The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 07-26-2019, 08:06 PM   #101
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

So we know more now. Both Sirtis AND Frakes (no surprise on him anyway... he tweeted weeks ago a picture of a trombone and "my next role") are confirmed for it (they've tweeted such officially now)... as well as the actor that played Hugh. Hugh coupled with Seven of Nine coupled with giant Borg ships being occupied by Romulans, coupled by Borg bodies being messed with really points to this being a big Borg affair, alright.

Kinda disappointing, in a way. While I miss The Borg stories I was really looking forward to something more... quiet, retrospective. At least for this season. No, not just Picard milling around his vineyard... but more lowkey than Wolf 359 Part 2, which is what this smells like it will be.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 07-26-2019 at 10:59 PM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 10:24 PM   #102
CyberCubed
Overlord

The whole show will likely be based on nostalgia and fanservice with old characters and plots touched on to make up for people disappointed with the new reboot movies or Discovery. Basically this show will be catered to the fans complaining over the last decade...for better or worse.

Although we know with other franchises that are rebooted or continued for nostalgia or fanservice, it's not always a good thing. I guess we'll see. I fully expect stuff to be like, "Hey remember this episode?" or "Look we brought up this random character!" or "*wink wink* remember this?" type of stuff, or "here are the old lines and catch phrases you remember like, "Engage."
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 11:01 PM   #103
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The whole show will likely be based on nostalgia and fanservice with old characters and plots touched on to make up for people disappointed with the new reboot movies or Discovery. Basically this show will be catered to the fans complaining over the last decade...for better or worse.

Although we know with other franchises that are rebooted or continued for nostalgia or fanservice, it's not always a good thing. I guess we'll see. I fully expect stuff to be like, "Hey remember this episode?" or "Look we brought up this random character!" or "*wink wink* remember this?" type of stuff, or "here are the old lines and catch phrases you remember like, "Engage."
I think 25% fanservice (actual fan service, as in adherence to actual canon and not STD's FAKE canon, or stuff flying in the face of it, and actual characters from TNG sprinkled throughout) and 75% STD stuff. Like, the mandatory # of explosions per episode, people screaming at each other, probably a few forced scenes every episode or so to fulfill the Bechdel Test, at least 2 or 3 LGBTQ characters that interact with one another every episode even if it doesn't really serve the plot, and big action/battle stuff.
Old 07-29-2019, 03:40 PM   #104
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Robert Picardo coming back... but next season.

https://trekmovie.com/2019/07/29/rob...rd-season-two/
Old 07-29-2019, 03:57 PM   #105
CyberCubed
Overlord

I don't know how they can handle a literal hologram aging to what the actor looks like now, unless they put some reasoning in that the Doctor, "wants to age like humans" and altered his program to look as he aged each year. Which I guess they can do.

Is Worf confirmed to return? I imagine he would be the first to jump at a chance to come back. Also interesting they're avoiding DS9 characters...at least for now.
Old 07-29-2019, 04:41 PM   #106
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
I don't know how they can handle a literal hologram aging to what the actor looks like now, unless they put some reasoning in that the Doctor, "wants to age like humans" and altered his program to look as he aged each year. Which I guess they can do.
Actually Picardo looks pretty much the same. He's like Christopher Lloyd in that way.

There is an alternative, though... maybe he's not playing the EMH, but maybe Zimmerman?

Quote:
Is Worf confirmed to return?
No. Might not have been any logical way to shove him into this season. He'll be coming along eventually, for sure, though.

It's funny to think the way they must be plotting these seasons. Like in advance, it must be like, "OK, by this episode we need to run into Dr. Crusher, and that episode we need to reconnect with Geordi," etc..

Quote:
Also interesting they're avoiding DS9 characters...at least for now.
Right now it seems the people in it are people connected to the Borg or Hugh's rogue Borg. We have Hugh, we have Seven of Nine... and the more I think about it the more I'm betting that the Data parts we see in that drawer are, in fact, Lore's (last we saw him, he was scheduled to be dismantled, remember?). i.e., we'll get "Data" on the holodeck a little bit and Lore in live action. I bet! Lore had a huge connection to Hugh and his rogue Borg, he was their leader. Something's going on there for sure.

It does beg the question of what happened to B4, though.
Old 07-29-2019, 05:28 PM   #107
Vegita-San
Emperor

My guess is B4 deteriorated and didn't work out.

but, how badly must discovery have flopped for them to be even giving us this much?

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 05:33 PM   #108
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
My guess is B4 deteriorated and didn't work out.
Yeah, something like that. Or lost in a battle, or something. B4 was a physically more primitive body than Data's, anyway.

My guess: Lore will do bad things, but ultimately get "zapped out" of his mind at the end... leaving Picard to be able to restore Data inside Lore's body.

Quote:
but, how badly must discovery have flopped for them to be even giving us this much?
Right?
Old 07-29-2019, 06:18 PM   #109
CyberCubed
Overlord

I dunno he looks visibly older now, this is not what he looked like on Voyager, lol:

I mean I guess they can give him make-up or use some digital de-aging to take away his wrinkles, but this show doesn't have the budget of Marvel movies so it's not like Kurt Russel in Guardians 2 who was de-aged from a near 70 year old man back to what he looked like in his 20's.
Old 07-30-2019, 02:06 AM   #110
newfan
Mad Scientist

If they address the aging they can just write in that the programme design allows him age in apperance? He can just reset when again at whatever point. I don't have an issue with it either way.

Looking forward to this, even if it only lasts a short time it will be good to see Picard again, very much like Stewart as an actor.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 10:23 AM   #111
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
If they address the aging they can just write in that the programme design allows him age in apperance? He can just reset when again at whatever point. I don't have an issue with it either way.
For the Doctor I'd really prefer they just do the best they can with him and never address it at all. Unless it's not the Doctor and it's Zimmerman... in which case they don't need to explain anything.

Quote:
Looking forward to this, even if it only lasts a short time it will be good to see Picard again, very much like Stewart as an actor.
They said the plan is for 3 seasons, so we've got 3 years at least.

Also, it may be coincidence but I notice that the show is set 3 years before the 25th century. 3 years before that, and 3 seasons. Hm. Could "Star Trek: Picard" be a kind of 24th century refresher before they go balls deep in 3 years with a 25th century Enterprise-F or Enterprise-G show for a new generation? It'd be the smart move for sure.
Old 07-30-2019, 02:41 PM   #112
CyberCubed
Overlord

As long as Sir Patrick Stewart doesn’t die in the next few years they will probably want it to have a 5-7 year run. Thankfully he strikes me as someone who is going to live well into his 90’s so i don’t think we have to worry there.

William Shatner still being alive is an example of that.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:57 AM   #113
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Robert Picardo coming back... but next season.

https://trekmovie.com/2019/07/29/rob...rd-season-two/
Hell yeah. That's everybody I wanted to see again from Voyager. Now gimme some DS9 crew!

Quote:

Is Worf confirmed to return? I imagine he would be the first to jump at a chance to come back. Also interesting they're avoiding DS9 characters...at least for now.
Worf absolutely needs to come back.

Quote:
Right now it seems the people in it are people connected to the Borg or Hugh's rogue Borg. We have Hugh, we have Seven of Nine... and the more I think about it the more I'm betting that the Data parts we see in that drawer are, in fact, Lore's (last we saw him, he was scheduled to be dismantled, remember?). i.e., we'll get "Data" on the holodeck a little bit and Lore in live action. I bet! Lore had a huge connection to Hugh and his rogue Borg, he was their leader. Something's going on there for sure.

It does beg the question of what happened to B4, though.
Quote:
Yeah, something like that. Or lost in a battle, or something. B4 was a physically more primitive body than Data's, anyway.

My guess: Lore will do bad things, but ultimately get "zapped out" of his mind at the end... leaving Picard to be able to restore Data inside Lore's body.
Your Lore theory makes sense. Good call!
Old 07-31-2019, 10:08 AM   #114
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
For the Doctor I'd really prefer they just do the best they can with him and never address it at all. Unless it's not the Doctor and it's Zimmerman... in which case they don't need to explain anything.

They said the plan is for 3 seasons, so we've got 3 years at least.

Also, it may be coincidence but I notice that the show is set 3 years before the 25th century. 3 years before that, and 3 seasons. Hm. Could "Star Trek: Picard" be a kind of 24th century refresher before they go balls deep in 3 years with a 25th century Enterprise-F or Enterprise-G show for a new generation? It'd be the smart move for sure.

They seem to replace an enterprise every 20 years. either because it's 'old' by 24thcentury tech standards, or it's lost in battle. they are probably ON the F by now......although it might be at the end of it's life cycle so they can introduce the G.

Since Lore was oddly ignored in Nemesis, I think it'd be a safe bet they data might be in him now.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 10:21 AM   #115
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Hell yeah. That's everybody I wanted to see again from Voyager. Now gimme some DS9 crew!
I'd love if season 2 somehow involved the Prophets and a Sisko return. Man, I can't imagine anyone is crazy about rebuilding those giant DS9 sets, though.

Quote:
Your Lore theory makes sense. Good call!
Seems like I'm off... Spiner has said in an interview that it is, in fact, B4 in that drawer:

https://trekmovie.com/2019/07/23/sta...acter-details/

That doesn't mean Lore isn't involved somehow, though.

Also, a kind of concerning quote from the same article, from Stewart:

"And you know what? The world has changed and is changing in terrifying ways right now. And that is one of the things that this new series touches on. I don’t want to make out that it is a political show now, but it always had that element of contemporary society being commented on and that’s what we are doing in this new show."

Yeah, definitely get ready for "Romulan Refugees: The Angry Commentary on Trump's Wall" in the mix of all the Borg business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
They seem to replace an enterprise every 20 years. either because it's 'old' by 24thcentury tech standards, or it's lost in battle.
Yeah, they've got a pretty bad track record.

1701? Destroyed.
1701-B? Almost destroyed in its maiden voyage.
1701-C? Destroyed.
1701-D? Destroyed.

Not good!

Quote:
they are probably ON the F by now......although it might be at the end of it's life cycle so they can introduce the G.
Not that it's canon, but the Enterprise-F already is in service in Star Trek Online:

Er, well... is in the year 2409, anyway. STP isn't even set that far.
Old 07-31-2019, 12:15 PM   #116
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
I'd love if season 2 somehow involved the Prophets and a Sisko return. Man, I can't imagine anyone is crazy about rebuilding those giant DS9 sets, though.
That would be bitching. But I just don't see Brooks wanting to be Sisko ever again. But then again, I didn't see Stewart coming back ever, either... fingers crossed!

Quote:
Seems like I'm off... Spiner has said in an interview that it is, in fact, B4 in that drawer:

https://trekmovie.com/2019/07/23/sta...acter-details/

That doesn't mean Lore isn't involved somehow, though.
THREE Soong-type androids in one season might be too much. Not that I'd complain.

Quote:
Also, a kind of concerning quote from the same article, from Stewart:

"And you know what? The world has changed and is changing in terrifying ways right now. And that is one of the things that this new series touches on. I don’t want to make out that it is a political show now, but it always had that element of contemporary society being commented on and that’s what we are doing in this new show."

Yeah, definitely get ready for "Romulan Refugees: The Angry Commentary on Trump's Wall" in the mix of all the Borg business.
I'm fine with it. It makes sense for the story, given that JJ Abrams had to go and blow up Romulus. A damn stupid idea that screwed over the Prime universe just to launch his crappy reboot, but the ship sailed and there's nowhere to go but forward.

Quote:
Yeah, they've got a pretty bad track record.

1701? Destroyed.
1701-B? Almost destroyed in its maiden voyage.
1701-C? Destroyed.
1701-D? Destroyed.

Not good!
Yeah, but they were always destroyed in the line of duty doing grand and glorious things. Defending a helpless Klingon colony from a Romulan attack; rescuing El-Aurian refugees from the Nexus; defending Veridian III from Soran. And, of course, screwing over Klingons while searching for Spock.

I'd love to see Captain Worf, of the USS Enterprise NCC-1701-F. (Or the USS Defiant-A. I'm not picky.)
Old 07-31-2019, 12:33 PM   #117
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
That would be bitching. But I just don't see Brooks wanting to be Sisko ever again.
No? As we've talked about, I've watched "The Captains" stuff... and while he seems pretty out there and maybe even unable to reprise Sisko again, nothing there made me think he would ever be unwilling to.

Unless he was trolling Shatner the whole time and hates being remembered as Sisko.

Quote:
THREE Soong-type androids in one season might be too much. Not that I'd complain.
Well, if one is just a lost cause in a drawer all season and one is a hologram... it'd be nice to have at least one of them up and walking around.
Old 07-31-2019, 01:08 PM   #118
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
No? As we've talked about, I've watched "The Captains" stuff... and while he seems pretty out there and maybe even unable to reprise Sisko again, nothing there made me think he would ever be unwilling to.

Unless he was trolling Shatner the whole time and hates being remembered as Sisko.

Well, if one is just a lost cause in a drawer all season and one is a hologram... it'd be nice to have at least one of them up and walking around.
I feel like of all the captains, Brooks is the one who has the least interest in being defined by his time on Star Trek. That's why I've always assumed he'd never want to return. But I dearly hope to one day be proven completely wrong!

I doubt Soong would come all the way up on stage and on screen JUST to film one holodeck cameo and one "assembly costs extra" B4 in a drawer.
Old 07-31-2019, 01:45 PM   #119
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
I doubt Soong would come all the way up on stage and on screen JUST to film one holodeck cameo and one "assembly costs extra" B4 in a drawer.
"Data makes appearances in the show, I can say that. And Data is a story point in this season as well. But I’m not in every episode. I’m not a major character on the show."

Which taken in full context... eh, probably means a visit to B4's dissassembly early on, maybe 2 or 3 visits with holodeck Data, and maybe they fix B4/restore Data in him at the end to tease "Full-on Data stuff in season 2!"
Old 07-31-2019, 01:54 PM   #120
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
"Data makes appearances in the show, I can say that. And Data is a story point in this season as well. But I’m not in every episode. I’m not a major character on the show."

Which taken in full context... eh, probably means a visit to B4's dissassembly early on, maybe 2 or 3 visits with holodeck Data, and maybe they fix B4/restore Data in him at the end to tease "Full-on Data stuff in season 2!"
I'd totally be down for that. Yes please.