The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 12-13-2018, 02:14 PM   #841
Igglet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
Well, yes, that's the general idea. We can have our cake and eat it too, and these are just two examples of how that could be implemented. I'm sure a company full of comics professionals can come up with a much better execution of the concept than I ever could. This series prides itself on continuity, and starting the numbering over completely without some clear visual acknowledgement of the previous 100 issues would go against that.

At least that's how I feel, but fortunately much better minds than mine are already working the issue one way or another.
Don't underestimate yourself!

And honestly, it does pride itself on its continuity and that's very important but you also have to keep in mind that there will be over 100 issues of the main ongoing series soon. When a newcomer sees #1, they'll be much more inclined to read the comic than if the saw a #101, at least that's how I see it. It doesn't impact the continuity whatsoever, it just makes it more approachable for new readers I think.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:01 PM   #842
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igglet View Post
And honestly, it does pride itself on its continuity and that's very important but you also have to keep in mind that there will be over 100 issues of the main ongoing series soon. When a newcomer sees #1, they'll be much more inclined to read the comic than if the saw a #101, at least that's how I see it. It doesn't impact the continuity whatsoever, it just makes it more approachable for new readers I think.
That doesn't seem to stop a sh*tload of other comics, though. If anything, it's a badge of honor. No other TMNT comic even made it to #75. These guys are well on their way to #100 and already thinking of what's going to happen after that. There's a lot more pride and joy to be felt, even for us fans, when your run makes it to #150 or #200 as opposed to reaching a milestone that it's already hit in the past, if only you hadn't deliberately restarted the count. Plus, what sort of message about your confidence in your comic's quality does it send if you resort to such a contrarian marketing scheme? Like it can't stand on its own two feet without falling back on that sort of device? Will that really pull more readers in past the new #1, or end up driving other potential readers away? Renumbering is a double-edged sword, far from the perfect, foolproof solution I've seen it presented as.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 03:10 PM   #843
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

It frustrates me seeing such low numbers on the shelves. I would be more inclined to pick up a higher number showing its success than a high volume with a low number. I am just a small percentage though. In my mind I have to go 713 + 53 +xx(60 now) which is 827 to total the real number of the Batman title for example. Legacy of a title shows it strength, but like I said its just me.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:11 PM   #844
Igglet

Quote:
That doesn't seem to stop a sh*tload of other comics, though. If anything, it's a badge of honor. No other TMNT comic even made it to #75. These guys are well on their way to #100 and already thinking of what's going to happen after that. There's a lot more pride and joy to be felt, even for us fans, when your run makes it to #150 or #200 as opposed to reaching a milestone that it's already hit in the past, if only you hadn't deliberately restarted the count. Plus, what sort of message about your confidence in your comic's quality does it send if you resort to such a contrarian marketing scheme? Like it can't stand on its own two feet without falling back on that sort of device? Will that really pull more readers in past the new #1, or end up driving other potential readers away? Renumbering is a double-edged sword, far from the perfect, foolproof solution I've seen it presented as.
I can get behind the badge of honor argument, but I do have to disagree with the rest.

But it's not about the quality. As I said before, I only got into the IDW run when it got to around #70. I loved what I saw of it, TMNT has always been my favorite franchise but I was very close to not getting into it because, holy crap, 70 ISSUES. It might've just been me, sure, but I'd lie if I didn't say that I never thought I'd actually get around to catching up with the run (though I vastly underestimated my thirst for TMNT comics).
Old 12-13-2018, 03:16 PM   #845
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
It frustrates me seeing such low numbers on the shelves. I would be more inclined to pick up a higher number showing its success than a high volume with a low number. I am just a small percentage though. In my mind I have to go 713 + 53 +xx(60 now) which is 827 to total the real number of the Batman title for example. Legacy of a title shows it strength, but like I said its just me.
This. Exactly this. Thank you for that.

Quote:
I can get behind the badge of honor argument, but I do have to disagree with the rest.

But it's not about the quality. As I said before, I only got into the IDW run when it got to around #70. I loved what I saw of it, TMNT has always been my favorite franchise but I was very close to not getting into it because, holy crap, 70 ISSUES. It might've just been me, sure, but I'd lie if I didn't say that I never thought I'd actually get around to catching up with the run (though I vastly underestimated my thirst for TMNT comics).
All of the mainstay Marvel comics (and DC's as well, I'm sure, though I don't follow theirs nearly as much) are well on their way to reaching #1000. That's not a typo: #1000, not #100. And still going strong, with new readers jumping on every week. The Walking Dead is on its way to #200, adding new readers all the time. More recently Invincible ended just shy of 150 issues and everyone said it could've gone on for at least twice that. Good, strong comics like we all know this one is aren't afraid to show the road they've trod to get where they are. Renumbering, at least in my opinion, is the same as faltering and admitting a fundamental flaw with your product. IDW TMNT is one of, if not the, best comic out there these days. It doesn't need those cheap thrills to attract an audience.

You also underestimate yourself - and by extension, the casual/semi-casual comic reader crowd - if you think you couldn't get just as hooked by a series in its 150th issue as you could by a series in its 5th.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:29 PM   #846
Igglet

Quote:
This. Exactly this. Thank you for that.

All of the mainstay Marvel comics (and DC's as well, I'm sure, though I don't follow theirs nearly as much) are well on their way to reaching #1000. That's not a typo: #1000, not #100. And still going strong, with new readers jumping on every week. The Walking Dead is on its way to #200, adding new readers all the time. More recently Invincible ended just shy of 150 issues and everyone said it could've gone on for at least twice that. Good, strong comics like we all know this one is aren't afraid to show the road they've trod to get where they are. Renumbering, at least in my opinion, is the same as faltering and admitting a fundamental flaw with your product. IDW TMNT is one of, if not the, best comic out there these days. It doesn't need those cheap thrills to attract an audience.

You also underestimate yourself - and by extension, the casual/semi-casual comic reader crowd - if you think you couldn't get just as hooked by a series in its 150th issue as you could by a series in its 5th.
I still disagree but I won't get into my reasoning anymore as I feel like we're sort of going in circles here. I wrote my response but I feel like I'm starting to repeat myself here. I do see where you're coming from, I won't mind if they do go with #101, but I still feel like renumbering would be the smarter choice.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:41 PM   #847
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
I still disagree but I won't get into my reasoning anymore as I feel like we're sort of going in circles here. I wrote my response but I feel like I'm starting to repeat myself here. I do see where you're coming from, I won't mind if they do go with #101, but I still feel like renumbering would be the smarter choice.
At some point we do indeed start going in circles, I feel the same way about my own reasoning.

Even though I'm a perfectionist and completist, and would vastly prefer to transition to #101 over #1 all over again, all I know is I'll stick with this comic until it's over, no matter the solution IDW ultimately decides to go with.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:45 PM   #848
Igglet

Quote:
At some point we do indeed start going in circles, I feel the same way about my own reasoning.

Even though I'm a perfectionist and completist, and would vastly prefer to transition to #101 over #1 all over again, all I know is I'll stick with this comic until it's over, no matter the solution IDW ultimately decides to go with.
Agreed, no matter what happens, I'll still support the Hell out of this comic.
Old 12-13-2018, 04:38 PM   #849
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaParade View Post
Thanks for sharing, Bobby. I understand if you don't want to reveal too much, but would a new #1 require anything else, in your mind? Would it need to signify a new direction or have something fresh on the creative side, or is it really just down to the business of getting new readers in?
Can't say a thing about story/creative direction, sorry!
Bobby Curnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 11:34 AM   #850
hypered1
Mad Scientist

How about the way it's presented on the IDW Uncle Scrooge comics, with the legacy number in brackets below the main issue number?

https://www.idwpublishing.com/wp-con...r-MOCKONLY.jpg

Additionally IDW's Star Trek Ongoing was rebooted after 60 issues as Star Trek Boldly Go which ended after 18 issues, so IDW does have some history with rebooting comics.

That aside, if TMNT does reset to Issue 1 it might be an idea to have that release in January 2020 to A: give the series a break to let #100 breath a little and B: 'new' series starting in the new year might be better from a marketing perspective.

Just my 2 cents.
hypered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 11:45 AM   #851
CyberCubed
Overlord

I didn't know they did that with the Uncle Scrooge comics, that's pretty interesting. I can definitely see something like that, a new #1 but issue #101 at the same time.

Also keep in mind we don't know how much longer the IDW run will go on post issue 100 in general. While I like to think we'll hit 150 issues and beyond, we also have no idea how long sales will sustain the series in general. Or something unexpected like Viacom/Nick deciding not to renew their license with IDW after a certain time and going with a different publisher like Dark Horse...which is unlikely, but a possible scenario.

I do think IDW TMNT will make it to 150 issues, but keep in mind we'll be in the year what....2025 or something by then? lol
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 11:49 AM   #852
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I didn't know they did that with the Uncle Scrooge comics, that's pretty interesting. I can definitely see something like that, a new #1 but issue #101 at the same time.

Also keep in mind we don't know how much longer the IDW run will go on post issue 100 in general. While I like to think we'll hit 150 issues and beyond, we also have no idea how long sales will sustain the series in general. Or something unexpected like Viacom/Nick deciding not to renew their license with IDW after a certain time and going with a different publisher like Dark Horse...which is unlikely, but a possible scenario.

I do think IDW TMNT will make it to 150 issues, but keep in mind we'll be in the year what....2025 or something by then? lol
I can guarantee a straight-up renumbering will contribute to the run ending much sooner over low sales than keeping the current count ever could.

You say that like 2025 won't be here before we even know it. Sad fact of life: time moves much faster the more you age.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:50 AM   #853
CyberCubed
Overlord

Yes I know that all too well. IDW TMNT will be celebrating it's 10th anniversary in 2021...I hope we get something special planned.

Can't believe IDW TMNT is almost 10 years old. I still remember when the series was announced back in 2011 like it was only yesterday.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:02 PM   #854
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Can't believe IDW TMNT is almost 10 years old. I still remember when the series was announced back in 2011 like it was only yesterday.
Same here. I got into this comic entirely by chance, one day when I was feeling nostalgic because a relative who used to buy the early Archie TMNT issues for me when I was a kid has just passed away, and I decided to pick up the Raphael micro. That Shredder foreshadowing at the end was sweet enough to hook me, so I picked up the other issues and the rest is history. Feels like a long time when you're waiting, but then you look back and realize time just flew by.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:45 PM   #855
hypered1
Mad Scientist

Quote:

Yeah Uncle Scrooge is the only comic I have seen display their numbers like this, however it's also interesting to note that the legacy number is a continuation of the numbering from way back in 1952 (courtesy of Wikipedia):

Dell Comics: 1952–1962 (issues 1–39 )
Gold Key Comics: 1962–1984 (issues 40–209 )
Gladstone Publishing: 1986–1990 (issues 210–242 )
Disney Comics: 1990–1993 (issues 243–280 )
Gladstone Publishing: 1993–1998 (issues 281–318 )
Gemstone Publishing: 2003–2008 (issues 319–383 )
Boom Kids! (Boom! Studios): 2009–2011 (issues 384–404 )
IDW Publishing: 2015– (issue 405 onwards)

Now that's commitment!
hypered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 06:29 PM   #856
Leebo
Random Punk

I’m curious if anybody has the current sales numbers leading up to issue 100.
Leebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 06:49 PM   #857
rich
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leebo View Post
I’m curious if anybody has the current sales numbers leading up to issue 100.
For the TMNT Ongoing, sales were:

- #93 = 11,840 (APRIL 2019)
- #94 = 10,308 (MAY 2019)
- #95 = No sales numbers; it was likely around the previous 2 months with a bump up from re-orders (JUNE 2019)
- #96 = 22,752 (JULY 2019) - you think Jennika had anything to do with doubling IDW's sales numbers for TMNT? Lol
- #97 = No sales numbers yet but #95 2nd printing and #97 Covers A & B were high in the re-orders list (AUGUST 2019)

rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 04:38 AM   #858
Red Robin
Foot Soldier

38,977 books of #97 have been sold in august.
https://www.comichron.com/monthlycom...9/2019-08.html

That's a huge rise of sales numbers. TMNT is on the rise again. Incredible.
Is it possible that these are even the highest sales numbers a IDW TMNT book achieved ever? IIRC #1 by IDW had about 34000 units sold.
Red Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 06:11 AM   #859
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Robin View Post
38,977 books of #97 have been sold in august.
https://www.comichron.com/monthlycom...9/2019-08.html

That's a huge rise of sales numbers. TMNT is on the rise again. Incredible.
Is it possible that these are even the highest sales numbers a IDW TMNT book achieved ever? IIRC #1 by IDW had about 34000 units sold.
Wow, we need details on this. I imagine it comes down to IDW pushing a lot of these books and giving discounts, but I don’t actually know. Could interest in readers have spiked that much?
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 07:36 AM   #860
CyberCubed
Overlord

Question

That was the issue Jennika was mutated to a female turtle and they did a second run reprint of it.

Tags
comic discussion