The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 03-04-2017, 07:25 PM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

Games that aren't so great but you still had lot of fun playing them

Now, most people like those critically acclaimed games which are universally considered as "must-have" titles by most players, but what about those games which are just average but yet, you ended up enjoying them a fair bit?

I think the Tiny Toon Adventures cartoon series had loads of games that fall into this category. I've owned 3 Tiny Toon Adventures games. One for the NES which was an alright sidescrolling/platforming game. One for the Genesis called ACME All-Stars where you can play several sports such as football/soccer, basketball, bowling and track running or wtv that was. That game could be frustrating as far as shooting and passing went. It was no FIFA/PES or NBA 2k but good lord was it fun to play with friends when you were a kid:

Spoiler:

And finally, there's Buster Busts Loose for the SNES. I believe some of you already know this game. Like the NES game I've mentioned above, it's a sidescrolling/platofrming title. I like how it sorta feels like Sonic with its running mechanics.

Seriously, Konami did a great job with the Tiny Toon Adventures series, imo. Just like it did with the TMNT franchise in the 80s/90s. Speaking of which, the SNES version of the TMNT Tournament Fighters is pretty fun. It was just another Street Fighter clone, but it was playable. Sure the AI was cheap and blocked constantly, but it was cool. Sadly it came out at a time where the Turtlemania fad was already nosediving, so pretty much no one remembers it. Btw, I've seen some competitive matches on youtube from Japanese players.

Back to Warner Bros. stuff, has anyone ever played Rabbit Rampage?

Spoiler:

Or the Marvin Missions?

Spoiler:

These two games were fun as hell when I was a kid. Sadly I've never gotten around to beat them but my brother has. They were no masterpieces but they were pretty solid games, with fun levels and nice controls. Sunsoft did a good job on both of them.

As for "crappier" games... I gotta admit I sorta enjoyed Bart vs. the World(NES) and Bart's Nightmare(SNES) when I was a kid, but F*CK Bart vs. the Space Mutants(NES).

What about you?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 07:56 PM   #2
sdp
Megan Fox = April

As much as the AVGN is awesome it also made popular to criticize average games for cheap laughs and people like sheep now say "they suck!!11" even if they really don't.

Licensed games might not have broken ground in innovation but as long as they were decent games and it had the characters you already loved it made the game as good as a polished Nintendo game. All this without mentioning that flawed games through a kids eye will always be better than any AAA game as an adult.

But to add to the thread:

On the NES I really liked The Simpsons vs The Space Mutants, what an innovative game, especially that first level. It was hard as hell but I liked it. Same with Virtual Bart on the SNES, you had like 8 different "games" inside this game and while not all of them were winners, many of them were fun enough that I liked the game. Both of these games are usually shown off as "sh-tty games" but I love them. The GTA and Crazy Taxi Simpsons clones were awesome as well. I miss licensed Simpsons games.

Teen Titans on the Gamecube/PS2 is another licensed game classic, it has the humor of the show and the voice actors of it. The actual game is just a a generic beat em up but if you like Teen Titans you'll have a ton of fun playing it.

I'll come back to this thread when I remember some more.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 08:17 PM   #3
ToTheNines
[sic]

I've enjoyed every TMNT game, even the bad ones.

I'm a Naughty Dog fanboy, but I still stuck with Crash Bandicoot for a few titles after they moved on. I had fun with Crash Bash and Wrath of Cortex, and Huge Adventure on GBA, even though they had tons of problems. And that Lost Frontier Jak and Daxter game was pretty terrible, but I still kind of enjoyed it for the week that I played it. I guess it was alright for a PSP port... but I don't even consider it canon.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 08:23 PM   #4
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
I've enjoyed every TMNT game, even the bad ones.
I haven't played each and every of them, but the Genesis version of Tournament Fighters is nearly unplayable for me. Maybe I just suck at it, I dunno. Also, the original NES TMNT game has LOTS of flaws. Not only the game is already pretty hard with the goddamn re-spawning enemies and no " 2-3 second post-hit invincibility", but the jumping controls made it even worse.

Oddly enough, I enjoyed BattleNexus on the GameCube back when I got it in 2005, after finishing 9th grade, even though that game is pretty mediocre and repetitive.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:44 PM   #5
oldmanwinters
Overlord

I got great enjoyment out of Bugs Bunny's Birthday Blowout and Crazy Castle on NES back in the day. They were fun for what they were. Not a great use of the WB license, and so generic it's no surprise the sprites were just copy and pasted into an existing game. But I had fun with them. I find the Crazy Castle series really shines on handhelds.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 08:57 PM   #6
ssjup81
Foot Elite

The SNES version of Mario is Missing. It was educational and stuff, but I enjoyed it. Just hated the lack of challenge. I liked learning about different countries. As a kid, I liked geography and the idea of traveling to other countries intrigued me.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 08:59 PM   #7
Storm Eagle
Saved by

I enjoyed the most hated Zelda games. The CD-i games notwithstanding, for I've never played them.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 09:05 PM   #8
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
I enjoyed the most hated Zelda games. The CD-i games notwithstanding, for I've never played them.
So which games are those? Skyward Sword and Zelda II?
Old 03-04-2017, 09:27 PM   #9
CyberCubed
Overlord

Resident Evil 6 wasn't truly terrible. It had its problems, but the better parts of the game held up. It's one of the weakest in the series for sure though.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 09:44 PM   #10
Wildcat
Foot Elite

I have Tiny Toons Busters Hidden Treasure for Sega Genesis. Basic platformer but it's still fun.

I'm gonna say Sonic 2006 (Xbox 360, the version I have).

Ok before anyone loses their minds I don't think it's wonderful. It's just ok at best. I picked it because I've played through it and it's nowhere near as broken as people make out to be.

There are glitches but I only encountered 2 minor ones. From what I've seen on YouTube the others have to specifically made to happen in order to "break" your way around. There's plenty of play throughs of others completing the game legitimately.

I would also add Sonic Boom (Wii U). Again it's just ok. It gets really repetitive about half way. A couple of levels are kinda cool but overall it's a ridiculously easy game.
Old 03-04-2017, 11:14 PM   #11
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Criticom on the Sega Saturn is not a good fighting game at all. The controls stink, the graphics are bad (even by Saturn 3D standards), and you can't really pull off combos. But nonetheless me and my little brother have fun occasionally playing it, we get some laughs out of it.

Pinobee on GBA isn't a bad game by any means. It's just that it's another run-of-the-mill platformer, albeit with a few interesting things. But I have always enjoyed it, it's one of my favorite GBA games.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 11:43 PM   #12
Storm Eagle
Saved by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
So which games are those? Skyward Sword and Zelda II?
And Spirit Tracks.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 12:34 PM   #13
Wesley
Mad Scientist

I enjoyed most Yugioh games mainly for the GBA and DS even though they had a lot of flaws. My favourite one is Duel Transer for the Wii with WC2011 in 2nd place.

I found the Gameboy Color games Crazy Castle 3 and Sylvester and Tweety: Breakfast on the Run fun to play when I was a kid.

Last edited by Wesley; 03-06-2017 at 09:44 AM.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 12:37 PM   #14
DisKosh
Foot Soldier

My favourite game has absolutely no plot, the characters are numerous and lack personality, graphics rather basic and blocky, but the problem solving always entertains me.

I am talking of course about Sudoku.
DisKosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 12:46 PM   #15
ToTheNines
[sic]

Forgot to mention Digimon World, for PS1. Pretty bad, but I played it a lot during my Digimon phase.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 12:47 PM   #16
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisKosh View Post
My favourite game has absolutely no plot, the characters are numerous and lack personality, graphics rather basic and blocky, but the problem solving always entertains me.

I am talking of course about Sudoku.
hey, come on now. Let's talk about video games only!

...but OK, I'll bite. I used to be a big Monopoly fan even though that game really isn't that great. You just gotta be lucky and land on the most expensive properties and you've basically won the game.
Old 03-05-2017, 05:01 PM   #17
Icebot
Foot Elite

Well I guess Roger Rabbit and TMNT 1 NES were terrible games since the AVGN said so. I actually had lots of fun playing those games.

I think a lot of people don't like T&C Surf Design but I ended up loving it.
Icebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 05:25 PM   #18
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
As much as the AVGN is awesome it also made popular to criticize average games for cheap laughs and people like sheep now say "they suck!!11" even if they really don't.
AVGN mostly reviews bad games, though. As the series went on he began reviewing better games such as SMB3, Adventure of Link, CastleVania games, etc. Although the first game ever he reviewed, Simon's Quest, isn't exactly a game I'd call "sh*tty"... noe does James Rolfe himself. He played his Angry Nerd character in it just for giggles for his friends. Then, two years later, someone suggest him to upload it onto youtube(which was new at the time) and he does it just for the heck of it... and voilá, the AVGN monster is born.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebot View Post
Well I guess Roger Rabbit and TMNT 1 NES were terrible games since the AVGN said so. I actually had lots of fun playing those games.

I think a lot of people don't like T&C Surf Design but I ended up loving it.
I can't speak for Roger Rabbit since I haven't played it, but the first ever TMNT game, while I certainly wouldn't call it a good game due to its glaring flaws... it's not a crappy game either. No way it would belong in a top 20 worst games ever list. Not even on a top 100, I'd say.

I've been on the internet since around 2000-2001. TMNT NES always had a reputation for being hard as hell, which is, but I didn't see it getting universally panned until AVGN's review of it came out. Ranted it was never considered a cult classic or anything, but it certainly wasn't sh*t on as much before AVGN reviewed it. In the last few years, however, the "hatred" for it has calmed down. I dunno, but maybe some people played it for the first ever or maybe some revisited it and noticed they could now beat the dam(n) level as adults, and thus changed their opinion on the game a bit. I wouldn't say many people consider it, by any means, a hidden gem nowadays, but I've seen more people saying positive stuff about the game in the last few years than I had ever seen.

Lots of people who followed AVGN right from his early days were still kids/teenagers(me, per example). So I'd say many impressionable young people used him as some sort of first big reference for retrogaming when they first started looking into older games they were either too young to play or weren't even born to play them yet. AVGN himself doesn't want people to take his word for gospel and is the first person to admit that his reviews are mostly done in the Nerd character. He actually doesn't consider Simon's Quest to be a bad game at all, per example. Just an overall weaker game than the other two NES CastleVania games and Super CastleVania IV.
Old 03-05-2017, 06:49 PM   #19
CyberCubed
Overlord

Killer Instinct Gold on N64 was great fun. Game got mediocre reviews, IGN only gave it a 6.5 way back in 1997.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 06:51 PM   #20
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Killer Instinct Gold on N64 was great fun. Game got mediocre reviews, IGN only gave it a 6.5 way back in 1997.
My brother liked that game a lot back in the day.