds horrifying and everything I've read tells me as much. This is the first time I've seen anyone praise it at all.

I mean, as a Sonic fan I'm bound to pick the game up eventually and find out for myself, but the descriptions give me Secret Rings flashbacks. Not in any hurry to make that mistake again, so I'll wait until I see it for under $20
Old 05-09-2017, 06:00 PM   #318
Turo602
The King of Kings

Quote:
The run button is where I hesitate. That sounds like hell to get used to and I really don't think I'll like it. It sounds horrifying and everything I've read tells me as much. This is the first time I've seen anyone praise it at all.

I mean, as a Sonic fan I'm bound to pick the game up eventually and find out for myself, but the descriptions give me Secret Rings flashbacks. Not in any hurry to make that mistake again, so I'll wait until I see it for under $20
That's fair, but I don't really get the big deal about the run button. It's like holding down a button to drive or sprint in any other game and it feels rather comfortable since its located on one of the triggers. Believe me, I know the game was trashed, but undeservedly so. Especially by the Sonic fanbase who literally have no idea what they want. It's the same situation with the Devil May Cry fans sh*tting on the reboot which was actually really good. Let me know when you do get the chance to play it. I'm very curious to hear your perspective on it. But trust me, it's far from being another Secret Rings, '06, Unleashed, or Boom. You may not appreciate it as much as I do, but in terms of quality, it definitely leans more towards Colors and Generations.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:50 PM   #319
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Anyone else here love Sonic Unleashed? Its one of my favourite games of all time despite not being perfect. I had a great time playing through the story.
FredWolfLeonardo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:21 PM   #320
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Anyone else here love Sonic Unleashed? Its one of my favourite games of all time despite not being perfect. I had a great time playing through the story.
I've only played it on the Wii. The weird thing is that I like the gameplay of the Werehog sections more than the staff run controls of the Day levels. Only complaint is that the Werehog levels tend to drag on a bit too long. I can see the Sonic Adventure influence in the world-travel theme and the hub stages.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
papenbrooksonicfetish, papenbrooktriggered, paperbrookneedsfreshair, sega, sonic