The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 05-04-2020, 07:52 AM   #1
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Demolition Man 2

Quote:
Sylvester Stallone has confirmed that Demolition Man 2 is finally happening at Warner Bros. after being (cryogenically) frozen for years.
In a recent Q&A on Instagram, Stallone revealed that a sequel to 1993's Demolition Man is on its way, as he responded to a fan who asked whether there would be a follow-up to the Marco Brambilla-helmed sci-fi actioner.

"I think it is coming," Stallone said. "We're working on it right now with Warner Brothers and it's looking fantastic, so that should come out. That's going to happen."

In the original movie, Stallone starred as Sergeant John Spartan, a fish-out-of-water cop thawed out of cryogenic prison in the year 2032 to pursue his former nemesis, Simon Phoenix, played by Wesley Snipes, who is running loose in Los Angeles, now a pacifist utopia known as San Angeles.

Over the years, Demolition Man has become a firm favourite among Stallone fans, thanks to its musclebound stars, clever script, and pulsating action, but this isn't the only movie that looks set to make a comeback. In his Q&A, Stallone revealed that 1981's Nighthawks is being remade into a streaming series.

"We're remaking [Nighthawks] as a streaming series at Universal," Stallone told his fans. "I'm really proud of all of these things that are coming back around because they're holding up."

When asked to reveal another secret, Stallone let slip that his long-gestating Hunter adaptation, based on the 1999 sci-fi novel by James Byron Huggins, is also finally moving forward after being "in the works for like 20 years."

According to Deadline, Stallone bought film rights to Hunter in 2009 reportedly with the idea to incorporate it into a Rambo storyline. Balboa Productions then placed the adaptation in its project lineup in 2018, with Stallone attached to star.

The book centres on "Nathaniel Hunter, whose hyper-tracking skills are employed to hunt down a raging beast, a half-human terror created by a renegade agency that is threatening to wreak havoc on civilization."
https://www.ign.com/articles/demolit...ester-stallone
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 11:38 AM   #2
Sumac
Banned

Unexpected. Especially in a modern socio-political climate considering that original Demolition Man was a satire against snowflake society which our leftie friend are trying to build nowadays.

I wonder, how its gonna work out: surely they wont have balls to make fun about vegan snowflakes being triggered by swear words and violence.

Or will they reframe it into make fun of conservatives? I hope not, and they will offer something clever, but on the other hand, considering amount of ****ed up sequels and reboots in the last decade I won't be surprised if it ends being moralizing crap with SJW bend to boot.

Main problem, if they dare to make fun of both sides of political spectrum, Hollywood intelligentsia and Twitter blue checkmarks gonna eat them alive, saying that they are "both siding", which in their feeble minds is absolutely unacceptable, since, according to them, there is no way left can get overzealous and outright idiotic with their values.

Of course, there is tiny chance, that they grow some pride as authors and do whatever they want to do, without bending to cretins, but I am afraid today it won't be the case.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 02:05 PM   #3
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Has to be R rated and they need to get Bullock back.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 02:43 PM   #4
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

The original was such a damn good film.

This is going to be terrible.
Old 05-04-2020, 07:52 PM   #5
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

What am I saying... they need Leary back, too. And yeesh... obviously Snipes can't be in it, but who are they going to get for the villain that would fill his shoes? Do we even want the same kind of villain?
Old 05-07-2020, 09:36 PM   #6
Coola Yagami
Overlord

I don't know how they'd pull it off.

Stallone is prob too old for this kind of movie anymore. Bullock, while still cute isn't what she was like in her 20's.

There is no villain they can work with that can match Snipes' 90's flair. I mean Phoenix was Spartan's worst enemy and the reason he was frozen and unthawed. They can't suddenly whip out some 'other arch nemesis from the 90's' outta nowhere.

The whole movie worked cause it was (then present day) 90's guys revived in the distant future. Most of the charm were the 2 characters adapting to the new era. You lose that if the movie takes place years later where Spartan is already used to everything. Only villain I can come up with is some sort of follower of that Cocteau that doesn't like the new regime after his downfall, but again, that takes away the 90's charm.

Also back then that kind of delicate snowflake junk was satire, I don't know how but that movie practically predicted how these twitter bluehairs act nowadays. There is no way the movie can get away with poking fun at these oversensitive NPC clowns without them trying to thrash the hell out of the movie, cancel the director cause they found some racist tweet 10 years ago or metoo some of the actors or producers. Or claim that if you go see the movie, you're a racist.

It's hard to make a 'future movie' when the future is already here and all the stuff they were making fun of kinda/sorta came true.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 10:15 PM   #7
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Has to be somebody else thaws out and we get their POV a little.

OR... perhaps John Spartan and Edgar Friendly (the Leary character) DID successfully have their revolution and now the post-DM, present day future... 2060 or whatever it would be, now looks like a futuristic version of the 1990s. And it's, like, a snowflake villain from 2020 that arrives who is aghast at how macho and non-P.C. things have become.
Old 05-07-2020, 10:51 PM   #8
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Has to be somebody else thaws out and we get their POV a little.

OR... perhaps John Spartan and Edgar Friendly (the Leary character) DID successfully have their revolution and now the post-DM, present day future... 2060 or whatever it would be, now looks like a futuristic version of the 1990s. And it's, like, a snowflake villain from 2020 that arrives who is aghast at how macho and non-P.C. things have become.
ROFL that'll be a riot if they had the balls to go through with it. I'd say for something like that a stipulation would be 'all people working on this must stay off all forms of social media until last day of filming'. PS especially Twitter. Hell, set their Twitter to private. Or delete and start a new one after filming is done.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Old 05-08-2020, 03:25 PM   #9
joe-eyeball
Stone Warrior

I’d be willing to bet this movie never makes it past the development stage. And if by some miracle it actually gets made it likely wouldn’t hold a candle to the first one. I’m certainly willing to let them try it and see how it turns out. Also, my vote for new villain is Van Damme! After all I believe he was the original first choice to play Simon Phoenix.
joe-eyeball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 03:48 PM   #10
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

We already got the big Van Damme vs. Stallone fight in Expendables 2.
Old 05-08-2020, 04:42 PM   #11
joe-eyeball
Stone Warrior

Quote:
We already got the big Van Damme vs. Stallone fight in Expendables 2.
Big fight? It was brief and mostly a one sided affair. Van Damme was criminally underused in that movie as have been all of the villains in the Expendable films!
joe-eyeball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 07:33 PM   #12
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Quote:
...perhaps John Spartan and Edgar Friendly (the Leary character) DID successfully have their revolution and now the post-DM, present day future... 2060 or whatever it would be, now looks like a futuristic version of the 1990s. And it's, like, a snowflake villain from 2020 that arrives who is aghast at how macho and non-P.C. things have become.
I'd pay good money to see this, actually. Clever pitch, man, seriously!
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 09:40 PM   #13
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutch View Post
I'd pay good money to see this, actually. Clever pitch, man, seriously!
Thanks. But it kind of has to be something like that, right? Like Coola said, it'd be pretty dumb if it's 30 years later and John Spartan is still clowning on the society he's now been in for the majority of his life. And the end of DM really made it seem like that society was on a high speed course out the window, anyway.
Old 05-09-2020, 07:18 AM   #14
Sumac
Banned

They'd need ginormous amount of balls to make a movie, where snowflake villain tries to return to Cocteau regime. This is why I feel it won't happen and the villain will be some quasi-nazi, just to be more hip and contemporary.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 07:25 PM   #15
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
They'd need ginormous amount of balls to make a movie, where snowflake villain tries to return to Cocteau regime. This is why I feel it won't happen and the villain will be some quasi-nazi, just to be more hip and contemporary.
They'll find a way to make the villain a straight white male, the main hero characters will be female and while Stallone will still be there, he'll mostly play second fiddle to them and be shown that his 'primitive ways' fail and the women have to bail him out and show him the 'right way' to do things.