Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Music

Notices

Old 08-20-2017, 07:02 PM   #1
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Father John Misty Writes Eulogy For Animatronic Chuck E. Cheese Band

https://411mania.com/music/father-jo...e-cheese-band/

Quote:
Chuck E. Cheese recently announced that it will be phasing out the animatronic Chuck E. Cheese Band. For some reason, this struck a chord with Father John Misty, who wrote a eulogy on Facebook.

He wrote: “I typically don’t eulogize over social media, but the shock and sadness I feel over losing this artist compelled me to humbly offer a few words in remembrance I started having birthdays at a very, very young age. As was the custom in pre-suburban Maryland, at the behest of my parents a dozen or so friends from school and church would join us at Chuck E. Cheese for pizza, games of skill and various proto-gambling amusements followed by gifts, cake, what have you. Having been a professional musician for a few years now, I can appreciate firsthand not only the strain of trying to sustain a flow of creativity for so long but the rigorous, pretty unexotic feat of physical endurance just getting through a few hundred shows a year, plus all the travel, is,” Father John Misty continued. “When I consider that this motherf—er was playing up to 5 sets a night all over the country simultaneously I am reminded that, yes, it can be done, and that just by getting on that stage every night and leaving everything up there, I am part of lineage, of a collective imagination that spans the generations. How he maintained that smile on his face, playing so consistently and with such little flash (even though I’m sure some nights he just wanted to stretch out and make it all about himself) is beyond me. Don’t forget: this man’s middle name was literally ‘Entertainment.’

None of this, however, has anything to do with why I fell in love with this man’s playing. Chuck was an interpreter. He didn’t write much, outside of his seminal ‘Happy Birthday’ but neither did Frank f—ing Sinatra,” he said. “Like Sinatra, Chuck wasn’t ‘the best.’ But he had a style, and style cannot be taught; something we tend to forget in this era of manufactured pop stars. Max Martin would’ve had nothing to do with Cheese. He was a little thick around the waste, and certainly refused to change with protein fads in the culture. He was never political, but he didn’t need to be. Neoliberalism had just left the think tanks and had been deployed in service of combatting the rampant stagflation that had bedeviled the economy of the ’70s. Chuck embodied the American ideal of the time while presaging the alternative currencies that we’d see 30 years later. This man introduced me to music. Though the world may have moved on, the music remains.“
This was in the music news section so uhh...yeah. RIP the Chuck E Cheese band FeelsBadMan.

Last Movie Watched: Leprechaun Origins (2014).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E11).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote