The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Nick TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

Old 03-11-2016, 06:49 PM   #61
victory_angel
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technogeek29 View Post
That's not a bad thing.
totally agree. Considering thats a shonin ai title that has little boys dressed up as little girls.
Old 03-12-2016, 09:01 AM   #62
SKX31
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by victory_angel View Post
Most Anime is Niesh Entertainment. (Appeals to a smaller spectrum of individuals)

The only anime truly made for a broad entertainment is for Children or Short family oriented shows.

There there aren't many anime that are aimed at a broad adult audience and the the few that are only a small percent make actual success.

The reason we have so many manga adaptations that don't have any real ending (or in the case of an ending, no real satisfying conclusion.) Or so many cheap fan-service anime that is aimed as the smallest niesh of otaku viewers. It's because those are the only shows that are likely to make a profit. And even then most of them don't.

In other words good anime is not going to be made if no one cares.
Well, there's some potential light at the end of the tunnel. I'm looking at Chivalry of a Failed Knight, which Digibro recently brought up while reviewing the so-bad-it's-horrible (as in 12 vids spent reviewing horrible) Asterisk War.

Both shows are pretty (read very similar) but the gist of it is that while AW gets everything - detail, stories etc. wrong and bogged down in the dead horses dominating anime today, CoaFK takes risks. And not just small risks either:
  1. There's no Harem (honestly, its Dead Horse status is what makes Harems pretty trite in todays anime industry), and related to this:
    2. The main protagonist and love interest build up the relationship from the first episode, fall in love by the 4th episode and continue to struggle / develop as a couple throughout the rest of the (so far) 12 episode series. The little sister character admits defeat early too and starts to develop in her own way.
    3. One of the major characters is a transsexual woman. Is she important because of her transsexuality? NO. Her personality is what makes an impact.
    4. The fight scenes actually mean a goddamn thing, always. And while the main protagonist is a in-reality-almost-OP-badass, the villains / antagonists he face are pretty much on his level. And there's no real sign of (too much) Power Creep yet.
    5. And finally, the story's pretty well woven into something cohesive and interesting.

Is it perfect? No. The romance's kinda wonky at first glance (and the show's view on sexuality can come off as weird at points - especially given that there's a decent amount of fanservice (and a little manservice)), the animation's shoddy and lowbudget, and it isn't completely groundbreaking as an anime. Still, I've become a fan of the show (because it realizes it needs to take some risks), and I sincerely hope it helps improve the anime industry and lead somewhere.

I'm saying this because I'd loathe a) stuff like Harems in the Nick-verse, or b) a TMNT anime that's bogged down in the dead horses. I'm saying this because when large parts of the anime industry today is bogged down in Harems etc. it not only hurts the trope itself but also it makes it hard to really seperate the animes from an outsider standpoint.

With that in mind, I'm in the "please take more risks, Nick." camp.

Last edited by SKX31; 03-12-2016 at 09:19 AM.
SKX31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 12:14 PM   #63
victory_angel
Foot Elite

I also hate anime that is non sensical. I.e. Doesn't explain what's going on and instead has a bunch of random gags to fill the story. Bobobo is one such anime. However the two part ninja turtles anime isn't really that good either. The voices are okay, for the most part. Both episodes sort of expect you to know what's going on because they start by recaping an event where the turtles had found these stones that turn them into super turtles.

Old 03-12-2016, 07:37 PM   #64
Groverman62
Foot Soldier

Irma and Kraang Subprime would separate characters
Groverman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 04:08 AM   #65
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groverman62 View Post
Irma and Kraang Subprime would separate characters
Well technically there is an Irma separate from Subprime, she's just not human either.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 07:25 PM   #66
aliena
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarris Vaal View Post
Extend the length of every episode by 10mins and encourage more links between episodes for developing character interactions, background detail, secondary plot arcs, etc.

Basically give the writers more room to breath and not have to rush (or cram in) the ideas they have in each episode.
Once again, agree totally with this. Stop cramming everything into one episode. It's such a bummer, the Dark Raph idea should have had at least two or even three episodes with the guys being without him and how they cope.

Same thing with the Vision Quest story line, way too short. There was so much potential on so many episodes, but they were rushed and in the end they were not satisfying. Such a shame.
aliena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 07:10 AM   #67
Amaranthus
Banned

Not enough people saying ass-shots.
Plebs.
Amaranthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 04:17 PM   #68
turtle1237
Stone Warrior

The main thing I would change is well, finish some forgotting storylines.

Dont bounce from one plot to the next. And we need a ninja turtle rip off like street sharks for the next tv show lol.

Make fun of themselves would be nice in that regard.
turtle1237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 10:17 PM   #69
TurtleGuy
Foot Soldier

Krang being a Kraang all along suddenly makes my "Kraang all along rant" even funnier.
TurtleGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 09:55 PM   #70
Refractive Reflections
Mad Scientist

This is coming from someone who abandoned the series back in the season 2 finale, but if I could change one aspect, it would be the show's plot amnesia. It would lead to better characterization and stronger continuity between the events of the show, so at least the story's narrative could create a cumulative dramatic impact of significant events and character growth.

After reading some of the threads here (after reading about the OT crossover), it seems like that problem is as pervasive as ever, and probably even worse with all of the time traveling and dimension hopping.

Of course there are many other criticisms I have of the show, but my frustration and annoyance of the show has transitioned to indifference. (I regained some curiosity of the Nick show only because of the OT crossover...)
Refractive Reflections is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 11:07 PM   #71
ssjup81
Foot Elite

I just realized I never did answer this. Anyway, I'd be happy if they wrapped up abandoned (presumably) storylines, but the show isn't done yet, so I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited by ssjup81; 03-29-2016 at 11:12 PM.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 01:18 AM   #72
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refractive Reflections View Post
This is coming from someone who abandoned the series back in the season 2 finale, but if I could change one aspect, it would be the show's plot amnesia.
There is no plot amnesia. Older characters and plots are called back to when they want to.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 07:58 AM   #73
Luckyday
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refractive Reflections View Post
This is coming from someone who abandoned the series back in the season 2 finale, but if I could change one aspect, it would be the show's plot amnesia. It would lead to better characterization and stronger continuity between the events of the show, so at least the story's narrative could create a cumulative dramatic impact of significant events and character growth.

After reading some of the threads here (after reading about the OT crossover), it seems like that problem is as pervasive as ever, and probably even worse with all of the time traveling and dimension hopping.

Of course there are many other criticisms I have of the show, but my frustration and annoyance of the show has transitioned to indifference. (I regained some curiosity of the Nick show only because of the OT crossover...)

That's pretty much how I feel about the show currently. I can still enjoy it but only when when I'm not trying to pay attention to what's going on in the overall entire series like how certain characters are developing and growing. That doesn't make this show bad, it just has a different set of priorities. TMNT is more concern with having fun and in this season, a sense of adventure.

I haven't watch this new season other then the Mona Lisa episode, which I found annoying and trite, and the recent episode, which I really loved and reminded me what makes this show so fun as a casual viewer, but anyway when I'm no longer looking at this show as a whole by paying attention to some continuing elements concerning certain characters, and instead look at what they're trying to do now, I can appreciate that they trying to do new things and basically craving into things that fans would really want to see.

If they want to focus on giving us a bucket list of things to see then I'm fine with that. It just means that I will just pick and choose episodes that only sounds really interesting to me rather then sticking by episode after episode and expecting or trying desperately to find some sense of continuity when that is clearly not the focus or goal of the head writer.
We’re not unicorns!
WE’RE WOMEN AND WE TAKE WHAT WE WANT!
-Wendy Corduroy, Gravity Falls

Last edited by Luckyday; 04-01-2016 at 12:13 PM.
Luckyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 03:53 AM   #74
JH24
Hench Mutant

It started out as only a minor thing, but it became more annoying for me as the series progressed, and that's the writing for Casey. It wouldn't hurt if the show's writers took a good look at Casey and made his character/personality more consistent. Because as it is now, his character is all over the place.

In one episode he's obnoxious, irritating, keeps shouting "Casey Jones this...Casey Jones that." He acts way too full of himself, and while it's a trait of his character it gets way overplayed at times.

In another episode he has the habit of spouting the weirdest things in the worst circumstances. Like his "Awesome" quote just after the Earth got blown up. Him being excited to be transformed in a robot is another example, even Donatello didn't know how to react to that, and usually he's the first one to point out Casey's stupidity.

Then we have episodes were he's simply used to trigger traps, doing dumb things to make others look better, poking at stuff, charging in and getting beaten. Like in Riddle of the Aeons, where he triggered that trap that cut off Honeycut's robotic arm. Scenes like that irritate me to no end because there's no real reason for it and only lead to Casey once again being scolded by the turtles. Leo seemed absolutely furious.

(Come to think of it, the 2003 series had this habit as well, at least in the earlier seasons. But they did make his character more competent and likeable from season 4 and on, as well as making him a real part of the family. Leo in particular seemed to grow closer to him, as well as being more protective)

And then we have episodes where Casey is actually likeable and useful. Like "Revenge of the Triceratons". Each quote from him was on point or funny. (Like Mozar being demoted because of them) And that's how I like him best. He works best in a supporting role, yet still making a meaningful impact on the story.

I would love to see a more consistent Casey, giving him a more respectful role in the series, but without removing the traits that makes him the Casey we all know. I would love to see more about Casey's motivations, about what drives him and seeing him interact/hang out with the turtles more (Like the couch scene in "Revenge of the Triceratons")

I would also like to see him interact more with Donatello. They have an unique relationship in this series. They argue a lot, yet they both seem to share a deep bond and make the perfect team when working together, always having each other's back. Yet the writers seem to go out of their way lately to avoid putting them together in any scene.

Short version: I want to see his character grow and mature in a way, without taking away what fundamentally makes him Casey.

Last edited by JH24; 04-10-2016 at 04:16 AM.
JH24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 07:05 AM   #75
Splinter the boss
Stone Warrior

Speaking of Casey, I wonder where his Dad and little sister are. They were supposedly missing in the invasion. When they went back to New York, you'd think he would mention them, no, nothing is said about that. It's just weird. Hopefully we see them in humans vs. mutants arc, Casey trying to protect his family or something.

"I am absolute, lower your head!"
Splinter the boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 07:18 AM   #76
DarkLightDragon
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter the boss View Post
Speaking of Casey, I wonder where his Dad and little sister are. They were supposedly missing in the invasion. When they went back to New York, you'd think he would mention them, no, nothing is said about that. It's just weird. Hopefully we see them in humans vs. mutants arc, Casey trying to protect his family or something.
They're in the same bus as April's aunt that's labelled "Heard of but Never Seen."
DarkLightDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 07:34 AM   #77
Splinter the boss
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLightDragon View Post
They're in the same bus as April's aunt that's labelled "Heard of but Never Seen."
Exactly this. The show runners should try and fix that.

"I am absolute, lower your head!"
Splinter the boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 02:33 PM   #78
JH24
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Yeah, very good point. I don't understand why they're doing this, but they have a bit of a habit pushing these things into the background. I would love to see more of Casey's family and his interactions with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLightDragon View Post
You're entirely right. It's sad, yet so true.

===

I'm kinda hoping that in the second half of this season the series slows down a little and reflects a bit on the main characters without the need for another alien, mutant or threat to pop up. It could potentially be a nice addition to this season. Just a bit of breathing room for the characters to reflect on themselves, their friends/family and their motivations/development. But that's probably not going to happen.
JH24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 03:18 PM   #79
CyberCubed
Overlord

There's only going to be 12 episodes back in NYC, I imagine a large chunk of that would be about Shredder.

From the sounds of things Season 5 will open with the Turtles traveling around Asia and Europe.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 04:23 PM   #80
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Exactly this. The show runners should try and fix that.
I don't care much regarding April's aunt, but it does bother me that they still haven't done anything dealing with Casey's family.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a day inside may