The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > Rise of the TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 08-05-2018, 06:20 PM   #181
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Well it was ON YT, so.... then again, it was probably taken from the actual premier. I dunno, it was just really cringy.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 06:22 PM   #182
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post

(Bad enough she apparently had a recent "Twitter meltdown" over something stupid. If any of these VAs end up out the door sooner or later like Biggs was... might be that one.)
what twitter meltdown?

if i even knew her name i'd look it up heh.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 07:54 PM   #183
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:
I noticed that when I pulled up the YouTube video the other day just to refresh my memory on something in it, and while just skipping through it saw April's VA show up and wondered what that was even about. Didn't bother stopping to listen. Not even watching it through it was kind of annoying to throw the actors in the middle of it.

(Bad enough she apparently had a recent "Twitter meltdown" over something stupid. If any of these VAs end up out the door sooner or later like Biggs was... might be that one.)
Really? Wow, hopefully nothing too major.

No offense to the voice actress but I'm just not digging this April...at all. She's easily my least favorite version of the character, including Megan Fox's portrayal. And I never thought I'd say that last bit.

Last edited by LeotheLateBloomer; 08-05-2018 at 08:03 PM.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 11:47 AM   #184
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Given that she might lurk, I'll be nice and leave it alone since it didn't have anything to do with TMNT (not hard to find the websites that mention it if someone were to go looking), but it was rather petty of her.
Spoiler:
Some advice to Miss (Mrs?) Kat... "woman up" and drop the cattiness and false bravado if you think you're going to survive this highly opinionated fanbase for the duration is all I have to say. Or at least don't lurk if it's going to make you blow a gasket later. And, pro tip, get a second private alias Twitter account if fans annoy you so much on the 'official' one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Well it was ON YT, so.... then again, it was probably taken from the actual premier. I dunno, it was just really cringy.
It wasn't even on the tv premier, so it's strange that it's on the YouTube version. (Is it on the Nick.com video?) Maybe it was a late add-on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
And I never thought I'd say that last bit.
lol Always sad when you think you've seen the lowest something can go, and then they prove you wrong. Like PD Splinter vs this one.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 01:29 PM   #185
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

People are actively searching out butt-shots of Rise!Leo.

It's ... sorta creepy.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 02:19 PM   #186
Powder
So tired of this place

What's creepy is you bringing it up. We don't need that here, this has always been a relatively normal/safe part of the fandom.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 02:29 PM   #187
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Well, then forgive me for saying, but these designs being what they are, they're probably "actively searching" because they can't find one. Only Raph probably has enough surface area back there to have one.
Old 08-07-2018, 05:57 AM   #188
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Y'll have a point, but still ...

Why would they need to do that?! It ... just doesn't make any sense.

What's the point?!
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:24 AM   #189
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

It's the internet?
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 11:38 AM   #190
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Simple. Because many girls like guy's butts and if they're fans of a guy, even if fictional, they probably like his too.

All those comments about 2012 April's butt, but dear god, no not Turtle behinds. They could certainly be discussing worse.

Although personally, if you're going to check out Turtle behinds, choose better source material. I mean, the shell provides coverage for nearly every version so there rarely is ever anything to look at. And skinny ass (I guess literally) 2018 designs... well, good luck. lol

Really now, if PD had put Venus in there, and you know being female there is probably a 95% chance that Bay & Co would ensure that she'd have HAD to be made "sexy" to some extent... you can't tell me that many men wouldn't experience the same issues of struggling not to look.

If hunting for nonexistent 2018 butts keeps them occupied and out of others hair, well have at it. lol
Old 08-13-2018, 06:45 AM   #191
AceDuck
Mouser

Watched the first episode last night. As others have pointed out, the animation is good, and the premise and story itself is interesting. I also liked the voice acting, most of the jokes and the villain.

Still not a fan of how the turtles/Splinter/April look, and the personalities of Raph, Leo and Splinter especially made me cringe. To me, the show would have worked just as good (maybe better) if they just made a show with these same plot/characters with some random mutants instead of making this a TMNT show. I’ll give the next few episodes a look, but doubt I’ll keep watching this.

Hopefully, one day we’ll get a new more traditional TMNT show about their early years.
AceDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 09:57 AM   #192
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

Man. Not a fan. There's just not a lot there for me to sink my teeth into and the herky jerky animation style along with the Ren & Stimpy like animation (cross eyed, tongue sticking out ... general sense of "derp") is almost like this is a parody show.

Midnight's Edge did a pretty good overview on the first episode that was in line with my general consensus as well.

Old 08-13-2018, 04:02 PM   #193
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Those... are not rat teeth. Nor human teeth. I'm scared.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:36 AM   #194
shredder orokusaki
Mad Scientist

He is mutant that why he is like that. But i will kill him soon and end his misery!
Old 09-24-2018, 05:30 PM   #195
Nightmares
New Recruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredder orokusaki View Post
He is mutant that why he is like that. But i will kill him soon and end his misery!
Are you going to spend your entire life pretending to be a fictional character?
Nightmares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:01 AM   #196
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
https://i.imgur.com/NluNNJj.jpg

Those... are not rat teeth. Nor human teeth. I'm scared.
Maybe he started out as a chimp?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 12:16 PM   #197
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Maybe he started out as a chimp?
Hm, decent theory. Yoshi the escaped/stolen chimpanzee from the zoo.
Old 10-27-2018, 02:14 AM   #198
victory_angel
Foot Elite

Overall this episode was interesting, but I don’t find it a compelling first episode. I don’t mind that we haven’t been given any real origin to how to the Turtles met April or how they were mutated. While often we learn about the Turtles origins in early if not first episodes of a series, that concept isn’t always needed in every single version of the Turtles. Currently, the series is establishing itself and giving us a chance to know the characters and it will explain their origin in its own time.

However, this episode doesn’t really do much really establish any of the characters or who they are. While people who are familiar with the franchise will know the character traits of each of the Turtles and what role each of them has on the team. For someone who is new to the franchise, they all may as well be the same character.

Splinter is also a turn off in this series. While Eric Bauza is obviously enjoying the role and he plays it well. This is also just coming off 2012 incarnation where Splinter serves the role of both the wise and patient sensei as well as the role of the strict and caring parent. Seeing Splinter as a lazy, self-centered, caricature of himself who mostly refers to his sons by their signature color rather than their names. That just feels like an insult to all the previous televised incarnations of the character.

So this without a doubt is my least favorite versions of Splinter and this series would certainly have to a lot to restore any faith in this variation of the character.

Now for Baron Draxum as one of the larger villains of this series. The character is intriguing, but so far I’m not impressed with him. We don’t really have a solid idea about who he is or his motivations for wanting to cause mutations. One consistent thing with TMNT is their outstanding villains, such as the Shredder or Krang. The moment they are introduced you don’t need to really know anything about them, because you already know whatever they are interested in doing it doesn’t bode well for the four turtles. Even the mediocre bad guys such as the Purple Dragons are capable enemies during establishing episodes of the series.

All we have to go on is that Draxum supposedly was the person who had first mutated the Turtles years ago. Not to knock John Cena as a voice actor, he is obviously trying to do this new villain justice. Unfortunately, I don’t feel any sort of menace in this character. Voice talent such as Kevin Michael Richardson or even Eric Bouza are more convincing as villains because they can achieve a sinister tone that clearly says this person is a threat.

John Cena is also an expensive actor to have on the episode budget, so he is likely only contacted for a limited number of episodes. This, unfortunately, means we aren’t able to delve into his character as a villain as much as we should be doing since he is being marketed as one of the big bads of this series. Also, I really don’t see much point to creating a new villain, when there are other villains that are just as dangerous as the Shredder who haven’t had a TV debut as of yet. Null is a good example, this character is the deadliest enemy the turtles have face aside from the Shredder himself. However, this character has only existed in the Archie and the IDW comics.

For example, in the IDW version, Null is the CEO of a business conglomerate that sought to create and exploit mutants for profit. That right there could have been suitable and understandable motivation for wanting to mutate the city of New York.

Archie Null is a bit dicier as he does have an arc that would come across as copy and paste of the Apocalypse arc from X-Men. Essentially there was a three-part arc where he controls the four horsemen of the apocalypse, Death, Famine, War, and Pestilence. However in this regard he only really commands Death and in turn, Death controls the other three horsemen like puppets. Yet, you can have the same situation if you replace the four horsemen something else, such as with the four holy beasts of Asia, Suzaku, Seiryuu, Byakko, and Gembu.

Perhaps the only reason this character has never appeared on a TV version is that Null is a devil, but still, there are ways of getting around that. Besides it’s not like other versions of the TMNT haven’t had demonic characters on the villain roster so Null being Satan himself (or herself in the case of the IDW) isn’t much of an excuse.

As for the mystic weapons, they are an interesting plot device but I feel they were too conveniently found. All four are just there and glowing with each of the Turtles signature colors as though these weapons were meant to be theirs from the start.

What would have been better is if they had picked up a seemingly random weapon they thought would work for or suited them. Then in the midsts of battle have it suddenly revealed that these weapons have mystic powers. I do appreciate the fact that the Turtles were not able to effectively use the power of their weapons from the very start, meaning that they would at least take the time to learn how to effectively control their weapons gradually over the course of the series.

I’m also not surprised that Donnie chose to reject the mystic staff and remain with his tech bo. After all most versions of this character tend to have a dubious view if not an outright bias against spiritual or mystical aspects. This version of Donnie doesn’t outright denounce mysticism but he does rigidly stay with his tech bo because that is something familiar that he knows he can trust. Still, I do believe the mystic staff will fall into his possession eventually since why going to the trouble of including a mystic weapon for him if he wasn’t going end up using it later on.