bushido
Stone Warrior

TMNT Dimension X #5 preview & discussion

Preview here.
Old 08-26-2017, 10:30 AM   #2
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Ha, I'm loving the little Totus plant.

But now I'm feeling betrayed by the Utroms strewn all over the covers. I figured they'd be showing up in this one, hiding on the Peaceful Planet. But turns out they're only in the flashbacks?

I've been played again.
Old 08-26-2017, 10:42 AM   #3
ChosenOne
Banned

Totus which is Latin for "all", nicely played! I'm curious about those new mutants (I'm always curious about new mutants)...
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 12:27 PM   #4
CyberCubed
Overlord

Hakk-R's design almost looks completely different every time a new artist draws him.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 08:36 PM   #5
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Hakk-R's design almost looks completely different every time a new artist draws him.
The same can be said about a lot of the characters, including the Turtles.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 02:18 PM   #6
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

In other news, water is wet and the march of time continues onwards unfettered.
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 11:20 AM   #7
AquaParade
Banned

While IDW does have some very talented artists in their stable, I feel the other big 3 comic companies have more. I'd love to see some known artists drift over from DC, Marvel, and Image float over to TMNT.

I'm probably asking too much.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 10:02 AM   #8
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Well, this ended up being a little disappointing? The entire thing was mostly spent talking.
Old 08-30-2017, 05:18 PM   #9
ChosenOne
Banned

I must say I did expect a teensy bit more out of this issue, and the mini in general. I guess they can't all be like #3 and #4? It was still nice, though. Just underwhelming in the end.

Hakk-R is portrayed as pretty much incompetent (or just having really, REALLY bad luck) throughout, and I'm curious to see how he will ultimately be (even more) defeated or disposed of over in the main ongoing.
Old 08-30-2017, 06:59 PM   #10
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

I liked this issue. Standard sci-fi, but fun.

Didn't much like the art, though. Also don't like how Hakkr turned into such a joke so quickly; does Krang even know how badly the dude did? 0 for 5, Krang... he went 0 for 5!
Old 08-30-2017, 07:28 PM   #11
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I think some of it might be attributed to some pages being taken away for the previews of other comics. Could have slipped in a little more. Maybe some extra flashbacks.

And yeah, Hakk-R was a disappointment, especially after his first two appearances. And after a bit of a personality had been set up with the layout of his ship.

Maybe things would have been different if Krang had Ch'rell at his disposal, though it doesn't seem like Ch'rell was an assassin. I'm going to go with Hakk-R just having some bad luck in this situation, but his threat level has been diminished horribly.

I thought I was going to like the first Polyglot, but she ended up being a little insufferable. As was Michelangelo's dialogue. Heck, that might even go for...all the dialogue.

I did get a good laugh out Polly spraying pollen on Michelangelo...knowing what pollen is.

And then there's my personal disappointment: Utroms EVERYWHERE on the expanded cover like they were going to have a prominent role, but they barely show up except for flashbacks.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:33 PM   #12
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Hakk-R is the Team Rocket to the TMNT's "Gotta Catch Em All" roundup of witnesses.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 07:34 PM   #13
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Didn't much like the art, though.
They kinda (unintentionally, I'm guessing) aped Dario Brizuela's Tales Of The TMNT style (at least for the heads/faces), which is the pretty much the last Mirage looks one should aspire to IMO. (See below) Flat faces & square jaws are a big no-no, proven by Platinum Dunes. I liked their art otherwise, & the colors really made it pop, too.

Solid issue overall.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 07:51 PM   #14
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Hakk-R is the Team Rocket to the TMNT's "Gotta Catch Em All" roundup of witnesses.
Well, when you put it that way...Jessie and James were presented as a pretty big threat in their very first introduction until they started Blasting Off (and also started to show that they could be really, really good people if they just decided to stop working for Giovanni but I digress, that's for another thread).

Hakk-R seemed to fall into that category of a Fall from Glory after his first appearance.

All things considered, Krang didn't seem too mad that the plants can't leave - but then he'll have to find out about Polly. So he likely knows about the other failures and is having to compensate with his counsel.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:52 PM   #15
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
They kinda (unintentionally, I'm guessing) aped Dario Brizuela's Tales Of The TMNT style (at least for the heads/faces), which is the pretty much the last Mirage looks one should aspire to IMO. (See below) Flat faces & square jaws are a big no-no, proven by Platinum Dunes. I liked their art otherwise, & the colors really made it pop, too.

http://mutantooze.org/wiki/wp-conten...01/cover67.jpg

Solid issue overall.
It's funny you mention the art here kinda mimicking the art for those Mirage issues.

Per discussing the art of TMNT/Ghostbusters, I've always thought the artist there was channeling some Scott Cohn with the big giant shells.

Old 08-30-2017, 11:09 PM   #16
CyberCubed
Overlord

I really liked the way the stars looked in all the different backgrounds. It started off with purple stars/space, then went red/orange, then green when we got to the mutated parts, then blue again. Looking through this comic it's what I noticed the most, how pretty the stars or space scenes looked.

Overall it was a decent issue. The little floating grass/flower things reminds me of the stuff you see in RPG's in various Japanese videogames that you meet. Hard to describe what exactly it reminded me of though.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 07:15 PM   #17
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

Here's my full summary and review of TMNT: Dimension X #5 at TMNT Entity.

Hm. This was, well, it's hard to say anything nice about it. It was certainly up to the standard I've come to expect from a Devin Grayson comic, that's for sure. A pretty good miniseries, it just didn't end on top.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 07:25 PM   #18
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpengler View Post
Here's my full summary and review of TMNT: Dimension X #5 at TMNT Entity.

Hm. This was, well, it's hard to say anything nice about it. It was certainly up to the standard I've come to expect from a Devin Grayson comic, that's for sure. A pretty good miniseries, it just didn't end on top.
To hammer home the point you made in the last paragraph of your review, and I just posted about in the General Discussion thread, right now Hakk-R is like a Reverse Squirrel Girl: everyone and everything gets to kick his ass. Even a sentient flowerbed. Ugh.

SPOILER ALERT!
Spoiler:
Hakk-R dies after being exiled to a far-off asteroid along with Krang in issue #75, saying the wrong thing to piss off his companion, and having Krang leap at him for a Killer Throat Bite(TM). And then Stump's voice echoes from the sky with something along the lines of "Krang wins! Fatality!", to which a confused Krang looks around and asks "Who said that?!", aaand The End. /s

Last edited by ChosenOne; 08-31-2017 at 07:31 PM.
Old 08-31-2017, 07:39 PM   #19
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
To hammer home the point you made in the last paragraph of your review, and I just posted about in the General Discussion thread, right now Hakk-R is like a Reverse Squirrel Girl: everyone and everything gets to kick his ass. Even a sentient flowerbed. Ugh.

SPOILER ALERT!
Spoiler:
Hakk-R dies after being exiled to a far-off asteroid along with Krang in issue #75, saying the wrong thing to piss off his companion, and having Krang leap at him for a Killer Throat Bite(TM). And then Stump's voice echoes from the sky with something along the lines of "Krang wins! Fatality!", to which a confused Krang looks around and asks "Who said that?!", aaand The End. /s
Sounds like he'd be right at home among Krang's standard henchmen from the Fred Wolf toon!

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 08:01 PM   #20
myconius
Abby Normal

Location: the grave marked "Unknown" right beside Arch Stanton.
overall i really enjoyed the Dimension X mini-series.
it was pretty much just an mini adventure right in-between from issue #73 & #74, and part of a larger sum.
it introduced a bunch of new characters and it really was a lot of fun at parts.

my favorite chapter still has to be the wrestling match.
that tear in Crying Houn's eye